• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mallow: Frog Prince from the Beyond the Clouds

Mallow in Super Smash Bros?

• Total voters

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I'm glad that this thread is finally getting the attention it deserves. Mallow is the most important original character from SMRPG, and I'm not being sarcastic or facetious. He has many more character arcs than Geno, who is largely just a tagalong to the party.

Here is the word count for all characters with speaking roles in SMRPG. Even within his own game, Geno is not all that important.

Mallow: 1407
Bowser: 905
Booster: 856
Geno: 695
Frogfucius: 639
Peach: 634
Valentina: 532
Yaridovich: 302
Smithy: 163
Bowyer: 153
Belome: 112

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Not to belittle characters, but in what world would Geno get in smash as a full fighter before Mallow anyway? Mallow's the first partner, and he is around for 90% of the adventure, so it makes me wonder why Geno got more smash fan popularity.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Not to belittle characters, but in what world would Geno get in smash as a full fighter before Mallow anyway? Mallow's the first partner, and he is around for 90% of the adventure, so it makes me wonder why Geno got more smash fan popularity.
Maybe cause he's kinda like a transformer? Seems traditionally more cool. The ultimate action figure in smash

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it has something to do with Sakurai's first mentioning of Geno and how he showed interest in him at the time? I'm not too familiar with Geno's lore when it comes to the smash speculating scene so I'm only guessing here.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
[REDACTED] is more traditionally cool as people said, he's essentially a swiss army knife doll with a cool design. for as much as i love mallow and as much as he has a compelling arc, he's also not as directly involved into the game's main plot as [REDACTED] is. the star road has been shattered by exor, the smithy gang poses a threat to the mushroom kingdom, and it's his job to get **** together, tagging along with mario to retrieve the remaining star pieces. mallow's main motive is to just find his real parents after frogfucius' sad revelation and later thwart dodo and valentina's plan to overtake nimbus land. his arc is finished after those events and he could've easily chosen not to continue on mario's adventures afterwards. i wouldn't say people are wrong at all for having a stronger impression of [REDACTED], it's just a little sad mallow didn't take off nearly as much as him in the end, i would say

that said uhhh, put mallow in, i wanna smack sephiroth with a sonic cymbal, bye

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not an expert on the matter, but from what I can gather Geno just became more popular for being the "cool" guy, especially in a Mario game, as well as his unique design and abilities. Given that Mallow and Geno haven't made any major appearances after SMRPG, if they get it'd be through fan demand (Which is admittedly pretty big in Geno's case).

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
[REDACTED] is more traditionally cool as people said, he's essentially a swiss army knife doll with a cool design. for as much as i love mallow and as much as he has a compelling arc, he's also not as directly involved into the game's main plot as [REDACTED] is. the star road has been shattered by exor, the smithy gang poses a threat to the mushroom kingdom, and it's his job to get **** together, tagging along with mario to retrieve the remaining star pieces. mallow's main motive is to just find his real parents after frogfucius' sad revelation and later thwart dodo and valentina's plan to overtake nimbus land. his arc is finished after those events and he could've easily chosen not to continue on mario's adventures afterwards. i wouldn't say people are wrong at all for having a stronger impression of [REDACTED], it's just a little sad mallow didn't take off nearly as much as him in the end, i would say

that said uhhh, put mallow in, i wanna smack sephiroth with a sonic cymbal, bye
Ah yes, my favourite Mario character: [R E D A C T E D]

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Mallow still feels waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too ignored though the amount of attention Geno got in comparison to Mallow didn't add up since Brawl era, it should be 30% Mallow and 70% Geno at least, not 99% Geno 1% Mallow. I didn't see too many besides myself and very few others voice especial disappointment in the lack of a Mallow outfit again either (most was just on Geno being a Mii outfit again), so there's definitely some glaring neglect to Mallow.

And sure Mallow may not look as cool, but he's still cute and got a nice design, plus some pretty nice mage abilities something we don't see too much in Smash, especially the supporter type.

Last edited:

pennylessz

Smash Cadet
I'm not an expert on the matter, but from what I can gather Geno just became more popular for being the "cool" guy, especially in a Mario game, as well as his unique design and abilities. Given that Mallow and Geno haven't made any major appearances after SMRPG, if they get it'd be through fan demand (Which is admittedly pretty big in Geno's case).
It is important to note that Mario doesn't tend to have many cool guy characters, unless you count Waluigi, which I do.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
What would Mallow's voice be like, if they were to give him lines? I always imagined a kind of childlike, Tara Strong type of voice.
Haven't played his game yet, but based on his appearance I imagine he'd sound like Classic Tails from Sonic Generations.

D

Deleted member

you think they could make a mii out of this mallow hat? maybe release it with a hat of a cacodemon as well?

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
One of the perks Mallow has over [redacted] is that he comes with an entire kingdom. For all the diverse characters you meet in SMRPG, there’s only a handful of unique people-groups. Moleville, Nimbus Land, and Tadpole Pond are really the only three places that bring unique sub-cultures into Mario’s world, beyond the classic staples like Toad and Yoshi. And out of those three, Mallow is directly connected to two of them.

Bringing Mallow back into a modern game like Smash would also mean we get to revisit the cultures that he belongs to, and there’s a wealth of content that can be explored there:

Nimbus Land:
History of the monarchy…Has Mallow’s family always been in power?
In what other ways can the Nimbus people control the weather? Is that a power only Mallow has? Is it a mark of nobility?
What are those big thorny plants that the Nimbus people live in? Do they only grow on clouds?
Garro is well-recognized as a sculptor of gold/metal. Are there other artisans in the kingdom? Is that kind of art a distinctive part of their culture?
Are there any connections between the Dream Cushion used in the Nimbus Land Inn and the Pi’illo people from M&L Dream Team?
Those big clouds with faces that are floating by in the background…What’s up with them?
How do the hot springs form way up there in the clouds?
Do the cloud(s) on which Nimbus Land sits stay in the same place (by the Barrel Volcano), or does it move around?

Tadpole Pond:
Did Mallow learn how to use the cymbals from Toadofsky?
Who makes the Frog Coins?
Did Mallow grow up eating Cricket Pies?
Does Frogfucious have other disciples, other than the one you encounter in Seaside Town?
What’s the story behind the Froggy Stick? (and the Ribbit Stick?)
Why is Frogfucious the only full-grown frog in Tadpole Pond?
The word “kero” is a Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound that frogs make. So do the people of Tadpole Pond control Kero Sewers? Also, Tadpole Pond is the only place you can buy Kerokero Cola…How is it made?
For that matter, how are Froggie Drinks made?

There’s a lot more you can dig into, but those were the first few things to pop into my mind.

Speaking of... Snowy or Lightning Bolt as Mallow's Final Smash?
I vote Lightning Bolt, or something absurd like the Sheep Attack.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I noticed that the Geno thread was shut down again, so I decided to hop on the Mallow thread to showcase my Geno Mii!

I will admit, it isn't the best, but I tried my hardest lol.

View attachment 297025

Merry Christmas Eve!
The Geno thread didn't just shut down again it shut down permanently like the Smash 4 Ridley thread or the previous Ultimate Waluigi thread.

Top Bottom