• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Blissard

Smash Lord
I forget who (I think Tin Man) said that it could sometimes increase the percentage on which our dthrow-usmash string works, but yeah I've never really bothered learning it cause hyphen smash is almost the same lol.

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
How do you do instant return??
Tether then immediately DI towards the stage. Here's a video showing that: http://youtu.be/eOUHNl8ZWz0

How should I be DIing MK's throws when I'm on the edge of the stage at low percent? I've been told to always DI away so he can't get a follow up with Nair/Fair, but when I'm on the edge of the stage I feel like it's almost safer to DI up take the damage and get back onstage rather than risk a low-percent gimp.

janne_837

Smash Cadet
Can someone please post the best options after a down-throw (I already read something about Down-Throw-Combos to 50%, however I can not figure out how to do this) or show me a thread where it is posted?

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Down throw -> Usmash -> Uair -> possibly another Uair/Nair
The standard.

Down throw -> Fair
Best option for characters with moves to stop the Dthrow -> Usmash combo, like Yoshi or Luigi.
Works at slightly higher percentages than the Dthrow -> Usmash

Down throw -> Regrab
Works well on fastfallers. It's only true on characters like Fox and Wolf, IIRC.
For lighter characters, predict an airdodge with a slightly delayed dash grab.

Down throw -> Fsmash -> Regrab
Works *sometimes* on *some* fastfalling characters. Hard to actually land if the opponent's DIing.

Down/Up-Throw -> UpB
Kinda works at mid-ish percentages.

Down throw -> Dash Attack
For trolling. Not very useful for attacking, but funny to land.

Down throw -> Purple SideB -> Purple SideB -> Regrab
Use discretion, it can work.

Down throw -> Dair -> Usmash
Rich posted this for Falco.

It just goes on. There are a lot of ways to combo/pseudo-combo people with Oli.
The top three are the most important, IMO. If you can get a white pikmin on them before executing a string, it does a lot more.
IcyLight made a thread a while back detailing a number of strings.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
"All specials (except Pikmin Pluck) can be "bounced" if the opposite direction is input after frame 1 and held on frame 4."'

Basically, input the whistle and immediately press in the opposite direction. If you're holding that direction in frame 4, you'll "bounce" back the other way. You need momentum in the direction you're currently going if you want a good bounce.

-CloverLeaf on Espy's name

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
What can you get out of Down throw against a Marth? After all, his Dolphin slash interrupts a LOT of pseudo-combos, and I'd like to know which ones work against him.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You can get a free sweetspotted Dsmash against him for baiting the Dolphin Slash. :3

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
I'm a new brawler, and i have a few questions concerning olimar.

What is he capable of?

What is his main tactic?

Is he a good camp character? How?

I don't understand how the pikmin attacks work, Up smash will be different if the pikmin behind you is different? I really don't get it, expainations would be greatly appreciated.

That is all.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Olimar is capable of winning you money, but he's also capable of giving you a headache. There's so much random **** to learn to get even relatively good with Olimar that most people give up half way.

His main tactice is camping, punishing landings, and spacing.

He's one of the best campers. Forward Smash, Grab, and Pikmin Toss are great camping tools.

Olimar's attacks will use the next Pikmin in line for the move. The properties of the moves are dependant on which pikmin is used. Exceptions to this rule are down smash, which uses the next two pikmin in line instead, and Up B (Pikmin Chain) which uses al of the Pikmin in Olimar's line. After using the move, the Pikmin(s) used fall to the back of the bus line. Other exceptions to this rule are those moves that do not use Pikmin at all (jab, all of the tilts, neutral air, ledge attacks, get up attacks, dash attack).

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
What is he capable of?
He can play a hard spacing game, kill at 80ish with Purple Usmash, and make characters go from 0-50+% in two seconds.

What is his main tactic?
Kill them before they gimp you.

Is he a good camp character? How?
He's a very good camp character. Pikmin have hurtboxes, so they can block and/or absorb enemy projectiles. Whites do 6% a latch attack, and purples actually have knockback when tossed.
His Fsmash and Grab can also keep out advancing opponents.
Lot of other things to say, but that's the gist of it.

I don't understand how the pikmin attacks work, Up smash will be different if the pikmin behind you is different? I really don't get it, expainations would be greatly appreciated.
The next pikmin in line is used for your next attack (or next two, in the case of Dsmash; the first comes out in front, the second in back).
See the thread directory for a list of guides containing extra information. I would start at the Deflowered! guide if I were you.

EDIT: NINJA HILT!

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Not much. Skank came back and Denti left.
Also, the Dennys down the street hired a new waitress.

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
Thanks everyone, i'll look forward into playing with Olimar since i'm a new brawler., i love playing Campish characters with projectiles, unlike many people.
Also, what is his tough thing to learn, as one of you stated? I do know diddy has Glidetossing, Snake has snakedash, but what's with olimar?

Jane

Smash Hero
those things you mentioned (glidetossing and snakedash) are miniscule pieces of those characters' games. what's more important transcends character and has to do more with spacing, punishes, positioning (as in putting your opponent in a bad position and/or getting out of a bad spot yourself), and reading your opponent.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Not much. Skank came back and Denti left.
Also, the Dennys down the street hired a new waitress.
hmm?

1-10?
Thanks everyone, i'll look forward into playing with Olimar since i'm a new brawler., i love playing Campish characters with projectiles, unlike many people.
Also, what is his tough thing to learn, as one of you stated? I do know diddy has Glidetossing, Snake has snakedash, but what's with olimar?
I think the hardest thing to learn with playing Olimar is that you have to point the yellow stick on your controller toward the direction your opponent is approaching. IT'S VERY IMPORTANT YOU DO THIS AT ALL TIMES! The toughest part is deciding whether or not the yellow stick move will get the bad guy in time and instead press one of the buttons on the top (any of them work). Sometimes you just have to guess, but try strictly using the yellow stick method for awhile before moving on to other buttons.

Sush1

Smash Apprentice
So your saying Olimar should not land smashes normally, but instead using the C-stick?

I'm really hesitating between Snake and Olimar for my camp character, Oli wins in camping, but cant recover for a damn, unlike snake who can camp really well, and yet can recover a little bit better with C4 jumping and Cypher.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
If the recovery bothers you so much, you should probably play snake. He's a better character overall, and doesn't take nearly as much time to get good with.

Dnyce

Smash Master
If the recovery bothers you so much, you should probably play snake. He's a better character overall, and doesn't take nearly as much time to get good with.
and 100% of his hitboxes come out ALL the time

Snake is terrible though. His recovery is a lot better though, but that's more or less to compensate never being able to make it back to the stage once he leaves the ground, L.

Jane

Smash Hero
ok guys, i would appreciate some falco matchup help. even scrub *** falcos have a chance against me because i get ***** by laser/side b spam. any and all pointers would be great.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Fsmash a bunch, punish landings, get him off stage and hit him with moves. Oh and toss purples. Don't jump too much and juggle a lot. I mean... you know what Olimar's bad at doing and good at punishing. And if there's anything you should know, being an Olimar player, is how to gimp Olimar.

Cukee

Smash Rookie
How to beat Falco's Aerials? Especially... well, all of them, and I mean close range, not beating Falco's Bair with Purple Toss. Please, little help.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Do you know how to Up Smash Out of Shield? If you're grounded, and he tries to pressure your shield, I'm pretty sure it beats a good portion of his aerials. If you're in the air, well... don't be. I'm pretty sure none of Olimar's aerials beat Falco's bair, head to head. Maybe yellow fair, maybe nair, but I doubt it. Just focus on only challenging his aerials when you're grounded. Also there's simply causing him to whiff his aerial and punishing it afterwards. You don't always have to beat an attack head on. And considering you're playing Olimar, challenging attacks with your own usually isn't the best way to go about things.

Cukee

Smash Rookie
Do you know how to Up Smash Out of Shield? If you're grounded, and he tries to pressure your shield, I'm pretty sure it beats a good portion of his aerials. If you're in the air, well... don't be. I'm pretty sure none of Olimar's aerials beat Falco's bair, head to head. Maybe yellow fair, maybe nair, but I doubt it. Just focus on only challenging his aerials when you're grounded. Also there's simply causing him to whiff his aerial and punishing it afterwards. You don't always have to beat an attack head on. And considering you're playing Olimar, challenging attacks with your own usually isn't the best way to go about things.
Thanks for the tips (I used to main Sheik in melee and I can't help challenging Falco in the air). Now, how about challenging Falco's Dair (or Bair, but mainly Dair) when Oli being grounded? I keep Up-smashing by mere reflexes(not OoS), and sometimes (don't remember how often) I get hit (and 1 pikmin less on the line).

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I feel like I've come a long way & I'm almost "complete". I feel though that I still need help when it comes to MU's I don't play much, Instant Returning (perfectly/fluently), & finding a balance between aggresive & Defensive Olimar, I tend to be one sided when it comes to that. :/

Any tips on how to fight against Wolf, Peach, Lucas, or Toonlink?

Is there different variations of Instant Return? (being able to be farther away from ledge, doing it faster etc.) if so, how do you perform it?

:phone:

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Wolf:
I've been playing this match-up a lot more lately for some reason.
You can outcamp if he's just spamming SideB. Just keep jumping over or PSing the lasers while tossing and watch for the approach. He'll slooooowly take damage (unless you get a good latch in the head area that avoids the bayonet).

Wolf players seem to like Bair on-shield to grab when you start Usmashing him OoS.

You can get a regrab or two if you grab him at 0 with... most pikmin. 90% sure it does more damage if you Dthrow to Usmash to Usmash, but I'm too tired to think right now.

Might post more later when I'm not tired.

Top Bottom