• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mallow: Frog Prince from the Beyond the Clouds

Mallow in Super Smash Bros?

• Total voters

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mallow is the Prince of Nimbus Land, but it's a title unknown to even himself. As a baby, he was kidnapped in a bid for power by the evil, and very voluptuous, Valentina and replaced him with Dodo. Dodo, of course, looked nothing like the King of Nimbus land but everyone was a little to nervous at the implication of telling him his son didn't resemble him so they went along with it. While Valentina took hold of Nimbus Land, the young Mallow was found by the wise Frogfucius in Tadpole Pond. Interestingly the pond contains both frogs and toads but in this context they have no relation. After meeting Mario and having to fight against Croco, an extremely frustrating battle to even get to let alone fight if you were young me, Frogfucius revealed that Mallow was indeed NOT a tadpole. To the utter shock and amazement of all around. It's during these events that Mallow begins to show signs of his true origin. His simple act of crying causes the heavens themselves to unleash a torrent of rain upon the earth.

Mallow is from the cloud kingdom of Nimbus Land, and as his prince has the power to control the weather itself!

Oh BTW Spoiler alert. Mallow himself doesn't actually figure this out until right before reentering Bowser's Castle for the final confrontation against the Smithy Gang. From the second he leaves the care of Frogfucius until the arrival in Nimbus Land Mallow's story kind of just stops as he just goes along to help everyone else with their problems. Even when arriving in Nimbus Land, Mallow kind of just naively blows it off as "Nah, this place doesn't look like it's related to our quest. Kind of funny their prince has the same name as me. Oh, and the statue of the prince kind of looks like me, and not like that bird. Funny coincidence".

While not having the kind of support that Geno has, Mallow is still a very beloved character from the game "Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars". And he could make an excellent fighter in the Smash series with his unique ability to control the weather. Think of him like Storm from the X-Men series. If Storm had the physique of a Marshmallow, smelled like still pond water, and tried to avoid conflict in most situations unless it involves someone preventing him from getting his cricket pie!

Themes that are related to Mallow are a little harder to point out. But here are a few examples I could think of:
Mallow is kind of a cry Baby. He let's it all out. And the Earth trembles with his every sob. He cries so much it actually gets its own theme.

The theme to his Kingdom, Nimbus Land. Related to him through his family and home. Even if it's not a home he's familiar with

These is the theme of the Frog Pond, a home he's much more familiar with. The home of his adopted family.

Potential for a moveset
Mallow has the ability to control the weather. While now unique to his character the majority of his attacks involve using thunderbolts. However, unlike a lot of other magic users and users of electricity Mallow also has the ability to control the wind, rain, and even snow. He could have a wide variety of elemental attacks. He's also a secondary white mage with the ability to heal other characters - Although Peach serves as a much better character for this purpose.

Special
Neutral: I tried to come up with something different than just lightning Bolt, which would be obvious. An attack based on HP Rain, that instead of healing attacks with a rain cloud?
Side: Shocker - Powerful Lightning Bolt Attack
Down: Snowy - Freezes the area around him, encasing himself in a big snowman of doom!
Up: Instead of basing this on one of Mallow's specials, I thought of an idea of Mallow being able to ride on one of Lakitu's Clouds for a period of time. The Nimbus People do ride in cloud based vehicles.
Final Smash: Mallow unleashes his ultimate magic, the Star Rain! Stars rain from the heavens and a massive one comes down and crushes opponents. I don't think Meteor Showers are an actual weather though.

So why not help support this little guy? If Geno gets in, it'd be great to have the whole team come back together!

Help Mallow out

Various Fan Art Links
https://static.zerochan.net/Super.Mario.Bros..full.1501418.jpg
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=39840733

Operation Starfall
https://smashboards.com/threads/operation-starfall-bringing-life-to-smrpg-again.467163/
Welcome to Operation Starfall!
Hello, fellow Smash and Nintendo fans! Welcome to the hub for the community-wide onward campaign for Operation Starfall,
the meeting place for us fans of Super Mario RPG, Geno, Mallow, and all of SMRPG's best! Here, we congregate to reach a singular
set of goals, what we as fans have been championing for over a decade: the return of SMRPG and its two exclusive protagonists,
Geno and Mallow, to the Mario mainstream. Read on for more information, and see how you can make your contributions to the cause!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
(Reserved Post)

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I freaking love Mallow, and would love to see him in Smash.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Assist trophy or part of Geno's final smash. If Geno's in I don't think Sakurai will ignore Mallow.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It feels blasphemous to say this but I'd personally prefer Mallow over Geno.

I respect his fanbase but I've personally never really gotten the appeal.

(I think there's a decent chance Mallow will at least get a trophy if they get Geno as a playable character)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yoooooo!
Good post. I got hype just listening to the music- Mario RPG music is my favorite.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Theres so much rumor about Geno and Mallow a Tag Team I'm curious how will that work will that concept fit Geno.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I really want to see Mallow represented in some fashion. I have in my head an Assist Trophy, but honestly, any representation would be awesome. Personally, I'd love for his HP Rain move to be his AT stuff. Heals the player who brings him out, or anyone who gets into the cloud.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think the reason why most people want Geno over Mallow is because in Super Mario RPG Mallow was mainly use as a utility and support character while Geno was straight DPS. This isn't to say that Mallow couldn't have a unique an interesting play style but Geno's is more direct (Ya know with guns and stuff).

With his support abilities he would make a great AT as well with HP Rain healing your character or dropping a giant star or snowman on them too.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Poor Mallow is overshadowed by Geno's popularity. I love both characters, but I feel like asking for Mallow might be a bit greedy. Assist Trophy might be his best chance of making it in the game. That's not to say that I wouldn't love to play as him, but Geno has more momentum.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No way as a geno echo, they're no the same shape and are pretty different in general.
but how about a clone character using Kirby and maybe some magic user? (no b-moves from kirby, only magic.)

But I would really see more an assist, or more likely an appearance in the final smash.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
No way as a geno echo, they're no the same shape and are pretty different in general.
but how about a clone character using Kirby and maybe some magic user? (no b-moves from kirby, only magic.)

But I would really see more an assist, or more likely an appearance in the final smash.
Wouldn't Pikachu be more appropriate

Teeb147

Smash Legend
have a look at how he looks:

He's Pikachu's height, but pikachu runs on all fours, and isn't as big.
Compare that to Kirby, and they're the right shape.

Mallow4Smash

Smash Rookie
have a look at how he looks:

He's Pikachu's height, but pikachu runs on all fours, and isn't as big.
Compare that to Kirby, and they're the right shape.
(Cont. on geno echo)I think if geno were to use his gun I think mallows thunder bolt will do just as well

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Geno & Mallow duo or bust.

Or at the very least part of Geno’s moveset ala Toad/Phantom Knight.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There is this really creepy picture of Geno and Mallow swapped sizes

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do you have it? You could just link to it if you dont want to taint the thread, lol.
I'm trying to find it. But it's funny when I actually do want to see it, I can't find it

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I meant Mallow's moveset makes more sense to be like Pikachu's than Kirby's. The shape doesnt work for either tbh

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I meant Mallow's moveset makes more sense to be like Pikachu's than Kirby's. The shape doesnt work for either tbh
I think he'd be closer to a Ness or Lucas clone with Mallow having access to ice and electric attacks.

---

I found the pic btw, not as creepy as I remember. But still unintentionally creepy to me

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think he'd be closer to a Ness or Lucas clone with Mallow having access to ice and electric attacks.

---

I found the pic btw, not as creepy as I remember. But still unintentionally creepy to me

That pic is a nightmare

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Lol. You can count me as a supporter (if you make a list)

I think that using Ness and Kirby, and someone else, for assets could actually work really well, along with original moves. He could even use his Kero stick for the smash attack instead of the bat.. Though it'd be cooler to have his cymbals. Don't know what his down and up smash would be, but his regular attack could be like Ness' punches but with his gloves in the game instead. The thunder could actually be his down-b instead so he could have a different recovery.

Even if I doubt he'd be in the game, I think it's a neat idea. I have fond memories of mario rpg.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
The one attack that interests me the most is HP Rain. Being able to summon a raincloud that heals could be an interesting mechanic.

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
I imagine it would be implemented though a Codec/Palutena's Guidance situation where if Mallow does a taunt on a stage, then everyone would be able to see what that character is thinking.

Mallow4Smash

Smash Rookie
I imagine it would be implemented though a Codec/Palutena's Guidance situation where if Mallow does a taunt on a stage, then everyone would be able to see what that character is thinking.
Luigi has Mario on his mind

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
I would love to see Mallow in Ultimate preferably as a playable character, but I'd be happy if he makes it in the game in any capacity.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, this thread is kinda strange in nature. It's the sister thread of one of the biggest thread's on the newcomer speculation board and 2nd in size when it comes to eligable newcomers. And this thread is barely a page. I mean, I think we all understand why, but it's still perplexing when you think about it.

Top Bottom