• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
idk what you other puffs think about this but when i'm in a rough spot where falcon is pressuring my shield I like to upsmash out of shield. I saw a few times where you could do that. it pretty much will reset the situation, if that's what you're looking for.
I also like usmash oos, but it's kinda situational and easily punished off a read.

Today I lost again against the Falcon. Any tips?
http://www.twitch.tv/germansmash/b/402241711
I spent my entire sophomore year of college playing this MU from Falcon's side, and I agree with much of what's been said. You need to practice those edgeguards and you ESPECIALLY need to shield less. Dthrow -> knee is guaranteed (or as good as) at basically any %, so you CANNOT afford to get grabbed. Crouch is a better alternative to shield, most of Falcon's stuff with the exception of stomp and knee can be CC'd at low %'s.

The rest of Falcon's game is bait-and-punish. Watch for his empty jump -> dj patterns, that is a classic Falcon juke to bait you into moving/attacking/shielding/doing something with the empty jump and then punishing with a dj fastfalled aerial/tomahawk/something. You want to turn his game against him by baiting his aerial/tomahawk/whatever and then punishing it.

When you are recovering, be very careful how you use Pound. It's really laggy and Falcons will look for it, and they can run out there and knee you from really far away. It's better to empty hop or fair when you get close, since doing an aerial increases your air speed and makes it much riskier for Falcon to chase you offstage.

Overall, patience is key in this MU. You want to keep your spacing and avoid getting hit rather than trading. Make sure you always DI down and away out of combos for as long as possible (i.e., until DI down and away will literally kill you). You're better off going offstage and trying to recover than you are trying to interrupt the combo, which will most likely trade. In fact, aerial hits in general usually trade, so don't go airborne unnecessarily. Also, don't feel obligated to follow up every poke or single hit in the neutral game. Falcon has a greater reliance on combos than you do, and if you get a few hits in and keep him bottled up in the neutral game long enough, he'll eventually be forced to go for something risky which you can punish.

Just remember that this MU really is pretty even, you have disadvantages that you need to avoid but you also have advantages you can lean on.

MaPow

Smash Apprentice
I got destroyed by two solid falcons in my first tourney. I have a hard time predicting what they are going to do. And I remember them baiting me well and punishing me with deadly strings in the air. DI'ing down and away makes sense and should help prevent that. I could edge guard them well, but I couldn't really find that many opportunities to land a string of Bairs or Fairs to get them offstage.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
I Dair people to go on with these terrible jokes.... Have we not seen these too many times yet?

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
What do you guys think about the viability of using upB to take the ledge, seeing that as long as you haven't used an aerial jump, it's possible to upB in the air without accidentally doing a dj?

If you are near the ledge (but farther than wd distance), running off the ledge and upB to grab on backwards seems faster than turning around and short hopping backwards. If you are farther away from the ledge and facing towards the ledge, sh or fj off the ledge and upB right as you dip below stage level seems like it saves a little time over turn around and sh or fj backwards. It looks whack as **** if you time it so that the Sing animation doesn't visibly come out, it looks like you just grabbed onto the ledge backwards.

Beyond a certain point, even if you are facing the ledge, turning around and sh backwards -> [dj aerial backwards]*x becomes the fastest way to take the ledge, but there seems to me to be a certain range where running to where a fj will just barely take you offstage, then fj forwards and upB right as you dip below stage level seems faster.

Bones0

Smash Legend
What do you guys think about the viability of using upB to take the ledge, seeing that as long as you haven't used an aerial jump, it's possible to upB in the air without accidentally doing a dj?

If you are near the ledge (but farther than wd distance), running off the ledge and upB to grab on backwards seems faster than turning around and short hopping backwards. If you are farther away from the ledge and facing towards the ledge, sh or fj off the ledge and upB right as you dip below stage level seems like it saves a little time over turn around and sh or fj backwards. It looks whack as **** if you time it so that the Sing animation doesn't visibly come out, it looks like you just grabbed onto the ledge backwards.

Beyond a certain point, even if you are facing the ledge, turning around and sh backwards -> [dj aerial backwards]*x becomes the fastest way to take the ledge, but there seems to me to be a certain range where running to where a fj will just barely take you offstage, then fj forwards and upB right as you dip below stage level seems faster.
I thought this was the Falco forums, so I reread your post like 5 times thinking you must be ********. LOL

I am curious how fast WDing is compared to Puff's aerial drift. It seems like it's actually faster for short distances, so I think it might be optimal to begin travelling to the ledge with a WD, and finish with a WD onto the ledge (or perhaps if you are facing the wrong way, a WD into a ledge sing). Also, this reminds me of something I brainstormed earlier. It seems like Puffs often try to cover ledge height side-Bs from Fox, and as a result the Fox will dip down below the ledge a little and up-B with the Puff just barely too high to catch him in time. I think it'd be cool if, immediately after covering the high option from Fox, Puff reverse Rollouts onto the ledge to continue the edgeguard. :D

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Well you could full jump turn around and waveland to grab the ledge. I do use sing to sweet spot the ledge, mostly just to refresh invincibility.

I mean doing it is possible and I've used sing to take the ledge from people when they upB but its still high risk so I try not to overuse it. Not sure how much faster it'd be.

idea

Smash Master
can't every character do the pc chris edgehog anyway? where you walk to the edge, turn around and fall off with walking momentum?

yeah, reverse up-b to grab the edge from onstage is generally the fastest way, but it's hard to time and just slightly better than the alternatives.

a better use of sing is when you're in the middle of an edgeguard and want to grab the edge but don't have time to turn around. i can remember a few instances where i wouldn't have completed the edgeguard/gotten back alive without doing this.

and it's faster than reverse rollout ;) not as swag, though.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
yeah, reverse up-b to grab the edge from onstage is generally the fastest way, but it's hard to time and just slightly better than the alternatives..
I'll accept that using Sing to grab the ledge is not significantly faster than the alternatives, but I don't think it's that hard to time because it's the exact same timing as for shield dropping. You just roll the Control Stick from forward, to just a smidge past the 45-degree diagonal forward and up, and then press B. And if you haven't used an aerial jump, then you can buffer the "up" input at the end of a fair or nair or something super easy.

I am curious how fast WDing is compared to Puff's aerial drift. It seems like it's actually faster for short distances, so I think it might be optimal to begin travelling to the ledge with a WD, and finish with a WD onto the ledge (or perhaps if you are facing the wrong way, a WD into a ledge sing).
I disagree that starting with a wd and then jumping is better than just jumping.

The reason wd is faster than the aerial drift over short distances but slower over long distances is because aerial drift needs to accelerate and wd doesn't, but full speed aerial drift is faster than wd.

If you wd and then jump, you get the worst of both worlds. You will still have to deal with air acceleration after the jump, only you now have less distance over which to utilize your full air speed, if you even have enough space to reach full air speed. It will now also take longer for you to fall down to stage height and grab the ledge than if you just jumped to start with. On top of that, you covered the first 1 wd length of your journey with a wd, which is slower than full speed aerial drift over the same distance.

I guess I can see wd -> jump being faster over a few, very specific distances (such as if that wd lets you use fewer jumps and spend less time falling), but I don't think it's faster in general.

I feel like I've read somewhere that characters keep their ground momentum when they sh, which is why running and shorthopping puts characters like Fox/Falcon instantly at full air speed. If that's accurate, then what I think would be fastest with Puff is dash -> immediate sh.

Also, this reminds me of something I brainstormed earlier. It seems like Puffs often try to cover ledge height side-Bs from Fox, and as a result the Fox will dip down below the ledge a little and up-B with the Puff just barely too high to catch him in time. I think it'd be cool if, immediately after covering the high option from Fox, Puff reverse Rollouts onto the ledge to continue the edgeguard. :D
I cannot wait for the glorious day when a Puff (preferably me) edgeguards a Fox by perfectly timing a reverse Rollout or reverse Sing onto the ledge, then using the invinc frames to ledgehop rest the Fox out of his upB.

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Struggling with some matchups still.... Any tips for Falco and Fox? Falco's laser prevent me from getting in and his bair stops me when I actually do get in. Puff is so slow and Fox is so fast. :(

AustinRC

Smash Lord
Awesome thanks Bones0! I read that and rewatched Hbox's set with PP at Impulse. I think I kind of grasp the general concept of the match now. I'll have to play around with that pound away thing too seems interesting. Thanks again!

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
So I want to play some puff in a serious capacity.

That's all I got, pretty much don't know where to start improving because I need to do everything better lol I also do not I fully understand the character. Any good posts to read or anything?

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Any tips on how to approach Doc, guys? I played a decent Doc a while back, kept eating pills when I tried to approach. I was prob just being stupid and impatient, but is there any trick to it?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Be above them, don't get uair'd or random fair'd for it

throwing a pill is unsafe and laggy, so wavedash in with your back turned and bair oos if he does an unsafe pill. Usually, they'll do retreating pills to stay safe, so just shield it and move in and back him into the ledge until he doesn't have any more space. Make sure to cover the platforms with uairs and cover his jumping with bairs and you can just control the stage easily. Just don't be a scrub and do random aeriel movement and bair spacing, cause pills beat it out and you need to be thoughtful about your stage control and movement.

Mahone

Smash Champion
ya, but there's little leeway in spacing and timing vs upsmash... im sure we'll see it in the future though

also, i think kyrnxe doc advice is great but bones and shroudedone's advice is just not good

bones is just wrong and isnt based only playing the mu or hed know that doesnt work well based on the trajectory of pills and how doc usually follows up pills and spaces them

and shroudedones i guess is technically not wrong since grabs are good when u get them vs everyone, but i dont think spacing to get grabs vs doc is good at all and itll do more harm than good to be going for that kind of spacing vs just aerialing him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VLY0Y1Ew-I

i just watch this, its a great set to see how to destroy doc

Top Bottom