• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lost (The show on ABC)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Man...

I really can't say I saw any of that coming, and it was easily the best moment(s) in television for me.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, it's already over here...

I...can't say I understand. I don't feel like anything was answered.

But, at the same time, it was probably the most moving moments in TV history.

I really just don't understand.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yeah, it's already over here...

I...can't say I understand. I don't feel like anything was answered.

But, at the same time, it was probably the most moving moments in TV history.

I really just don't understand.
The finale wasn't nearly as deep as you may think. Basically, the Alt storyline was the afterlife, which fits pretty well.

On the Island, the one way to kill the monster was to kill the Island since they were created from the same. By extinguishing the light (of life as said by the protectors), it effectively took away Smokey's power. By doing so, Jack could finally kill Smokey for good. In doing so, he sacrificed himself and relit the flame without the evil looming.

Hugo is now the protector of the Island with help from Ben, giving Ben what he needed most: a place where he is needed, which fits well with the idea that the island needs people as much as the people need the island. Hugo was the first, and only, person to have a deep connection with the island without ever setting foot. Furthermore, he was the only one who cared for other people as deeply as needed. Jacob was relatively cold, and Jack was temporary.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I don't get it.

What was the island then?

What were the flash sideways?

WHERE IS WALT???

Mewter

Smash Master
My gosh. That was confusing.
So the alt timeline was the afterlife, and the end wasn't just being metaphoric and Jack's father wasn't really a zombie?

I'm lost.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The finale wasn't nearly as deep as you may think. Basically, the Alt storyline was the afterlife, which fits pretty well.

On the Island, the one way to kill the monster was to kill the Island since they were created from the same. By extinguishing the light (of life as said by the protectors), it effectively took away Smokey's power. By doing so, Jack could finally kill Smokey for good. In doing so, he sacrificed himself and relit the flame without the evil looming.

Hugo is now the protector of the Island with help from Ben, giving Ben what he needed most: a place where he is needed, which fits well with the idea that the island needs people as much as the people need the island. Hugo was the first, and only, person to have a deep connection with the island without ever setting foot. Furthermore, he was the only one who cared for other people as deeply as needed. Jacob was relatively cold, and Jack was temporary.
Yeah, after about a half an hour of mulling it over by myself I got the same thing.

My friend hindered me, of course, because he doesn't understand it but thinks he does and explained to me "what happened". He thought that the sub-timeline was literally a different timeline and that at the end it collapsed because it became redundant, which didn't fully make sense to me.

When I thought it over, I realized that Jack's father talking about "moving on" definitely did not make sense in that context, and made most sense as I originally interpreted it -- moving on from life, and that Ben and Hurley conversing and saying that each of them "were" a good #1 and #2 meant that the whole thing happened in the PAST, not at the same time.

Now that I've had time to think it over, I really love the way it turned out.

We've been watching the show for however long and been kept in suspense, theorizing and wondering what would happen next, getting caught up in the confusion, etc. And in the ending, they didn't answer everything, and they didn't spell everything out in plain language. There's still something to think about, everything is not closed up. Given the way the show was for 6 years, that's really the only way it should "end".

That's my take on it, at least.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
People found that hard to understand? Jack's dad basically explained it to Jack with his "some of them before you some of them long after you" speech.

That was fantastic. Lost was an amazing show.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
People found that hard to understand? Jack's dad basically explained it to Jack with his "some of them before you some of them long after you" speech.

That was fantastic. Lost was an amazing show.
You might want to add spoiler tags, just to be safe.

He explained it, but he didn't come right out and say it so it took a little bit of thought. I also was half-listening to his speech and half trying to understand what was going on, thinking in my head, so I only got about half of it. At first when Jack started realizing he was dead, I was scared to death that they had all died in the plane crash in the first place and the entire thing was some sort of afterlife, which would have been a rather cliché ending.

Then as soon as it was over and I was trying to work it out in my head my friend chimed in and told me that he got it, and that the second universe disappeared or something.

I didn't really find it hard to understand, I just had to put everything together before I got it.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
We don't really need spoiler tags anymore. The show is over and has now been shown in its final timeslot.

I liked the way it ended and I didn't find it hard to grasp at all. Jack's father clearly explains it and the lines from Hurley and Ben help to further put in into perspective. I'm really satisfied with the way it ended but I'm also a sucker for afterlife scenes.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
We don't really need spoiler tags anymore. The show is over and has now been shown in its final timeslot.
Some people may have recorded it and will be watching it later, though. If someone was busy, 2 and a half hours is a lot of time to commit.

Grandeza

Smash Master
So was the island underwater in the afterlife timeline because this is the afterlife they envisioned to meet up with each other and the island was something that brought them all suffering so they wanted it to be far from them?

Absolutely loved the ending :D

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The island...what is it? Someone explain.
In the normal storyline, the Island is still what Jacob and everyone said: a cork to stop evil from leaking out. In the AltLine, like with an afterlife, it was unimportant because they all are dead, and evil is gone.

Anyone catch that a ton of religions were represented in the room with Christian's coffin? That was pretty awesome. Religion doesn't matter in an afterlife.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Anyone catch that a ton of religions were represented in the room with Christian's coffin? That was pretty awesome. Religion doesn't matter in an afterlife.
Yep, the first thing I noticed was all the religious stuff on the shelves, and then there was the big stained glass window.

"Christian Shephard? Really?"

It was a touching conclusion; barely answered anything, but I thought it was a good ending.

L O S T

TheSlip

Smash Cadet
I loved it. Best thing I've ever watched on TV. I liked it more than any movie I've seen.

Everything was incredible.

See you in another life, brotha.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I loved it. Best thing I've ever watched on TV. I liked it more than any movie I've seen.

Everything was incredible.

See you in another life, brotha.
I loved when Jack said that to Desmond. One of the best scenes because Desmond was finally set free. No more messing with his life; he just gets to live.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Also: Miles made it to the end and got off the island! I'm so happy! :bee:

The part of the episode that baffled me the most...was how they seemed to make a big deal out of Ben being trapped under a tree, and then 30 seconds later he's up and running again and looking just fine. :confused:

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I heard that the fertility issue was caused by Jughead, but that's not 100% confirmed, I think. The Hurley bird was kind of a minor thing that I'm not too bothered by.

I've poked around on some LOST forums and talk about unanswered mysteries seems to be pretty intense, but since we're much more civilized here on SWF, what other mysteries do you think should've been resolved (or perhaps addressed more directly)?

WAAAAAAAAAAAALT

Grandeza

Smash Master
was it ever determined what the lighthouse was for?

also my friend expected desmond to turn into a white smoke monster and fight MiB. I found that pretty hilarious.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure the Lighthouse was just for Jacob to observe potential candidates. Now, the mechanics behind that...are beyond me. :)

When the Man in Black floated into the heart of the Island, he turned into the Smoke Monster right away. But we saw that there was a pretty large cave in there (complete with another skeleton inside!). Desmond pretty much failed his mission.

I expected to find a Youtube video mashing together Jack's epic flying punch and Falcon Punch. Haven't seen one yet.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Lol that flying punch was pretty ridiculous, but I loved it in a silly way.
I was a little disappointed that Kate showed up and shot MiB, but I can see why they had her do it too... She tried to shoot him earlier after all.

Very happy that Richard made it on the plane. I mean... After I watched his backstory episode, I wanted him to have a good ending. Lapidus too thank GOD.

I was very satisfied with how the flashsideways went. In fact I think this was very close to being a perfect finale. Leaves plenty of things open to think about and all. I rather enjoyed it.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
Does this cover every unanswered question?
They never explained the Hurley Bird. Or why they can't have
kids.
the "Hurley bird" was probably just in our heads lol

I saw a theory somewhere that suggested the "no kids" policy on the island was tied to Jacob, like how Richard stopped aging until Jacob was finally gone. (I certainly liked this idea) I believe it went on to support this by assuming that it helped simplify the candidate process (Kate being crossed out because she had to take care of Aaron, etc), but then again... that seems like a harsh punishment for losing your candidate status. I guess the smoke monster would also kill them at this point, if he had a chance to. :ohwell:
Become new Jacob or die if one isn't found? (unless you survive until he is..?)

I realize this doesn't explain why it only began to happen at some point after the 1970's and before the 815 crash (September 2004), oh well.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I was talking to someone just now about the Numbers. Enzo Valenzetti was a mathematician that worked to calculate the probability that the human race would kill itself, and when he confirmed that we would, the Dharma Initiative was formed to change the main variables in his equation. They were: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42

What does this answer? A few things, if you look at it. I think S5 would have been stronger to touch on this, considering they joined Dharma and all. It would have strengthened the ultimate themes of destiny and whatnot, I think. Hell, Valenzetti could have actually appeared on the show. Lots of stuff they could've done, and I think the show would've been bettered, not cheapened, to do this.

Just the same, a common question is "why is the button 'the Numbers'? Why isn't it just a button?"

Well, think of the complex mindgames it would allow the technician to play if the hatch was overtaken by the Others (if you don't let me go and leave, we all die, and I do mean we all die). He or she would hold all the cards. So that's a good reason for there to be a password in the first place.

Why the Numbers? Well, gee. If you were part of a scientific team trying to change the equation that predicted the end of the world, what would be easier to remember than the Numbers themselves? The original technician (Radzinsky) definitely knew what was at stake, because he wasn't just some flunkie mopping the floors. He was one of the big Dharma guys, and designed the Swan station itself.

Furthermore, when you consider that Jacob assigned a number to each Candidate (many of which were not one of the Numbers, of course), things take on an interesting context. Who were the last six Candidates? Why bother with their names, how about I tell you their numbers: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42.

I used to think that these numbers were attached to them because of the variables in the VE and blah blah... but if you think about it, doesn't it make sense if these people were the variables themselves?

This list, after all, contains the company of Jack, Locke, Sawyer, and others from the final stretch. These were all flawed, Island-bound people who had the potential to release Smokey, either by siding with him or being tricked by him. In fact, each of them did one of these things by the time all was said and done.

Each one of them was not only a Candidate to replace Jacob, but one of the variables that could have released Smokey. Only one variable, presumably, needed to change. That variable was Jack.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I always assumed the bird was just more Dharma animal engineering. Like the sharks and bears.

Nice write-up EE.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Spot on, EE. The numbers were such an intergral part of Dharma's main mission that I feel it was a disservice that it wasn't explained more, but at the same time, you get stuff like the whispers: "So, the whispers are souls trapped here?" "Yeah."

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I always assumed the bird was just more Dharma animal engineering. Like the sharks and bears.

Nice write-up EE.
We knew about the bird before we'd even heard about Jacob. I've always assumed that the bird was some sort of warning to Hurley, like it was Hurley's destiny to reach that Island and do something important. It seems far too magical for Dharma.

Looks like we'll have to wait until someone asks the writters.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
I like to think the Hurley bird was just a bird he taught to say his name back in the 70's at some point off camera :p

Top Bottom