• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Mains Interview Thread! Interview: Lil Gerald!

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Juu: I'm pretty new to hip-hop, but I'm interested in getting into it. Who are your favorite hip-hop artists, and who would you recommend?

Matt07

Smash Master
What's your best attribute with Mario?
What do you think something you can do too improve your Mario?
What's something that makes your Mario unique?
Favourite genre of movie?
If Xero made a Mario Power Rankings, where would you put yourself and why?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
23. Hm... I really like MF Doom, CYNE, Nujabes, Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, and Lupe Fiasco. Currently, for some reason... I'm listening to Wiz Kalifa. I would recommend them all, but I'd start with CYNE, Cudi and Lupe.
24. My best attribute with Mario? Adaptability, I guess. I always look to try new stuff and implement it into my game. Mario's kind of good for that.
25. Primarily? I think to improve my Mario, I need a lot of experience. I've been to seven tournaments, all of them in state. I still haven't played a lot of people. I've got a lot to learn.
26. What do I think makes my Mario unique? I've played a lot of characters, so I think the fact that I've tried a lot of things out helps my Mario.
27. Action!
28. If Xero made a Mario Power Ranking? Is this for active Mario mains? I dunno, maybe somewhere between 7-10. For people included that don't play him anymore, I don't know if I'm even HM.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
29. I'll definitely try to add to the board in experienced ways and help out when I can, but I dunno. The "nooby" side of the Mario boards is fine too, to an extent, since I think we need both to be run awesomely.

30. Hm... I can't say I know exactly what you mean by "the pychological aspect of smash", but I'll give a shot at it anyway: I think that that aspect is one of the most important aspects of playing smash, like any particularly intrinsic competition. Experience, the tools you're working with and reaction time are all important things, but if you lack what I'm going to generically call "the killer instinct", you're still going to struggle. It's that intangible thing that allows you to land that kill move, position yourself right and take advantage in the clutch that brings home wins. Doesn't matter your playstyle, you could want to blitz straight through someone, hang back and pick spots or whatever, if you have that instinct honed, it'll help you.

There's also confidence, ability to think outside the box, and a short memory. Especially with Mario, you're going to struggle in just about any match up pairing (on paper) you've got. Our plumber's got a lot of tools, most of which are pretty average, but the plus side of those tools is that you can still use them all. You gotta be able and willing to try stuff a different way and have the confidence to keep at it. Also gotta have a short memory when you fail, lol.

31. Something like that, yeah. I'll try to be making my own Mario legacy, but it's not like I'll forget who helped me when I needed it. I give credit where credit is due. I also like reppin' the Wario Mario, so there's a plus.

SKidd

Smash Master
Juu, who's the most inspirational mario main, and brawl player?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
32. Boss is the most inspirational Mario player for me and overall the most inspirational (whether from positive or negative) has to be M2K. He's the best for a reason, even if I don't agree with him on certain things.

33. I have no idea, really. I can't make it to APEX and MLG: NC is more than a stretch than APEX. If there's another MW national soon, I'll try to make it to that. However, I still don't know. I'll be sticking it mostly to the "tristate" of IN, OH, KY.

34. Lol, it wasn't really a question... but that was a really fun set, Frenchman. I'm still a little surprised myself that I got that tech read on my upsmash, game three on Halberd. It kind of turned that game around, allowing me to win that first set.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
35. Not as often as I should, actually. It's a great tool that I haven't quite worked into my game. It's gotten there somewhat... but not really. Still needs to be implemented in.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
36. Yes, I think he would.

Also, it seems like the questions are trickling down to a halt now. Should we interview another Mario?

SKidd

Smash Master
Do we start interviewing n00bs now?

And Juu, how do you play Mario? aggro? campy?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
37. A mix of both. In matchups I'm confident in, I'll play kind of aggressive. Passive aggressive, I suppose. In unfamiliar matchups, I will camp the hell out of you. I like the hybrid, passive aggressive style.

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea, I'll update soon! Sorry for the wait, Juu :(.

And it's dead because no one has asked to be interviewed, so step it up :p.

SKidd

Smash Master
I ask...
that Gerald be interviewed, because he's like the only cool guy left
me is a n00b

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
My bad for not getting back to this. I guess my last answer to a question is this:

38. Unfortunately, I don't know how to cancel FLUDD into U-Smash and Up-B. Someone should defi teach me, though.

I'm curious, are you able to cancel it into Up-tilt as well?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
It's actually because the fact that you can cancel Fludd with shielding, and you can cancel shielding with Usmash/Up-B... so technically you're just cancelling fludd into an OoS option.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
39. Well, I was looking around at the list of anime that were going to be released at that time (unfortunately, I don't remember the season... I think the year was '08?) and it was one of the series that caught my eye. Typically, I'll go through the list of anime of a particular season (say Summer '10) and look at series' premise to see if I want to watch them (say Gakuen Occult from Summer '10) and I'll watch it. Zetsubou-sensei got me with a quirky opening, interesting characters and animation production along side an awesome OP/ED set... in every season.

Top Bottom