• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

2fast

Smash Journeyman
Hapy b-day Fire ma man! And glad to hear a Mario is improving. All Mario's are improving though :D.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The more I improve with Mario, the more I realize Mario users REALLY need to learn how to edgeguard.

Seriously, Mario is actually pretty stupidly good at it once you realize most of his aerials are really practical after an invincible edgedrop. Mario's invincible edgedrop edgeguards are basically about as powerful as Metaknight's rewardwise if you do them correctly. There aren't THAT many characters who are as floaty as Mario that have a decent selection of fast horizontal hitting aerials. As basic as this option is, it's especially good for Mario.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
My main issue with mars is that he spotdodges too much and it works on wifi, but outside of that he's definitely more solid than he was a while ago.
Been making use of auto-jab and charged smashes...so it wasn't rampant in our matches.

However, we had an amazing connection, which is why I could bear playing for 3 hours.

:phone:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Meh my connection with him wasn't particularly great. Autojabbing of course worked just fine, but timing anything else was difficult enough to make me upset. I hate the Mario ditto in general though especially on wifi given how campy it is.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Ehhh, I have a question. Unlike boss & famous. Who else has the best/Pretty legit mario ditto matches on youtube right now?

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Its rare for me to be the first to leave after playing long!
my brian was fried after playing so long lol.
but if it was on a weekand day i would till the next day, or at least until the person im playing left first
Sorry bout my text..
I said "lime"

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
no mario ditto is legit. They all gay son
Pretty much this.

Mario ditto is won by the person who just camps more. Mario zones himself extremely well. Fireballs force him to face forward. U-smash and U-tilt anti-air approaches really well. B-air and F-smash spacing is very difficult for him to punish.

The best part of the matchup is that edgeguards aren't braindead, but super legit in this matchup. Otherwise it's extremely boring. To be honest Mario dittos in Brawl are pretty much identical to Mario dittos in Melee. Just in Melee U-tilt is better, U-smash is worse, edgeguarding is a little more braindead, and F-smash is even more stupidly safe. And crouch canceling ***** most moves not named Grab, F-air, or Smashes.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You should be 2stocking in that matchup. It's 65/35 - 7/3 Mario's favor. Then again it was 3 years ago.

Most likely you'll find me at E4J Lance. Probably not entering Genesis.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
You should be 2stocking in that matchup. It's 65/35 - 7/3 Mario's favor. Then again it was 3 years ago.

Most likely you'll find me at E4J Lance. Probably not entering Genesis.
Yeah. That was when we thought Ganon > Jiggs, Link, and C. Falcon

So guys, how's it feel to be inferior to Lucario?
How's it feel that you have to go to the Mario boards to feel superior?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm honestly shocked that people thought and still think Jiggs is low-bottom tier.

Makes me respect intelligent guys like Adumbrodeus all the more.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
No doubt, M2K is crazy good.

I think Logic made some kinda silly errors and was definitely outplayed pretty hard. He didn't really have to get hit by a lot of that stuff. I almost felt like he just wasn't really trying at some point.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey I apologize to you guys for not stopping by very often. TBH I don't have much spare time these days and the little I do have I rarely spend on here since I pretty much don't play this game anymore (No one where I live seems to play anymore, and as a result neither do I.).

If you guys need stuff, send me VMs or PMs until they get you a new mod.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You know, I was thinking that same thing as I was typing it. Sorry :(

What can I say, it came at a bad time. For pretty much the last 3 years I've been on this site daily and playing on a weekly basis. I'm given obligations right when I no longer have time for them and no longer am able to play (Which makes my interest in the game fade.).
I just hope it doesn't take too long to get you guys a new mod.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
The Mario boards don't seem to get much traffic in terms of mods. I don't see why we haven't been exploiting this. :awesome:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Caleb is our mod. Btw, where the hell is he?
He would be doing whatever the hell he is doing. I haven't spoke with him either.

Oh yeah, I'm honestly not feeling Brawl anymore. The community around here is nonexistent while we have amazing players from various fighting games around here, so I decided I might as well get into them. Rides to tournaments are always nice too, so I'm probably done.

I will still probably enter smash tournaments that have BBSCII events though.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I haven't seen Caleb in months, so I assumed he left. I'm pretty much in the same boat as Xero. I get to play great MVC3 players on a regular basis and no smashers, so yeah...

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
While we're on this topic, anyone know where I can get a cheap fightstick? Like 30-40$ range?

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You sure you want one that cheap? The more expensive ones are definitely worth it (from what I hear, lol.)

@Skidd: Same 'ol bull****, mah dood.

:phone:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fireballs are lame in the Mario ditto because Mario has to stop or butcher his approach in order to deal with them. When you put a fireball in front of you, Mario only has a few options to work past it. He can throw out his aerials preemtively to swat the fireball if he thinks the other Mario user will approach, which of course can be risky if the other Mario user isn't doing that. He can powershield, which generally isn't going to lead to much. Or he can go over them, which leaves him open to be anti-aired. And of course if he gets hit by the fireball, approach is stopped. Actually approaching with fireballs is rarely going to work since the other Mario user should also be spamming fireballs which get in the way of that.

Even more lame is if the Mario users get into a war of tossing and Caping Fireballs, where nobody is able to approach effectively.

All in all Fireballs really limit his mobility, and Mario walls himself really well since his retreat game >>>> his approach game. It's been that way since Melee. The gayer Mario wins the ditto.

After looking at my old guide to Mario, which is still pretty relevant, I'm feeling like I should make a new advanced guide to using Mario. There's a bunch of stuff I have had to repeat a lot of times, and things have changed a bit over the years since the original guide was written. The old guide I feel definitely still covers everything you need to know to get familiar with Mario. The new guide I am to write intends to bring our collective metagame to an appropriate updated standard.

It will probably be complimented by video commentary, so that I can explain while demonstrating the technical things that I feel Mario users should be doing.

Top Bottom