• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Dnyce

Smash Master
Can someone tell me how to get out of falco's CG in a PM please? Its the only reason I can't beat good Falcos in Florida
Don't get grabbed
Mash (if he tries to grab more than 3 times)
Hold Back and spam the c-stick towards him
Never hit jump

The CG should never kill you though, so idk why it's a problem.

Dnyce

Smash Master
So you're saying you like being grab combo'd due to the fact that you can also grab combo somebody? :3
Don't recall saying such a thing, although I think it's silly to complain about a 25-30% CG when we can do 40-60ish

runi

Smash Rookie
what happened to the deflowered thread?

I was looking for the local characte guide via the thread directory, and i noticed that the author deleted it. now my questions are threefold;

1. why was it removed? it says something about the obr removing it but I don't see logical reasoning behind doing so.

2. what's a good alternative? olimar seems like a kickass character, but mastering him with his ridiculous learning curve woul be hard with a lack of a guide

3. is there a pikmin data specific guide? I'm sure that if a full guide is lacking, this would be helpful as well

i can cope without a guide to the basics if need be :'( thanks in advance and sorry for noobsaucing!

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
wtf their was a thread with information in it?!?!? omfg someoen must have some of that info to shed light upon this caged up can of tuna

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Deflowered was outdated.
If you'll notice on the first page of topics, we're working on a new community guide one part at a time.

Jules (Jiom) and PSI are terrible at trolling.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
We have a Q&A thread. Keep questions like this to that thread, please. In fact, moving these posts to it, haha.

As for your question, Deflowered was extremely outdated, and its owner asked me to remove its data and we're going to start from scratch. I'll hook you up, though. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a PM or ask a question in our Q&A. I don't mind answering questions if someone really wants to learn.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
We have a thread devoted to the creation of it. The more people push it along, the faster the thread will be pushed along.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I wasn't aware of that, you should probably post the link to that thread for people who ask about an Olimar guide or people who are butthurt over Deflowered being deleted.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Up Smash is the only one you should do, other than Up Tilt. Down Smash works sometimes, but it's based on the opponent's reaction.

For instance, if an opponent, say a Lucario, is like "oh hey this kid's nairing me WHAT THE **** DO I DO?", you can usually land an up smash or a down smash in this situation.

However in this scenario, you're nairing a Lucario and he's like "oh hey this kid's nairing me I'm gonna counter it with Dair" you'll either hit him with usmash because the hitbox is both above you and faster, or you'll get hit because you tried to down smash him. But then there's some instances where the dsmash is guaranteed, but it's not always easy to see this situations, and in this case, usmash is still guaranteed.

Up tilt is good against characters like Yoshi that have a fast Nair, or when you don't want to stale your up smash I guess. Don't do it that often though, just stick to up smash. Jab is okay out of nair I guess. Don't fsmash. If you know the usmash isn't going to be guaranteed, you can go for a pivot grab to mix it up, since a lot of people will get defensive and shield in this situation.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
for the nair thing hilt, you forgot to mention uptilt is GUARANTEED until about 150% on most characters, even if they DI down and shield WHICH IS A LEGIT WAY TO BLOCK THE SMASH FROM NAIR->UPSMASH/ DOWN SMASH. Also, nair->turn around grab is pretty cool as wall (which i really should start using more)

Asa

Smash Hero
for the nair thing hilt, you forgot to mention uptilt is GUARANTEED until about 150% on most characters, even if they DI down and shield WHICH IS A LEGIT WAY TO BLOCK THE SMASH FROM NAIR->UPSMASH/ DOWN SMASH. Also, nair->turn around grab is pretty cool as wall (which i really should start using more)
don't tell ppl our secrets >.>

Die !

Smash Cadet
He i have two Questiosn

Question 1:
How hard is it to pick up Olimar (I intend on dropping MetaKnight after a Tourny at the end of this month)

Question 2:
Where can i find His AT's

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It isn't hard to pick him up. It's hard, however, to get down all of the things you'll need to get down. Climbing the first part of the mountain is easy. And while Olimar doesn't have a whole lot of ATs or things that you need to practice, he has a lot of different character specific things you'll have to learn and memorize. Getting past that first hump where you're getting gimped left and right is hard and troubling and a lot of people give up at that point. So it'll be up to whether or not you can power through that part.

As for Olimar's ATs, that's a difficult question. We never put together a thread that contained all of our ATs, however there aren't that many in general. And most of the ones that Olimar does have aren't incredibly useful, other than in certain situations. And the ones that are really good are either hard to get down at earlier levels of your game (instant return) or completely useless until you get really good at pikmin management (rosa parks).

However, the one AT that you do want to learn how to use, that's important and crucial for every Olimar is learning how to up smash out of shield. But that's going to depend on if you have tap jump on or off. I can give an explanation on it, but lemme know if you have tap jump on or off first. The best way to get better with Olimar is to ask questions. Learning him on your own isn't going to be easy at all, and you aren't going to be able to get much info on the character except from people that have either played him for a long time and a small group of others that got the information directly from us.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
EDIT: NVM, already answered in a more thorough manner.

Dnyce

Smash Master
He i have two Questiosn

Question 1:
How hard is it to pick up Olimar (I intend on dropping MetaKnight after a Tourny at the end of this month)

Question 2:
Where can i find His AT's
Answer 1:
I imagine Olimar weighs about as much as a dime, so he's prolly about that easy to pick up

Answer 2:
FYI - there isn't a character in Brawl named "His" but if you're planning on playing Olimar I would suggest looking at the stickies at the top of this forum.

Pro-tip: Starting with the threads that say "READ BEFORE POSTING!!! YOU WILL BE INFRACTED!!!" is generally a good idea.

Die !

Smash Cadet

Answer 1:
I imagine Olimar weighs about as much as a dime, so he's prolly about that easy to pick up

Answer 2:
FYI - there isn't a character in Brawl named "His" but if you're planning on playing Olimar I would suggest looking at the stickies at the top of this forum.

Pro-tip: Starting with the threads that say "READ BEFORE POSTING!!! YOU WILL BE INFRACTED!!!" is generally a good idea.
Typical *** Hat Response

The stickes don't help what so ever

Though I'm prob. expecting to much from the internet

Die !

Smash Cadet
It isn't hard to pick him up. It's hard, however, to get down all of the things you'll need to get down. Climbing the first part of the mountain is easy. And while Olimar doesn't have a whole lot of ATs or things that you need to practice, he has a lot of different character specific things you'll have to learn and memorize. Getting past that first hump where you're getting gimped left and right is hard and troubling and a lot of people give up at that point. So it'll be up to whether or not you can power through that part.

As for Olimar's ATs, that's a difficult question. We never put together a thread that contained all of our ATs, however there aren't that many in general. And most of the ones that Olimar does have aren't incredibly useful, other than in certain situations. And the ones that are really good are either hard to get down at earlier levels of your game (instant return) or completely useless until you get really good at pikmin management (rosa parks).

However, the one AT that you do want to learn how to use, that's important and crucial for every Olimar is learning how to up smash out of shield. But that's going to depend on if you have tap jump on or off. I can give an explanation on it, but lemme know if you have tap jump on or off first. The best way to get better with Olimar is to ask questions. Learning him on your own isn't going to be easy at all, and you aren't going to be able to get much info on the character except from people that have either played him for a long time and a small group of others that got the information directly from us.
I play with Tap Jump off(well for oli i planned to)

Dnyce

Smash Master
Typical *** Hat Response

The stickes don't help what so ever

Though I'm prob. expecting to much from the internet
You'll probably drop Olimar in about a month... if you can't handle playing mk in tournament, lmao. What's the point of helping someone too incompetent to make an effort to get better themselves?

Things you will find in the stickies
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=278903 - match up discussion (up-to-date on metagame, links to discussion on each character covered so far)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=283030 - video thread, only current matches. it's good to watch veteran olimars if you're looking to pick up the character
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185696 - almost everything you need to know about pikmin
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=291409 - pikmin pluck based on stage
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225377 - frame data
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8016032&postcount=1 - guide to playing olimar written mostly by yours truly (taken over by hilt since the account got banned)

You know... all that type of worthless dog**** you find in stickies. Congratulations dumb****

Die !

Smash Cadet

You'll probably drop Olimar in about a month... if you can't handle playing mk in tournament, lmao. What's the point of helping someone too incompetent to make an effort to get better themselves?

Things you will find in the stickies
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=278903 - match up discussion (up-to-date on metagame, links to discussion on each character covered so far)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=283030 - video thread, only current matches. it's good to watch veteran olimars if you're looking to pick up the character
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=185696 - almost everything you need to know about pikmin
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=291409 - pikmin pluck based on stage
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=225377 - frame data
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8016032&postcount=1 - guide to playing olimar written mostly by yours truly (taken over by hilt since the account got banned)

You know... all that type of worthless dog**** you find in stickies. Congratulations dumb****
Aww why so mad

Also I top plenty of tournys here in ny with MK
I'd just like to try someone knew

1. I was looking for AT's not frame data etc
I had Trouble finding them, ty for showing me

Also where did you get the idea that i can't handle meta when I have gone toe to toe with ally in MMs and him only edging out a win

Dnyce

Smash Master
Also I top plenty of tournys here in ny with MK
I'd just like to try someone knew

1. I was looking for AT's not frame data etc
I had Trouble finding them, ty for showing me

Also where did you get the idea that i can't handle meta when I have gone toe to toe with ally in MMs and him only edging out a win
Never heard of you.

You mentioned that stickies are worthless. Clearly frame data is worthless (like all those other links in stickies). Especially the ones that say "READ BEFORE POSTING!!! YOU WILL BE INFRACTED!!!" in the title (where all but one of those links came from).

Congratulations - most people do that btw. Ally sandbags harddddd in friendlies and MMs. Who still wins? *smirk* Unless you win, you don't prove anything.

Die !

Smash Cadet

Never heard of you.

You mentioned that stickies are worthless. Clearly frame data is worthless (like all those other links in stickies). Especially the ones that say "READ BEFORE POSTING!!! YOU WILL BE INFRACTED!!!" in the title (where all but one of those links came from).

Congratulations - most people do that btw. Ally sandbags harddddd in friendlies and MMs. Who still wins? *smirk* Unless you win, you don't prove anything.
Ally Certainly did not sand bag against me and certainly does not when were playing for 20$
I said the stickies were worthless because at the moment i was looking for a updated list of ATs which i could not find

And ill be sure to win beat this time at Vc9

Top Bottom