• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

Massive

Smash Champion
Do any of you guys make practical use out of the sing insta-ledge grab from onstage?
I don't know how practical it can be considered when you can already turn around midair anyway. If you mistime it even slightly you'll do that stupid jump-hop and fall to your death while the other guy gets the ledge. Sort of a high risk, medium reward.

That being said I have ruined a sheik's ledge-stall with it before, that may have just been a fluke though.

I mostly use sing-ledgegrab for omnidirectional ledgegrab after fair chains and keeping from being dtilt/dsmash ledge-guarded by marth/spacies.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think I'm very very good vs Puff.

Given that I ***** every Puff I played at APEX with the exception of HBox, who I took a set from anyway.

Didn't play Darc though so maybe he'd have trounced me.

WHO KNOWS.

STYLISTIC DIFFERENCES AND SH*T.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I haven't found much use in the sing ledgegrab whatsoever to be honest. I do rarely use the sing regrab though because the sing hitbox does hit people by the ledge, but it's generally not effective and very punishable.

Tekk

Smash Lord
Given that I ***** every Puff I played at APEX with the exception of HBox, who I took a set from anyway.
Yeah you're definetly the best sheik vs puff.
I'll beat you when we play tho.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Yeah I have been trying to incorporate it into my game, but I still sd fairly often with it. It's just by far the fastest way to take ledge from the stage, especially after a dash attack or fair that puts you right in front of the ledge.

I just always had trouble wavedashing backwards to a fast fall to edge hog with puff. (because her wd is short and I often miss the ledge with the fast fall)

I was curious whether any of you guys ever use it.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Yeah I have been trying to incorporate it into my game, but I still sd fairly often with it. It's just by far the fastest way to take ledge from the stage, especially after a dash attack or fair that puts you right in front of the ledge.

I just always had trouble wavedashing backwards to a fast fall to edge hog with puff. (because her wd is short and I often miss the ledge with the fast fall)

I was curious whether any of you guys ever use it.
I had some theories on edgeguard on the mario bros that involved using it, but i could only do it like 33% of the time after practicing for like 3 days so i just said **** it lol...

but ya mario bros think they can just **** face with their upb... and they're right, because the hitbox is ********, so if you like backthrow at low percent they will just immediately upb sweetspot since its no risk cuz ur so slow...

OR SO THEY WOULD THINK! then you just ledgecancel **** them

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I had some theories on edgeguard on the mario bros that involved using it, but i could only do it like 33% of the time after practicing for like 3 days so i just said **** it lol...

but ya mario bros think they can just **** face with their upb... and they're right, because the hitbox is ********, so if you like backthrow at low percent they will just immediately upb sweetspot since its no risk cuz ur so slow...

Wouldn't a regular regrab be just as quick without the risk?

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
A regular ledge regrab. Like drop down and hop back to regrab the ledge.

I thought you were talking about regrabbing the ledge using sing, so I'm just saying like it should take the same amount of time without the sing.

Anand

Smash Journeyman

WHO KNOWS.

STYLISTIC DIFFERENCES AND SH*T.
Haha, well, you only played one Puff that made bracket, right? (So you're probably just a much better player than the other Puffs you played, which means it isn't really evidence that you're especially good at the matchup.)

I agree that beating Hungrybox (in a set) is very impressive and probably means you're very good vs Puff, though; I just meant I didn't even see the point of mentioning the other Puffs (no disrespect to them, of course).

A regular ledge regrab. Like drop down and hop back to regrab the ledge.

I thought you were talking about regrabbing the ledge using sing, so I'm just saying like it should take the same amount of time without the sing.
Sing ledgegrabs are very fast (video). I don't think Mahone mentioned regrabbing the ledge; I think he just meant from the stage.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
Yo **** you
Darc, you weren't included in "the other Puffs" (KK said he didn't play you). I mean, it's pretty true that KK is significantly better than the Puffs that didn't make bracket, right? (Those are the Puffs I was talking about, if you re-read my post more carefully.)

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yo I saw that darc guy using a move that wasn't bair

He's not a puff players, he's an imposter

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Darc, you weren't included in "the other Puffs" (KK said he didn't play you). I mean, it's pretty true that KK is significantly better than the Puffs that didn't make bracket, right? (Those are the Puffs I was talking about, if you re-read my post more carefully.)
I'm kidding don't worry about it.

Yo I saw that darc guy using a move that wasn't bair

He's not a puff players, he's an imposter
YO **** YOU

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace

Yes! I have to try it against the mario bros! I totally didnt consider them. Thanks a million!

Right now the only use I've gotten out of it is after I back throw a falco that (almost) always immediately phantasms to the ledge (no jumping). It's kinda hard to get to them with bair or fair in time. Fsmash misses if they sweet spot. Dair or dsmash might work but they're wonky and dsmash doesn't come out right away. So I think Im gonna keep rockin the insta-sing ledge grab BUT DEF THANKS for the thought with mario bros!!! =]

idea

Smash Master
other options:

- jump off, nair while jumping back onstage (facing away from stage)
- ftilt
- dtilt
- hard read it and grab the edge lol

dsmash has exactly 2 frames of usable (non-tiny) hitbox...if you can hit that timing consistently then go for it, but yeah, that's hard.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Yeah basically what I do is immediately go for the hard read insta-sing ledge grab but if I see them jump, I'll stop and reconsider. But I don't think I have enough time to take the ledge without the insta-sing.

And its close timing with being able to get there with the nair (and scary with falco's phantasm).

Ftilt and Dtilt work for sure

Massive

Smash Champion
Yes! I have to try it against the mario bros! I totally didnt consider them. Thanks a million!

Right now the only use I've gotten out of it is after I back throw a falco that (almost) always immediately phantasms to the ledge (no jumping). It's kinda hard to get to them with bair or fair in time. Fsmash misses if they sweet spot. Dair or dsmash might work but they're wonky and dsmash doesn't come out right away. So I think Im gonna keep rockin the insta-sing ledge grab BUT DEF THANKS for the thought with mario bros!!! =]
Sounds like a job for...

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I used to neglect puff's dash attack until like a month ago

It's so amazing

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yep. I love dash attacking people and catching them in the air without a jump. Sends them off the stage for a super easy stock.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Dash attack is def a high risk, high reward move in most instances. It can be punished so hard by characters that can usmash oos (peach, sheik, pikachu, fox).... anyone with a good usmash. But its a good killing move and 2nd jump stealer. Overall I'd say it is something to use only in certain situations and never when your opponent is grounded (unless you can read a roll or tech chase).

As for its use in the below situation (Mario bros upB or Falco's phantasm), it is not as useful. The falco I fight always sweetspots, and the Mario bros upB may out prioritize your dash attack if you don't time it right, and otherwise it trades....

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah, definitely use it for DI chases or ledgeguards for maximum efficiency. It's also nice to get under people sometimes. Dash attack at shields is always stupid.

And yeah peach usmash oos seems like a myth to me.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
So I'm going to this tournament on Saturday, and will hopefully get some stuff recorded and then hopefully critiqued by you guys? I've improved a lot since my last video from like 2 months ago, and hopefully the new videos will show it. While on that topic, is there a need for/should I make a Critique my Jigglypuff video thread? Idk if there's already one out there that hasn't been used in forever, but just a thought.

:phone:

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Nah, there's so few active puffs on this board it isn't really necessary. Just post videos either in here or the social thread. :)

idea

Smash Master
LOL riddlebox and i discovered that like two weeks ago. I dash attacked his shield and he upsmashed oos and it actually hit, and we were both like "wtf"...so we tested it and it worked every time.

but yeah, pretty stupid to put yourself in that position in the first place.

i'm probably going all falco at our next local. i get so bored of puff sometimes, mostly 'cause of her low speed and how susceptible she is to camping.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Yeah, a lot of people dropped puff as their main for that reason. I still find her very fun to play, despite that playstyle.

On the same token, I can't even sort of play Falco. My Fox is alright, but my Falco is as free as a bird now. (triple pun. :cool:)

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Peach will never usmash OoS. Ever. EVER.
That's what I thought until Riddlebox did it to me for a KO, I guess Jigg's dashattack hurtbox stretches into the strong part of peach's usmash hitbox. This happened to me against Idea and Riddlebox in teams a few weeks ago as Idea said below...

Yeah, definitely use it for DI chases or ledgeguards for maximum efficiency. It's also nice to get under people sometimes. Dash attack at shields is always stupid.

And yeah peach usmash oos seems like a myth to me.
It legit works. Its even a pretty good, if not the best option against jiggs' dash attack. :smirk:

LOL riddlebox and i discovered that like two weeks ago. I dash attacked his shield and he upsmashed oos and it actually hit, and we were both like "wtf"...so we tested it and it worked every time.
Yeah I can imagine her usmash oos working against Jiggs' pound as well. KK usmashes oos with sheik whenever he catches Jiggs in a pound (he told me at /Hope). So it is a pretty baller way to punish dash attack on shield for any character with a strong usmash. Peach's other options include a grab which she can't combo out of, and nair which isn't as strong as usmash (especially if it lands with the strong part of the usmash hitbox)

MORAL OF THE STORY: don't dash attack if you think they have any chance of getting their shield up in time. Only use it when you know 100% that it will hit or trade (such as when they're airborne). Even reading a techchase or roll is risky with the potential of hitting their shield. Also, it doesn't cover falco's overB sweetspot and only sometimes works with Mario Bros' UpB.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Whaaaa? I'm thinking about this in my head, and I can only imagine Peach getting the sourest spot of her upsmash on you. It doesn't getting the strong hits f her opponent is grounded (most of the time, anyways). I will take your word, but that sounds really weird. Riddlebox must be a really weird Peach; I don't think any Peach main would consider upsmashing OoS. It's so risky...

EDIT: A bad pound on shield is a different story....

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Her torso/head is the sweet spot.... The tiny hit boxes to either side of her dress are the sourest ones that Im sure you speak of. When Jigglypuff dash attacks your shield I assume she is basically overlapping your character when the usmash oos comes out. This puts Jiggs right in between the two sourest spots. If she hits those sour spots they'll knock her up into the torso sweet spot. Or maybe Jiggs' head just reaches the torso one anyway.

Just talkin theory here.

Top Bottom