• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
But after whites are purples (if you're constantly whistling like me), so sometimes using whites to grab instead of purples is better.

Wtf is a Rosa Parks? :0

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I use Fair for RP. I'll often throw a pikmin and RP on landing. Whether you fast fall before you do or just regular fall is up to you. Fast Falling it is fun because of the rhythm, lol. But yeah, it's better to use either fair or bair for it, because if you mess it up, you only suffer 15 frames of landing lag, instead of uair or dair in which you'll suffer 30.

@Dajay, Rosa Parks is auto canceling an aerial (landing during frame 2-5 of the attack), which cancels the hitbox but doesn't give you any landing lag. The reason it's good is because it sends the pikmin to the back of the bus. X:

Edit: @Day: You can't RP with Pikmin Toss.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I've been using dsmash to sort through my pikmin, after seeing Brood using it. But I've been trying to get use to pikmin toss -> RP, which is really good. It and instant tether are two ATs that I've been trying to incorporate a lot lately, think they're two of our most useful ATs.

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
So i was wonder what is the best way to gaurd the edge against a MK? Ive been having problems with planking Mks :(. Any advice would be nice.

Jane

Smash Hero
basically what slain said.

stay far away enough so you can space fsmashes and grabs so youre controlling the space immediately on the stage. then just watch what the MK does. be patient. eventually he'll have to get back on the stage, and you should be at a safe distance and not get punished.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
When your on the ledge with Olimar, what options do you use to get back on?

I know of:

1. drop off uair to double jump
2. drop off uair to double jump w/ whistle
3. drop off double jump to two whistles
4. drop off double jump to whistle to nair/fair

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
My favorite is drop to double jump pikmin toss, with purples, which covers you really well. It catches opponents off guard often and is generally safe. Also, air dodge can be put in most situations where whistle is, and is sometimes better for the occasion. And then there's instant return, which is really good, but takes a lot of practice.

Also, you don't have to whistle before you fair. You can just pull from the ledge and fair immediately (which the hitbox will hit the stage right then), or drop and the jump back towards the stage and fair.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I'm not exactly sure what instant return is, but i'm guessing that it involves using Olimar's tether to get directly on the stage?

As for airdodge, in what specific situations would it be better?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'm not exactly sure what instant return is, but i'm guessing that it involves using Olimar's tether to get directly on the stage?
Absolutely will. It's also called Instant Return. It's this.
As for airdodge, in what specific situations would it be better?
Keep in mind that Air Dodge's invincibility frames are noticeably longer than Whistle's Super Armor frames (almost twice as long), but the move lasts a bit longer (9 frames of cool down, as compared to 4). So air dodge is better in some situations in which you predict an attack, while whistle is better in a reactive situation, or at least that's how I see it. Also keep in mind that an air dodge cancel's when you land, so you're able to spot dodge right afterwards (after the two or four frames of landing lag), or run or attack, as compared to whistle in which you would have to continue the rest of the move before initiating something else.

Also you don't take damage while air dodging. So while it may not matter at higher percents, a lot of Olimars don't' pay this as much attention and end up taking a lot of damge early in the stocks because the whistle everything, especially in situations they can't punish the opponent in. There's other reasons, but all in all, you'll need to mess around with both to get a good understanding of when to use either.

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah, never forget simply double jump to airdodge. and then you can mix in double jump to nair without a whistle or airdodge or anything before it, it works really well when you know the opponent isnt gonna try to shield.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
-Reds are really good at smashes and aerials, but not that great with throws.

-Blues are pretty good at smashes and incredible with throws.

-Yellows don't kill early or do as much damage as red/blue/purple, but have more range on most of their attacks and are pretty good for throws.

-Whites are only good for pikmin toss and grabs, but they're not that great with grabs and throws. Their pummel damage in a grab is better than the others though, and the damage they deal when latched onto an opponent is great.

-Purples are incredible at everything except they lack range. They deal a lot of damage, kill at almost nothing, purple pikmin toss is one of Olimar's best moves (if not his best), because of its solid hitbox as a projectile. They, however, don't have a whole lot of range for some of their attacks and grabs. However if you do land a grab, they're great for killing with throws as well.

That's the simplified version. For anything else, you're going to have to ask a specific question.

Cook

Smash Master
Purples also sit on you at the end sometimes if you win and it's hellarious, so they are really good.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
They're also ten times as strong as the other pikmin, so if you're picking something up that takes a ****in hundred pikmin to carry just get like ten purples and you're set.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It was good but easy as hell. Purple pikmin are broken beyond belief. There's no day limit so you aren't rushed which takes out the sense of urgency. Almost all of the game is spent in caves where the day's time doesn't pass, which got boring to me at least.

It's more of a dungeon exploring game than a strategy game, tbh. Some people are into that, but it's nowhere near as good as Pikmin 1, imo.

You should get the wii version of Pikmin 1 though O: It's incredible.

Dajayman

I played a demo of the Wii Pikmin at Best Buy (I was sad because they had a Brawl demo up for over a year there and I used to play random people sometimes with the Wiimote :lick:). The controls felt weird and stuff.

Dajayman

I'm not a big fan of the wiimote anyways, I'm too much of an old skool gamer so I way prefer an actual controller.

Although I didn't really mind using the wiimote playing NMH.

Jane

Smash Hero
the wii version of Pikmin 1 though O: It's incredible.
it really is. ive beaten pikmin 1 twice, once on gc when it came out and once again when it came out on the wii. the wiimote controls felt very natural.

STILL havent played pikmin 2 though :(

Blissard

Smash Lord
Time for dumb question:

When I (try to) pivot grab, 1 of 4 things will happen:

1) Oli pivots, lunges forward a bit and grabs.
2) Oli pivots and grabs in place.
3) Oli pivots and slides backwards while grabbing forward
4) Oli rolls.

I'm assuming that the first result is a dash grab, but I don't understand how I got the 3rd and 4th results o.O Can someone explain to me the timing of the pivot grab to yield each of these individual results?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
What's the button input you're using for pivot grabbing?

What I do is run one direction, and then hit backwards and Y (grab) at the exact same time, as if I'm smashing. Try that.

Edit: You can hit backwards on the control stick a bit before you hit grab, but you don't want to do the opposite. That's probably what's making you roll.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Oooohhh, at the same time. LOL I've been pressing grab (down on dpad) slightly AFTER I pivoted, and I was like...WHY AM I DOING EVERYTHING EXCEPT PIVOT GRABBING?!?!

I think the one where Oli slides backwards while grabbing is pretty useful though :O On a different note...does Skype require a webcam?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Nope. We usually use it just as a regular chat. If anything, we'd do voice chat, but we've only done that like once or twice.

Dnyce

Smash Master

What I do is run one direction, and then hit backwards and Y (grab) at the exact same time, as if I'm smashing. Try that.

Edit: You can hit backwards on the control stick a bit before you hit grab, but you don't want to do the opposite. That's probably what's making you roll.

hit backwards and Y (grab) at the exact same time, as if I'm smashing.
as if I'm smashing
Set c-stick to grab? I'm 100% confused at what you're saying...

Top Bottom