• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I use to be an over Dose Roller...

Untill I was told that its not good to do

Isn't Spot dodgeing better?

_____

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Easiest way to break a spot-dodging habit is to take a break from the game. Since it's actually impractical and illogical, you'll forget it and won't deliberately relearn it as you immerse yourself back into the game and get reacquaint with successful patterns.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Easiest way to break a spot-dodging habit is to take a break from the game. Since it's actually impractical and illogical, you'll forget it and won't deliberately relearn it as you immerse yourself back into the game and get reacquaint with successful patterns.
I've taken multiple breaks from the game and the habit keeps coming back (although it disappears for a short while sometimes, but always ends up coming back.)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lol you and your amazing logic. It's hilariously correct.

I just noticed...I didn't play Smash at all during Spring Break, and yeah...I'm actually not spotdodging that much.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Why would you spotdodge with OOS options like Mario's...?

It rarely ever gives you a significant frame advantage anyway. Powershielding is always a better response.

Best to just cut it out completely. If you're feeling pressured or expect a laggy attack, you have other options. Just tell yourself everytime you pull it off that it was a terrible move and you're a terrible person for doing it...and you'll fix it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Spotdodging covers you if they grab and is sometimes a more consistent way of setting up grabs than shieldgrabbing or dashgrabbing out of shield. I am a fan of spotdodge -> grab, and I think that's the main reason to spotdodge in the first place.

However I am also a fan of charging F-smash. F-smashing Snake out of his F-tilt feels sooooooo good. =)

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
I Dislike Snake's F tilt... Its Broken For a tilt attack and for just being a standard Human

But I like doing that To :)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Spotdodging covers you if they grab and is sometimes a more consistent way of setting up grabs than shieldgrabbing or dashgrabbing out of shield. I am a fan of spotdodge -> grab, and I think that's the main reason to spotdodge in the first place.
If you can make it work for you, then go for it. If it isn't a habitual move, but rather purely based on spotdodge's merits in given situations, use it when applicable.

I just recommend against it in most situations.

It's a move that puts you on the defensive. You cannot do anything except retreat after a spotdodge if you're playing a good opponent. Worse than that, most good players prey on it.

D3s will wait for your spotdodge to land an easy grab, then wait again during their CG for you to frantically struggle to spotdodge out so that they can hit you with one of their more powerful attacks (dthrow -> dthrow -> dthrow -> DA/Dsmash/Dtilt offstage)

I can't TELL you how many times I've watched as Boss predicts a spotdodge in teams or otherwise and gets a 60% game changing KO because he has momentum. They're on the ropes and feel backed into a corner, so the spotdodge is coming...and once it does...free KO.

MK's broken *** doesn't even need to wait for it. If he feels like he's got you pressured, he can Fair -> Dtilt -> Dsmash without opening himself up for anything from Mario...if you spotdodge at any point during his advance, it's an easy dsmash.

Falcos wait for the spotdodge to get their CG low %.

Snake's wait for the spotdodge at high % for their Utilt.

The only time Marth is affected by a Mario spotdodging is when HIS spacing is off.

Then there's the threat that ANY character could charge a smash while they have momentum and you're on the defensive. If you buckle and decide to spotdodge for a lucky counter attack, it could cost you a stock.

Of course, it's just my opinion. It doesn't fit into my gameplay very much at all.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Quoted for truth. Also, I want my brawl disc back.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
i main mario outside of tournaments, but i'm actually the best ike. i'm also the best mario.
OBJECTION!

San, Meneil, M2K, Renegade, Bored, etc. prove the contradiction in the witness' statement!
(Yeah, I've been playing too much Pheonix Wright lately...)

EDIT: And yeah Excel, Mario vs Snake is a really fun MU. That and Mario vs DK.

Top Bottom