• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm honestly starting to think Mario is the bottom of C-Tier. I have several groups of people I play with: random scrubs, random scrubs I try to teach, non-scrubs I try to teach, my crew, other people from the smash community. I don't think I could ever lose to Mario with Marth, but then, I'm a top level Marth, and that's super hard for Mario. I beat a moderately proficient Marth with Mario today, and looked sexy as hell while doing it. I can beat pretty much everyone that I can beat with Marth, with Mario (though I wouldn't bet a tourney set on it) with the exception of Snake, MK, and D3 mains.

I've decided. After Genesis, I will play at least two tourneys going all Mario. It's not like I'm losing money, seeing as I usually place 4th to 9th, under Inui, Shadow, Anti, M2k, Ksizzle, DM, Snakeee, ADHD, or Atomsk depending on the day (I don't lose to all of these players all the time, I just sometimes get out placed by them, and sometimes they beat me). At any rate, I'm not generally placing top three. Even when I get the chance, something gay usually happens, lol. So, I might as well play Mario and see how I do. I'm not particularly concerned about ranking this season, as we're well underway, and I've been to about 2 of 6 tourneys this season.

In short, I have nothing to lose, and I really like playing this character, so I'll give it a spin. Fortunately, I have my brother to help me train against MK, and if anyone counter picks D3 on me, I'll just go Falco on them so I can progress in tourney and get more experience. I feel like I might get a 13th place with Mario. We'll see what goes down.

EDIT: Haha, Famous. It's probably because I know Marth's weakness better than n00bs know his strengths (or weaknesses) so I know what to do with Mario to beat him. Still, it's really hard vs. super smart Marth's. I wouldn't fight my Marth with Mario. I'm eager to fight you, just to see why you're so confident in the match-up.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Wait, you dual main Mario and Link, yet you'd use Link on Kirby? :confused:
Marth against kirby is a great idea though... You don't even really need to know how to play Marth to beat a decent Kirby. Just space and you win.
Yeah. For the sake of I have 3 projectiles and a Zair that keeps Kirby from Bair camping and approaching me. Despite the fact he has a VERY gimpable recovery, I can usually keep Kirby at bay with fancy arrows and boomerangs offstage. I'm better at Link/Kirby then I am at Mario/Kirby. I just feel more comfortable playing Link against him, as bad as the match-up is.

I came EXTREMELY close to beating Allied's Kirby in a tournament set a few weeks ago with Link, I lost 2-1 and it came down to the wire in game 3. I was able to keep him from Bair or Dair approaching me with Zair and he had to completely change the way he was playing against me to get inside.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I think Kirby is just a slightly better version of Mario, but the match-up is pretty darned close. I just picked up Kirby recently (like, within this last week), and one of my apprentices mains Mario. He's getting pretty smart, and does well against me. He even has taken a few games off my Kirby, and that's more than I can say for my Marth, MK, Falco, Mario or G&W. Just, know how much lag Kirby has, jab a lot, know when to ftilt, know how to cape and edgeguard, know how to use Fireballs, know how to retreat, and don't fall into traps.

EDIT: And Uair wins, but don't get gimped.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I just don't play that Match-Up a lot as Mario, or anyone, since we really don't have any outstanding Kirby's here. I have very good Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Marth, Snake, and I guess GnW experience from playing just locally.

Famous

Smash Champion
I'm eager to fight you, just to see why you're so confident in the match-up.
We'll get our chance...I wanted to play you at CoT4 but you were playing Reflex at the time....I don't remember what I did afterwards....Oh yeah, went to play DMBrandon..Ugh, took me to Rainbow Cruise 3rd game...I'll remember his sly antics next time =]

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah. For the sake of I have 3 projectiles and a Zair that keeps Kirby from Bair camping and approaching me. Despite the fact he has a VERY gimpable recovery, I can usually keep Kirby at bay with fancy arrows and boomerangs offstage. I'm better at Link/Kirby then I am at Mario/Kirby. I just feel more comfortable playing Link against him, as bad as the match-up is.

I came EXTREMELY close to beating Allied's Kirby in a tournament set a few weeks ago with Link, I lost 2-1 and it came down to the wire in game 3. I was able to keep him from Bair or Dair approaching me with Zair and he had to completely change the way he was playing against me to get inside.
I can understand that (I have a few matchups like that, like Diddy). It just seems weird when you stop to think about it.

Also, I heard about that set. Was it recorded?
Nice job regardless!

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
We'll get our chance...I wanted to play you at CoT4 but you were playing Reflex at the time....I don't remember what I did afterwards....Oh yeah, went to play DMBrandon..Ugh, took me to Rainbow Cruise 3rd game...I'll remember his sly antics next time =]
Ugh, Reflex. The name haunts me. He made me look like such a scrub, but I know better now. I can't WAIT to rematch him at Genesis.

Also, always ban RC against DmBrandon. He's actually really good on that stage, mostly because he does lots of crazy stuff and it's a really crazy stage. Well, that and he actually spent a lot of time looking into that stage. Unfortunately, Frigate is really gay for both Marth and Mario.

You gonna be at Genesis?

Yes, but I wasn't very good with following up on FIHL back then. I could probably take on G&W with my current skills now though.
I find the trick vs G&W is to take advantage of his blinding predictablity. Smash DI up out of Bair and punish, perfect shield Dair and punish with jab or ftilt if he's in front or Dair/Bair or Usmash OOS if he's behind. Also, use UpB at liberty. It's hard, but not too hard. I feel that any character except Ganon can fight G&W. His weakness just aren't understood, but people are learning.

Famous

Smash Champion
Idk if I'll be at genesis or not...Money is looking extremely tight >.<

I can't even enter 5$ local tournies atm...<.<

I'll be at HERB2 without question...It also looks like I'll miss Chu's 3rd Dojo -_-;

Veggi

Smash Champion
What tourney were you at? I was looking at a tourney on live stream and saw people scrolling through tags and saw "CM" as one of them and then I saw a Peach main who used the Wiichuck and was really good, which I think you were telling me about earlier. The tourney was today too.

I guess my DK experience wasn't much help it seems.

Edit: zhao, there was an uncomfortable feeling in my heart that came from you not charging your FLUDD. I guess charging FLUDD is such an engraved habit to me that it feels wierd to see people not charge it. That is all. Fair spike at the end was pro too.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
no i just choked on the last second >_> basically, i was in losers bracket, had to fight a DK player, 2 stocked him with mario lolol, then he cp'd deflino/D3, then i made a comeback but i still lost it was 120% both of us last stock. i was gonna cp marth on d3, but eh, i kinda forgot -_-.

so i cp'd marth on bf, i was losing REALLY BADLY until i beasted on his second stock with 25% on my last stock, but i took some fatal hits ended up at 115%, but i gotten beast mode on him and i wasnt sure if i should go for a dair spike so i was scared. it was gay too cuz i rushed abit too much and he just kept doing bull**** wake up edge atks on me and i still got hit, but i made a fatal mistake, i got shield grabbed bthrow'd off stage, so I Di'd up but I expected him to ledgedrop Bair since it covers wtf distance at me, so I figured I'd DI'd away and far down to the lower right corner, and db stall then gimp him, but he ledgedrop and bair'd me with almost near the tip and killed me. We were at like 115 % vs 119% at last stock. It was honestly most stupid **** ever srsly. Didn't even land a giant punch on me jeez man -_-. ****ing ******** *** **** idk why i lose to dk even though i got good exp and i memorize the matchup but i can't pull off reflexive ****.

it's even more gay because i just realized i could have cp'd with mario but he changed from D3 to DK, so i figured it'd end up as marth vs D3. ugh jeez i hate stupid d3s and dks -_-

Veggi

Smash Champion
D3 can be frustrating for my Mario and DK. That's why I switch to Peach when that matchup comes because I trained her specifically to kill him. I use Peach against DK as well because the matchups are kind of similar.

What tourney did you go to?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
play n trade, i didn't really choke or anything, though got some nervous but not as high as i would expect of. but still **** man. but when he bthrow'd me, i was in like in a slow motion thinking, whether which way i should DI or not, because if i get hit by a bair, it could be game over or not. **** man -_-. i just really had to DI up and fastfall down to lower blast zones only to get ko'd by like nearly tip of dk's foot ugh so stupid.

Veggi

Smash Champion
DK has ridiculous range on his bair, if you up b against it I think it trades hits, so I'm not sure if that would be a good idea either. Mario would probably be a safer bet against DK because I feel pretty comfortable against Marth as DK.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I got 2nd/21 in low tier event today =D

the matches were close but.. does losing to ally's falcon make me suck? T-T

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'll be out of town today until Thursday. Though I don't know who, I'm pretty sure somebody will checking in to make sure you guys don't cause the internet to implode, so don't do anything to get you in trouble (unless it's Ness bashing).

Xyless

Smash Master
Bo's Mario is too good. Pretty much everyone here was predicting him winning the tournament up until finding out Ally was coming.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I had an epic doubles match yesterday :D

Me and my partner(Pikachu) vs. Havok(Metaknight) and MikeHAZE(Marth).

I gimped MikeHAZE, Havok comes out to save, in the process, I gimped Havok, so MikeHAZE goes to save, so I gimped MikeHAZE again, and then Havok saves him, so I gimped Havok again, but then again he was saved by MikeHAZE, so then again, I gimped MikeHAZE, Havok saves yet AGAIN, and then this happend a few more times til I gimped both at the same time ^^

We ended up losing the set, they're both ranked SoCal players, but that was an epic moment :D

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
kanzaki, that's pretty epic. How did your team do? (and bad luck having to face those two.)

Top Bottom