• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
- You're going to be Uairing as you momentum cancel anyway, so just keep Uairing until you get a purple to the front. Purples are really good for recovering because they give an extra option for getting back on (with toss). Just time the toss to hit them when their invincibility wears off (if they hog early) or before they hog it.

- You can recover low, save your Double Jump, and DJ Uair from under them. I like to use my second jump early and try to recover high, but many think that this is bad.
So basically:

Pikmin Usefulness Rating when Recovering
---
1. Purple (described above)
2. Yellow (extra range gives more time to delay the Uair)
3. Everything Else

- Fastfalling Airdodge can be really useful, but be careful about where you do it. You don't want to start a fastfall after your second jump and realize that you aren't getting enough horizontal distance to still recover.

- Don't be afraid to be aggressive in the air, but remember that our priority is weird and you can't just divebomb a Dair through like... Falco's Uair or something.

- Remember whistle bouncing, watch what they're trying to do, etc. etc.

Tacket

The Innovator
Realized that I posted my question in the wrong place...
Repost...

Hey how do you ledge pluck?
I forgot already.

Another question.
Is using the whistle to superguard an oncoming power move like the Donkey Punch and an fsmash practical at times instead of shielding?

Another question.
Since Olimar practically has no stalemate with his smashes. Is it practical to use them more often than tilts?

:phone:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It's called Instant Return. I wrote a post on it to help those that don't understand it. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12104288#post12104288

Huh. Maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea. We have a habit of answering the same questions a lot in the Olimar boards. It might be better to have a lot of the general questions on hand, written up in posts that we can link to whenever they're asked in the Q&A thread, and keep them cataloged or something. Just an idea. Clover, when you get back from doing stuff get with me sometime so we can talk about stuff.

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
If my tether connects to a ledge, but i don't hit "up" for Olimar to grab it, does that count as a ledge grab?

Edit: like what happens during an Instant Return. Olimar hands don't touch.

It might be better to have a lot of the general questions on hand, written up in posts that we can link to whenever they're asked in the Q&A thread, and keep them cataloged or something.
It wouldn't hurt. ;)

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Huh. Maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea. We have a habit of answering the same questions a lot in the Olimar boards. It might be better to have a lot of the general questions on hand, written up in posts that we can link to whenever they're asked in the Q&A thread, and keep them cataloged or something. Just an idea. Clover, when you get back from doing stuff get with me sometime so we can talk about stuff.[/COLOR]
I actually have a bit of an idea about that.
I'll still have significantly reduced activity today and I leave for a tournament on Friday, but I can talk about it tomorrow and Thursday. I'll probably contact you tomorrow evening/night.

Latch

Smash Apprentice
Probably the most random question ever, but can you footstool opponents while they are crouching? (I.E. jumping off of snakes ***)

Sync.

Smash Champion
Another question.
Is using the whistle to superguard an oncoming power move like the Donkey Punch and an fsmash practical at times instead of shielding?
Tehee the secrets I have young Tacket. I have told Mr. Fino and Zori already. Maybe I'll release them when I get more consistent about them...

Sync.

Smash Champion
I would, but I don't want to give you wrong information. For now, just assume it's better to shield. If you look at any of my videos though, you may see me whistle instead of shield and counter with smash attacks.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Not really. Depends, mostly. If the move isn't punishable on shield, but it is punishable if you whistle it, you may want to consider whistling if you are confident in being able to not mess up the whistle and confident in being able to effectively punish it afterwards. This also brings up the question of how much you're wanting to trade at the time being.

The other factor is if the move isn't safe on shield at all. Like, if they are able to keep pressure on your shield (while not being able to do so if you whistle). Similar to the above reason, but not as often. Actually, neither of them are that often.

All in all you shouldn't be whistling too much on the ground. It's extremely situational, more so than you should be dealing with. Whistling should mostly be used when landing or being edge guarded.

Asa

Smash Hero
if there's a pikmin in the way of a marth's fthrow->fsmash combo, you can whistle the fsmash due to the increased hitlag and punish that ;D

janne_837

Smash Cadet
I have quite a lot problems with the Falco and the MK Match-Up, pocket knights are ****** my a**. Some general tipps would be helpful =)

Teege

Smash Rookie
I got into the Brawl scene kind of late, so I'm still learning. What I'm wondering is should I bother trying to learn the MK matchup? I figure since he's banned I won't be fighting many of them, but I thought maybe there would be another reason.

Turazrok

Smash Master
I got into the Brawl scene kind of late, so I'm still learning. What I'm wondering is should I bother trying to learn the MK matchup? I figure since he's banned I won't be fighting many of them, but I thought maybe there would be another reason.
He's not banned that's misleading. The unity ruleset has him as banned and not everyone follows that because tbh the unity committee has no clue.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Can anyone tell me how to properly SDI Nair/Uair?
SDI diagonally up and out. Try to land behind him, if possible.

It can't hurt to learn it, no?
I'd still learn it, even if he's banned in your region.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
So something I'd like to do sometime soon is to go through the bulk of the Olimar boards, find every informative post and catalog them into a Q&A. A lot of questions are asked over and over and it'd be good to either have them already set up to post for them without spending too much time rewriting it, or have it in an area that they can find it without having to ask.

I brought this up in the past, but I really want to do this. Clover, we should start working on this, if you'd like. Doesn't have to be a private conversation, I don't see any reason to not take care of it publicly. There might be others that want to help, too.

Might not be too bad of an idea to start compressing our threads, spring cleaning of sorts. Going to try to come up with some ideas soon.

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
I'm going to a tournament Saturday, and before it starts I'm going to challenge the best Marth and Metaknight to money matches for experience. Is there anything i need to know about before i try this?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
About Marth:

- Dsmash destroys Marths that like to hang on ledges.

- Dsmash destroys Marths that don't like to hang on ledges.

- Seriously, it'd be great if you have the chance to Dsmash him.

- ...no, seriously.

- Foxtrot away to Stutterstep Fsmash can be good.

- Get under him if he gets greedy with his double jump shenanigans.

- Watch to see if he has patterns in the way he uses Dolphin Slash and make him scared to use it by baiting it and punishing with a sweetspotted Dsmash.

- He has no projectile. Fling things at him if he isn't approaching and look for him to start coming.

- Don't panic against shieldbreaker. It can destroy you if he baits a panic spotdodge with it. It also has deceptive range.

- He's as bad on the ledge as you are. Don't let him on without getting in bookoo damage.

- Don't be afraid to ledgehog against his dolphin slash. If he lands onstage, free Dair. If he doesn't, free stock.

- When you're on the ledge, remember that you have ledgedrop -> Uair, ledgedrop -> SH -> Whistle -> whatever, ledge attack, ledge roll, a normal ledge get-up, jumping from the ledge, instant return, etc.
If you get locked into one option, he's going to gimp you for it and laugh while he does so. Marth's really good at edgeguarding.
Also remember that he can poke you off with Dtilt if you take too long to decide, which puts you in a bad position.

- Ban SV, strike BF and SV IMO. SV turns Marth players into rapists.

- It feels as though yellows make it 10x easier to space them with Fsmash.

I only have experience against a few Marths, though.

Asa

Smash Hero
it should be noted that dair usually isn't the best option .. just doing a normal getup or an instant return can get you much more rewarding punishes against onstage up-bs

Top Bottom