• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Major] "The Power of One" ~ Vid Channel links 1st post + Montage by Dekar

What days are you attending?

• Total voters

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
that sdi is sexy. i thought i was pretty good, but evidently, i've got a ways to go. just you kids wait ;)

also, corpse, you didn't answer my question.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
If I think I'm the best? Well to be honest its kind of hard to tell. Its as Cao said at the tourney, the winner of a major pretty much comes down to the bracket which is why I suggested the round robin idea. I think the gap between top players is minimal and the main differences comes in experience rather than skill and in that respect I think its pretty safe to say I have the least experience against good players of different characters :p

Dekar289

Smash Hero
round robin sucks
better option is a few rounds of swiss into top4/8 bracket
better yet, stick with double elim with optional pools
it's fine as long as it's seeded properly

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
round robin sucks
better option is a few rounds of swiss into top4/8 bracket
better yet, stick with double elim with optional pools
it's fine as long as it's seeded properly
I dont know how the swiss system works but I've heard its better than RR. I dont see how it could be better though?

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Swiss system takes a very very long time.
And it doesn't help with Ted timing out 99% of his matches (or trying to =P)

MTGod

Smash Champion
If you're simply the best, you're better than ALL the rest. There was even a song created to further illustrate this concept.Thus, bracket should never matter. You should win majors every time without fail, regardless of who you're up against.

I have a better question - Jigglypuff Sing to Rest combo: legit or legit?

The swiss system I know of (the one used for Squash tourneys) was utter ****. Lose the first game and you can't win the tournament (you will always place lower than someone who wins their first game regardless of subsequent results). I guess it's okay if seeded right, however it still creates a problem for the middle-of-the-pack players who will inevitably have an evenly matched first game. I'm not sure what swiss system you guys are all talking about :S

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
I disagree with that MTGod. Lets say, hypothetically, there are 20 players that are all 'top players' however player 1 only loses to player 19 and 20 while every other player can beat 10 of the 20 players. If a bracket was set up where P1 would face P19 and P20, P1 would be knocked out despite being able to consistently beat 17/19 top players which is better than any other player.

In reality these numbers are unlikely, but the same basic problem still happens (unless your m2k at an aus major).

Dekar289

Smash Hero
- round robin takes years
- mtgod's hypothetical is null when you play enough rounds (depending on turnout) and also how big of a bracket you create from the end result
- corpse's hypothetical is dumbbb lol

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
You can make round robin work by using pools. With 48 people you can split them into groups of 8 (6 pools) and proceed to have each player play eachother twice and the top 2 players from each pool goes through. This leaves 12 players. A 12 player Round Robin is very doable. In the case of brawl, you should calculate the number of stocks you take off instead of the number of game wins. This is a better indication of how well you did and also helps in preventing tied scores.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Sam, your example makes little sense. There's got to be a better way of explaining it than that.

And yes, if you play until there's only one person undefeated then it's fine and there are no flaws (that I can think of lol), but keep in mind each round you'll have -everybody- playing, and if you don't have enough set-ups for each match to be played simultaneously then each round will take twice as long as it should, making double elimination much quicker. Ergo if you have enough setups (CorpseyMath: Half the number of players = number of setups) then it's the better system. But how many tournaments have actually met that requirement?

EDIT: Your FIRST example made little sense :p Your second one I understood.

Point is, there's multiple ways of running a tournament - your way, while providing a better indication of who was better than who at that tournament, COMPLETELY kills ALL hype of the tournament. Also, a winner can be determined before the RR is completed, which is stupid :p When you're at a major tournament, you want hype.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
I thought I only gave 1 example?

I dont know about it COMPLETELY killing ALL the hype but its true that it does have less hype potential :p And its unlikely that a winner be determined early on in the RR if you count number of stocks taken instead of game wins.

EDIT: Thats the first time someone has referred to me as Corpsey since this stalker I had in Anarchy Online.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
maybe we go for no pools and triple elim next time lolol
i'm really against counting stocks won/lost or even games won/lost in a set..

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
****, just double elim. if you REALLY want to figure out the "true" best player you'd have to spend two days in a venue in every major city several tiems to take into account all the different variables that could affect a player's skill on the day: sleep, food, location, weather, etc etc

one tournament will never prove anything.

Richard7

Smash Ace
****, just double elim. if you REALLY want to figure out the "true" best player you'd have to spend two days in a venue in every major city several tiems to take into account all the different variables that could affect a player's skill on the day: sleep, food, location, weather, etc etc

one tournament will never prove anything.
/agree with last part of first line.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
bracket luck is an important part of smash though.
+ i dont want to play lots of games of brawl.. i get tired @_@
i kinda dont even want to play in a 5 game final.. cause its 2 long.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Pools into Round Robin is a good idea

With Double Elimination it's possible for even 3rd place to be lucky for their placement. I've gotten 3rd at a tournament once when I definitely didn't deserve it because I wasn't the 3rd best player. Probably the 5th best player that competed in the tournament. I only got there because an upset happened and so I had an easier bracket than what it should have been. Round Robin would eliminate this.

What I don't like about Round Robin is the fact that there's no Grand Final but it's possible to fix that by having the top 2 after everyone's played each other play off a final set with the player who's got the most wins only having to win one set while the player with the second most wins having to win two sets.

My stance is I'm fine with double elimination brackets because it's tried and true but for a decent balance of fairness and time, pools into round robin is better imo.

tedeth

Smash Master
Shoutouts:

Brawl:

Earl: gg wp. You **** kids with your amazing MK sword.

Attila: Uuuuuuuuuuunrucky. Your SDI is easily best in Aus. It's ok. Calm down. Had alot of fun in out games. I really need to play safe against you because I know how hard you can **** a single mistake. I'm also making a big point about players being respectful atm and I think you are a really repectful player. I give you 5 Teds out of 5 for your attitude. Next time I go down to melb we should hang.

Corpse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwbtQWub7Zs :O
Had alot of fun playing you. You have the second most annoying smirk in the smash scene after Scoot, but DW you are far more disrespectful than him so it's ok. :)

Dekar: Wanna see you ****** Brawl next tourney dude.

R4VEN: I feel like a massive freak just writing your tag, but damn your Samus is so ****ign annoying. Shouldn't have played Falco lol I'm 2g at that MU now. Really impressed with your play overall.

Guy who said he saw my name on Smash-wiki: Hilarious nobody's ever told me that before I felt so famous. :p

Melee:

Dif: Dayum I was so impressed by you. I havn't heard too much about you but you really pushed me and your Falco is soooooooo technical. Loved it.

Attila: Yo dude you **** at melee. Placed equal to me and I actually try. :O

Accellerate: Man I feel I got lucky against you with the old Ganon surprise. I would have liked to play some friendlies with you at some point but I donno I don't like asking better players than me that I don't really know that well to do that for some reason. Anyway man had alot of fun playing you.

Corpse: How hilarious was that phantom rest in friendlies? I lol'd.

Cao: Man you're soooooo good. I donno what to say. I feel super awkward around you. :p

Dekar: **** you are the king Dekar. I was talking to Zxv and I was like "There are 2 people who make Marth look manly, Turt and Dekar." I don't even know what I could have done better against you. Your edgeguards were way too consistant. I feel you are possibly the smartest Melee player in Aus atm.

Redactocles: I was really glad I had all those games with you the night before. It really help warmed me up... and gave me a confidence boost! :p
But seriously I love playing you and just chilling with you. We didn't call Zxv cheap enough though.:)

S.D: Love the beard. Was so good to see you aggain. I would have liked to play more friendlies with you but I think someone came along and ruined the mood. :p
Anyway, you are the man. Wish you were back here. :(

Western Sydney Bros:
Zxv: Yo yo yo yo yo, Zxv in da house. (I made an ammendment. This is now your full catchphrase)
I loved teaming with you man. We really clicked in both games. I have some good alterations that will make our melee game more potent I feel. We will **** everyone by Die Hard or whatever the **** it's called.

EA: Dayum you were playing well all weekend man. Always a pleasure to hang with you, even for a ridiculous car trip where you are constantly annoyed. Don't need to say too much I guess you know it all. :)

Foxy: Tallest smasher in Aus fo sho. Grats getting out of pools. You had your goal and you reached it. So pleased with your improvement.

Gords: GOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
Funny guy. You make me smile. Especially the image of your head bouncing around in the back seat.

Special thanks to: Vyse: For holding another top quality tourney. Last year I said Tempest was one of my fav tourneys to date, and this one topped it. Great **** man. Had a great time. I will def come to the next one you hold.

P.S: Thanks for housing us that night Dean. You're cool. :)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
rawk hawk isn't as cool as cortez

on point - melbourne ran swiss up until rambo year. **** ain't cool, mainly because of the lack of certainty in consecutive rounds before the cut off time to hold a final DE bracket. pools was replaced cus everyone liked it but i never did - waste of time and encourages sandbagging (e.g. i got through pools as pichu and skewed brackets).

a classic singular giant preseeded DE bracket all the way for me. encourages good players to dominate, to avoid going through a marathon losers, adds seeding certainty but not relying on pool data, and minor ranks who 0-2 can set up their own buy-ins, ala pound.

Top Bottom