• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Matt07

Smash Master
Guys tell me what to do against a really good marth, now.

I need this knowledge BADLY.
Well supposedly his d-air beats all of our options (literally we can't do anything), and since our range 'sucks' he can just swing his sword around and not worry about anything. And they can constantly powershield any projectiles hurled at them.

What can I say? Your screwed buddy :(.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, Marth is a character you want a secondary for (along with Lucario IMO. Maybe MK and Wario too. I don't know, I don't use Mario against them.).

ThatGuy

Smash Master
What calibur is this Marth?

You can't outspace an equally skilled Marth, so you'll have to play a more timing-based game. Snipe him in between aerials with Bair. Dair is a good move to use once inside his range, as it will pop him up and get you into his blind spot which is directly underneath him. Predict when he will UpB in close quarters, and be especially wary of it on Battlefield and other stages where he can land safely on an upper platform. If he does an aerial really close to you, he's probably trying to bait you into an attack; Marth is a slippery mother****er that just glides away majestically whenever he feels like it, so don't charge into his Fsmash.

At 0%, he can Fthrow into Fsmash guaranteed. Nothing you can do about it; you deserve it for getting grabbed at 0% :lick:.

He's also solid at edgeguarding of course, I recommend you recover high. Learn to time edgehogs so he can't recover safely. You can FIHL his Fair but it's obviously gimmicky and won't be the reason you win matches. Usmash is a good friend. Up-angled Fsmash is also very nice (amazing once you get his Fair rhythm down).

Famous

Smash Champion
Marth isn't that hard =/

He won't ever approach you...If he does, punish him OoS...If he doesn't(like most do) camp him with fireballs until he does...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
When it comes to Marth, you hit him, and you don't stop hitting. Stay on his *** like a horny kid watching pr0n.

Marth is not hard, seriously.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
On this fine 4:40 AM EST time, I need a good guide to write for Marios since I never wrote anything for Marios cept luigi lol.

Ideas anyone wants? we can also contribute it to the thick guide Straked trying to make.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Playing off the ledge, like Famous always does. Zoning, working on predictability, a guide on when to spam, who to spam on, and how it affects the MU.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, vs Marth is all about momentum. Either he's comboing the hell out of you, or you're comboing the hell out of him. When he has HIS momentum, run away and hide in your shield if he follows you. Do something OOS if he hits your shield and retake the match. If not, retreat your fireballs from a safe distance till you find yourself an opening.

Learn how to edgehog without cape. It's significantly slower than fastfalling to the ledge. You need to be fast to the ledge in this matchup since he can stall as well.

And lol @ his Dair. That move is so terrible.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, vs Marth is all about momentum. Either he's comboing the hell out of you, or you're comboing the hell out of him. When he has HIS momentum, run away and hide in your shield if he follows you. Do something OOS if he hits your shield and retake the match. If not, retreat your fireballs from a safe distance till you find yourself an opening.

Learn how to edgehog without cape. It's significantly slower than fastfalling to the ledge. You need to be fast to the ledge in this matchup since he can stall as well.

And lol @ his Dair. That move is so terrible.
I really, really hate playing Marths online. I was just recently told that Marth is the second worst character you could play over wi-fi. But I take that as a john from the other player and choose to ignore it. I even landed a cape teleport a few hours ago.

The same could be said about our Fair. Laggy spike that we only do to look fancy because it's so easy to meteor cancel. :p

rofl marth. fair fair dancing blade fair nair dancing blade grab fthrow fair repeat.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah...but wifi's all about frame traps...and Marth's got em online.

I learned how to Isai drop on BF. I felt so epic doing it.

I also took a match off this D3 trying to infinite me in tourney. I should've CP'd, but I've rarely done the matchup...and it was too tempting XD

Veggi

Smash Champion
What's an Isai drop and who is the worst character online supposed to be?

Good stuff Matador, I learned it's actually not as hard as you would think to not grabbed if you fireball camp and do dairs and stuff. The grab is eventually going to come of course because it's Dedede, but still not as hard as one would think.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Yeah...but wifi's all about frame traps...and Marth's got em online.

I learned how to Isai drop on BF. I felt so epic doing it.

I also took a match off this D3 trying to infinite me in tourney. I should've CP'd, but I've rarely done the matchup...and it was too tempting XD
isai drop as in the match where boss does massive platform dropping with his bair cancel making him like 2x fast as in isai drop? cuz if ur talking about that, i've ****ing love that ****. instant double jumping aerials take full control of platform xD

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
How do you guys mash out of grabs? Like...what do you press? Everytime I mash out of a grab, I end up doing something stupid like pulling out my Fludd and just getting grabbed again.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
I mash and stomp on my controller. That's how I mash out and break my GC controllers =D Epic win no? XD

btw still working "knowing your alternatives a mario guide to playing smart" on my aib blog post, basically a EL version of mario lolz. check it nugguhs im lazy to finish it now

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
How do you guys mash out of grabs? Like...what do you press? Everytime I mash out of a grab, I end up doing something stupid like pulling out my Fludd and just getting grabbed again.
hit every button (shoulder buttons included), rotate the c-stick and rotate the control stick. End up getting out super quick.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
i rotate my control stick
that is enough
you get out super quick and don't make any stupid action

Matt07

Smash Master
Hero's is the best method, but I find it seems like a very weird way of doing. Like my fingers would slip up so bad. I usually rotate the control stick and slide my thumb over the X,Y,A,B buttons. Your controller will hate you for it though :laugh:.

BSP

Smash Legend
When I get grabbed I usually rotate the 2 sticks. BTW, who are some good secondaries for mario?

Matt07

Smash Master
Mario's worst match-ups are King Dedede, Game and Watch, and Metaknight. Marth vs Dedede is considered a neutral, and Marth counters Game and Watch. You just made 2 really hard match-up's for you quite easier. Or you could pick up Metaknight has he has neutral/advantage match ups against the cast. But most of us are quite dedicated with just Mario :p.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I do all right with Kirby/Mario, though you have to be okay with having a lot of even matchups and pretty few **** ones, and you still need someone to cover for Marth. So it's not ideal, but it works.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I have failure secondaries (Link and Ike) :p But it was because of Ike that was able to beat a G&W player in a tournament.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Ike isn't full of fail at all.

If Inui is in losers bracket (if i recall correctly at GT) and uses halberd and ike as his cp against Snakeee's ZSS and takes a game off her, then ike isn't fail. Though Inui still lost after lol. 2gud though.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
I secondary Link. He takes care of GnW, Kirby ,Bad Match-Up, but I do well in it, and Snake for me. Link vs Snake is toooo much fun not to play for me. lol. I'm thinking about using Marth against Kirby or Falco.

I can play Mario or Link against D3 and do pretty well. My Mario is very good against Meta Knight, my Link is getting their too. I can pretty much deal with the entire cast as Mario and Link. Marth will just make match-ups against stupid characters (Kirby) a lot less aggravating for me.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
So, my Mario is really good, and I don't even think Marth ***** Mario anymore, since I played the match the other way around and learned how to play it. I didn't even have to pull out flashy tricks either. It's probably not worse than 65-35. Potentially 60-40 if one uses everything at Mario's disposal. I wish I could fight myself sometimes.

My Mario is very close to being tournament viable. I don't even think he's low tier.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Pierce! Use Mario as your secondary!

You're good - you could earn him some points.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
So, my Mario is really good, and I don't even think Marth ***** Mario anymore, since I played the match the other way around and learned how to play it. I didn't even have to pull out flashy tricks either. It's probably not worse than 65-35. Potentially 60-40 if one uses everything at Mario's disposal. I wish I could fight myself sometimes.

My Mario is very close to being tournament viable. I don't even think he's low tier.
Mario/Marth really isn't that bad. Even though PD and I tell each other how much we hate the match-up for our characters. xD It's pretty interesting. Going to SNES? I wanna see your Mario there. :D I only caught bits and pieces of it at CoT4.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero

Lol that's funny, I'm doing opposite the way your doing it >_>. My marth is becoming more tourney viable more then my Mario as it is, but eh, I still hate the Mk and sometimes snake matchup ._.

Definitely wanna see some of that Mario there.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I secondary Link. He takes care of GnW, Kirby ,Bad Match-Up, but I do well in it, and Snake for me. Link vs Snake is toooo much fun not to play for me. lol. I'm thinking about using Marth against Kirby or Falco.

I can play Mario or Link against D3 and do pretty well. My Mario is very good against Meta Knight, my Link is getting their too. I can pretty much deal with the entire cast as Mario and Link. Marth will just make match-ups against stupid characters (Kirby) a lot less aggravating for me.
Wait, you dual main Mario and Link, yet you'd use Link on Kirby? :confused:
Marth against kirby is a great idea though... You don't even really need to know how to play Marth to beat a decent Kirby. Just space and you win.

Top Bottom