• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi in Brawl+

PKNintendo

Smash Master
From 4.1b to the 4.2 nightly build, he got like 6-8 nerfs out of 10 changes. He's still very good, just not broken anymore.

That role is left to Zelda, Kirby and a few other characters thay didn't bother to remove from OP status.
Woah woah woah?

Zelda OP?

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
Woah woah woah?

Zelda OP?
We have a pretty solid Brawl+ scene, here in Montreal and among our top players is Rion, A zelda main who consistantly destroys people with her.

He took 10 stocks off using his 4 in a crew battle, one that included most of our best players.

He consistantly places high in every tourney we hold (albeit we didn't have one with a huge turnout yet, they tend to happen at our weekly meetings and range from 10-22 in participants)

A couple other people in Montreal have picked her up real fast and have gotten similar results.

Many people agree that she needs to be nerfed bigtime.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I think your scene might need to pick up Zelda counters lmao.
Just put 5 minutes into G&W and start gaying her into approaching, and ****** every single approach/offensive option she has XD

Zelda has a great defensive game, and if you are trying to approach her chances are it isn't going to go too well. Force her into an approach because her options in that department aren't nearly as good as her defensive options.

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to have vids up soon, but you have to understand we're not scrubs, we've dealt with MK's and Snakes in vB and Zelda just seems more ridiculous.

I got Dtilted like 5 times into Fsmash for the kill at like 70%.

Her spike, even unsweetspotted is still stupid.

The seconds she shields a punishable attack, you're dead because Fair/Bair are stupid now.

Seriously, we have a lot of serious players in Montreal, notably Fox, Falco, Squitrle, Luigi, ROB, Wolf, MK, TL, IC's, Zelda and a few others and very few of them have beaten Rion's Zelda, so far.

tsunami70875

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me, or is Luigi's down-air way easier in v5.0?

Also, how are the Luigi+ players liking v5.0 anyway?
i like the luigi before the up-air and dthrow changes. dthrow to up air to up air to up air...to misfire was fun :D

but luigi still is awesome

RiteToRmnSilent

Smash Cadet
Everyone's probably going to be like who is this guy? Haha anyway Ive been playing smash ever since the first one, and I found out about this site about 4 or 5 months ago, and I recently decided to join.

I play brawl+ all the time and Luigi is one of my many mains, personally I don't have any complaints about him. dthrow to up-b is pure ****, possibly my favorite combo. Since it appears no one really likes to talk about Luigi (which is sad because I think hes extremely underestimated by a lot of my friends and online players) I figured I will. I don't think hes broken, I think hes quite well balanced out. Short range, predictable recovery, and ALWAYS sliding around are his obvious weaknesses, so I think it counters the fact that once he gets a hold of you, prepare to die...Shielding anything with him will basically mean your going to slide 10 ft back, so sometimes getting in close to deal out your combos is hard. I usually let people approach me instead (except if they have a good long range game, from what Ive noticed you will have to approach, don't forget your fireball). Also I love to be creative and get people into a deadly trap with dtilt then give them an upchop (for those who don't know what I mean that's when you angle his forward smash up) since that seems to be much more effective and is faster between smashes. Anyone notice that besides me?

My bottom line is, Luigi is great the way he is, just master his weird slidy physics, and for the love of God people start using him! Beware fast-fallers and floaters alike!

jalued

Smash Lord
Everyone's probably going to be like who is this guy? Haha anyway Ive been playing smash ever since the first one, and I found out about this site about 4 or 5 months ago, and I recently decided to join.

I play brawl+ all the time and Luigi is one of my many mains, personally I don't have any complaints about him. dthrow to up-b is pure ****, possibly my favorite combo. Since it appears no one really likes to talk about Luigi (which is sad because I think hes extremely underestimated by a lot of my friends and online players) I figured I will. I don't think hes broken, I think hes quite well balanced out. Short range, predictable recovery, and ALWAYS sliding around are his obvious weaknesses, so I think it counters the fact that once he gets a hold of you, prepare to die...Shielding anything with him will basically mean your going to slide 10 ft back, so sometimes getting in close to deal out your combos is hard. I usually let people approach me instead (except if they have a good long range game, from what Ive noticed you will have to approach, don't forget your fireball). Also I love to be creative and get people into a deadly trap with dtilt then give them an upchop (for those who don't know what I mean that's when you angle his forward smash up) since that seems to be much more effective and is faster between smashes. Anyone notice that besides me?

My bottom line is, Luigi is great the way he is, just master his weird slidy physics, and for the love of God people start using him! Beware fast-fallers and floaters alike!

having said that... he also has:

rediculous priority on all his ariels
ability to easily combo into kill moves
has a combo breaker that KILLS
cannot be comboed at all due to lower personal hitstun and his floatyness
a recovery that tbh isnt as bad as your making out
very few real counters and completely mauls alot of the cast

weegee is a ***** at heart lol

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
He also lacks range on most attacks and moves very slowly overall, making him easy to outspace (or it would, if down-B weren't so redonk :ohwell:)

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
has a combo breaker that KILLS
He also lacks range on most attacks and moves very slowly overall, making him easy to outspace (or it would, if down-B weren't so redonk :ohwell:)
*flashbacks to BtL2*
*Jcaez juggles Truth with some Wolf oooairs*
*Truth nairs with Luigi*
*Jcaez dies*

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

jalued

Smash Lord
true, so MK and marth counter him... now lets go to the fatties and fastfallers... oh wait, they dont stand a chance. And yeah, downB is irritating as well

edit: and his recovery is no way as bad as people make out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCpYTm-IJtE

oh and at 1:17, his rediculous nair again!

RiteToRmnSilent

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I'm not saying his recovery is bad, it's just predictable. Nair is honestly one of his most important moves, great combo starter when sourspotted, and amazing kill move when sweetspotted, plus the fact that it's a combo breaker. Also on fast fallers I do a double or triple dsmash as an opening move, almost always chains into itself from 0% a few times for an easy 30-50%. I mean Luigi imo is possibly top tier material when being used from an experienced player. dthrow is also your best friend, not only can you follow it up any combo move at lower percents, it sets up for kill moves at higher percents. UP-b, fsmash(angled up of course), and nair. Or if you really want, just bthrow at higher percents. Combo possibilities are endless, mix it up. Kill moves are amazing...hes really hard to combo on...Luigi for top-tier.

jalued

Smash Lord
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I'm not saying his recovery is bad, it's just predictable. Nair is honestly one of his most important moves, great combo starter when sourspotted, and amazing kill move when sweetspotted, plus the fact that it's a combo breaker. Also on fast fallers I do a double or triple dsmash as an opening move, almost always chains into itself from 0% a few times for an easy 30-50%. I mean Luigi imo is possibly top tier material when being used from an experienced player. dthrow is also your best friend, not only can you follow it up any combo move at lower percents, it sets up for kill moves at higher percents. UP-b, fsmash(angled up of course), and nair. Or if you really want, just bthrow at higher percents. Combo possibilities are endless, mix it up. Kill moves are amazing...hes really hard to combo on...Luigi for top-tier.
yeah it is pradictable, but tbh his downB has rediculous ariel priority, and unless you have an ranged attack, then it is pretty dam hard to edgeguard him. I feel that he isnt properly balanced by his recovery, he's not diddy :p

Mama Weegee

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards here (been reading the thread for awhile now though).

I love Luigi in Brawl + (and Luigi in general. The name doesn't give it away), but I do have a few questions so I can improve my overall level of play. If any of these questions are answered in the thread previously, feel free to point me to the proper page.

First, is there a certain Buffer that is appropriate to use with Luigi? Like a recommended minimum, perhaps?

Second, has Jab to Up B on the ground been completely removed from B+, or is it possible with a certain buffer?

And last, outside of using it as an edge-guarding tool or comboing after a trip/weak n-air (i think), is there any way to combo into the Fsmash?

Thanks for any and all help!

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards here (been reading the thread for awhile now though).

I love Luigi in Brawl + (and Luigi in general. The name doesn't give it away), but I do have a few questions so I can improve my overall level of play. If any of these questions are answered in the thread previously, feel free to point me to the proper page.

First, is there a certain Buffer that is appropriate to use with Luigi? Like a recommended minimum, perhaps?
It's up to you, really.

Unless you have NO buffer, you're not disadvantaged. Just goof around with different setting until you find one that suits your overall timing.

Second, has Jab to Up B on the ground been completely removed from B+, or is it possible with a certain buffer?

I think it still works on some characters (only a small percentage of the cast was affected in vB), but I won't confirm since I haven't tested anything properly.

... But who cares when you can DOWN THROW > SHOOOORYUKEN intead? :chuckle:

And last, outside of using it as an edge-guarding tool or comboing after a trip/weak n-air (i think), is there any way to combo into the Fsmash?
Uair at low percents, Nair at mid percents, Dtilt at mid-high percents. Can't think of any others that don't involve terribad DI.

Hope I was of assistance.

Mama Weegee

Smash Rookie
You were of great help. Thank you very much =D. I know you can D-Throw to an aerial Up B, but meh, I figured it wouldn't kill to ask the question anyway!

Mama Weegee

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the double post, but what do people think of the new build for Luigi? I know he lost his Dthrow kill combos, but the lower hitstun benefits him, I believe. It's easier for him to combo break with his nair now.

He still seems pretty good, just not as lethal as he was.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
You should have been here when Luigi was god tier. He was freaking insane.

I LOVE what they did to his Down B now. It's really good.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
What differences are there? It seems pretty similar to vBrawl to me.

One thing I noticed is that at the peak of hit if you hit with your fists then they get sent upwards o_o high Uair kill setup, anyone?

And of course there's always the typical sweep usage and knocking opponents with bad recoveries out of the way while they try to recover (Link, Ness, etc.).

Jab cancel mindgames. Gotta love em.

Utilt is the greatest combo starter, just like vBrawl.

Uairs when your opponent is on a platform directly above your head.

S
adly, Fair is probably the farthest horizontal aerial range we're going to get. After losing to lloD's Peach several times, I realized that sometimes we're just going to have to live with trading hits with Peach with your Fair.. Gotta use those fireballs to scare her from floating too, though. Fweh.

Dair is nice. Dair/Fair -> Nair/JumpAirDodge is a decent approach.

Bair is great for edgeguarding. In vBrawl I couldn't use this as much because it sends them upwards.. but with hitstun that isn't as much of a problem. Lack of decay + hitstun + knockback increase = results from the edge.

J
ab jab dtilt jab, anyone?

F
tilt is crappy, but it's also probably all we'll get in terms of quick, horizontal, grounded, less-punishable range.

Stutter Fsmash is fast and lovely.

I'm not a huge fan of Dsmash because I'm in love with Melee Luigi's Dsmash, but it's got its smack your opponent away from you uses.

Luigi is fast.. He's all over those platforms and airdodging and shorthop and doublejump airdodge shiz.

B
e all over the place, look for openings, results. We have to play extra smart due to our horrendously obvious lack of range, but it pays off once Luigi is in there.

Yeah, this is a summary of what I got after 2 days of playing B+ so expect more in the future @_@.

Magus420

Smash Master
DD->Dash cancel->Jab->Grab/D-Smash/U-Tilt is very good, and easily one of his best approaches. The jab is **** and has pretty nice range especially with the slide, and leads into good setups/damage.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
SG, have you seen Luigi's crawldash?

Try this: Run to the right, slam the stick down, then a quick quarter-circle back and immediately release back to neutral. Enjoy ;)

Veril

Frame Savant
Luigi is, if not the best character in GSH2 (and I think he is), at least in the top-5. I hate him... so much. More people should use him, seriously. He's not RC1 Ness, but he's ridiculously good at comboing AND combo breaking.

"rage"

Top Bottom