• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I just kinda got into Melee. There are still players in Columbus and people actually travel here... but lol. I don't feel like practicing Brawl much.

Also I played against Mars at that tournament last week. He's good but it's sometimes easy to get into his head. He gets frustrated somewhat.

I trolled him for a bit by just camping and waiting for him to throw out some unsafe approaches, but he usually clutched his way back into victory.

He's solid, but it's really ****ing hard to do anything with Mario in Ohio. Really.

:phone:

Inferno3044

Smash Master
So I played with Pierce today and he told me that anyone who loses to a Mario is ***. He is officially a **** because he escaped assdom so many times today. I was so close against basically all of his characters except his Marth and I wanted to say he was *** so badly. Maybe next time.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
What are the censored words? I don't get it :/
Our mods are busy, so might as well break a few rules for the sake of clarification :p

Also, I look at SKidd's little character selection thing and I saw the purple thing. In my mind I was like "Holy ****, SKidd mains Crobat in Smash64."

Newp. Maybe I'm just tired, still cant figure it out

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Trust me, Pierce is behind on Mario's metagame. And our Marth matchup skills are very underdeveloped. I'm convinced it's winnable, just don't let him take you to Halberd mainly.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
While we're on this topic, anyone know where I can get a cheap fightstick? Like 30-40$ range?
I honestly don't think there are sticks that cheap. Even the TVC ones, which were pretty bad, were $50-60.

I'd suggest springing for the official MVC3 one myself. It's expensive ($150), but very much worth it IMO.
Honestly the best stick I've used to date (Although a friend found it too sensitive.).

Our mods are busy, so might as well break a few rules for the sake of clarification :p

Also, I look at SKidd's little character selection thing and I saw the purple thing. In my mind I was like "Holy ****, SKidd mains Crobat in Smash64."
Tsk tsk tsk... Busy but still occasionally check. That being said I also kind of don't care about something so minor.
I found the censored words pretty obvious though. I mean, for one there aren't a whole lot of 3 letter censored words, especially to say tell someone they suck.

Inferno3044

Smash Master

Newp. Maybe I'm just tired, still cant figure it out
So I played with Pierce today and he told me that anyone who loses to a Mario is a$$. He is officially a d!ck because he escaped assdom so many times today. I was so close against basically all of his characters except his Marth and I wanted to say he was a$$ so badly. Maybe next time.

Hope this helps.

Trust me, Pierce is behind on Mario's metagame. And our Marth matchup skills are very underdeveloped. I'm convinced it's winnable, just don't let him take you to Halberd mainly.
I'm convinced that any Marth that loses to a Mario is a$$. Marth will take you to better Marth stages than Halberd.

Also since we are modless I might as well censor dodge. Let's go biznatches!!

Famous

Smash Champion
Nah, If a Marth loses to Mario then either the Mario is amazing or the Marth doesn't know the MU...Marth just annoying to play against at times. This is coming from someone who grew up through this MU

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm convinced that any Marth that loses to a Mario is a$$. Marth will take you to better Marth stages than Halberd.

Also since we are modless I might as well censor dodge. Let's go biznatches!!
Marth can lose against Mario if you legitimately outplay him with a lot of amazing edgeguards that end up gimping him. It's not that hard, just requires some smart reads and good technical skill. This is why you don't want to fight him on Halberd. Your edgeguard game on him is weaker because during the flying transformation, you can't threaten to stagespike him. He also controls the stage pretty well and getting killed earlier by either his U-smash or U-throw is pretty gay given how easily he can chase landings.

I mean sure, his best stage is BF, but the threat of stagespike is really significant in this matchup.

Also Marth is really easy for Mario to juggle. No lie. So long as you realize that U-throw is **** at 0%, and that your Jab cancels are EXTREMELY easy to do on him. You actually don't have to read his Up-B in Jab cancels if you simply just hit confirm Jab2 -> Up-B since that will beat his Up-B.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I want to meet Pierce IRL to update him on Mario's metagame, since I definitely feel I'm one of the most technical Mario users at the moment.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Nah, If a Marth loses to Mario then either the Mario is amazing or the Marth doesn't know the MU...Marth just annoying to play against at times. This is coming from someone who grew up through this MU
I'll agree with you, but the Mario MU is not hard. He just has to swing his sword not like a dumba$$. The Mario can definitely put in work. I've never been 2 stocked by a Marth in tourney.

Marth can lose against Mario if you legitimately outplay him with a lot of amazing edgeguards that end up gimping him. Halberd. Your edgeguard game on him is weaker because during the flying transformation, you can't threaten to stagespike him. He also controls the stage pretty well and getting killed earlier by either his U-smash or U-throw is pretty gay given how easily he can chase landings.

I mean sure, his best stage is BF, but the threat of stagespike is really significant in this matchup.

Also Marth is really easy for Mario to juggle. No lie. So long as you realize that U-throw is **** at 0%, and that your Jab cancels are EXTREMELY easy to do on him. You actually don't have to read his Up-B in Jab cancels if you simply just hit confirm Jab2 -> Up-B since that will beat his Up-B.
When did Marth kill with Uthrow? Also having to rely on a stage spike means the MU is pretty bad. Especially since it's preventable via teching the stage.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
No doubt, M2K is crazy good.

I think Logic made some kinda silly errors and was definitely outplayed pretty hard. He didn't really have to get hit by a lot of that stuff. I almost felt like he just wasn't really trying at some point.
i mentally gave up after game 1. he killed my first stock, then flew under stage on smahville. i knew its actually impossible to beat m2k game 3 as long as brinstar/rainbow are legal, so its was pointless to try from that point

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
When did Marth kill with Uthrow? Also having to rely on a stage spike means the MU is pretty bad. Especially since it's preventable via teching the stage.
Stage spike edgeguards are legit in this game and not easy to tech consistently. They are competitively reliable. Donkey Kong players know this. Now a game where stagespiking should realistically never happen to you is Melee (where you can basically buffer your tech, while you can't in Brawl), and yet even top players do get stagespiked in that game. Even without a stagespike, invincible edgedrop edgeguarding Marth ***** him done correctly and should be abused especially since Mario is one of the better characters in the game at exploiting this tactic. On Halberd though Marth doesn't have to worry about the stagespike, so he can just expect to be hit towards the stage and then survival DI the hit so that he can recover safely. On any other stage even if he managed to tech (which is very difficult to the point of being competitively inconsistent), he would still be forced to Up-B again in a horrible position.

And the point is Marth can chase landings reliably with either grab or U-smash. Halberd's low ceiling is very beneficial for those two options for Marth, since both of them are reliable. The heavy hitters are not the ones that really benefit all that much from small blastzones since for them, the game is always about capitalizing on screwups a few times and winning by virtue of sheer reward, which is much more noticeable on a stage with huge blastzones where they still kill everything ridiculously early and where everyone else has to wait forever for their setups to get anywhere. It's the control characters who exercise consistency in setups where small blastzones are more beneficial.

And I've made this argument before, but small blastzones have the same effect as Super Sudden Death, just significantly less extreme. The ability to KO is balanced on a small blastzone for the most part, and the KO moves that mathematically benefit more are weaker ones, which generally speaking tend to be designed to be easier to set up. Throws that have even the slightest bit of KO potential also have to be considered on small blastzones because throws can always be kept fresh and grabs are fundamentally not hard for most characters to get.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
So I am at a tourney right now and did really badly. I crashed, woke up, felt like crap, lost to a bad Dk, crashed again, lost to a diddy, and I feel like I wanna crash again. I feel like *****.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Thanks Matt. Honestly, ever since VC8 back in October I've been alternating on performance. I do well in tourney and then the next one I do bad. This tourney happened to be one where the cycle said I'd do bad. But I felt terrible. The DK I played isn't very good, but he is very gimmicky. He threw very gimmicky tricks and I just got hit by them. After the set I basically zombie walked back to the couch and slept more lol. I played like a scrub and ADHD agreed that I did saying I just threw out moves (which I did. I barely knew what I was doing) I have faith that I'll do better next time. My cycle says I'll do well.

@Xero - Me too man!

2fast

Smash Journeyman
^ That happens to me a lot as well. I do well one tourney and then the next I play like a scrub. I know how you feel bro...

Player-1

Smash Legend
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 10,908
User Name Posts
XeroXen 796
vato_break 744
Inferno3044 659
Matador 632
A2ZOMG 591
hippiedude92 553
Matt07 541
Kanzaki 517
fromundaman 368
Famous 313
KirinBlaze 298
Calebyte 281
HeroMystic 275
JuxtaposeX 261
$Lil' Gerald Is In Dat Style$ 260
Veggi 253
:mad: 213
Fire! 205
Javon89 180
BoTastic! 174
Big-Omar 170
Jimmyfosho 155
SKidd 145
Coolwhip 141
JUDGE 123
Monk/Honkey/Banana 112
2fast 112
GHNeko 112
Juushichi 109
mars16 109
condemned_soul 91
Dajayman 75
boss8 66
BSP 57
SkylerOcon 53
ThatGuy 50
ΡΨ 46
_Kadaj_ 46
Flameleon 43
pPp Suspect 42
UberMario 38
Omari 34
Smash G 0 D 33
FrankPizzi 29
Sleek Media 29
Gheb_01 24
Delta-cod 21
Dark.Pch 20
Z'zgashi 19
bobson 19
Douhneill 19
Mario_ 101 18
MP8 17
thegreatkazoo 15
Yink 15
The Nutz of Norcal Deez 15
Dragonmaster_Omega 14
Regs Money 14
adumbrodeus 14
Fatmanonice 13
Dory 13
hadesblade 12
Diddyknight 12
KYOJI!!! 11
Reducas 11
Pierce7d 11
S.O.L.I.D. 11
SuSa 11
1 Lucky Pikachu 10
Ismael 8
xbrawlmasterx 8
Monkley6 8
Bartolon 8
Braxton2011 7
Morrigan 7
Storm 7
RedHalberd 7
Espy Kasrani 7
Oreo (Excel) 6
King Massakeke 6
DJayS 6
SatoshiMinamino 6
Icyo 6
WassupJB 6
FightAdamantEevee 5
Luckay4Lyphe 5
CelestialMarauder~ 5
Dr.Squid 5
ViceGrip 5
~Pink Fresh~ 5
Allied 5
Xyro77 5
Punishment Divine 5
Pokemon Trainer Red 5
Ray_Kalm 5
Mar**** 4
Count 4
Teh Future 4
Judge Judy 4
kirbyfan66 4
Fuujin 4
Scatz 4
JayDeth 4
mikeHAZE 4
-Sensei- 4
deathbysuarez 3
M4ge 3
SHeLL 3
HentaiKing4Everr 3
JustNoOne 3
Liquid Gen 3
Metatitan 3
jmanxiv 3
Chaco 3
yummynbeefy 3
smokey da bear 3
stealth3654 3
Theburningfireball 3
Mr. game and watch 3
DOMON!!! 3
KMFBrawler 3
GameDragonX 3
clowsui 3
Frost94 2
zhao_guang 2
phi1ny3 2
dabuz 2
Chuee 2
Albert. 2
Cheeri-Oats 2
~momentai~ 2
Omni 2
shanus 2
Megavitamins 2
Player-3 2
KhaosTy 2
Javix 2
Today 2
Xyless 2
stack 2
Mozz 2
choknater 2
♛Viper 2
Kola 2
SuperMarioFan546 2
Vinnie 2
Paladin77 2
xIblisx 2
exdia_16 2
Abel1994 2
TRLahti 2
Infern Angelis 2
PhantomX 2
Asdioh 2
fraudster111 1
bluethunder 1
makoforce 1
NJzFinest 1
Sensei Seibrik 1
GameStation aka C4?! 1
Airborne 1
Sosuke 1
Darkshadow96 1
illinialex24 1
Z1GMA 1
JOE! 1
Spelt 1
A17 1
321BOOM 1
POONR 1
lilseph 1
Flayl 1
Keitaro 1
victra♥ 1
bigman40 1
Hardgainer08 1
Nokon 1
WhatIsRaizen? 1
pacmansays 1
o-Serin-o 1
Krystedez 1
TheStealthyDude 1
Rockstar 1
lilchrome850 1
Abscent 1
manofgames4555 1
Jungle 1
Biinii 1
TP 1
professor mgw 1
Tin Man 1
links24 1
6Mizu 1
J 1
Bing 1
Eggz 1
Germs Lady 1
Levitas 1
Yonder 1
VSC.D-Torr 1
PK-ow! 1
AllyKnight 1
DTP 1
Sgt. Baker 1
shinyspoon42 1
Evil-Guy 1
Urlon 1
gogs 1
Segtendo 1
Zulu Nation 1
Illmatic. 1
Sol Diviner 1
Mic_128 1
SilverSpark 1
CHEAP PEACH 1
Pyronic_Star 1
TheMogX 1
The Trump Card 1
MorphedChaos 1
saviorslegacy 1
Spoonbob 1
triforce magic 1
dablackpacman 1
Supreme Dirt 1
Joemama8 1
Teebs 1
jiovanni007 1
★J.G WentWorth★ 1
Snakeee 1
hunger! 1
SOVAman 1
CR4SH 1
FlameWaveK 1
Bakithi 1
waterfall6464 1
Man of Popsicle 1
KayLo! 1
xTrav8 1
jounint 1
KassandraNova 1
Kuro~ 1
rm88 1
toasty 1
VaNz 1
Airgemini 1
∫unk 1
Kewkky 1
Rukkiko 1
weslo 1
Boxob. 1
bleyva 1
mostri 1
YarsRevengerson 1
Envy 1
Eazy23 1
Show Thread & Close Window

hey zubad ;D

Matt07

Smash Master
Good job, Jimmy :).

Also grats on beating Lucario later on, he can definitely be a pain to fight. And Ness is a pretty weird character for me to play against in general.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I can't believe that I've spent 1000 posts NOT on the Mario boards.

Top Bottom