• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario 2010 Video Archives! - Updated 8/14

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'll take a guess that it was very un-serious wifi play. But I live to critique. So whoever is interested...well here.

When he's sitting on the platform...just SH D-air. Totally safe, and almost always shieldstabs, and you can immediately follow up with the threat of U-air in the event they DO actually shield the entire thing. I'm a little bit shocked this is not a standard strategy for a lot of Mario users.

I felt your recovery was pretty sloppy against the Metaknight. That time you got gimped was really unnecessary. A Cape Stall instead of a midair jump would have been much safer and would be able to bait the edge hog.

That B-throw kill was probably because of bad DI. I personally would have waited until 150% at least before attempting that (two pummels probably would have done the trick to make it reliable.)

I would have done more Fireball -> F-smash, F-throw -> Fireball, SH U-air out of shield, also you like didn't use any F-tilt at all, and threw out various random U-tilts that looked a lot like matchup inexperience. You played patiently which was of course great, but I feel like you just completely overlooked simple options that work very effectively.

I don't feel like commenting about the Toon Link match. I wasn't too impressed by your opponent in general, and with that in perspective, you did what was necessary to win against him. I just felt that those matches were really sloppy on your part overall. Even though it was wifi, I felt that generally speaking there were a lot of situations where more intelligent choices could be made and despite your patience various moves were pretty unnecessarily thrown out.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
First match:

Your approaches need to be spaced better. Various moves felt like they relied too much on anticipation and were unnecessarily thrown out. Hold the A button when doing Jabs and learn to time Jab cancels from that. SH D-air when they're above you on a platform and shieldstab them from below. You can powershield Sonic's ledge attack on reaction. That late DA near the edge could have been comboed into U-air. Good use of the wall last stock (could have been used better for a potential Jab lock infinite, but that requires good reactions).

2nd match:
Missed opportunity to Up-smash out of shield against Sonic's U-air. When you get hit by a horizontal KO move, U-air and then double jump if it's about to kill you. Late Dash attack -> Grab would have been excellent but you missed it.

idk what else to say. Good matches. Some of your reactions need to be refined though. A lot of your dodges got punished really hard too, which to me was a sign that you needed better spacing to avoid those panic situations.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
With regards to Sonic's spin attacks, you can beat all of them with Nair. You can just hover there with the Nair as he runs into it. Sets up into jabs and stuff. Don't do fireballs during his spins as the risk/reward of it actually connecting (which is very slim) is not really worth it.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Thanks for the tips guys! Advice in this thread definitely helps me out. I feel like I keep improving, hopefully my tourney performance will reflect that soon.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
I'm dropping Mario completely for 2-3 months. I'm not like Vato or Xero or Kirin, I'm not good enough to overcome Mario's limitations. Picking up Marth, possibly MK.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
Double post, umad?

So I apparently suck at the ROB matchup. Somebody please tell me what I did wrong. Maybe less fireball and cape? Or maybe I just suck at adjusting playstyles in mid-match? Wow, what was I thinking???!!

Spin (Rob) - 1

(Not to take anything away from Spin, I <3 you if you name search this. That's right. Spinny spinny spin! Spin spin spin spin!!!)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Fireballs are usually not that good against ROB if he's able to laser you. Generally against ROB, you can't get lazy. You have to constantly watch his movements and never do anything "unnecessary", and if the ROB player is any good, powershielding is probably something you should be able to do consistently against his N-air and projectiles (bonus points if you have the balls to powershield his B-air). D-air and Jabs are extremely useful in this matchup, make sure to autoJab a lot when he spotdodges in particular (take advantage of Jab cancel combos!). Also important is edgetrapping him. His ledge getup options are terrible and can all be reacted to. This is especially important to know when KOing ROB.

Generally speaking ROB will probably frustrate you and hit you more than you can hit him back. The key to getting the advantage is never unnecessarily running into him when he is trying to KO you (since he telegraphs his kills), and then taking advantage of your better KO moves and stronger juggles when you know they will work.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Still willing to upload people's videos for them.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Edit: Pardon my wall XD

To add onto what A2 said, Spin was camping you heavily and waiting for you to get close so he could Ftilt/grab once you got near him. Either be patient and don't play HIS game, or aggressively take him out of his element. Mix-up your approaches to keep him from predicting you.

Some of my common approaches vs ROB (These aren't guaranteed to work, nor do they work well if predictable with them):
  • Fireball to SH Dair. This'll deter him from staying in his shield the way he was. He'll feel pressured, but can't do anything about the Dair hitting his shield. Also, if he goes for spotdodge to Dsmash, this'll punish it perfectly. You also get a free 30+ combo if he's at low%.
  • Fireball to grab. Unless his Ftilt OOS is frame perfect, you'll interrupt him trying to swat you away as you follow behind the fireball. ROB is one of the easier characters to follow-up after from Dthrow. Regrab, chase with a charged Usmash, Uair...if you read him properly, Dthrow will be a huge problem for him. Or you could just take the free 13% from Bthrow.
  • Fireball to SH Nair. Nair will beat Ftilt and Dsmash if I recall correctly. A weak Nair will combo into your jab, which you can do whatever you want from. Just don't do the full PPK so often, ROB's so free to jab cancels.
  • Fireball to Ftilt. Saw you doing this, lol. Keep it up, it's good stuff ;)

ROB's rather easy to KO if you can get him above you. ROB is widely known to be predictable when he's trying to land back on the stage when recovering from an Utilt or something that knocks him upward. Read his descent and regrab, Usmash (charged or otherwise), upB, whatever. Keep him from landing until he tries something stupid like landing ontop of you with Nair or airdodging to the ground. You can trade Usmash with Nair 100% of the time (sometimes Usmash'll land without you taking damage from Nair).

Fsmash is also pretty easy to land on his huge frame if you read him properly. Spin would've been particularly easy since he went for the shield-grab everytime you got near him while shielding. Bait and punish things like that with a nicely spaced Fsmash.

TL;DR

Grab more, much more. Once you get inside, grabs will keep you there...as will Utilts.

Mix up your approaches so that he can't stuff them so easily. You have plenty of viable options vs ROB to get close to him with. You can camp him well with Bairs and fireballs too if he's gaining a lead.

Good reads will get you kills. You should never have to force it versus ROB...he's so unsafe when he's above you, he's begging you to Usmash him. Just be patient.

That's all I've got. Good luck dood ^_^

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Generally speaking....MORE GRABS. Fireball -> Cape is a pretty bad approach since it's unsafe on block and spotdodge (unless you're doing aerial Cape, which can often bait shieldgrabs). Most people are going to shield against fireballs, so the logical answer is to grab them. If they spotdodge, do AutoJabs (hold the A button), and Jab cancel into Grab/D-smash after the 2nd Jab hits them.

1:20 in the first match, you should have Up-smashed after that weak DA. That probably would have comboed.

Again MORE GRABS. Snake's damage was so high first stock that B-throwing him probably would have KOed him.

Against Fox, shielding is much better than dodging unless you are avoiding a shield poke. Most of the time when he approaches shield, it's not very safe due to his poor range.

Overall decent gameplay, just shield more, grab more, don't dodge as recklessly, and then in your spare time learn to do things like Jab cancels and Up-smash/aerial out of shield. Oh yeah and when you're under platforms, SH D-air is better for pressure than U-air. Plus for fun, learn to space Fireball -> Reverse F-smash so that it registers as a combo in training mode. A lot of people fall for it and it's a pretty awesome trick to keep in mind for KOs.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Stop DI'ing towards/into them when they hit you into the air, 90% of the time airdodge won't save you, it's like a free juggle. There is plenty of space on the stage where you could safely land instead. It's always better to land on the ledge than to airdodge into a snake.

Also, rolling/airdodge should never be used for approaching.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I wouldn't criticize him that much for rolling and airdodging, because he did mange to get free punishes from it. Rolling and dodging are not useless for approaching, just extremely situational and bad to be reliant on. However his spotdodges were really reckless when shielding or other OOS options almost always were the better option.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Juushichi (-EoI-) vs Silhouette (SiL) [R.O.B] - L
- Surprisingly, I seem to have gotten over my huge hump vs Sil's R.O.B. I still lose most of the time, but they're a lot more competitive.

Juushichi (614) vs Blade (Blade) [Pit] - W
- Blade's actually pretty good, but I've gotten used to his playstyle/what he gets baited with. He started first time by 2-1ing me in a serious friendly set when I first met him. Now I win about 6-4/7-3 of our matches.

Juushichi (Rikku) vs Silhouette (SiL) [Lucario] - L
- I really just beefed this match, but I would like more help vs Lucario anyway.

Any and all critique is welcome.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Vs ROB, you need to D-air more when he dodges instead of forcing Up-smashes (powershielding -> Up-smash is much safer when you need a KO). When he D-smashes, hold up to get out of it. Also you could try N-airing when he was edgestalling which could potentially stagespike him.

Also you probably should practice angling shield.

Vs Pit, the one time you finally implemented charged F-smash near the end really just said to me that you didn't charge F-smash enough in general when implementing it, which generally makes the move safer, less predictable, and more rewarding. Charged F-smash is very good against Pit due to how well it messes with Pit's optimal spacing.

All in all pretty solid gameplay. Keep up the good work.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno when these vids came up, but here you guys go. These are from VSA Tampa way back in March.

vs Ganon Match 1
vs Ganon Match 2
vs DeDeDe Match 3

Match 3 is the best match.
You clearly didn't know how to fight Ganon. A few basic things make the matchup easy for Mario.

1. Fullhop fireballs. This is how you camp Ganon, as he lacks options to punish it, and he's susceptible to being highly annoyed by it being the tallest character in the game.
2. B-airs. SHFFed and Fullhop B-airs. Again it's something Ganon really just can't punish.
3. Jabs and Jab cancels are very effective in this matchup. Although you have no Jab cancel combos on Ganon, he lacks the tools to interrupt your strings.

Above everything else, spacing those correctly is what wins you the match. When you have Ganon under pressure to break your defenses, that is when you can consider punishing him with other moves.

Plus the implementation of Smashes in these matches was simply horrible. Unless you're whiff/bait punishing from midrange with F-smash, you don't need to use Smashes against Ganon, when you wall and control him so well with your fireballs and B-air. Edgeguarding Ganon is as simple as N-airing him out of his recovery. Plus learn to react to aerial Flame Choke with a spotdodge.

Also, turnaround D-smash > F-smash for punishing whiffs in close range.

Against DDD, platform camping is good. As are fullhop fireballs. Fullhop B-air and U-air are good spacing tools against him. You need to learn to space cape better in that matchup as well. Can't say much else about that match given that your opponent made a lot of mistakes as well.

Vs Asa(Olimar)
Vs Asa(Olimar)
Vs Asa(ZSS)

Thoughts?

these were just friendlies BTW
Vs Olimar, fullhop D-air and Fireball camp a lot. In this matchup your goal is to outspace Olimar with your fireball camping and wait until there is an opportunity to approach safely behind a fireball. Aerial -> Jab is capable of interrupting Olimar's shieldgrab as well. B-air and N-air outprioritize the majority of Olimar's moves, so if you have a fireball to stop him from pivot grabbing, you get in on him completely free. Furthermore you camp on a percent lead better than Olimar does.

If Olimar gets cheeky with planking, go for Down-angled F-smash. Works amazingly well even if they try to shark you on a stage like Japes (don't believe me? Fino can vouch for this).

Don't F-throw Olimar unless it gets him offstage. Just D-throw him a lot and go for juggles and land traps.

Also generally speaking, try not to airdodge into your opponent unless you know it will crossover. When you're landing, you want to be able to bait their reactions with Cape.

The kills against ZSS were pretty clever. Not much else I can say about the matchup.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Furthermore you camp on a percent lead better than Olimar does.

If Olimar gets cheeky with planking, go for Down-angled F-smash. Works amazingly well even if they try to shark you on a stage like Japes (don't believe me? Fino can vouch for this).
You should listen to this guy for sure. Everything from wifi transfers over to real matches, I can vouch for this ;o

//sarcasm, lmao

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
DDD's utilt has super armor I believe, AND can kill at low percent.

Don't approach from above, A2Zing doesn't know what he's talking about.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You don't understand how vertical spacing works. You buffer fullhop rising B-air and U-air from the ground and use these as pokes. This is not something DDD can punish on block or reaction. No D3 in the right mind is going to U-tilt you when you're on the ground, and your fullhoped rising aerials put you out of his U-tilt range. It's not much unlike how Metaknight's D-air camping works.

The only time you should ever SH space B-airs in that matchup is if you're at the range to pull off a bait into F-smash, but if you're at any other range, buffered fullhop spacing is safer.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Juushichi (EnJ) vs Solecalibur (YSHDT) [ZSS] - L (Game Three) |Starts @ 10:02 - End|
- Sole and I decided to do serious friendlies recently in the format of a tournament set, so that explains why I don't go Mario the whole time. I started as Sheik for games one and two and then went Mario for Game Three. I was kind of wrecking him, then I choked and he brought it back. Enjoy.

Juushichi (EnJ) vs Solecalibur (YSHDT) [Diddy Kong] - W (Game Two) |Starts @ 3:15 - 9:25|
- I pretty much had control of the match throughout, but admittedly, Sole isn't a very good Diddy Kong. Not sure why he went Diddy against me, but w/e. I would like a lot more help in the MU, I played friendlies with Count over the weekend at Nope's Monthly and he was molesting me by two stocks every game.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Look out for my videos soon my fellow marios. including a 3-stock **** special that is a MUST SEE!

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Hey there mario boards, its been a while^^
as some of you guys already know, i switched from mario to fox but anyhow, mario is just too ****in' awesome i just can't drop him completley xD
here is a vid of mine, enjoy and critique please :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-5Ba7oCii4

Matt07

Smash Master
@ MoNrA.1 - Wow, that recovery at 1:20 on the first match was insane, did not expect the platform to go there again.

stack

Smash Cadet
NNID
stack0123
I've seen Ray's Mario once before; I'm glad he's getting a little bit more exposure. He's easily one of the best Mario's I've ever seen.

Top Bottom