• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi in Brawl+

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
He's great, don't get me wrong, but its not like he lacks serious weaknesses.

He's still going to be range camped to hell by characters like Marth and G&W, to the point where there really isn't much he can do against those characters other than choose a secondary.

He's practically perfect for the metagame though. He can do so many mean things to the fast fallers and fatties who are all popular in B+.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
It seems Luigi still has the auto-sweetspot during hitlag for his up-b. Why wasn't it make to not sweetspot during the whole move like Mario's, etc.?

Edit: Auto-sweepspot during hitlag seems to still be in with more characters than just Luigi... Does that mean that the fix idea didn't work out as well as it was thought to?

matt4300

Smash Ace
Luigi is, if not the best character in GSH2 (and I think he is), at least in the top-5. I hate him... so much. More people should use him, seriously. He's not RC1 Ness, but he's ridiculously good at comboing AND combo breaking.

"rage"
Seconded... Luigi is Gay as ****... So fast, damaging, powerful, full of priority, no hitstun, great recovery... Did I miss anything?

For anyone saying luigi has a real weakness... your wrong. MARIO has that same weakness except ya know it actually affects him. There is absolutely no reason to ever complain about any slight weakness he suposedly has. I wish someone would beat him with a nerf stick... Then again he'd probley like it considering how ****ing gay he is... (no disrespect to actual gays im using the slang version of gay)

Anyone find any glorious nerfs on him in the close to gold build? Ive been looking real hard but he still seems ridiculous...:ohwell:

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
His weakness is range. Mario is not hurt as much as Luigi by lack of range, because Mario is much quicker all around and has a much better projectile.

matt4300

Smash Ace
His weakness is range. Mario is not hurt as much as Luigi by lack of range, because Mario is much quicker all around and has a much better projectile.
I would say mario is hurt more by it ... luigi actually has more range than mario. The moves that luigi and mario use to space like bair and ftilt, Luigi has more range and priority on even though they are the same speed. Not only that but this is luigis ONLY slight weakness... If I were to continue with the mario luigi comparision (wich I will) mario and many other chars have (and are suposed to have) more and much worse weaknesses.

Luigi has a range weakness... Mario has range, damage, recovery, killing, and you know actually has a fair amount of hitstun. You cant tell me marios subpar little fireballz and speed are enough for him to be even close to as wtf as luigi. Thats not very good balance... luigi needs nerfs much harder nerfs than hes already gotten.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I won't disagree that Luigi is a better character than Mario, but Mario does have some unique strengths that make him better in certain matchups than Luigi. ROB and Marth are the first ones that come to mind.

matt4300

Smash Ace
I won't disagree that Luigi is a better character than Mario, but Mario does have some unique strengths that make him better in certain matchups than Luigi. ROB and Marth are the first ones that come to mind.
This isent about how much better luigi is than mario... Marios just an example... I'm saying Luigi compared to all chars is to good. Not that there arent a few better than him... But the ones better than him are to good aswell...

I diden't expect this to be a multi post thing... I kinda thought everyone agreed luigi was OPed. I was just agreeing with the dude that posted above me. Sorry.

Andarel

Smash Apprentice
Luigi is pretty balanced, just he's balanced to be very strong. Mainly because getting around nair is such a pain in the ***, and he's really slidey and has great utilt shenanigans. I wouldn't say he's overpowered, though - especially since he doesn't get that much love in general (I can't think of too many Luigi mains/secondaries at the moment...)

matt4300

Smash Ace
Luigi is pretty balanced, just he's balanced to be very strong. Mainly because getting around nair is such a pain in the ***, and he's really slidey and has great utilt shenanigans. I wouldn't say he's overpowered, though - especially since he doesn't get that much love in general (I can't think of too many Luigi mains/secondaries at the moment...)
Wut? Balanced to be strong? That doesnt even make sense. Balance means even/equal. Saying luigi should be a good char so more people will play him is also ridiculous. I'm just saying... You shouldn't accept imbalance just because. This goes beyond luigi.

Edit: LOL it feels like the early days of Brawl+ again... Talking about balance and imbalance like this. Nostalgic...

kyubikirby

Smash Apprentice
Like what everyone else is saying, his weakness is range. I play against someone who mains charizard and D3 and if he spaces his aerials right with either of them, I cant do much with luigi.

I forces me to go on the defensive with fireballs, and that is a risky thing to do against someone used to camping.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
If you don't think Luigi has a serious range problem than you are probably just using the wrong characters.

His lack of range is extremely evident against characters like G&W, Marth, and MK. They have both the disjointed range and speed to completely shut him down. It forces him to rely on his fireballs for range, and they're too linear (literally, and in terms of ways he's able to use them) to really ease his issues.

He's definitely very good, but he does have a clear weakness. In terms of matchups, he's probably going to end up doing very well against a huge portion of the cast with a select group of very tough matchups.

He's balanced in the way G&W is. If you can't get past the Luigi matchup then you are just using the wrong characters against him.

EDIT:
Also, Luigi's Tornado was nerfed. It was given transcendent priority to solve its crazy priority issues. As long as you can hit Luigi, you can hit him out of his Tornado, in the same way as MK's new Tornado. (Sakurai really liked making tornado moves **** good)

RiteToRmnSilent

Smash Cadet
Alright seriously this discussion is so dead it's sickening. Are there seriously NO Luigi mains or secondaries out there? Maybe someone should make a new discussion or something, with actual useful information in the OP. Hes one of my mains so I would make a new discussion but no one knows who I am so that won't happen. Either way this thread needs a major revival. Maybe discuss some matchups? Like who do you guys find to be the easiest matchup and who do you think is the hardest?...idk it seems sad that the man in green gets no love.

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
Alright seriously this discussion is so dead it's sickening. Are there seriously NO Luigi mains or secondaries out there? Maybe someone should make a new discussion or something, with actual useful information in the OP. Hes one of my mains so I would make a new discussion but no one knows who I am so that won't happen. Either way this thread needs a major revival. Maybe discuss some matchups? Like who do you guys find to be the easiest matchup and who do you think is the hardest?...idk it seems sad that the man in green gets no love.
I play Luigi but this thread is so full of suck that I just don't post. I only saw like 3 good Luigis in vids and Boss was one of them. No one plays him, but everyone seems to know enough about him to say he's broken. It's ********.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Ironically enough, Luigi is not only played more than Mario, but is also considered the to be the positive side of his polar opposite.

Rikana

Smash Champion
No one plays him, but everyone seems to know enough about him to say he's broken. It's ********.
I agree. I think he's broken. I don't bother saying more because I don't main him. I experimented with him enough to jump to that conclusion though.

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
I agree. I think he's broken. I don't bother saying more because I don't main him. I experimented with him enough to jump to that conclusion though.
I wasn't saying he was broken -_-

He gets ***** by anyone with a sword or high-priority/long range.

I'd like to see what kind of ''experimenting'' you did to reach such conclusions..

RiteToRmnSilent

Smash Cadet
I wasn't saying he was broken -_-

He gets ***** by anyone with a sword or high-priority/long range.

I'd like to see what kind of ''experimenting'' you did to reach such conclusions..

Funny, I have a capture card, maybe I should post some videos. I can say with confidence that I know how to use Luigi very well. Oddly enough, BBrawl did something to help with the range/approuch problem, I just wish brawl+ did as well. Well I suppose some changes to those characters helped a little...but not much. Whats good for Luigi is that he also has great priority, just his range suffers. A move that really helped me with those matchups was his tornado, but they lowered the priority on it, not to mention the damage. It still is a good move to use when you can. He is by no means broken though. I have no idea how someone could come to that conclusion when they don't even play him. Even his killing ability was sadly lowered. But in the end, Luigi is a great character to play as once you learn ways around his weaknesses. We should still discuss some matchups to.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Luigi isn't broken. He just breaks the game.
lololol

When you think about it, that's totally true.
The character isn't broken because he can be beat.
The character breaks the game because he can radically change how its played.
Let's be honest, combos and Luigi mix like oil and water. At the same time combos and Luigi mix like water and... well... more water.
The game is based around offense, approach and spacing for most characters (exceptions being someone like Zelda). Luigi just prevents other characters from performing what they are supposed to be doing. Floaty as hell, and it seems like he suffers next to zero hitstun. He's the closest thing to impossible to combo out there, His Nair hits like frame 3 or 4, and it has absurd priority despite its range. He used to be able to mindlessly combo into kill moves. His Tornado was just stupid and ignored rules about spacing altogether,
He is still next to impossible to combo, and he still has a **** good combo game, Just no more lolTornado and loleasyearlykills.

Rikana

Smash Champion
^^^^

To expand on that:

-has projectiles
-horizontal recovery and 2 vertical recoveries
-you can still jab cancel into upB
-crawl to avoid some projectile spams, not all
-decent killing power
-spam bAir for range
-has a dAir spike
-downB tech chases really well

I exaggerated. He's not broken, but insanely hard and annoying to deal with.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Eh, he's really good, but there are several characters who completely shut him down. He's balanced.

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
Let's analyze this recent post.

-has projectiles
He has ONE and it's not that good, can pretty much only be used to remove the opponen't option to jump in some situations and hit them as they are falling/bait an airdodge in others.

-horizontal recovery and 2 vertical recoveries
Luigi may have good recovery options but they are predicatable as hell. If you have trouble edgeguarding Luigi, it is either to lack of experience in doing so or from using a character unsuited to such a task. (Ex: Ivysaur)

-you can still jab cancel into upB
This is a frequent misconception, both in vB and B+. Luigi's Jab Cancel > UpB only truly works on a select few characters (such as ROB, for example). Just inputting shield at rougly the right time will usually buffer into a powershield unless the opponent is airborne when jabbed(and thus unable to shield). There is a thread including a very detailed chart (with frame data) in the Luigi subforum I could find and link, if you absolutely need proof.

-crawl to avoid some projectile spams, not all
Luigi does have a good crawl and crawldash, I'll give you that. I'm not just trying to negate every point you brought to the discussion.

-decent killing power
Luigi has amazing killing power, the moves are just hard to combo into or set up due to lack of range. Shoryuken, up-angled forward smash, the occasionnal bull****-random-Misfire and Nair for later percents are all very good killing moves, but they are hard to use. Luigi mains have to work hard to get an early kill. ask any of them.

-spam bAir for range
Spamming one move doesn't work against any half-decent player. You should know that. Bair is fast, has good priority and is Luigi's aerial with the most lateral range, but any move with a disjointed hitbox will eat through it or clank. Opponents can just shield it and grab if you spaced it wrong or just retreat/attak if it was spaced correctly.

Try bairing trough a noob Marth spamming fair and you'll see how useless bair can be in some situations.

-has a dAir spike
The Dair spike hitbox was improved 1.5x in size in B+ and the knockback was increased as well, it also comboes into a footstool fairly often when landed. I won't hide that it's good.

But keep in mind that even though Luigi has a spike, it's very hard to use. You basically have to hit oyur opponent with ONLY Luigi's butt-area, while avoiding hiting with any other hitbox (basically the rest of his feet, legs and waist). Any opponent with a disjointed UpB will hit you through it if they time their UpB right, as well.

-downB tech chases really well
Again. You are right. Luigi cyclone is crazy-fast, has good priority - Hell, it even clanks with most get-up attacks if you miss your techchase. But other than that, you usually have better techchase options. You can't really combo off of DownB anymore except at low percents and it doesn't do that much damage.

It is a very good techchase move, but unless you're high in damage and you don't want to take the risk of getting punished, or you've played your opponent enough to start reading their habits, there are nearly always better options.

I exaggerated. He's not broken, but insanely hard and annoying to deal with.[

Luigi is not broken. he is, as you say, very hard to deal with if you're using characters that fail at exploiting his weaknesses stated above. Luigi is good against many characters in the roster. At same level,however, Marth, Meta-Knight, and similar characters utterly destroy Luigi.

Edit: I'm thinking about making a new Luigi B+ thread to start from scrath and actually have matchups, discussion and stuff, instead of the huge abandoned pile of fail this thread is.

Thoughts?

5ive

Smash Champion
Let's analyze this recent post.

He has ONE and it's not that good, can pretty much only be used to remove the opponen't option to jump in some situations and hit them as they are falling/bait an airdodge in others.

Luigi may have good recovery options but they are predicatable as hell. If you have trouble edgeguarding Luigi, it is either to lack of experience in doing so or from using a character unsuited to such a task. (Ex: Ivysaur)

This is a frequent misconception, both in vB and B+. Luigi's Jab Cancel > UpB only truly works on a select few characters (such as ROB, for example). Just inputting shield at rougly the right time will usually buffer into a powershield unless the opponent is airborne when jabbed(and thus unable to shield). There is a thread including a very detailed chart (with frame data) in the Luigi subforum I could find and link, if you absolutely need proof.

Luigi does have a good crawl and crawldash, I'll give you that. I'm not just trying to negate every point you brought to the discussion.

Luigi has amazing killing power, the moves are just hard to combo into or set up due to lack of range. Shoryuken, up-angled forward smash, the occasionnal bull****-random-Misfire and Nair for later percents are all very good killing moves, but they are hard to use. Luigi mains have to work hard to get an early kill. ask any of them.

Spamming one move doesn't work against any half-decent player. You should know that. Bair is fast, has good priority and is Luigi's aerial with the most lateral range, but any move with a disjointed hitbox will eat through it or clank. Opponents can just shield it and grab if you spaced it wrong or just retreat/attak if it was spaced correctly.

Try bairing trough a noob Marth spamming fair and you'll see how useless bair can be in some situations.

The Dair spike hitbox was improved 1.5x in size in B+ and the knockback was increased as well, it also comboes into a footstool fairly often when landed. I won't hide that it's good.

But keep in mind that even though Luigi has a spike, it's very hard to use. You basically have to hit oyur opponent with ONLY Luigi's butt-area, while avoiding hiting with any other hitbox (basically the rest of his feet, legs and waist). Any opponent with a disjointed UpB will hit you through it if they time their UpB right, as well.

Again. You are right. Luigi cyclone is crazy-fast, has good priority - Hell, it even clanks with most get-up attacks if you miss your techchase. But other than that, you usually have better techchase options. You can't really combo off of DownB anymore except at low percents and it doesn't do that much damage.

It is a very good techchase move, but unless you're high in damage and you don't want to take the risk of getting punished, or you've played your opponent enough to start reading their habits, there are nearly always better options.

Luigi is not broken. he is, as you say, very hard to deal with if you're using characters that fail at exploiting his weaknesses stated above. Luigi is good against many characters in the roster. At same level,however, Marth, Meta-Knight, and similar characters utterly destroy Luigi.

Edit: I'm thinking about making a new Luigi B+ thread to start from scrath and actually have matchups, discussion and stuff, instead of the huge abandoned pile of fail this thread is.

Thoughts?
luigi is ****ing broken as ****

Magus420

Smash Master
Originally in Brawl+ jab up-b was an actual combo on everyone except Wario and Yoshi iirc. After that, the grounded up-b was given 1 more frame of startup to it in addition to the jab being nerfed just enough so that jab up-b no longer comboed anyone (still was an unblockable string on Olimar and Jiggs though but they could jump out), but also preserved his jab to d-tilt/d-smash/crossup u-tilt/turnaround u-tilt strings on most characters that he also had in vBrawl.

However, recently when the hitstun was reduced it f***ed up all of that and now his jab has less hitstun than it did in vBrawl, since the old finely tuned nerf was not adjusted to go with the hitstun change. I suggested proper numbers to work with the new hitstun along with an updated d-air to go with reduced hitstun but it was pretty much ignored completely, though the d-air change went through.

Everything on every single character in the game can be blocked now if they hold shield. Might as well just jab grab everytime instead of trying something creative and interesting. This is probably a big reason I don't find him as fun to play anymore.

F-smash was nerfed heavily recently. The up angled one makes sense being as weak as it now is since the IASA is crazy good, but the other angles were nerfed almost as much which is a bit weird imo. U-smash now kills about as well as the up angled one, has like 2x the range, and can also be done OoS. N-air kills maybe like 10% later than f-smash depending on DI.

The KB I gave on the meteor is actually a lot less than it was by default. The KB has almost no growth, and is right around the point that begins knocking people down. It's great for continuing a combo onstage by sending them back downward to the ground, especially with platforms. If they don't expect it they'll miss the tech and you can FF to weak n-air and extend your combo or do a ground or aerial up-b depending on their fallspeed to KO. If they tech you can techchase with down-b. At very low damage it's not techable and can sometimes combo directly into a FF strong or weak n-air during their hitstun on the ground.

Not only his butt area (below and behind), but above and in front will get the meteor which is how you generally hit it during combos. If you time it right as you jump into them with it you can get it pretty reliably with the size changes, since it's now the topmost reaching hitbox (it's actually his arms), and the upper arm reaches higher up than the normal body hitbox so when coming in from underneath it'll always be the first one to make contact.

The down-b was changed somewhat recently and is no longer able to clank with anything. It will instead trade and they'll get tapped for 1 damage and you'll get hit by their attack.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Ya caught me! :X Even though I usually still lose, I'm one of the few in my area who relishes the thought of going up against Boss. It's always mad close. ROB is <3 and Luigi gets outspaced and gimped hard.

But Boss makes it look so easy...

Originally in Brawl+ jab up-b was an actual combo on everyone except Wario and Yoshi iirc. After that, the grounded up-b was given 1 more frame of startup to it in addition to the jab being nerfed just enough so that jab up-b no longer comboed anyone (still was an unblockable string on Olimar and Jiggs though but they could jump out), but also preserved his jab to d-tilt/d-smash/crossup u-tilt/turnaround u-tilt strings on most characters that he also had in vBrawl.

However, recently when the hitstun was reduced it f***ed up all of that and now his jab has less hitstun than it did in vBrawl, since the old finely tuned nerf was not adjusted to go with the hitstun change. I suggested proper numbers to work with the new hitstun along with an updated d-air to go with reduced hitstun but it was pretty much ignored completely, though the d-air change went through.

Everything on every single character in the game can be blocked now if they hold shield. Might as well just jab grab everytime instead of trying something creative and interesting. This is probably a big reason I don't find him as fun to play anymore.
I don't remember seeing anything about this in the backroom, but if it's true then I think it should be fixed.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Somebody should make a legit OP, and then name the thread after how Boss is too good.
I'm gonna be honest JCaesar, when I see you post a video of Boss on your channel I get giddy like a school girl because his Luigi/Mario is always so **** sexy to watch.

Whether or not Magus brought up jab, that is something that reaaaaally needs to be fixed.

If you have disjointed long range then Luigi doesn't like you. That's a general rule of thumb. And then Boss makes that rule look like a dead lie because he's Boss. So ignore Boss when it comes to matchups. He doesn't play by the rules.

Meatriding Boss all day.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Fixed meaning Brawl gold is gonna be 8.0 instead? I'd actually like that since there are probably some characters that are hardly ever looked at.

RiteToRmnSilent

Smash Cadet
Somebody should make a legit OP, and then name the thread after how Boss is too good.
I'm gonna be honest JCaesar, when I see you post a video of Boss on your channel I get giddy like a school girl because his Luigi/Mario is always so **** sexy to watch.

Whether or not Magus brought up jab, that is something that reaaaaally needs to be fixed.

If you have disjointed long range then Luigi doesn't like you. That's a general rule of thumb. And then Boss makes that rule look like a dead lie because he's Boss. So ignore Boss when it comes to matchups. He doesn't play by the rules.

Meatriding Boss all day.
I offered to make a new OP as I understand Luigi extremely well. Although more likely then someone who has been around here a lot longer then me will probably do it. But, my offers there if you want it. Also a big thing about Luigi that everyone is forgetting is his traction. It helps and hinders him. I mean hit Luigi when hes in shield and watch him slide like crazy. Basically if you hit him and he uses his shield, your basically in the clear. He slides too far away to really counter attack you more often then not. He is perfectly balanced imo, but man do I miss the old up-angled fsmash.

matt4300

Smash Ace
Luigis utilt kills jiggs at 106 and mario at 135... @_@ HIS UTILT... Apparently luigi really needs be gayer... His entire character stoping nair kills at 120 FROM THE GROUND... His insanley disjointed usmash kills at 112! Anyone who says luigi has to work for kills needs to play some Mario.

RageKev!

Smash Journeyman
Luigis utilt kills jiggs at 106 and mario at 135... @_@ HIS UTILT... Apparently luigi really needs be gayer... His entire character stoping nair kills at 120 FROM THE GROUND... His insanley disjointed usmash kills at 112! Anyone who says luigi has to work for kills needs to play some Mario.
Horribad DI imo, will test that later when I wake up I guess.

matt4300

Smash Ace
Horribad DI imo, will test that later when I wake up I guess.
Don't waste the time. As always kill percents are taken mid FD, no DI, mario. You can say " bad DI" about any kill move. Even the best kill moves can be DIed.. Not like luigis are any different, but those are still very low percents when considering other chars kill moves taken mid FD no DI on Mario.

Top Bottom