• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

King5280

Smash Journeyman
no i get that part. i mean for the actual sdi input you just mash the control stick the direction you want to sdi?

Bing

Smash Master
Im pretty sure you smash it in both directions. Like left right, the second direction being the one you want to go. Im sure KirbyKaze will come through in a bit and tell me im wrong, but i believe thats its.

idea

Smash Master
yeah, you just jam the control stick in a direction with the right timing.

although in some cases (dunno when exactly) it seems better just to jump/sdi up on fox's upair. it helps if you can react to the hitbox as you see it come out, sometimes it's obvious that the upair is a little low or really far to one side, indicating which way you should try to hurl your body.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
SDI works by checking certain spots on the controller for input. Specifically, the vertices on the control stick. If the control stick passes one of those vertices during hitlag, then you get an input of SDI and your character moves 3 units of "something" (I forget what it's called). If you ASDI (which is produced by holding the control stick or c-stick [c-stick cannot be used for SDI]), you only move 1 unit of "something".

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
SDI works by checking certain spots on the controller for input. Specifically, the vertices on the control stick. If the control stick passes one of those vertices during hitlag, then you get an input of SDI and your character moves 3 units of "something" (I forget what it's called). If you ASDI (which is produced by holding the control stick or c-stick [c-stick cannot be used for SDI]), you only move 1 unit of "something".
derpmeters? .3-jigglypuff-widths?

idea

Smash Master
typed all this earlier, haven't edited it :p

first match...near the end...why would you pound D: that was like the only move not to use in that situation D: just nerves + habit i guess.

also, first stock, upthrow to platform and you read him and baired. which means you had an inkling of what he was gonna do but you weren't sure. in my experience, in cases like that, it's better to gamble and go for the hard read...especially against people you play often. it's worth risking no punish whatsoever to put all your effort into a single read to rest to lose stock to **** the game just started this character is so gay omg i just wanna quit out right now.

also, in general, wavedash more. 30% more wavedash back vs. his approaches would have made a big difference imo.

yeah, i figure you know how this character works by now, so i'm mostly pointing out either really general things (like wavedash more) or really specific things (like, at about 3:22, when he's at the edge, you should jab. you know he wants to jump, or roll, so try to interrupt it with a jab. works really well if you think they're gonna try to jump back onstage, too, or even jump to the edge if they don't perfectly space it.)

but yeah, if there's one thing you should be doing more, it's wavedashing for movement.

-----------------

okay in match 2...

5:14 - after that bair, you should land and uptilt, or land and regrab. dunno what you were trying but whatever it was he grabbed you through it :p although uptilt would be a lot better if you land behind/on top of him so if you can't get that far in it might be better to give up and concede that you baired from too far away to follow up.

5:26 - after that backthrow, you should have waited on stage. the last stock was good, the jump out bair thing, but now that that worked recently and it's his last stock he's going to try to recover differently. in this case, he had been delaying his recovery the whole time, so now he wanted to do it fast, both out of fear and as a mix-up. so you needed to focus on covering the side-b. i think this is typical last stock/fear behaviour for spacies, to just rely on the speed of their side-b.

--------------------

6:38, you have to weak fair there, don't give him the opportunity to tech. any fox wants that tech so bad lol. pound to more bairs would also work, but i probably would have just faired him a bunch. lower down on fd it doesn't matter as much if you strong fair by accident since it's harder to tech on the stage down there/even see where it starts.

[also KK is going to show up soon and tell you move faster out of your own aerials]

Mahone

Smash Champion
ya that freaking first match... its a bad habit i have from playing cpus... im just bored so i keep hitting them... a week ago i was just messing around against cpus and i was like "man i really should stop hitting them when they are under battlefield and take the ledge so it doesn't become muscle memory"...

but i didn't, and then that happened :(

i was the saddest...

ya also not taking rests is a bad habit i've gotten from not doing it in friendlies... i need to stop that cuz its too hard to switch in tourney...

thats for all the other stuff man, i appreciate it

idea

Smash Master
ya that freaking first match... its a bad habit i have from playing cpus... im just bored so i keep hitting them... a week ago i was just messing around against cpus and i was like "man i really should stop hitting them when they are under battlefield and take the ledge so it doesn't become muscle memory"...

but i didn't, and then that happened :(

i was the saddest...

ya also not taking rests is a bad habit i've gotten from not doing it in friendlies... i need to stop that cuz its too hard to switch in tourney...

thats for all the other stuff man, i appreciate it
np. yeah i had that problem too, i got bored of resting in friendlies. had to start doing it again 'cause i started not using it in tournament after upthrows and stuff.

eventually i got tired of jigglypuff in friendlies entirely :laugh:

and yeah, wanna play both of you too, mahone still owes me a falco ditto MM.

Mahone

Smash Champion
rofl... how bout fox falco?

i practiced falco for like 3 months and never played fox... and then at that tourney i did better vs everyone with my fox :(

**** falco man... time to watch those javi vids

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
So I've been messing around with nair->rest lately. I find it really only works when they don't expect it, because after I land it once, they start to be a lot more careful with their spacing. Does anyone else try nairs to rest?

:phone:

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
nair rests are too risky usually, so no. I have landed fair rests and other obscure things before, I just always keep an eye open for rests and take opportunities. I never trade safety for it, though, unless it's worth it.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
It's really easy to see coming since you need to autocancel the nair to hit the rest, and that takes awhile.

Good people will just hit you out of it or CC it.

S0FT

Smash Ace
So it would be cool if yall watch this and help me improve xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5RHuTZvDzQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIlxbGN25z4

One of the major things I realize I need to work on is controlling space more effectively. He kept running away form my aerials and giving me room to approach and I was not abusing it enough and pushing him further toward the corner. Idk if im making any sense. Also my second stock of the first match as jiggs. I threw him up on the first platform and went for a hard read of him rolling to the right. Then the second platform up throw I knew he was going to tech in place again I just messed up the timing and spacing. Ive got some more notes but ill listen to what yall guys think first.

Top Bottom