• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Eliteoctoomba19

Smash Rookie
Olimar is claustrophobic!

I have two mains right now- diddy kong and olimar. For olimar, I often have trouble brawling multiple people at once. Any tips, strategies, videos, or combos? I've been playing brawl for about two months now so I think knowing how to fight in teams is a valuable aspect in tournaments.

Jane

Smash Hero
concentrate on sticking with your teammate more than fighting the enemy. just make it your priority to keep him safe. that way you can minimize 2 v 1 situations.

Linkpower22

Smash Rookie
As Olimar, should I be trying to force an approach against people or should I approach them? Also, how should I be approaching Falco and Snake?

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Force an approach.
You shouldn't approach Snake. Camp him from the ground.
Not too sure about Falco, but you should definitely camp him until you're at 30ish and it's generally better to stay grounded against him.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Can someone explain to me what Invincible Spin Dash is and how it works?

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Do you guys have trouble with campy diddy's or aggressive diddy's? & are you guys afraid of diddys dash attack after a nana throw? please answer. thanks

N_o_M

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys have trouble with campy diddy's or aggressive diddy's? & are you guys afraid of diddys dash attack after a nana throw? please answer. thanks
The diddy in Iowa is pretty fast but he can also camp, I have a bigger problem when he starts to go aggressive. That could be because im bad.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
AFAIK, it's not that bad. ^^;
There are occasionally random influxes of Wolf mains at Texas tournaments, so I'll take a crack at explaining it.

- You can do a lot of quick damage out of a grab (I think regrab is true).

- He can outcamp you, but you can pressure him into doing something out of reflector or neutral B that you can punish by moving to about mid/close range (just outside of his Dsmash range). If he's just spamming laser, just powershield it and sort your line or slowly approach. It has a really slow rate of fire, so there's no reason to rush. He might run up and grab you if you're just sitting there shielding or BDACUS, so watch him carefully.
Also, whites can latch in a place where his bayonet can't get it off. Aim for his head.

- I know we can Usmash Bair OoS if he spaces it poorly, but I'm not too sure if we can do it every time.
Can't hurt to screw with his spacing when you see him hop with his back to you (though he might also wavebounce the laser).

- Also, don't let him grab you near the edge.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Is it really THAT bad for Oli?
No, you just said your friend was dookie with olimar.

- I know we can Usmash Bair OoS if he spaces it poorly, but I'm not too sure if we can do it every time.
Can't hurt to screw with his spacing when you see him hop with his back to you (though he might also wavebounce the laser).
Bair isn't safe on shield if wolf is landing with it... regardless of spacing - just grab him.

janne_837

Smash Cadet
How do you think about Fregate and Yoshis Story for Olimar? How are they generally? What strength has Olimar there?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
We have good pluck percentages on Frigate. There's really no such thing as a "good" starting point for us, though. The first phase is really small and the right side is hit-or-miss. We get gimped really easily off that side, but certain other characters (Marth, Falco, etc.) do, too. When the moving platform is lowered, we can wall pretty well. The second phase is pretty good, but I'd still prefer a stage that isn't a tiny gimp trap more than half the time.
All-in-all, I hate the level.

I'm not too fond of Yoshi's Island (Brawl), but I do see how it's a good level for Olimar. The long middle platform makes for a really good umbrella to use when poking/punishing.
I just hate the level because it feels like it's a bit harder to get back on when you're on the ledge.

I know those aren't the best answers, but I hope they helped a little. Also, please understand that other Olimars may have differing opinions of these stages.

janne_837

Smash Cadet
Thank you, this already helped quite a lot!
Just have another question. What should I do if I ever get hit by that Ghost Pikmin bug? Thanks god I only had this in Friendlies where I just can quit, but I would be ****ed up getting this in some serious games. Can I do anything do get some pikmin in front of the row again?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
If I remember correctly, ghost Pikmin are caused by a glitch when transitioning between ledge-related animations. You just need to find the ledge (or area, if the ledge has disappeared) where the Pikmin disappeared and use attacks that use Pikmin (Usmash, Fair, etc.) to pull it out.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
I was looking around but I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for so. What are Olimar's best OoS options?

1. JC Up-Smash
2.Grab (Up close it wouldn't be useful due to Olimar not having grab armor right?)
3.Fair?

and that is all I could think of I heard Fsmash OoS works but does it really? Never felt like even a buffered Fsmash would be safe since it comes out on like frame 4 plus shield stun.

Thank you. :)

Jane

Smash Hero
nair oos is really good too. and up close grab is certainly effective, just not against the likes of characters such as falco and peach who has super fast jabs.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
nair oos is really good too. and up close grab is certainly effective, just not against the likes of characters such as falco and peach who has super fast jabs.
Fair OOS is okay I guess. Nair's better. Usmash OOS is OP. Shield Grab is okay.
Lol how did I forget about Nair OoS!? I do that all the time lol but thanks though appreciate it.

Teege

Smash Rookie
New member here! (First Post!)

Anyways, here is my question. I've been watching a lot of videos to try and beef up my game, but I keep seeing something some people do that I can't quite figure out. Whenever I see an Oli get thrown away from the stage it looks like they're DI'ing with their Uair instead of the aerial opposite of the way they're flying. Is there something to this, and should I be doing that instead?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The direction the aerial isn't actually what matters. It's the frame that the aerial ends on. Up Air has the shortest duration of Olimar's aerials, which is why you'd probably see it used for this.

However, Fino, name search this and tell me if air dodging is considered to be better now, because I heard some people talk about it or something.

Oh also! Welcome to the Olimar Boards! Hoping you like it here, Teege.

Teege

Smash Rookie
Ah, okay. I see what you're saying. Any general aerial animation will sort of cancel the knockback, and Uair happens to be the quickest. Sounds good.

And thanks. There's a TON of information, so I'll probably be around. :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Well, you have to start a fast fall. That's what slows the knockback. It's just that you're able to fast fall sooner after using up air than you are after n/b/f/dair. Feel free to ask questions :) We'll answer whatever we can.

Jane

Smash Hero
from what i understand, upair + FF is ideal for when you get sent up. for situations when you get knocked to the sides OR corners, airdodge + jump is the best option (because fastfalling could potentially cause you to reach a blastzone when you could have avoided it).

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
We talked about it a long time ago and air dodging is worse because even though you can start it earlier, you can't FF during the airdodge.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Air dodge is only better if you're holding an item. Something to do with getting the item the out faster ( throwing down is our fastest option aside from item drop).

To get a frame perfect momentum cancel, hold down on the control stick and mash up on the c-stick... this lets you buffer the fast fall input since when you hit the c-stick while holding the control stick, the game registers the control stick at neutral and inputs the control stick direction on the next frame.

//is fino

:phone:

Dnyce

Smash Master
Also, the only time a specific aerial matters (when the duration is different) is when the animation of the move positions you away from the blast zone. You're considered dead when your full body has passed the blastzone

Sorry for the double post, at the airport on my phone <.<

:phone:

janne_837

Smash Cadet
Im noticing that I often uses Grab and Fsmash at half-close range without thinking very much which one would be the better option.
What do you think are the pro and cons from fsmash/grab and when should I use which option?

Dnyce

Smash Master
Im noticing that I often uses Grab and Fsmash at half-close range without thinking very much which one would be the better option.
What do you think are the pro and cons from fsmash/grab and when should I use which option?
depends on what character you're playing against.

Top Bottom