• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mallow: Frog Prince from the Beyond the Clouds

Mallow in Super Smash Bros?

• Total voters

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Hey Mallow-bros (glad to see many familiar faces here)! Just wanted to say I'm here to support the main tadpole who looks nothing like a tadpole cloud prince himself!

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
In a fair point, I can say since Mallow is in the same game that has exactly same role with Geno, definitely he deserves more attention that usually goes to Geno.

But in a wider view, I think it's same for Peasley, Fawful, Koops and so on, aothers well as other characters who once shine in Mario franchise like Plum, Stanley, Hellen and MC Ballyhoo etc. Problem is, If the "tag team" option in the poll is for "fairness", I can quickly answer the real fairness only comes after other named Mario buddies are all in Smash bros fight. But to be honest, I never think Smash bros is playing a fair game when it comes to roster.

And still, the question is still why Mallow hasn't gone on another adventure with Geno and Mario in any recent new game if that is the most basic part of the fairness he deserves.

I wouldn't say Mallows chance for assist trophy must be built on Geno' s entry as a fighter, which also sound abit unfair (if the case isn't Mallow fighter & Geno assist). Like mentioned in Geno thread, I'd rather think both can compete for assists even if they are not fighters, considering assist trophy don't seem as difficult as fighters in qualification. To me the worst result is that both don't become fighters, and Nintendo don't even consider them for assists.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I can't really see Mallow making it on his own without having Geno by his side, with that said, i can't say that i'm against the little guy's inclusion, count me in !

Dan

Smash Lord
It literally makes no sense for Mallow & Geno to be a tag team character... I have no clue why people mention that.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It literally makes no sense for Mallow & Geno to be a tag team character... I have no clue why people mention that.
Because certain people see the tag team concept as the only way to get both characters in which really isn't the case. Once one is in, the other somewhat has their foot in the door to get in later. Mallow will have a chance if Geno makes it in and stays in the roster for future Smash games.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Perhaps it would be something more along the lines of the tag barrel concept that was proposed for Diddy and Dixie Kong during Brawl. They would essentially be a Pokemon Trainer 2.0

Dan

Smash Lord
Perhaps it would be something more along the lines of the tag barrel concept that was proposed for Diddy and Dixie Kong during Brawl. They would essentially be a Pokemon Trainer 2.0
But that's how those characters function... Diddy and Dixie are literally a team that can switch at will, throw each other, etc. The Pokémon Trainer switches his characters at will as well... I would've assumed Diddy and Dixie to be an enhanced version of the Ice Climbers with both characters on screen that you can switch between at will.

At the end of the day the concept makes no sense for Mallow and Geno because that's not how they function in the game, and I'm convinced those who propose it haven't played it. It would be a total disservice to the characters and would never happen anyway; they are going away from concepts like this by separating Zelda/Sheik, and I'm assuming the only reason the Pokémon characters weren't separated was so they could bring back the trainer himself.

Last edited:

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
So I was thinking if Mallow gets first than Geno like a similar scenario that we have with min min instead of getting spring man or ribbon girl first. What if square Enix wants first Mallow. I mean would be strange but I think I'd not have a problem if happens

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I was thinking if Mallow gets first than Geno like a similar scenario that we have with min min instead of getting spring man or ribbon girl first. What if square Enix wants first Mallow. I mean would be strange but I think I'd not have a problem if happens
I think it's very safe to say Geno is going to get in first because of his insane popularity. Geno's popularity is the only reason Square would even invest in the SMRPG brand again.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not quite the same situation. I know that he gets plenty of focus within SMRPG itself (to the point of having a game-long character arc), but technically speaking the only actual lead main character in that game is Mario, with the rest being secondary characters. As far as plot importance goes, Mario > Geno > Mallow > Bowser > Peach.

And we have 2/3rds of the game's party anyways, so. Not to mention that it's Geno who got to cameo in Superstar Saga.

Meanwhile, ARMS is kinda like Team Fortress 2 in that every character is equally important, even if some get more focus than others in the box art, promo material, tie-ins and such.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not quite the same situation. I know that he gets plenty of focus within SMRPG itself (to the point of having a game-long character arc), but technically speaking the only actual lead main character in that game is Mario, with the rest being secondary characters. As far as plot importance goes, Mario > Geno > Mallow > Bowser > Peach.

And we have 2/3rds of the game's party anyways, so. Not to mention that it's Geno who got to cameo in Superstar Saga.

Meanwhile, ARMS is kinda like Team Fortress 2 in that every character is equally important, even if some get more focus than others in the box art, promo material, tie-ins and such.
I think that's debatable whether or not Geno is more important to the story than Mallow. Yes, Geno came from Star Heaven to save the Mario world, but Mallow saved it as well and was with Mario throughout more of the game. Geno and Mallow both have equal importance in my eyes and no one should consider one more important than the other.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think that's debatable whether or not Geno is more important to the story than Mallow. Yes, Geno came from Star Heaven to save the Mario world, but Mallow saved it as well and was with Mario throughout more of the game. Geno and Mallow both have equal importance in my eyes and no one should consider one more important other the other.
In any case, it's doubtful that they'd pick Mallow over Geno, when his fan movement has only been recent, while Geno's lasted at least over a decade by now. It'd be like picking the Battletoads instead of Banjo & Kazooie.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In any case, it's doubtful that they'd pick Mallow over Geno, when his fan movement has only been recent, while Geno's lasted at least over a decade by now. It'd be like picking the Battletoads instead of Banjo & Kazooie.
I totally agree. Though while Battletoads has seniority over the Banjo-Kazooie franchise, I feel like Banjo-Kazooie is more important to Rare.

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
I think that's debatable whether or not Geno is more important to the story than Mallow. Yes, Geno came from Star Heaven to save the Mario world, but Mallow saved it as well and was with Mario throughout more of the game. Geno and Mallow both have equal importance in my eyes and no one should consider one more important than the other.
That's true, I remember when I was a kid I liked mallow more than Geno. Now I like both equally, but as geno is more popular than mallow that's why I started to care more of geno, but both of them are pretty awesome. In the game both have their own moment and stuff.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think after Geno get's in, Mallow should be given a fair shot in the future to grab a slot in the roster. I think it would be fair so it wouldn't look like he was ignored.

Darkerik

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0563-4902-5513
I think after Geno get's in, Mallow should be given a fair shot in the future to grab a slot in the roster. I think it would be fair so it wouldn't look like he was ignored.
Yes I think Sakurai though that and that's why he considered both spirits.

Dan

Smash Lord
They should've done Mallow instead of Plant and then gave us Geno... that would've actually been funny.

Wishful thinking... we will be lucky to even get Geno at this point; Sakurai hasn't seemed to have cared about ignoring him for 10+ years lol.

At this point I'm expecting Geno to get a deluxe costume at the minimum, but when you expect something from Smash you're usually disappointed.

But if he doesn't get playable he is literally the perfect candidate for this deluxe Gunner movement that is happening. It wouldn't be ideal, but I could live with it. If he gets neither, that will be a huge problem. They've done some unforgivable things before (Corrin, Byleth, Plant, lying about Bayonetta, etc.) but this would be truly braindead... but Byleth was a braindead decision anyway, so you never know. The only thing I expect is to be disappointed.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
I woudln't think the "one is in so its counterpart also has a shot" rule is a thing, well, not to most current Smash fighters for sure.

The franchise rep rule exists because not everyone can fit in the crossover roster. It was never meant to be fair.

We only say if a new Mario slot is open, either Mallow or Geno can fight for it.

max_0888

Smash Cadet
The chances are slim but I really want Mallow also. Both Geno and Mallow deserves to be back in the Mario franchise. Way past their time.

Hopefully, if Geno does get in, something will happen and Nintendo will buy back the rights to use them and they could appear in other games.

Mallow is a really cute characters and could have a awesome moveset.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They should've done Mallow instead of Plant and then gave us Geno... that would've actually been funny.

Wishful thinking... we will be lucky to even get Geno at this point; Sakurai hasn't seemed to have cared about ignoring him for 10+ years lol.

At this point I'm expecting Geno to get a deluxe costume at the minimum, but when you expect something from Smash you're usually disappointed.

But if he doesn't get playable he is literally the perfect candidate for this deluxe Gunner movement that is happening. It wouldn't be ideal, but I could live with it. If he gets neither, that will be a huge problem. They've done some unforgivable things before (Corrin, Byleth, Plant, lying about Bayonetta, etc.) but this would be truly braindead... but Byleth was a braindead decision anyway, so you never know. The only thing I expect is to be disappointed.
Buddy, take a look at my signature. There is a list of a ton of evidence for Geno in it that was piled up by Polarthief Polarthief so I suggest taking a look. After reading it, you might change your mind.

Dan

Smash Lord
Buddy, take a look at my signature. There is a list of a ton of evidence for Geno in it that was piled up by Polarthief Polarthief so I suggest taking a look. After reading it, you might change your mind.
I'd say the biggest thing in his favor is Nintendo removing those songs, but I think the statute of limitations is up on the Brawl quote.

I will say the fact Banjo happened gives me hope for him; the issue is that there have been so many chances for them to put him in the game but they just keep ignoring him, sometimes for ridiculous choices such as Byleth and Plant.

Either way, it's time for SMRPG to be loved again and for them to stop baiting us with dumb characters like PP.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd say the biggest thing in his favor is Nintendo removing those songs, but I think the statute of limitations is up on the Brawl quote.

I will say the fact Banjo happened gives me hope for him; the issue is that there have been so many chances for them to put him in the game but they just keep ignoring him, sometimes for ridiculous choices such as Byleth and Plant.

Either way, it's time for SMRPG to be loved again and for them to stop baiting us with dumb characters like PP.
Cheers and toast that he makes it in.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I've never really done a full blown Smash Template (and this will be a simplified version) but I think Mallow has enough to make a full blown set of moves work.

A Jabs: Unarmed Punches

A Side/Dash: Cymbals

A: Down/Up: Whomp Glove

Air Neutral/Forward/Back/Up/Down: Froggie Stick

Floor/Edge Attack: Sticky Glove

Grabs/Pummels/Throws: Ribbit Stick

Smash Side/Up/Down: Sonic Cymbals

[All special moves will be based around Mario RPG button timing with stronger effects if done right]

Neutral Special: Thunderbolt - Scattered lightening around Mallow that will damage other fighters [Area of effect will expand if perfectly timed)

Forward Special: Snowy - Temporarily creates a snowman in front which will damage & temporarily slow down fighters [freezing them if perfectly timed]

Up Special: Trampoline - Mallow bounces off a smile trampoline [turns into a warp trampoline that damages nearby fighters if on ground and perfectly timed]

Down Special: Shocker - A powerful lightening bolt in front of Mallow [small continual electrical damage to fighters if perfectly timed]

Final Smash: Star Rain - A giant star hits the stage with greater damage via B button timing

Up Taunt: Mallow's body separates a few times
Side Taunt: Mallow briefly starts to cry before quickly shaking his head
Down Taunt: Mallow temporarily turns into a scarecrow before turning back

Victory Screen 1: Mallow holds up victory sign with fingers.
Victory Screen 2: Raises up and consumes a Froggiedrink complete with sparkle
Victory Screen 3: An HP Cloud rains on a smiling Mallow

Alts: Normal/Thick Pants/Mega Pants/Happy Pants/Sailor Pants/Fuzzy Pants/Fire Pants/Prince Pants

Fighting Strategy: Mallow is the close range counterpart to Geno. While both utilize timed hits, the former is all about staying close to fighters and hitting them hard at select moments. He's floaty in air and lacks Geno's quicker speed while having stronger throws/pummel as a trade off.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Been thinking about a level setting and while Forest Maze would serve best for Geno, Mallow could be the character with a traveling stage, maybe even with the Royal Bus as the transportation that moves everyone:

Nimbus Land - Opening setting & the safest one with cloud platforms, climbable beanstalks & slowly flying Heavy Troopas
Sunken Ship - Enclosed level where cannonballs are fired about & gaps on the floor can often produce tentacles which attack the fighters
Booster's Tower - More chaotic section with catapults that launch you in the air, parachuted Snifits coming down, & Booster on his train who can hit fighters
Smithy's Factory - Smithy & Smelter produce enemies to be a avoided & bolt lifts which can drop you down if not navigated correctly

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm not crazy about traveling stages but that's a great idea and makes sense!

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Mallow is way too underrated and plays as much if not a bigger role than Geno in the same game. Anyone remember the Mallow plush that recently got confirmed as real when the set of SMRPG plushies was found? Probably one of the most elusive plush toys in existence.
IMG_20200616_150410.jpg

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's funny with Mallow is seems like the SMRPG character that could most easily fit into the mainline setting. The relatively cute design, his personality, and powers give him the feel of a character working fine in numerous Mario spin-offs. Like a Mario Golf release where he has various weather effects depending on if he gets a birdie, par, or bogey.

Top Bottom