• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Bad MU's are Falco, Diddy, MK, Mario and Lucario can be tricky, recovery tricks can include using his down+b whistle that gives super armor for uhhh idk how many frames (help fino), instant return ( again, fino knows better than I ), also momentum canceling which can be learned from GIMR's videos on metagame minute, pivot grabs can be used to grab things like MK's tornado that can't be normally grabbed but you must be careful with oli's grabs because OLIMAR has no grab armor, the pikmin get it.

Also stand under platform flick yellow stick at bad guy

Just doing this cause you main IC's and I now wait to be corrected or replaced with more detailed info.
Thanks, but I was hoping for something a little more advanced. What makes those matchups tricky (besides MK just being MK)? Also can you clarify your comment about yellow pikmin under platforms?

Sylarius

Smash Ace
I'm a player who used to main G&W and just picked up Olimar 2 days ago..
Is B-sticking recommended or not really? Just curious.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Thanks, but I was hoping for something a little more advanced. What makes those matchups tricky (besides MK just being MK)? Also can you clarify your comment about yellow pikmin under platforms?
Falco - Falco's Nair and Jab are pretty annoying, among other things.

Diddy - Diddy's pretty even, but he's an odd character. I'm assuming that's why he put this here.

MK - He does Metaknight things at you and you die.

Mario - Mario's just a really weird match-up.

Lucario - No idea why he put this in here.

And his comment the "yellow stick" was referring to the C-stick. It's a joke (kind of).

I'm a player who used to main G&W and just picked up Olimar 2 days ago..
Is B-sticking recommended or not really? Just curious.
I tried B-sticking for a while. It's a lot more difficult to momentum cancel effectively, among other things. I wouldn't recommend it.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Nietono does it lol.

Also I listed lucario because of something hilt said a while back.

Also because if you try to camp him theoretically when he gets in he does a ****load of damage and has a half decent jab game.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Any random tips for an MK main vs Olimar? I know that you guys/girls know the MU from the other side, however, if anyone could share with me some random tips (Like okay in X situation you do Y cause of Z, or this stage has a cool trick, etc. Things like that), I would appreciate it a lot, and I would of course give some random tips back.

Like for example. One of the current tricks that some MK's are using is that they do a "Non-B pressed retreating tornado". This is basically a tornado without pressing B, and then they land on the ground with some "apparent lag". The thing here, is that this tornado is a bait. Because MK can actually react before/at the same time than Olimar depending of the distance, and how fast each player reacts. Most of the time (60-80%), they will D-Tilt because it's safer, and leads to good follow ups. Or they will simply spot dodge, or roll in fear of a punishment from the Olimar player (again, depends of the style of the MK). Also, watch out for any surprise Dash Grab! (Happens if you like to wait too much).

Keep this in mind with tornado-happy MK's!

Thanks!

Turazrok

Smash Master
Honestly dumb nados as you said get punished for free.

Umm Idk, know about the pikmin types.

TSM ZeRo

Honestly dumb nados as you said get punished for free.

Umm Idk, know about the pikmin types.
You'll be surprised how many Professional Olimars fell for that "dumb" tornado. That's the trick, it looks like a dumb tornado, but it isn't one.

I already studied every pikmin type. Their properties, knockback power, range, etc.

TSM ZeRo

Zero, you got Skype?

I'd love to chat it up with chileknight L
Yes I do Fino, my Skype is:

vVv-ZeRo

Haha, what a coincidence! I would like to chat with you too. By the way, I added you on Skype (With the Skype username you have below your username). Feel free to talk to me anytime, bro!

Dnyce

Smash Master
Yes I do Fino, my Skype is:

vVv-ZeRo

Haha, what a coincidence! I would like to chat with you too. By the way, I added you on Skype (With the Skype username you have below your username). Feel free to talk to me anytime, bro!
I'll be on all day tomorrow after 3 (your time).

Dnyce

Smash Master
Exactly how you said it. Sh > reverse pikmin toss.

He doesn't always use a reverse toss, he uses turn around tosses as well (but rarely wavebounces pikmin toss)

Maxwell Too Swell

Smash Apprentice
I've seen a weird Olimar ledge trick where Olimar will just appear on the stage in a neutral position after his tether. It's like he isn't doing the get up animation. What is this called and how does one do it?

Asa

Smash Hero
um you guys probably know this but just to clarify instead return will pick up bananas when you shield (like landing on one with shield)

Dnyce

Smash Master
um you guys probably know this but just to clarify instead return will pick up bananas when you shield (like landing on one with shield)
yaya, you can aerial dodge just a few frames before landing w/ it... I've been abusing that lately to increase the bdacus window (if the tether hits your opponents shield it seems to keep you in a really good position afterward)

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Question regarding oli's advanced techs: what is pivot boosting? And is there a significant advantage to oli's dacus? Also can oli bdacus?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I was just looking for info. But since you posted that, you must know what pivot boosting is... O great Fino, I prostrate myself before thy feet and beseech thee: wtf is pivot boosting?

Dnyce

Smash Master
Sorry, I was just looking for info. But since you posted that, you must know what pivot boosting is... O great Fino, I prostrate myself before thy feet and beseech thee: wtf is pivot boosting?
I'm bad, don't say that, lol.

Pivot boosting is getting a movement boost out using pivots. So, say you're facing left... you'd want to tap right (so you turn around for an instant) and then walk left and input a move.

It's like craq-walking... or manually pivot-walking (hold attack + walk + tap diagonal up/back while walking).
example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgzVCD3uS4 (keep in mind this was made in 08 when reading the text, lol).

so to pivot boosting to make the dacus longer, you want to pivot boost > dashattack... etc.

did that make sense?

EDIT: I've tried using pivot boost > pivot grab/boost pivot grab/etc grab shiz... haven't been able to work anything useful, but I haven't quite figured out if there's a timing to it or anything yet, lol.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Nice! I didn't realize that pivots gave a significant boost to stuff. Surely that can be useful for other stuff... does pivot boosting work with all of the characters?

Edit: facepalm. Stupid question.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
I have a question

I have trouble when I face a character that has a multi-hit jab (ie Sheik, Fox, Pika). If I shield an attack (usually an aerial) and they go directly into a jab if I try to Up-smash Oos I get hit, if I stay shielding the jab eats away at my shield, If I roll away I get punished. Is this me just missing the timing for the Up-smash or is there a better option in this situation?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You could always SDI up and Fair them if you get caught in the multijab.

You should be able to hit them with a rocket by Usmashing OoS immediately after Jab2 with a pikmin with sufficient HP to take the next hit, but I'm not as certain of this one. I think there are 11 frames between Sheik's Jab 2 and multijab at optimal speed, which would be enough time to at least get a pikmin out.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Against Pikachu if he keeps jabbing, he'll get pushed back from your shield after a few hits. Also considering Olimar has the second best shield in the game for not getting poked, don't be too afraid of your shield getting low. As for "this option's beatable, this option's beatable, and this one is too", paper rock scissors. Complicated paper rock scissors. Think about what your opponent thinks you're going to do and choose an option that's going to get around it. Being in jab range, stuck in a shield, is a terrible situation for Olimar, but one you're going to find yourself in often. Usually you aren't going to have any options that are unbeatable like some other characters have (except usmash oos sometimes), but that doesn't mean you're done for. You can still slip by if you're quick enough on your feet.

Also, don't be afraid to jump. Sure, being above the opponent isn't the best situation. But it puts you in an area where you have several, several options available to you. And considering it's something that wouldn't happen that often for Olimar, it would catch the opponent off guard and give them less time to react. And if they have less time to react, they're going to go with the golden option. And if you know that their option A is much, much more likely to be successful for them than B or C, you should be able to get your positioning back.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
I never thought to jump Ill have to try that I can see where using an aerial would be unexpected.

Anyways thanks for the Advice Clover and Hilt (Ill probably be back in the future with more questions)

Sync.

Smash Champion
Just learn that pattern or what situation puts you in that situatiob and avoid it. If I see Sheik short hopping towards me chances are she'll nair->jab. I can either roll or pivot grab(either way depending where you are on the stage) or just upsmash her before anything comes out.

Of course mixups come into play and whatnot. Careful not to fall into a pattern and always mix it up!

:phone:

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
Just came across a new problem with a peach friend, how do you get around a mid range glide toss into grab?. if you jump you get hit, if you sheild you get grabbed, spot dodge is a grab, fsmash gets grabbed... any one know?

Edit: besides short hop fair, i tend to shy away from this since depending on tv lag it is sometimes impossible to get the timing right.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'm not entirely certain by what you define as mid-range, but have you tried... rolling away? Or jumping and Z-catching the turnip?

And T.V. lag shouldn't be a factor. Can't you play on CRTs?

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
oh sorry. what i meant by mid range was about the distance peach can glide toss a turnip.

and that makes since, but i would assume that a peach can tech chase a roll, and grabb or u-tilt/u-smash during the final few frames of a z-catch. i might be wrong though since the peach only just picked up the move i havnt had ample time to adjust. i was just more carious if their was a common way to get around it.

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
How do you stop people from ledge-hogging you? Any advice on how to recover is also helpful.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
How do you stop people from ledge-hogging you? Any advice on how to recover is also helpful.
I can help a little with this one basically you have to vary your recovery. Don't always try to approach the stage in the same way: Olimar has so many different tools and options to recover. However, the two most important techniques are to master WAC and learn good DI. If you are good at both of those your survival time should increase dramatically.

Top Bottom