• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Matt07

Smash Master
I watched the one with vs Will I liked the gimp on him vs his GnW O_o.

I watched the Link vid of you vs the MK for lolz. Wooow you did really good, I loved the Gale gimp lmao.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
lol oh yeah kirinblaze, I played your crewmate will's DK. He wrecks so hard. I have so much DK exp on wifi but on offline, Will makes him looks so melee speed >__> xD. He said he lived in fear of the Mario's cape for a while now XD

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
lol oh yeah kirinblaze, I played your crewmate will's DK. He wrecks so hard. I have so much DK exp on wifi but on offline, Will makes him looks so melee speed >__> xD. He said he lived in fear of the Mario's cape for a while now XD
I have soooooooooooooo much experience against him it's not even funny. xD I make Link/DK look 50:50 instead of 65:35.

I have yet to take a tournament set off him but we go like dead even in friendlies and smashfest stuff. He's definitely a bit better then I am.

Matt07

Smash Master
Lol I'm pretty sure most b-airs you can do in a short hop is 2 max. If your feeling really fast Judge Judy made a list of all aerials you can do in a short-hop. You can do 2 aerials (mixed with a Cape) in some of them. I've had no luck with that though.

Also I don't understand how to buffer, I tried buffering Ganon's d-air (good practice for buffering I heard), I read how to do it, but it still doesn't make that much sense to me. So...I just do w/e, good enough for me.

Veggi

Smash Champion
To buffer you just input commands before your other commands are done and it will come out on the first possible frame. Like do an fsmash and hold down the shield button the whole time. The shield will come out exactly when the fsmash lag is over.

It's really simple, it's just complicated sounding.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
lol, it's rather simple if you know what "buffer" means in the first place. I just took it in context to figure out what it meant when I first heard it.

Too bad not everyone knows what buffer means XD

Edit: LOL @ having 17 people on the boards to see FireMario's discovery. Good **** XD

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Boss quit mario?

Wow, you guys gotta step it up now, eh if I can get good I'll rep Mario a few times too.

Also I don't understand how to buffer, I tried buffering Ganon's d-air (good practice for buffering I heard), I read how to do it, but it still doesn't make that much sense to me. So...I just do w/e, good enough for me.
Hard at first, but after a while it becomes second nature, just practice it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey, is there anyone on the Mario boards who can upload replays to Youtube or something?

If so, please join this chat: http://xat.com/TheAirRiders

A friend from the Kirby boards is testing stuff due to this new cape discovery and could use someone to upload the results when there are some (As well as more information on what is and isn't known).

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
He hasn't dropped him, it's just a rumor that started since he uses Luigi more often. He still reps Mario though.
I could've sworn Famous posted a few days ago that Boss' Mario Luigi ratio is 90:10 Luigi. And a lot of people (via AIM and in real life, not on SWF) have been 'how come Boss never uses Mario that much anymore', so I made that the title to get them to shut up.

It worked!

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
When he was at out GT Tourney on June 6th I told him to use more Mario. I leave for 5 minutes and come back to watch a tourney match of his and he's using Luigi with the tag MARIO. Needless to say he didn't fool me and was scolded for it.

-Shakes head.-

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
LMFAO @ KIRINBLAZE! Did you really do that? LMAO. He came up to me, when I was using Mario in friendlies, hes like" heyy i thought you mained luigi, you dont main mario..." XDD! but seriously, boss just uses less mario and more luigi nowheredays, I think it's mostly cause of the jab upb mindgames he pulls which is very amusing for him.

Dont worry all, we'll **** him when he doesnt use Mario. He'll get his nipple squeezed for it too. nohomobtw

JUDGE

Smash Lord
LMFAO @ KIRINBLAZE! Did you really do that? LMAO. He came up to me, when I was using Mario in friendlies, hes like" heyy i thought you mained luigi, you dont main mario..." XDD! but seriously, boss just uses less mario and more luigi nowheredays, I think it's mostly cause of the jab upb mindgames he pulls which is very amusing for him.

Dont worry all, we'll **** him when he doesnt use Mario. He'll get his nipple squeezed for it too. nohomobtw
glad to hear that
i was worried for a moment
really thought that boss dropped mario

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So... what would you guys say is the main thing holding Mario back right now besides little representation? I'm pretty sure I know what but I want to hear what other people have to say on the matter.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Mario should be somewhere in midtier IMO. Mario generally lacks range and KO power, but his fsmash makes up for that by a good deal. Characters with lots of disjointed range seem to give me problems. Mario's recovery is lacking distance-wise, people say that it's easy to gimp him, but I don't believe that anymore. I mostly used fireballs to make my recovery harder to gimp, but now I FLUDD them away as well and cape stall so I don't get edgehogged. Once I get better at doing these things I can't see myself getting gimped at all because Mario has the tools to get around it.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Lack of reliable KO moves.
He's also a bit lacking in range.
Oddly enough, I've never really had a problem with these two things. Generally, when their % is high enough, I can get the kill in fairly easily unless I'm playing against Wario or Snake. As for range, there's only a few match ups like King Dedede and Snake where this is a genuine issue for me. Sorry if I put you on the spot but I just wanted to highlight this since these are the two most common reasons that people give when I ask this question.

Famous

Smash Champion
Just have to find a way around the weaknesses...This is where most people give up at...They become impatient..

Veggi

Smash Champion
Mario does seem to have enough tools to make up for his problems. He can make up for his range with fsmash, get past other people's range with fireball approaches, keep from being shield grabbed with bair and shdair, then he can keep himself from being gimped with fireballs, FLUDD, and cape stall.

It isn't so much that Mario has limited options, it's that Mario's options just don't do as much as other people's options. For example, Mario's down smash is his speedy killer that is easy to land and comes out on frame 5. MK has the same thing, but his is stronger, has more range and less cooldown.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Mario should be somewhere in midtier IMO. Mario generally lacks range and KO power, but his fsmash makes up for that by a good deal. Characters with lots of disjointed range seem to give me problems. Mario's recovery is lacking distance-wise, people say that it's easy to gimp him, but I don't believe that anymore. I mostly used fireballs to make my recovery harder to gimp, but now I FLUDD them away as well and cape stall so I don't get edgehogged. Once I get better at doing these things I can't see myself getting gimped at all because Mario has the tools to get around it.
I agree with this here. I'd MUCH rather have Mario's recovery vs MK than alot of the cast. He wrecks ROB's recovery, he wrecks Lucario's recovery, he wrecks Luigi's recovery....

Alot of options = alot of mix-ups...and Mario has a nice amount offstage.

That's just the way I see it anyway. I could be completely wrong and I'm just amazing with Mario's recovery.

Veggi

Smash Champion
At top level play I can't imagine a Mario player getting gimped. From up high, Mario can shoot fireballs, then when they get closer, Mario can simply FLUDD them away. Even with a perfectly timed air dodge, I think it would still be impossible for them to get past all the water and get to Mario. If you move torward the direction the water is moving, I think you can negate all of the pushback that FLUDD gives Mario is nulled.

I've killed plenty of people from double jump uair stage spikes and up b's when their invincibility times out. Mario's cape can stall, so if he sees someone on the edge Mario can stall with the cape and not get gimped. The first cape helps Mario's recovery and Mario can make his up b go near pure vertical or even backwards if needed. I've wallkicked off the wall of FD as well. Mario simply has too many options to be properly edgeguarded.

If I get gimped, I think of it as my mistake. The only thing that worries me is recovering from below against something like Kirby's dair. The way I usually gimp ROB is to just stage spike him repeatedly. The three characters I have problems gimping are the ones that renew their up b after being caped. Snake isn't really a problem though because you can meteor him and FLUDD his C4 recovery, although I don't need to FLUDD his C4 in most cases. It's also possible to FLUDD him while he tries to fall back to the stage or just stage spike him when he comes up with cypher.

Game and Watch, Sonic, and Jigglypuff are the hardest to gimp. Sonic doesn't edge sweetspot though so he might be able to be FLUDD'd every once in a while.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Just have to find a way around the weaknesses...This is where most people give up at...They become impatient..
lol this is my most hated part of myself. my weakness= inpatient. ugh -_-

You won't have a problem with Mario's recovery AS LONG AS YOU HAVE GOOD DI. I'm talking Snakeee's ZSS DI. ZSS is a lightweight and generally dies early but ****ing Snakeee takes her at least 150% each stock, we can just do about the same thing with Mario. As long as Mario has good DI, he isn't hurt completely on the distance wise recovery unless he didn't have time to DI a Mk dsmash which is like frame 5 lol.

Like with Dedede I've noticed. I rarely lose against King Dedede as Mario because I usually just play as gay as possible even if it ends up making the match like 7 minutes long.
I do the same exact thing. Just burn out the clock and **** around and play gay as possible. That's what they get for even playing D3. Trash char.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Just think of Dedede like a giant Ice Climber and platform camp him the way you would the mini Ice Climbers. Stand on a platform and shoot fire balls at him. Approach by shooting a fireball and doing a shdair in front of him (footstooling his shield after a dair is not hard and makes you look pro). If you have the option, try to land behind his shield with an aerial.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
When I play Dedede, I usually try to camp with fireballs, do hit and runs with utilt and bairs, and use the FLUDD a lot more often in order to screw up his grabs and bairs if I do decide to approach. Like I said, I rarely approach when I fight Dedede and just wait for the Dedede's impatience to kick in. I've noticed that if you wait long enough, probably 4 out of 5 Dedede's will start to become grab whores just to try to get you offstage. Waddle dees/doos are annoying but they're not hard to space/block if, once again, you're patient and use your head when it comes to approach. If he's offstage, I bide my time as to avoid an un-nessecary Regi-cide and wait to counter when he uses his recovery.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
lol this is my most hated part of myself. my weakness= inpatient. ugh -_-

You won't have a problem with Mario's recovery AS LONG AS YOU HAVE GOOD DI. I'm talking Snakeee's ZSS DI. ZSS is a lightweight and generally dies early but ****ing Snakeee takes her at least 150% each stock, we can just do about the same thing with Mario. As long as Mario has good DI, he isn't hurt completely on the distance wise recovery unless he didn't have time to DI a Mk dsmash which is like frame 5 lol.

I do the same exact thing. Just burn out the clock and **** around and play gay as possible. That's what they get for even playing D3. Trash char.
I survived Snake's utilt before on Delfino at like around 140% >.>

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
When I play Dedede, I usually try to camp with fireballs, do hit and runs with utilt and bairs, and use the FLUDD a lot more often in order to screw up his grabs and bairs if I do decide to approach. Like I said, I rarely approach when I fight Dedede and just wait for the Dedede's impatience to kick in. I've noticed that if you wait long enough, probably 4 out of 5 Dedede's will start to become grab whores just to try to get you offstage. Waddle dees/doos are annoying but they're not hard to space/block if, once again, you're patient and use your head when it comes to approach. If he's offstage, I bide my time as to avoid an un-nessecary Regi-cide and wait to counter when he uses his recovery.
Pretty much this man has everything come out. Test of will and patience is the key here. Hit and run tactics are so great, I stole it from Wario LMAO. Just burn out the clock and maintain a solid lead on D3. This could work on some chars, I'd do this on MK too lol. You can do this to Snake as well, as long you have a good lead. Mario has the good right tools against snake's camping <3

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think a problem that a lot of Marios have is the mentality that dthrow/utilt= free utilt/usmash/bair/uair everytime but this can get you in a lot of trouble especially against people like Metaknight and Mr. Game and Watch. Like you said, sometimes you just have the draw out the match longer than you want to and pay more attention to your opponent's reactions to these moves.

Veggi

Smash Champion
What I like to do against Metaknight is I shoot fireballs at him and then I swear every MK tries to go through them with tornado, then I FLUDD the tornado to the sky and up smash them when they come down.

It's easy to outcamp Snake if you just stand on a platform and shoot fireballs, the Smashville platform is unique because it let's you camp and approach at the same time.

Top Bottom