• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Skler-thanks, i dont think u sounded like a ****. Tellin me u cant give me advice bcuz my opponents suck. I have noone to really play against on my side of the state, so i really can only play to my opponents skill lvl. But ima try n get sum more legit ones up after next tuesdays smashfest

Skler

Smash Master
Link can tech chase spacies, but it's only really effective near the edge (hint: they will not tech towards the edge). If you miss it's...well it's really bad. I usually just guess at where they'll go and do an fsmash. I'd rather do 25% with a launch then risk missing a grab 4 times in a row to do 25% and have a uthrow.

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
if you dont have good opponents you can teach they how to play well, Dablackpacman.

But, try to dont teach they how to play agains you, tell they how to play well in Smash in general
he does.....we call him smashpedia because he always knows what to say for people to get better. They just dont listen to him (He ALWAYS seems to know what hes talking about and has help my tech chasing game more then i realized). hes the reason my mario is so pro

lol its hard for me to tell him what hes doing wrong because he always knows what hes doing wrong. When we go Mario vs link the only reason i win is because he gets overly agressive so all i have to do is sheild grab him

Its like he tries way to hard on his techs(which are amazing plus he doesnt have the game). I can only leave to the imagination what type of rediculas combos he gets off on me when hes on point.

50/50 pacman........50/50

shout outs to the best link in MI and soon the world craig.......the world

cjugs

Smash Ace
got some vids, they were all just friendlies and we were sittin there talkin n became lil UTI too, so dont judge too hard but i do need advice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ki5_PFt3sM link vs mario

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs2G6thgQ_0
1:16-went down to sweetspot, clearly didnt work
1:53-i should've known he was gonna dtilt cuz he does it all the time, i just wanted a bomb ;-)
3:01-suppose to be a jab grab, am i taking to long to zgrab n thats why im ftiliting sometime or is it bcuz im pressing it too soon?
i'm just talking about the marth on battle field.
1.fall below the stage if you wanna grab a bomb or waveland off so you don't eat a bair or fair.
19. i hope you meant to uptilt.
22. crouch cancel and than grab him if he's dumb enough to dj dair you at 0
24. i like to jump back and grab bombs.
31. almost **** dj dair would have been mad legit.
32. jump or run away would have been a better option a better marth would have grabed you after the spotdodge.
36. ftilt or fair would be safer but that's just ne
1:24. use a better move to punish that with if you are already anticipating it coming.
1:29 fair would have been sweeeeeet.
1:52 prolly already know this but never do that again i like to hit Y and just work with it or waveland on and shield idk works for me.
2:02 i can't believe he didn't run up and grab you after.
2:39 i noticed you hesitated because you had a bomb in your hand next time try to wavedash oos jump let the fuse hit him and than dj dair easier said than done i know.
3:08 just keep upairing marth had no option other than DI
3:20 kind of walked into that.
I'm in agreement with everybody else that you are more comfortable with link than they are with everyone else. When i find myself against people i could literally just overwhelm with moves try to use it as a time to better hone your link.
1. there were lots of times he should have SGed you so try to be better with spacing whether it's out of his range dj after a bair or nair or being behind him.
2. try to be more mobile while throwing and pulling bombs and rangs i mean jump back everytime if you can or drop below a platform.
you predicted correctly several times but used moves that wouldn't help that much one time you jumped on a plat to strongthrow boomerang you got the prediction but used a odd counter.
3. you had him going in a up air juggle don't give that up make him get out of him they will usually take alot of damage and be agressive after that idk why.
4.don't be so agressive even when the people you are playing are where you can just do moves and win you only won by 1 stock when you should have won by 4 you gave him several opportunities to beat you do limit them. alot of people like to dash dance and wait for a grab opportunity like after you run and whiff at them doesn't get much easier to get a grab than that.
Sorry that was alot of reading but i think you need alot more advice when you play alot with people who aren't as good so you don't get mollywoped by good people
"Mollywoped" (my new favorite word) *giggle
Mollywoped- the pwning and or destruction of your opponent

(Mal-ee-wap-ed)
Ruby you were quick to disproof of the falco chart when i failed to see yours :p

Skler

Smash Master
Mario's fair is only good if...

Yeah it's pretty not good. When it hits it's awesome but holy crap is it slow. It's the Link dtilt of aerials.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
So the Project M demo comes out today.. And it has Link.

I'd like to get some feedback from people. Some of the feedback used to develop the character came from Skler via Strong_Bad, so hopefully most people enjoy the character.

(And before people ask, tether being Brawl-esque is a coding limitation, not a design choice.)

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Marios fair can be DIed easily and poses hardly any threat since its so slow and so easy to wd back and forward smash.

THAT'S THE ANSWER TO MARIO:
WD BACK
FORWARD SMASH

or swordspin. or rang
or bomb. or jab
or whatever. Mario is easily spaced.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
I dont know why i thought we were talkn bout his nair for. Fair is only legit for comboing, but it is slow n a WD back (or moonwalk if u fancy) grab

So i took 17th at the tourney n soul got 13th. We both got mad luv from everyone tho no homo n got 7th in teams. Skler wats the next tourney yall goin to so we can meet n wheres the vids?

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
Now, to answer Shadic's question about P:M Link:

First of all: Really nice work in recreating Melee Link, I especially like the new FTilt which can get really in handy for spacing, other than edgeguarding. The bow received a large buff too because of the trajectory and quick execution times, you can even throw a bomb and shoot an arrow in a single short hop.
(Oh, and the Melee Nair too of course :p)

However, there were some things that bothered me. The new aerial glide toss bomb recovery just feels a bit odd to execute, but that's just me I guess lol. It's just too bad that the Brawl hookshot sucks for recoveries, it could really get in handy to mixup Link's recovery, oh well...
Also, the Up-B hitbox could possibly benefit from a slightly increased hitbox (if it's possible to program), it's relatively short and can be a bit tricky to combo something into it. I don't know how it would affect the game's balance however, so I'm not quite sure about this one.

I would like to hear some other opinions though, and see what others say about him.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
However, there were some things that bothered me. The new aerial glide toss bomb recovery just feels a bit odd to execute, but that's just me I guess lol. It's just too bad that the Brawl hookshot sucks for recoveries, it could really get in handy to mixup Link's recovery, oh well...
Also, the Up-B hitbox could possibly benefit from a slightly increased hitbox (if it's possible to program), it's relatively short and can be a bit tricky to combo something into it. I don't know how it would affect the game's balance however, so I'm not quite sure about this one.
The AGT is a bit awkward at first, but I think it's generally easier to execute than bomb jumping was in Melee. My tech-skill isn't the best, but I was able to learn the timing of it pretty quickly. We'll see later on how easy it is to intercept though. (Screw Sheik :glare:)

And once we figure out how to restore the Melee hookshot, it will happen. For now though, we're stuck with it how it is. :c

For the UpB, are you talking Grounded or Aerial? I spent a bit of time in the last few days before the demo trying to tweak the ground UpB hitboxes to cover Link as well as they did in Melee, but it's not quite perfect. I'm pretty sure the horizontal range is also a tad worse, but hopefully Link's other options more than make up for that nerf.

Glad to see that you're mostly enjoying him though! :) I'm curious as to how many ways people will be able to take advantage of the improved moves like Up-Smash actually connecting, and the slight speed up on the tilts.

Also his Dsmash should be a bit easier to combo from. ;) Its angle is 5 degrees higher than it was in Melee. (Good suggestion Skler)

-tRiNiTy-

Smash Apprentice
Uhm yes, I meant the grounded Up-B. Meh, those were just some minor complaints anyway.
I think I could write a few large paragraphs about the things that I like about the new Link, so I should rather be thankful. :D

Hmm now that you mention the DSmash, it's true that I have a much easier time connecting it after a dash attack f. ex., at first I thought my CPUs forgot how to DI haha :p

Cool suggestion I guess then ^^

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I really really love the new boomerang. I figured the animation would look absolutely butchered without the to tornado, but it looks really great and i combos better than in Melee. Link also appreciates the DACUS and being able to use zair as an attack. I have yet to play people in P:M though.

One thing that I know is different from Melee is that when you throw a bomb into another bomb, both bombs explode. In Melee, the bombs collide and take on new trajectories.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Yeah, we weren't able to replicate how Melee bombs work exactly, unfortunately. It's something we'd like to fix eventually but is proving quite difficult.

Glad you like the boomerang. Also the endlag on Dash Attack was brought down a few frames, so you can follow up out of it a bit easier, and not get punished for hitting with it at lower percentages. :p

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Ay, how do you edge guard jiggz on teams when shes below the stage. Me n soul played shaeden n velynn n i feel like we culdve done a lot or evn had beatn them if i knew how to edge guard her better then holdn the ledge n bair

Skler

Smash Master
I throw bombs at her until one hits, then you nair/dair/spin/something depending on height. Just jumping out usually results in getting hit yourself.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
What is everyone's favorite way to punish jiggs for missing a rest? I've been ****ing around looking for the best kill move and the best way to net % damage. At 10% or less, you can land both hits of f-smash for about 34% (when fresh), but otherwise I found bomb dropping to d-air does the most (24%) and also kills Jiggs 75% on FD.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
bomb dair. jab is actually my new way to punish

need advice in teams or some kind of critique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0JBb4LWCHg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K56baHdqwPE

Top Bottom