• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
If Olimar grabbed himself and had the worst grab range in the game (he does have really short arms, can't imagine his grab range being good), how good do you think he would be?

Dajayman

Yeah, I read over it after I wrote but I didn't change it because it made me laugh. :3
Glad everyone else caught it too. XD

I obviously meant if Olimar performed the grab and not his pikmin.

Noa.

Smash Master
Without grab fsmash's usefulness would decrease so much. At the range now the opponent only has to worry about an attack instead of having to predict or react to grab/fsmash. It would hurt Oli so much IMO. Plus pivot grabbing is one of the most basic and fundamental ways to counter aerial approaches which would be difficult otherwise due to our poor priority and bad OoS punishing game.

HaiWayne

Smash Cadet
what happened to the Deflowered olimar guide??

"This information has been confiscated by the Free Pikmin's Republic of Hocotate. Our leaders of the Olimar Back Room feel that this information leaked to the public would be detrimental, and thus has been censored for everyone's safety. You are welcome"

i wanna read it >[

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Because people want to see it. If they want to see Deflowered, I'll show them Deflowered. However, they should know that the guide is outdated.

kingkyle_333

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering if there is any kind of pattern that is effective when plucking Pikmin? I have just picked up Olimar and have died do to not having Pikmin with me, so I pluck whenever I get a chance but I repeatedly get punished. Thank you!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
There's different ways. Some Olimars pluck pikmin constantly throughout the match, and keep a constant supply of pikmin at all times. Some don't worry about plucking pikmin and pluck two to four whenever they see the opportunity, refilling their line. Just make sure you don't try to pull more pikmin than you can, because it's really laggy if you whiff a pikmin toss. I usually try to keep four pikmin on me at least, at all times. That way if any die, I should be okay and I can scramble to pull more before I'm left helpless.

Dajayman

I always try to keep all six with me, but if s*** is happening then I'll settle for no less than four. Any less and I gtfo and pluck some more.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yes, but it won't be out for awhile. Deflowered will have to hold people until then. If you want more information on stuff, it'd be best to either A) look through the boars for information, or B) ask questions. If there's anything you want help with, we should be able to assist you.

Now, it's time for Hilt to ask a question! But I actually need help with something, guys, lol. What is your main game plan on Norfair? What do you focus on? What do you do? It's without a doubt my worst stage, and the only stage I haven't gone to lengths to practice and work on. I know it isn't that good for Olimar, but I want to be able to at least make it manageable, instead of it having to be my ban against any character that's solid on it, and an auto-loss if I guess wrong and leave it unbanned against the wrong player. So uhh.. anyone have some advice?

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
I say this stage isn't that bad for Oli, but it definitely puts him at a disadvantage in a bunch of MU's.

Any opponent smart enough to always be under Oli and try to keep him in the air has an advantage, of course you could use that to your advantage and always bait him to approach from under you into a grab. You also have multiple platforms to land and recover too, which is (I think) Oli's biggest asset in this stage.

I played in this stage quite a bit yesterday and most of my kills came from spaced forward smashes with yellows when my opponent rushed me but this doesn't work to well if your opponent knows the stage better than you. Your camp game isn't too good here, but it works to some degree, use it wisely.

I'd say use it against opponents who have a hard time approaching from above/below, but I'd ban this one against most people who would take me there (MK for obvious reasons, although You can UAIR juggle him at low persons effectively)

That said uair in this stage is sex for me, I use it a lot.

Lava helps more than it hinders Oli from time to time, but it's situational. I really wouldn't recommend this stage if you don't have much experience, this stage takes getting used to.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
In my limited experience on Norfair, I keep a couple points in mind:

1) USOOS is great for punishing people when they try to attack you from below and rise to high in their attempt.

2) Pivot grabbing through the platform is also a nice trick

3) Trying to be below the opponent is obvious. SH Uairs and Nairs can punish a lot of people trying to get down to you.

4) I abuse the hell of out ledges when I'm in a tight spot. With three ledges on each side and Oli's tether to reach any of them if you need it, it's really not hard to keep running away and look for an opening to get back on stage. Also leads to nice mindgames where someone thinks you're dropping to another ledge and you rise up with a Uair, things like that.

5) When the lava comes, I think two things: get on a platform, and get ready to USOOS. If they try to land on that platform with you (barring characters with air grabs) then that'll be able to punish pretty much anything they want to do if you've placed yourself properly.

That's all I got

Dnyce

Smash Master
Yes, but it won't be out for awhile. Deflowered will have to hold people until then. If you want more information on stuff, it'd be best to either A) look through the boars for information, or B) ask questions. If there's anything you want help with, we should be able to assist you.

Now, it's time for Hilt to ask a question! But I actually need help with something, guys, lol. What is your main game plan on Norfair? What do you focus on? What do you do? It's without a doubt my worst stage, and the only stage I haven't gone to lengths to practice and work on. I know it isn't that good for Olimar, but I want to be able to at least make it manageable, instead of it having to be my ban against any character that's solid on it, and an auto-loss if I guess wrong and leave it unbanned against the wrong player. So uhh.. anyone have some advice?

Now, it's time for Hilt to ask a question! But I actually need help with something, guys, lol. What is your main game plan on Norfair? What do you focus on? What do you do?

What is your main game plan on Norfair?

No-fair? ban it
*fixed*

In reality though, it's ****ing terrible. I hate that stage.
Think of the best 3 things Olimar has:
(1) Camp - worthless on this stage
(2) Grab - completely worthless on this stage
(3) Smashes - pretty worthless on this stage (but not as much as 1 or 2)

Any character that can either (A) Run from an Olimar who can't camp or (B) approach Olimar solidly from below does well against Olimar there. It's ****ing ********. If you have a percent lead, you can usually do well, if you lose it you're pretty ****ed... if you have it and they can shark you well, you're pretty ****ed.

The only thing I can think of is to stay towards the bottom and play safe with uairs. Go for uthrow glitches with the lava that covers the whole stage. Never enter the safety thing unless it's on the bottom platform. Memorize the completely random pattern of the fire pillars that come up... wait... WHY THE **** DID YOU BBR PEOPLE MAKE THIS STAGE LEGAL? Like... did l@in all hand you all some weed and then you guys were like "duuuuuude, we should make norfair legal" -_-' what the **** is wrong with you guys <.<

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace

In reality though, it's ****ing terrible. I hate that stage.
Think of the best 3 things Olimar has:
(1) Camp - worthless on this stage
(2) Grab - completely worthless on this stage
(3) Smashes - pretty worthless on this stage (but not as much as 1 or 2)

Any character that can either (A) Run from an Olimar who can't camp or (B) approach Olimar solidly from below does well against Olimar there. It's ****ing ********. If you have a percent lead, you can usually do well, if you lose it you're pretty ****ed... if you have it and they can shark you well, you're pretty ****ed.

The only thing I can think of is to stay towards the bottom and play safe with uairs. Go for uthrow glitches with the lava that covers the whole stage. Never enter the safety thing unless it's on the bottom platform. Memorize the completely random pattern of the fire pillars that come up... wait... WHY THE **** DID YOU BBR PEOPLE MAKE THIS STAGE LEGAL? Like... did l@in all hand you all some weed and then you guys were like "duuuuuude, we should make norfair legal" -_-' what the **** is wrong with you guys <.<
I see so much logic in this for some weird *** reason but I agree with Fino, there are things you can do as I already mentioned but this stage is just an excuse for some characters to still have an amazing stage to counterpick cause you know, only they have the amazing advantage. Your best bet is to ban it against the main characters who take you there cause in all seriousness, only like 3 or 4 people actually consider this there best stage.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I wonder if Olimar can continuously whistle/perfect shield lava the way Ike and Marth can counter/perfect shield lava...
Every character that has a shield can powershield the lava... powershielding isn't character exclusive -_-

Dajayman

But Ike/Marth can infinitely stay drenched in lava by buffering powershield and counter. I was wondering if Olimar could also stay drenched in lava by continously buffering whistle and powershield. Of course he would take damage, unlike Marth/Ike, but it would be cool nonetheless.

Dnyce

Smash Master
But Ike/Marth can infinitely stay drenched in lava by buffering powershield and counter. I was wondering if Olimar could also stay drenched in lava by continously buffering whistle and powershield. Of course he would take damage, unlike Marth/Ike, but it would be cool nonetheless.
Or you could just powershield the lava? the hitbox comes out every second after block.

Dajayman

I'm not sure if just repeatedly powershielding alone works though...
I don't care enough to test this because Norfair is banned in my region anyways.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
if they start sharking you can sh dair sometimes especially if it's a yellow, it usually out prioritizes them and will sometimes even spike them and then you're like "OOOOOHHHHH WHO'S THE BAD*** NOW *****?!" and they just sit there, and that's that. But yeah this stage really isn't good for olimar at all, but there are a few things you can keep in mind that help make it not so bad.
The edges of the stage are really close to the blast zones, so blue throw and fsmash kills can be really early if you get them close to you. Don't be close to the edges when you're high percents but you can get some solid fsmash kills around 50-60%.
and as already said tether/uair mindgames are nice.

Overall, it really isn't too horrible except for certain matchups.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Doesn't Brinstar also have completely random lava? Speaking of which, how do you fight on Brinstar anyway? It's such an odd stage.
All I know is that my Fsmash is neutered on 75 percent of the main platform which makes me an unhappy camper.

I'm so bad at that stage

Dajayman

Brinstar's ceiling is actually not that small. Olimar gets better fair kills at least. Idk about Olimar on Brinstar, I just go Ness if I get taken to Brinstar.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Doesn't Brinstar also have completely random lava? Speaking of which, how do you fight on Brinstar anyway? It's such an odd stage.
Nope, there is a pattern - same one in melee. It's not too hard if you play on it enough, just like knowing the platform at the top of RC starts to appear once the pendulum swings to the left or knowing a klaptrap appears on japes at time = x:x6 and x:x2 (iirc, it's been awhile - prolly wrong lol). Yoshi's Island and Smashville are more random than Brinstar.

All I know is that my Fsmash is neutered on 75 percent of the main platform which makes me an unhappy camper.

I'm so bad at that stage
Use grab / pivot grab more to compensate... c'mon... you know the slants / curves of a platform help Olimar's grab <.<

Dnyce

Smash Master
That flashy thing a couple of Oli's do where they Tether to the edge, drop, tether again and jump (I'm assuming without lag or something cause it's really quick). How does that work?
Well, you have to still have your second jump to jump at the end... but it's exactly how you said

upB > down > upB > down > jump

Top Bottom