• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of anti-ledge camping moves:

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Because of the recent should planking be banned thread I thought it might help people to know appropriate methods to deal with planking. This is basically going to be a list noting the attacks each character has that can deal with a ledge camper. Please contribute methods you know for each character and I will update the original post with them.

I am only putting crude explanations, so if you do not understand how to use X move to beat ledge stalling simply ask.

It is also important to note that simple things like edge hugging can be effective given the right situation. If your character has a good recovery don't be afraid to jump off the stage and go for a stage spike.

This is a thread for dealing with ledge camping, not complaining about it. Posts saying "omg it needs teh b banned" get reported.

GREEN = characters with good options
YELLOW = characters with mediocre to bad options
RED = characters with bad options
**character colors were determined by me and are most likely highly biased as of right now

? after a move = Has not been convinvingly argued as much as it has just been mentioned. Probable not viable, but could be.

* Bowser
1.fire
2. bowser bomb edgehog?

* Captain Falcon
1. down taunt
2. utilt

* Charizard
1. fire
2. downb

* Donkey Kong
1.edge hug>drop>upb
2. bair stage spike
3. fsmash
4. dsmash

* Diddy Kong
1. Arc peanuts over the ledge
2. Dthrow bananas

* Fox
1.shine
2.tip of the drill?

* Falco
1. edge hog> drop>jump>rising dair
2.run off bair for a stage spike
3. angled ftilt?
4. dair into ground?
5. phantasm with feet thru floor?

* Ganondorf
1. dair
2. jump off and b-reverse a side b. Suicide move and risky, but if your desperate why not.
3. utilt?! LOL

* Ice Climbers
1. ice blocks
2. blizzard

* Ivysaur
1. razor leaf
2.down B
3. bair? (jump>bair>second jump back to stage?)
4. instant tether

* Ike
1. Fsmash? (Give them no sympathy)

*Jigglypuff
1. falling pound
2. Your recovery is safe, go hit them. (fair, nair, dair)

* King Dedede
1. dair
2. Your recovery is safe, go for a stage spike
3. swallow(cide)

* Kirby

1. stone move (down b)
2. Your recovery is safe, go for a stage spike.
3. swallow(cide)
4. tip of the dair?

* Link
1. bombs
2.boomerang
3.arrows
4.dair?

* Lucas
1.pk thunder
2. pk freeze

* Lucario
1.dair
2.fsmash
3.dtilt?

* Luigi

* Mario
1. fireballs
2. use FLUDD to push them back, sets up for an edge hug or attack
3. cape

* Marth
1. counter (down b)
2. dtilt

* Mr. Game & Watch
1. up b
2. You are floaty, have ranged aerials, and a good up b. Jump off the stage and hit them.

* Meta Knight
1. You're metaknight, jump off the stage and hit them.

* Ness
1. pk thunder
2. pk fire
3. yo-yo? (spikes?)

* Peach
1.turnips

* Pikachu
1. thunderjolt
2. thunder

* Olimar
1. fsmash (non purple?)
2. grab

* Pit
1. arrows

* R.O.B.
1. laser
2. gyro
3. bair or nair??

* Samus
1. missles
2. zair

* Sheik
1.chain
2.needles

*Snake
1.nades
2.c4
3.nikita

* Sonic
1.drop springs on top of them
2. run off and bair

* Squirtle
1. water gun to position them for an attack (dair is your best option?)
2.downB
3.upB?

* Toon Link
1. bombs
2. boomerangs
3.phantom hit dair (on stage)
4. jump off and go for a fair/nair/bair stage spike

* Wario
1. bike/pieces

* Wolf
1.shine

* Yoshi
1.eggs
2.double jump super armor
3. yoshi bomb edge hog

*Zero Suit Samus
1. suit pieces
2.dsmash to stage spike

* Zelda
1. dins fire

Volts

Smash Cadet
oops lol. Added it.

@ above, idk would they? I don't play charizard or bowser that is why I am asking the community.
I don't know either, was hoping for some one else to elaborate on that. Either in a "yes that would" or "No it wouldn't, noob" format.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Snakes Nair seems to work on the 4 top ledges on norfair so I guess it works on regular ledges too but creates a risky situation...

bobson

Smash Lord
Yoshi can use eggs or just use his double jump's heavy armor, Wario can use his bike/bike parts, Samus can use bombs and maybe homing missiles, the Links can also use arrows and boomerangs, Kirby can use Stone, Ike can use counter or possibly fsmash, Olimar can throw Pikmin or tether edgehog, ZSS can tether edgehog or use armor pieces, Mario can use fireballs, Charizard can use rock smash or aerial flamethrower, Ivysaur can tether edgehog and I think hit with razor leaf, Wolf can shine through it, Captain Falcon can use Falcon Punch, Bowser can use aerial flames or possibly a Bowser Bomb edgehog, and anyone with super armor/invincibility frames on an attack can go through it.

Edit: Snake can also use Nikitas.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
To me tether edge hogging seems like it would be too dangerous because you could get gimped, but I don't really have experience with it. So, if anyone else wants to comment on that it would help.

Added most of your other stuff.

you cant not beat mks planking its just too good
gtfo Mr. I Use Double Negatives

bobson

Smash Lord
To me tether edge hogging seems like it would be too dangerous because you could get gimped, but I don't really have experience with it. So, if anyone else wants to comment on that it would help.
I know that at least for Olimar you can tether without being below the stage and then instantly retract to the edge for invincibility, which is a fairly safe maneuver.

Also, Game & Watch has ridiculous invincibility frames on his up-B, so that works, too.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Olimar can also forward smash, up smash with yellow, or run to the other end of stage and take time to pick out 6 purples or whatever combination of pikmin is needed.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Alright everyone has at least one safe method except fox, falco, falcon, squirtle, luigi, and, ganon. If you know anything with those characters post it first, otherwise keep it coming.

B!squick

Smash Master
Can't Fox shine as well? And if I was playing Ganondorf and being planked, I'd take it as a compliment. No anti-plank method required.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Link/TL arrows.

Fox can drill close to the edge, and sometimes tip the opponent. It works sometimes.
Kirby can also do that drill.

If a stock up, run off stage > b-reverse side-B > drag them to their death with you (Ganon)

Works with Falcon as well.

But if you mis time it, you're dead.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Snake's dtilt/utilt both can hit a planking MK when spaced right because their hitboxes extend slightly downwards

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
is luigis down taunt practical at all? I am leaving it off for now. Added side-b suicide for ganon/falcon and shine and drill tip for fox.

I also added dair for ganon. Even if it clashes they will die and you can live.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Snake cannot use C4 (depending on usage, of course), mortars, or tilts to effectively stop ledge camping that is performed correctly. His most realistic options are nades and nikita.

Denzi

Smash Master
Falco:
When near the ledge, you can SH and start a Dair right before you hit the ground to spike them.
Downward angled forward tilt.
Go off of the stage and Phantasm back on in such a way that Falco's feet pass through the stage. This can spike.
Pivot walking.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
Snake cannot use C4 (depending on usage, of course), mortars, or tilts to effectively stop ledge camping that is performed correctly. His most realistic options are nades and nikita.
Why wouldn't mortars work? And c4 probably isn't the best option, but you can jump drop it and explode it in mid air so it is staying on there. Tilts idk about. I went off of what that other post said, but I had my doubts when I read it. I'll take them off for now.

I'm pretty sure that Bowser and Charizards Fire doesn't work until they have very very very little fire breath left.
Can anyone confirm or argue this?

Falco:

Go off of the stage and Phantasm back on in such a way that Falco's feet pass through the stage. This can spike.
can you explain this?

Denzi

Smash Master
You can also add a Dtilt to Ike's list since it's a spike, and Marth can (kind of) use repeated Dtilts.

XienZo

Smash Lord
Why wouldn't mortars work? And c4 probably isn't the best option, but you can jump drop it and explode it in mid air so it is staying on there. Tilts idk about. I went off of what that other post said, but I had my doubts when I read it. I'll take them off for now.
Its probably far too predictable for a MK who only needs to concentrate on hitting up or down on the control stick.

I suppose the MK could also shuttle loop/aerial you if you mortar or C4 from too close.

TP

Smash Master
Ganon's Utilt.

No, seriously. It hits well below the edge and has enough range that you won't get punished if you know how to space it. Much more effective than Ganon's Dair.

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
for c4 you could go as far us doing an up b and then dropping it on them. And with mortars you can charge them differently and things. It may be predictable, but it drops right by the edge, which keeps metaknight off of it, which is the ultimate goal.

O and I tested bowsers fire and it works.

Linkwearsgreen

Smash Journeyman
Link can use dair and bair to sometimes stage spike...

Toon Link uses bair nair and fair. Oh, he also can get a phantom hit with dair used onstage.

kATAlyst

Smash Apprentice
zss' down b is usually not used to punish ledgecamping; depending on the range and character, offstage edgeguards or dsmash work better. and the down b is a spike by itself and doesnt need the stage. bair stage spikes, and both can be done out of a dsmash.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Is there some reason the space animals' lasers won't work?

I mean, obviously they have zero or nearly zero knockback, but if there's any window at all you'll start to put on damage, and you can do this from well outside a planker's range, so they'll be disinclined to continue stalling as you nickel-and-dime them...

(Unless I completely misunderstand the thread? ^_^;; )

Linkwearsgreen

Smash Journeyman
For Link's dair. Just double jump and start the dair at the top. By the time he is done with the move, you will still have time to up b to the edge.

For bair. It's a quick, multihit move. Link can get back to the stage easily.

B!squick

Smash Master
The problem with mortars is that you need to be near the ledge to get them to arc and drop. While you're trying to do this MK attacks you, widens the percent gap, and would easily avoid the mortar at any rate. C4 would be very effective though if you set it up near the ledge before hand, leaving you with only one side of the stage to deal with. Trying to do it after the fact would be a pain.

EDIT:
Is there some reason the space animals' lasers won't work?

I mean, obviously they have zero or nearly zero knockback, but if there's any window at all you'll start to put on damage, and you can do this from well outside a planker's range, so they'll be disinclined to continue stalling as you nickel-and-dime them...

(Unless I completely misunderstand the thread? ^_^;; )
The lasers wont hit if you're on stage and they're not. If you try to go off stage and blast from there, it's a free gimp.

XienZo

Smash Lord
For Link's dair. Just double jump and start the dair at the top. By the time he is done with the move, you will still have time to up b to the edge.

For bair. It's a quick, multihit move. Link can get back to the stage easily.
What if MK just drops off the ledge and then dair or shuttle loops you?

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
zss' down b is usually not used to punish ledgecamping; depending on the range and character, offstage edgeguards or dsmash work better. and the down b is a spike by itself and doesnt need the stage. bair stage spikes, and both can be done out of a dsmash.
Side b works pretty well too if spaced correctly

Top Bottom