• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Calebyte your a Graphic Designer, awesome. In school for 3 years (including this year) for Animation.

And I'd be a bit more serious into Smash if I had some people who played here, but...
Awesome! Yeah, I'd be more into Smash too if there were more people around here who played a lot.

Matador said:
So I herd Xero was styling on Lain's ICs the other day...
Yeah, Xero almost took first seed away from Lain, it was pretty crazy. But then he got grabbed. :(

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
So I distinctly remember someone saying Mario ***** Yoshi and that fireballs shut Yoshi down... how exactly does that work? I played Hadesblade this weekend and he ***** my Mario no lube. Kirby's supposed to be 'meh' with Yoshi, but I did a lot better with him. How do you play the MU?

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Well I mean, Hadesblade is like the Boss of Yoshi mains. He's an amazing player period. Yoshi gives me trouble too, actually. I don't really know the MU that well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno, I just think being extremely patient against Yoshi shuts him down completely. He's a very bait-oriented character, and Mario easily has the tools to be very difficult for Yoshi to bait, and the threat of fireballs alone accomplishes that. And Mario can punish Yoshi for approaching really hard, not to mention kill him earlier than he can kill Mario.

Also shield kinda ***** Yoshi in two ways. His own shield sucks against pressure (and you can autoJab his spotdodge), and his options for actually bypassing shield are limited due to his telegraphed grabs, and his approaches generally aren't very safe.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
That's not true A2Z. I use Mario only in Low Tiers so I know lots of LT match-ups really well by now and Yoshi in particular [it's possibly the LT match-up I know best and I used to practice it with a REALLY good Yoshi main named Slice]. It's a difficult match-up for both characters but if it's in Marios favour then it's not by much.

How are his grabs telegraphed? A smart Yoshi has a very unpredictable grab game because of his neutral B and the range of his grounded grabs. He can grab you out of many situations and the only thing you can reliably do against it is to keep the hitbox of a fireball before you but even then you have to do it right. Grounded fireballs are the way to go imo [if you use lots of aerial fireballs - and you have to use lots of fireballs - he can trade with Egg Toss and the damage output is in his favour] mixed up with utilt and ftilt to cover most of his approaches. If you get a chance to approach jab mix-ups and dair [either retreating or crossover] are legit but none of these moves outpower Yoshi's options. It's an even match-up imo

Edit: I might get to play Slice again before October. Unless he's rusty / sucks now I'll try to get some vids saved. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong >_<

:059:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
His grabs all have reactable startup, and should really only be grabbing you if you're in a bad position. Going back to the point that Yoshi is very bait oriented.

And I agree Mario mains don't use grounded fireballs enough in this matchup.

Approaching Yoshi is kinda hard, except that it's all a bait strategy and has little actual threat if you're never trying to approach him unnecessarily. He can counter approaches with his Smashes and Pivot grab fairly well, but he should really never be able to do those with impunity due to fireballs. If he's trying to space tilts and Jabs, trading with aerials is usually in your favor.

The main thing that Mario has over Yoshi is significantly better Smashes. But I consider it a pretty big advantage since while they kinda have the same uses as Yoshi's Smashes, they do their job better. Especially when it comes to killing and safety. Yoshi doesn't have as good of answers for really significantly punishing Mario's Smashes.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
So I distinctly remember someone saying Mario ***** Yoshi and that fireballs shut Yoshi down... how exactly does that work? I played Hadesblade this weekend and he ***** my Mario no lube. Kirby's supposed to be 'meh' with Yoshi, but I did a lot better with him. How do you play the MU?
Fireballs don't **** Yoshi. I realized that was wrong. I probably have more Yoshi experience than most of the other Mario's because Deltacod lives about 15 minutes away and I've played him a lot. Hit me up on AIM and I'll help you out.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
They're both quite even, actually.

Well I mean, Hadesblade is like the Boss of Yoshi mains. He's an amazing player period. Yoshi gives me trouble too, actually. I don't really know the MU that well.
Nah son, I'm the Boss of Yoshi mains.

I dunno, I just think being extremely patient against Yoshi shuts him down completely. He's a very bait-oriented character, and Mario easily has the tools to be very difficult for Yoshi to bait, and the threat of fireballs alone accomplishes that. And Mario can punish Yoshi for approaching really hard, not to mention kill him earlier than he can kill Mario.

Also shield kinda ***** Yoshi in two ways. His own shield sucks against pressure (and you can autoJab his spotdodge), and his options for actually bypassing shield are limited due to his telegraphed grabs, and his approaches generally aren't very safe.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That's not true A2Z. I use Mario only in Low Tiers so I know lots of LT match-ups really well by now and Yoshi in particular [it's possibly the LT match-up I know best and I used to practice it with a REALLY good Yoshi main named Slice]. It's a difficult match-up for both characters but if it's in Marios favour then it's not by much.
Ooooooooooooo. Slice is pretty good, actually. I haven't heard from him in forever. :(

How are his grabs telegraphed? A smart Yoshi has a very unpredictable grab game because of his neutral B and the range of his grounded grabs. He can grab you out of many situations and the only thing you can reliably do against it is to keep the hitbox of a fireball before you but even then you have to do it right. Grounded fireballs are the way to go imo [if you use lots of aerial fireballs - and you have to use lots of fireballs - he can trade with Egg Toss and the damage output is in his favour] mixed up with utilt and ftilt to cover most of his approaches. If you get a chance to approach jab mix-ups and dair [either retreating or crossover] are legit but none of these moves outpower Yoshi's options. It's an even match-up imo
Yup. You should also note that, if you're aerial fireballing at mid/close range, we can just run in after you jump and Usmash you. Even if you cape stall/air dodge, the best you'll be doing to punish is Nair/Bair, which will probably be maaaaaaaaad stale.

Edit: I might get to play Slice again before October. Unless he's rusty / sucks now I'll try to get some vids saved. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong >_<
I'll try to get some vs. Inferno next I see him. =P

His grabs all have reactable startup, and should really only be grabbing you if you're in a bad position. Going back to the point that Yoshi is very bait oriented.
This deserves its own section of laughs.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The main thing that Mario has over Yoshi is significantly better Smashes. But I consider it a pretty big advantage since while they kinda have the same uses as Yoshi's Smashes, they do their job better. Especially when it comes to killing and safety. Yoshi doesn't have as good of answers for really significantly punishing Mario's Smashes.
And so does this.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Fireballs don't **** Yoshi. I realized that was wrong. I probably have more Yoshi experience than most of the other Mario's because Deltacod lives about 15 minutes away and I've played him a lot. Hit me up on AIM and I'll help you out.
Hmmm... I will have rather rare access to a computer for extended periods of time tonight, so I'll do that. From what I've read though, I think Yoshi is going to be one of those MUs I pull Wolf out for.

Also, wtf Hadesblade. Yoshi shouldn't be that good!

ill be warping through all her pipes
I lol'd!

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Personally, I think Yoshi mains deserve more credit.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Just so you know, mario's up b (aside from the first hit) always hits yoshi out of his DJ armor.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Hmmm... I will have rather rare access to a computer for extended periods of time tonight, so I'll do that. From what I've read though, I think Yoshi is going to be one of those MUs I pull Wolf out for.

Also, wtf Hadesblade. Yoshi shouldn't be that good!

I lol'd!
Lol Wolf.

MOst multi-hit moves hits Yoshi out of DJ...even Mario's Dair
Uhhhhh. Not so true...

Although Mario does beat Yoshi's armor pretty well, not gonna lie. It's pretty gay.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
I'ma get a job like in 6 days, I'ma see how things is gonna work out.
Yay!

That'll never happen since most people don't care about Yoshi mains and hate Yoshi as a character.
This.

I'm loving the hyper combo :mad: just laid out.

Oh yeah, Uber--you definitely did not put the :mario: boards best interest with your Tier List ideas. The OTL crew--let's just say we had a helluva time with that.

For those of your who didn't see it, I'll set it up for you: Mario is C tier.

Enough said.

Top Bottom