• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lost (The show on ABC)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No Lost this week - April 27th. But I read some bad ***, yet possibly fake spoilers for the rest of the series, only going to share a few non-important ones.

Episode with Jacob and Man in Black will be entirely in flashback telling, like Richard's. That should reveal A LOT about the island once and for all.
The deaths of important characters are coming.
Major mysteries to be solved in this episode include the identities of Adam and Eve, how the Man in Black became the Monster, who built the frozen wheel, and how Jacob became the protector of the island. - Source by Dark UFO

Also, is anyone else in agreement that Desmond has replaced Jacob? He basically guided 2 to 3 people to their destinies to meet up with their Island friends, AND Jacob lived on the island his whole life, giving him the exposure to electro-magneticism that Desmond has.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Last week was kinda rough without my LOST fix. Tuesday cannot come fast enough.

As for Desmond replacing Jacob, I can see why you'd think that, but I don't know why they'd do that after making this big deal about how there were only so many candidates left and not mention Desmond in that group. Also, what would happen to Penny and their kid?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
My question is,
did Frank die? He was in front of a window which exploded inward, and we never saw him again...but no one mentioned him at all, and that's not something Lost usually does when people die.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
Two words about this episode: holy ****.

A few more words:
I called the C4 being in Jack's backpack once Smokey handed it to him. The Sun/Jin scene ranks towards the top of the most emotional moments of the show(Charlie's death, Desmond and Penny's phone call in "The Constant", when Sun screams as Jin is left on the exploding freighter to name a few). I'm also unsure about the status of Frank, but I hope he's still alive, even though he's not that big of a character. I guess if they're still trying to use the plane he'll need to be alive. I liked the sideways plot in this episode as well, especially the reappearance (albeit a short one) of Bernard. Ugh, it's going to be tough waiting until next Tuesday for another episode

edit: also

Looks like we can pretty much say that Jack is "The Candidate" from Sayid's parting words.

Smokey's last words of the episode, "I'm going to finish what I started" (probably not verbatim), what do you think that means? Can he actually kill them or is that not allowed? I don't know how else he'd be able to finish them off.

aaaaaaand I'm hoping Ben, Richard, and Miles will show up again soon. I've missed their presence

one more edit:

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/05/04/lost-series-finale-will-expand-to-two-and-a-half-hours/

they added another half hour to the finale!

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
The final act of that episode was, like... depressing, moving scene after depressing moving scene. It's unreal, the emotive stamina this show has sometimes.

However in hindsight I can't look quite so favorably on this episode considering
they probably killed Frank off, and when trying to save everyone Jack either forgot he exists or wasn't worth so much as an effort to even contact him. Seriously, Jack?

Then on the beach no one said a word about his absence. Not a word. Frank's not a huge character, but he's a good one, and has been solidly entertaining and even unusually consistent in his morals, by Lost standards. He deserved better than one last oneliner and then a swift death.

Also, here's a funny, spoilerless idea my friend showed me about how to end the series if
they were to bring Frank back

It's the final episode of the series, Jack and Flocke are the last two people left standing and both have made their way to the Ajira plane. Flocke is dripping in water and weakened by electromagneticism and he's about to kill Jack when BOOM a shotgun blast out of nowhere rips through his stomach and he falls the ground. The camera pans up and reveals Lapidus wielding a shotgun and standing over Flocke's corpse. He utters the single greatest one liner in the history of television - 'Didn't you see the sign? No smoking.'

Honestly, although that's bad writing on so many levels that Lost usually tries to avoid, that is so awesome I would be 100% satisfied with it.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
ahahaha that would be amazing, EE. A while back I had this idea that it would be amazing if Ben killed Smokey at the end as he unveiled that he was manipulating them all from the beginning in an epic 40 or so year plan.

Also, I was amazed because I knew who was going to die in this ep for quite some time now and yet I still found it heartbreaking to watch.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
ahahaha that would be amazing, EE. A while back I had this idea that it would be amazing if Ben killed Smokey at the end as he unveiled that he was manipulating them all from the beginning in an epic 40 or so year plan.

Also, I was amazed because I knew who was going to die in this ep for quite some time now and yet I still found it heartbreaking to watch.
You're reading spoilers on the last season? Doesn't that just completely ruin the point of it? You should watch it spoiler free, you've got plenty of time to not be spoilered for the rest of eternity once it comes out on DVD.

Also I can't believe this episode, this had probably one of the saddest moments in television history. I feel like I'm going to cry.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Sayid's
death was pretty heroic. My question is:
why did he suddenly turn back to normal
?

Poor
Frank. He never gets a break. At least he got to do stuff this time.

I was like :( at
Sun and Jin's death. Sure, they never really did much, but it was always nice to see them around because they were pretty normal and very much in love. Jin should've at least got out for that one daughter they have. Yeah, Ji Yeon? Oh well. R.I.P. Sun and Jin

I think Flocke's going to finish Desmond off. Claire, stop him!

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
It's the final episode of the series, Jack and Flocke are the last two people left standing and both have made their way to the Ajira plane. Flocke is dripping in water and weakened by electromagneticism and he's about to kill Jack when BOOM a shotgun blast out of nowhere rips through his stomach and he falls the ground. The camera pans up and reveals Lapidus wielding a shotgun and standing over Flocke's corpse. He utters the single greatest one liner in the history of television - 'Didn't you see the sign? No smoking.'
I laughed so hard.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Sayid's
death was pretty heroic. My question is:
why did he suddenly turn back to normal
?
He wasn't near Locke, and he was surrounded by 5 other Candidates for protector. I really see Nemesis' mere presence as being something damaging to people.

Man... I am SO excited for the series finale...

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
No, no, no! Sayid has been acting 'normal' since Desmond said 'what will you tell her when she asks what you did to get her back?'

Also, I absolutely loved when Jack says 'John Locke told me' before knocking Smocke into the water.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
For some reason, I thought the water was going to mess the Monster up somehow. I was shocked when he crawled out totally fine.

Edit:

Also whoever came up with that mirrors theory, I take back what I said about you seeing patterns where there is none.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Jin should've at least got out for that one daughter they have. Yeah, Ji Yeon? Oh well. R.I.P. Sun and Jin.
No, I would have never accepted that. It would have been completly out-of-character for him to leave. His sole motivation throughout the show was Sun.

For some reason, I thought the water was going to mess the Monster up somehow. I was shocked when he crawled out totally fine.
Lol, he melts.

"MY ONE WEAKNESS NOOOOOOO I NEVER WOULD HAVE EXPECTED THIS ON AN ISLAND"

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
No, I would have never accepted that. It would have been completly out-of-character for him to leave. His sole motivation throughout the show was Sun.
Yeah. I guess at the spur of the moment, he couldn't let the love of his life die alone like that. Still, the poor girl is going to grow up an orphan and not know what happened to her parents.

Can't believe there's only about 3 episodes left. :(

Master WGS

Smash Lord
In regards to our favorite pilot...
DarkUFO confirmed Frank for being alive, so no worries, folks. He apparently has some more on-island scenes, so he ain't done yet.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
In regards to our favorite pilot...
DarkUFO confirmed Frank for being alive, so no worries, folks. He apparently has some more on-island scenes, so he ain't done yet.
Yeah I heard that, great to know. To be honest, I'm amazed he and Miles have made it this far.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I GOT SPOILERED ABOUT A CERTAIN CHARACTER APPEARING IN THE FINAL SCENE!!!! ****ING WASHINTON POST!!!! I'VE BEEN TRYING TO AVOID ALL SPOILERS YOU ****ING PIECE OF ****!!! GIVE US A BIGGER SPOILER W ARNING NEXT TIME!!!!!

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This episode:

- Not a whole lot was revealed other than:
+
Jacob and "who the **** ever" are brothers
+
Jacob and "guy" were indoctrinated by some crazy woman
+
The light created the smoke monster
+
Jacob has murdered without hesitation
+
"Adam" is Jacob's brother MEANING Smoke Monster is NOT really Man in Black, similar to how Locke is working.

I was most annoyed that they never revealed Man in Black's name. REALLY?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Wow, really, Osco? For me the time just flew by, though I'd have liked more information. Honestly I think an episode like this should have been a two hour special... as much or more of importance would take place after the events we saw.

Interesting theory about Smokey, but I think you're wrong, Eric. Why would he talk about loopholes, why would he have the exact same objective, why would he forge the most direct connection to MIB (emotions and reminiscing make it clear), why would Jacob treat him like a brother... and so on and so forth.

As cool as it is to think of Smokey as some amalgam of every person he has impersonated/absorbed -- which would lend interesting weight to how Terry O'Quinn said he's playing the character -- he is definitely MIB.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
To me, it was one of the episodes where the show just gets too full of itself. I felt the same earlier in the season with the whole Dogen not liking to speak English thing. With all that happened last week, a departure from the main storyline was not what I was looking for. Maybe after the finale this episode will make more sense, but I thought it was a waste. It definitely picked up as the episode went on, but the parts with
Jacob and Smokey as kids
were boring as hell. But the end still wasn't that great.

I agree that Smokey is definitely MIB (also I agree it was dumb not to give us his name. Are we supposed to believe that just because his real mother didn't have a name for him, fake-mom never gave him one?), or at least his "soul" or whatever you wanna call it. After this episode I have a tough time seeing Smokey as the true "bad guy". Crazy-mom never really gave a reason as to why he couldn't leave and I just felt bad for him the entire time. Unless he is really gone and the Monster just sort of "took him in" when he got lazy-rivered down the stream into the light. Though I don't know why the Monster would be so set on leaving the island as well.

Only three and a half hours (with commercials) left. I can't wait to see some familiar faces again next week.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Well, Lost has always been about moral complexity and whatnot. Benjamin Linus is one of the biggest ****nugget SOB's ever to grace any of the screens of any medium, but he's had his emphatic moments despite this. This is what I like about Lost... with major characters, they refuse to demonize or simplify. People are people, after all, jerks or not.

That was the thing to MIB being sympathetic in this episode -- I think it was deliberate. We saw him be such a **** in the last ep that i think we needed a breather like this if we were ever going to believe he was once a human being like the rest of us.

This is gonna sound weird, but how did the ep end? I didn't sleep last night, and as hard as I might try I can't for the life of me remember the actual, specific ending. What was the last scene, or whatever?
Was it the Adam and Eve stuff
?

And yeah I can't wait for some more
of my favorite pilot.

Also I guess I'm slow on the draw, but has anyone ever pointed out the beautiful irony that John Locke wanted nothing more than to stay on the Island, and would ultimately get bodysnatched by the person who most wants to leave?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Here is why Smoke in Black is
not Man in Black.

Smokey shoots out of the cave as MIB is dropped down. In this process, we learn what is worse than death: the smoke monster. Richard and Jacob called Smokey "evil incarnate," and releasing him would mean the end of life. Jacob never really gains these opinions until later and weeps when he sees his dead brother. Not knowing how much time has passed from the birth of Smokey to Richard's landing it is impossible to say that Jacob treated Smokey with affections because it was still his brother. All we know by the end of the episode is that Smokey and Jacob are alone on the island. Smokey has appeared as Christian and Locke gaining all their memories in the process (along with mannerisms). So, twice has Smokey consumed a dead person and taken over who they are. This transformation is
noted best when Sayid and Claire interact with SmokeLocke; they treat him similar to how they treat Locke.

Finally, and most ****ing, we had MIBs body. When Smokey consumed Locke, his body remained behind. Not so with Christian, but he is a different case.

Also, it proves why the source needed a protector: any one going down to the light unleashes the monster. If they leave the island the world ends. Smokey, and his presumably first consumption, both want to leave. Smokey, as Locke, addressed that his goals conflicted from Locke's so it isn't out of this world for him to consume someone with the same goals.

Sorry for being all over the place. Typing this all on a phone sucks.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I never thought I'd say this but they've finnally explained the Monster.

I liked that episode, I've been waiting for it since day 1.

Edit:

Also if some fans are going to whine about this episode they should stop watching now because they're not going to like the ending.

Seriously, if any of the answers aren't what they wanted it to be it automatically sucks. There is absolutely no way whatsoever the writters can please all the fans.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
There's a difference between not liking answers and not getting answers. Who was "Mother?" That question probably won't be answered. How did the people find the Island and who built and put the Wheel in place?

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I think the Smoke Monster is supposed to be some sort of entity infused with the Man in Black's soul. Somehow, the large pocket of electromagnetism was able to separate his "being" from his body (try explaining that scientifically). I think it was in the episode "Recon" when Flocke told Claire about his crazy mother and how Jacob stole his humanity from him. Well, we got the explanation of that.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
Also if some fans are going to whine about this episode they should stop watching now because they're not going to like the ending.

Seriously, if any of the answers aren't what they wanted it to be it automatically sucks. There is absolutely no way whatsoever the writters can please all the fans.
Have you seen the ending already?

I'm not complaining about this episode because it didn't give me enough answers or the answers that I wanted, I'm complaining because I found it to be a boring and not a good episode.

edit:

and in response to Eric,

A question I have about your theory is why would child Jacob keep appearing to Smokey if Smokey and Jacob's brother aren't the same? The events that released the Monster happened once Jacob and Man in Black were adults, so for child Jacob to have significance to Smokey, at least a part of the Man in Black must be Smokey.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
If I was making Lost though, I would've aired this episode before The Candidate.

When I'm watching the DVD's with my friends who haven't seen Lost on tv, I might actually watch this episode after Everybody Loves Hugo or The Last Recruit.

Heck, maybe just after Lighthouse.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
@Osco: Valid point that I can't answer. I just know that we've seen Locke's body as proof that Smokey and new Locke are the same person and he has no real relation to Locke except appearance, some memories, and how people generally act towards him.

Top Bottom