• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

Octave

Smash Ace
The boomerang catch animation can be canceling by the shield, and thus by the grab. Just a fun fact. I think it can also get cancelled by special moves (spin, another boomerang, etc).
Ooh, that is useful.

Btw, I heard you're going to MM this saturday. I'm also going. Care to give a noob some pointers? :D

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Skler, so if ur on the ground, the shield will cancl it so u can instantly jab? jus wanna kno if I read that right. I try and stay aerial a lot, so I get messed up by the grab ani in the air

Btw, our recording guy kinda messed up our vids, thays why u haven't posted them. But this sun is my bday,so bfo I go out, we're gonna try n get a lot recorded

cjugs

Smash Ace
^I think he meant that if you shield you will have the shield animation rather than the boomerang catch animation, so not a super useful thing, jab will also cancel if timed right.

IYM!

Smash Lord
all move can cancell the boomerang, exept jump

you have to make sure to dont be standing or jumping when the bpoomerang returns, if yu are jumping and the boomerang comes to you, just do fast fall or nair or whatever

is easy skip the boomerang catch animation

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Well you should always know exactly where ur rang is, the only positive side to catching ur rang is that u can use it right away

Just read my first post to start this thread, since then I have beatin anther's pika, juggleguy's falcon and duck's samus but have gotten my *** handed to me by moose's falco and lain's fox. But with our up coming tourney on the 5th, ima have time to change that

Just got a new mario and a falcon/sheik main in our weekly smashfest, so ima get those sets uploaded so I can get critiqued

Octave

Smash Ace
What do you guys think about this:

You're at a high %, the opponent is about to kill you. You have a bomb out, but there's no time to throw it at them. What do you do? Throw it at your feet, crouch cancel the explosion, and immediately tech, giving you invincibility frames thus them missing their move.

You can tech it at around 40% and you no longer hit the ground from the knockback around 170%. Though it's probably more effective to just buffer roll or spot dodge. I was just ****ing around and came across it.

Opinions?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
interesting idea. It's nice because you can z-drop the bomb so quickly, so if you train yourself to do this as a last resort it can possibly be pretty practical. Even if you do not dodge the attack, you can still hope for the bomb to be hit too letting you tech the bomb's explosion. I actually had a fluke once and used a bomb to nullify a successful rest.

Skler

Smash Master
I ended up missing MM, but I plan on going to the CT tourny in two weeks. I really want the tourny I go to to have teams now that I don't have much time to make it to tournies anymore.

I usually just shield if I think they'll kill me. Any throw is less likely to kill you than a normal hit and the time they'll take doing a combo should be enough for you to escape via bombsplosion. Since most combos involve the air you can probably get your 1 frame bomb drop out too.

Generally holding the bomb and trying to shield is safer. A lot of kill moves force your bomb to drop (and thus explode on your attacker and yourself) so tossing the bomb is generally a bad idea unless you're sure of an escape.

I do sometimes throw bombs at people and do a laggy or poorly spaced attack if I see it coming down where I'll land. Just never plan on a bomb saving your stocks or anything like that. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Side note: Mario is effing weird to play against. The matches also take forever.

Edit: Are you all sure every move can cancel that animation? I think B moves can do it (hence the standing boomerang spam being awesome) but all of his A moves can too? Maybe I'll just check on my copy of melee!

IYM!

Smash Lord
hey guys, some one here can give me a counsil

what is the best form to use the Usmash?
How i can conect all the hits in a opponent?
How much powerfull is that move? i rarely use it, so i dont know which are they kill percentajes

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Skler, what is your opinion on the best way to handle the mario match up? Believe it or not, I have a Sheik player that counterpicks Mario against me because I'm having THAT much trouble with dealing with his running around b-airing me and my recovery. P.S. I already read the match up summery vs Mario/Doc in your guide. You act like you recently got some good matches vs a Mario, so I just wanted your opnion. ^_^

@IYM! I'm probably not the best person to answer this as I tend to not pay attention to specifics too much in melee (mostly what I do comes from muscle memory) but iirc u-smash is occasionally used OoS, but not too often. Also I think you can u-smash people that are stuck on a platform, but in most situations, u-tilt is better.

Skler

Smash Master
Mario is fairly simple once you get down to it, it's just that the match takes a long time and requires a lot of precise spacing. I jab a lot against Mario since it can beat his aerials when at the correct height. If he goes high for his dair (and lots of Marios seem to do that) you can just uair, utilt or back away from it.

Grabbing against Mario isn't too bad if he's bair spamming a lot, just make sure you know how to judge when he's bair -> wavelanding and when he's going to land near you. Grab at his landing position and yay, free damage!

Don't try to spam him since his fireballs can be used faster than your projectiles. Throw your own projectiles as control, not as damage builders. If he's a spammer you can hop in with the nair because the nair is just that awesome.

His edgeguarding is good, but you can recover low against it or try to evade him (I suggest recovering low if he's going off stage a lot). This won't work on a bunch of stages, but you're screwed anyways there. If you hookshot low you can walltech whatever move he uses and still recover. If you upB he'll have at least some trouble getting past it to bair you.

You can't combo him well, but he's not the most mobile character once he's in the air and is thus susceptible to uair juggles. Bombs also prevent him from reaching the ground as quickly as he'd like. If you can pop him into the air you can beat him fairly easily, but if you can't the match will be a long slog where you do damage via the odd bomb and jab that connect while he tries to get close.

He can CG you, he can combo you out of throws effectively (especially the dthrow fsmash, DO NOT DI HIS DTHROW) and he can get grabs or multiple hits off of the vast majority of his moves. The only things Link has going for him is superior range, but that means a lot since Mario has a hard time dealing with it.

Try to pick a stage like FoD against Mario. If he bans that you should just choose your personal preference while keeping in mind that he can edgeguard the crap out of you if it doesn't have a spot where you can hookshot low.

That post got a lot longer than I thought it'd be.

Usmash: Good OOS, useful to hit through platforms you couldn't otherwise hit through. Otherwise it is a move that shouldn't be used. If I use the usmash and am not doing it OOS or when my opponent is on a platform above me it is because I made a mistake. I guess it can sometimes be useful against a quickly descending opponent when you didn't have time to utilt, but that's quite a corner case since it only hits directly above link slightly faster than the utilt.

Octave

Smash Ace
I ended up missing MM, but I plan on going to the CT tourny in two weeks. I really want the tourny I go to to have teams now that I don't have much time to make it to tournies anymore.
Hall of Gaming? I'll be at that one too. MM was the bee's knees, man. The chinese place next door was ****ing epiclyexpensive.

What does one do as Link against Falco?

IYM!

Smash Lord
Octave@:

Gimp hm to all cost, his recovery is bad,Use the Semispike hit of the spin attack, it always work (if you have the american version) so off stage you will be have an adventage. Just be careful with his SideB and Dair

on Stage, he can take the control with his lasers at long distance, and with his fast moves at low distances.

Nair is a good move in this MU, this have a lot of priority , and can stop almost all attacks of Falco, so use it well,

this is the only tips than i can give you, so sorry if isnt enough :(

Octave

Smash Ace
That sounds a lot like what I feel every other MU is. Nair stops everything, gimp with upB, don't get caught in shield, etc.

I think I have a problem with the bird in general, not just with Link. :glare:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
So I've been kinda getting back into Melee, playing as Link obviously (who else). And yeah I generally close in and use projectiles, but DSmash is too good.

Also, that's a legit flowchart, if you ask me.

Skler

Smash Master
Flowcharts are the one Truth in this world. If there's a task that can't be broken down into flowchart form it isn't worth doing.

The Dsmash is a pretty solid move, I just wish it had a better trajectory. As is everyone just DIs away and I can't move my little boots fast enough to catch them.

Also I've clearly only played one Falco ever.

Skler

Smash Master
I totally missed your post! Samus and Peach are generally just spamming and spacing since neither of them deal with your projectiles particularly well. Peach is tougher since you need to stay close enough to prevent her turnip pulls and she does shield pressure way better than Samus.

Link probably has an advantage vs Samus.

As far as Marth goes, I wouldn't call it close to even. Once Marth gets good spacing on you it's incredibly difficult to leave his range. It really depends on the playstyle of the Marth in my experience.

Octave

Smash Ace
I generally have an easy time against Samus - simply crouching blocks every projectile she might through at you.

Fun fact: Link's shield will absorb Ness' neutral B (PK Flash) if the center of it is in front of the shield. Happened by accident the other day and thought it was pretty interesting :3

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Flowcharts are the one Truth in this world. If there's a task that can't be broken down into flowchart form it isn't worth doing.

The Dsmash is a pretty solid move, I just wish it had a better trajectory. As is everyone just DIs away and I can't move my little boots fast enough to catch them.

Also I've clearly only played one Falco ever.
Clearly you have.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I think I've played Skler twice in my entire life, I really fail to see how I'm relevant at all. For whatever it's worth, I believe we're 1-1. And that flowchart is pretty correct as far as I can tell regarding the matchup. Link's only way to actually put in work vs. Falco seems to be with the Nair from above. He seems to get ***** from every other angle.

Skler

Smash Master
Mogwai is correct; We played twice and went 1-1 overall.

Other than that I'm 99% sure you're trolling, yo.

Edit: I love Mogwai's sig

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
got some vids, they were all just friendlies and we were sittin there talkin n became lil UTI too, so dont judge too hard but i do need advice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ki5_PFt3sM link vs mario

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2G6thgQ_0
1:16-went down to sweetspot, clearly didnt work
1:53-i should've known he was gonna dtilt cuz he does it all the time, i just wanted a bomb ;-)
3:01-suppose to be a jab grab, am i taking to long to zgrab n thats why im ftiliting sometime or is it bcuz im pressing it too soon?

Skler

Smash Master
I don't mean to sound rude, but it's hard to judge because your opponents are not at your level. It's friendlies so maybe everyone was just dinking around, but you clearly outplayed them by a long shot.

You have a solid understanding of your character whereas your opponents don't seem to have an intuitive understanding of either your character's or their character's strengths and weaknesses.

It just looks like you're outplaying them and doing so in the right fashion. The only advice I could give is become less offensive, but judging by your opponents your playstyle is what is more fun.

It's really hard not to come off as a **** by saying that, but it's what I think you need to do. If you can post some vids of you losing or matches that are clearly pushing your limits I could give you advice.

Tl;Dr version: You're better than your opponent and that makes it difficult to tell where you need to improve. Also, sorry for sounding like a ****.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I totally missed your post! Samus and Peach are generally just spamming and spacing since neither of them deal with your projectiles particularly well. Peach is tougher since you need to stay close enough to prevent her turnip pulls and she does shield pressure way better than Samus.

Link probably has an advantage vs Samus.

As far as Marth goes, I wouldn't call it close to even. Once Marth gets good spacing on you it's incredibly difficult to leave his range. It really depends on the playstyle of the Marth in my experience.
if the marth is really agressive or really timid it works well. but if he plays smart and dodges about its harder
thanks tho!

Top Bottom