• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

Skler

Smash Master
It cancels Link's helpless falling animation, but not at the very start of it. It's pretty weird and you need to mess around with it yourself to really understand it. I'm sure Magus could Magus all over it and figure it out.

Just *Magus* say his name *Magus* enough and he'll show up.

Magus.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
A friend of mine told me to introduce myself on the Link boards. If this is the social thread, hi, I'm me, my name's based on a pun in a dead language, and I've been Linking it up since fall '10. If this isn't the social thread, I'll head over to the Peach boards and see if it'll turnip there.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
You know what I'm tired of seeing? All these videos of good Links and in every one of them, Link loses! Why can Axe and Taj make their mains look viable, but none of us seem to get too far? >.<

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Link's just slow, so he isn't as flashy fast as Axe and Link isn't super low tier, so people are more likely to know the matchup than against Taj. At least that's the vibe I've been getting.
Assuming that wasn't rhetorical.
As for the rang thang, I tried ranging and immediately upbing, but it just whizzed by me. I then tried it with different timing, but the rang kept missing me by a mile. I then tried it with an airdodge, but the same thing happened again. Am I doing something wrong, do I have the wrong version, are these the wrong circumstances, or am I just being dense?

Skler

Smash Master
It's really hard to do. Took me a while to find a way to do it with Young Link that makes it useful.

There's no way to do it in a useful way with Link that I've found, but you can do it.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I found vids of Germ to make me feel better. i_i Skler, what version of Melee are you using? I have yet to get this to work once either.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
v1.00, the infamous, the masterful

oh did you want someone to look into boomerang canceling the helpless state?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I was using the same version with Link's super jump and Bowser's flame cancel. The first one or whatever.
I would not doubt if it was taken out then in later versions. Somehow or another, I ended up with every version, but my v1.0 does not work anymore. :(

But I did want to talk about something that could have potential. Light Shielding. Light Shield's usefulness seems really character dependent. The biggest use of light shielding I see is to escape shield pressure if you're a character with bad traction.

With Link though, I think it has potential if can force your opponent to hit your shield early. Because the light shield is so huge, your opponent will hit the shield earlier than normal. By doing this, Link's shield stun should end earlier and Link can then grab his opponent, even if the opponent L-cancels. The greatest part is that the distance Link slides won't matter so much cause his grab range is the boss. :p I haven't yet got to test this strategy, but I think it's a good idea to look into.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Shouldn't he be able to shoot lazorz from his sword? Shouldn't he have a better shield than anyone else because HE HAS A SHIELD? Shouldn't he have bombchus? Shouldn't he have the mirror shield? Shouldn't he have ice arrows? Shouldn't he have light arrows? Shouldn't Link with the Goron tunic have resistance to fire? Shouldn't he have shoes which allow him to walk on air for short periods of time? Shouldn't YL be able to go one minute into the future with the OoT? Shouldn't YL be able to turn into a tiny little spinny scrub, a goron, and a guitar-playing kung-fu fish? Shouldn't Link be able to heal, shield, jump ridiculous distances, teleport, and release a wall of fire?
Every time I think about what they should've given the second most popular gaming character in video gaming, I start to go a little crazy. Link deserves to be a lot higher on the tier list. Mario should be the Mario, but Link should be the most BAMFest member of the cast, right in there with M2, who should have a grab range similar to Link's, the dorf, who should be able to turn into a trident-chucking pig monster and should have actual ranged attacks and Mario, whose dair should be rediculously powerful because he kills everything by jumping on them. All four of them have really powerful abilities which, for whatever reason, they chose not to use. Falco's pro in an arwing, but does he ever fly one in ssbm? Why should jiggs be able to, for all intents and purposes, fly when Samus has freaking jump boots? Link's already got a lame-a** triforce; why should he be made any worse?
Grrrrrr...
They told me Link was Middle/Low tier! I'll show them! I'LL SHOW THEM ALL!!!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Bully.

Skler

Smash Master
v1.00, the infamous, the masterful

oh did you want someone to look into boomerang canceling the helpless state?
Yes. I know it does it in v1, but I don't know about the others.

Light shielding is situational. It gets you out of pillars, but you have increased shield stun when you light shield so I doubt you can grab people after light shielding their attacks. If it ever gives you a frame advantage that would be awesome.

HappySun

Smash Rookie
Not really positive about this and I'm not a Link main or anything but I heard that the boomerang cancel only works in the first version of the game.

Edit: Oh hahaha nvm someone already mentioned that XD

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
In Melee, does (normal / big) Link's down-tilt spike as an edge-guard? I thought it popped them up, and only Young Link's could spike (meteor). But I have a video clip where big link's down-tilt spikes Ganon, so I'm guessing this is 100% normal but I just must have forgotten?

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Sort of. It's complicated. There's a magic sweetspot which I've only hit once because it's a bit awkward. Because of this, I've switched to f-tilt, which covers a lot more area and hits them out, not up like the d-tilt does most of the time. d-tilt is awesome but impractical in my opinion.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
In Melee, does (normal / big) Link's down-tilt spike as an edge-guard? I thought it popped them up, and only Young Link's could spike (meteor). But I have a video clip where big link's down-tilt spikes Ganon, so I'm guessing this is 100% normal but I just must have forgotten?
I can check for sure when i get home next week.

:phone:

Skler

Smash Master
I think all he loses is his spin spike, and that was never useful at high level play anyways because good players don't get hit by it with any consistency at all. It makes him worse in teams though since the spin spike becomes more viable in teams.

All in all, Link's worst matchups get hit harder than he does in PAL. He's more viable because he stands a tiny bit more of a chance against Sheik and Fox. They still run a train on him in either version.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra

The hitboxes that are pointed to meteor.

Skler

Smash Master
The dtilt is a crappy edgeguard even when it meteors. Meteor canceling is really easy, especially with such a slow move.

If it sent them down as fast as Dorf's dair it would be good, but it doesn't. It's just not a good move.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Link does really well in teams, what with the killer upb, the crazy projectiles, and the stock tanking without trying. I've heard that Link teams well with Fox because, well, he's Fox, but I've noticed that Falcon is pretty good to have on one's side too. Seeing as how Ganon and Pikachu have recently been discovered to make a great team, what roles does Link fill in teams and what roles need to be filled by his teammate? Who does he team well with and why?

Skler

Smash Master
Doc is a better teammate for Link due to gimptasticness. Link gets hit, Doc gimps (or fists) the guy who did it. Anyone with a strong KO move and good mobility works well with link. This means pretty much every top tier who isn't Peach or Sheik.

Fox is still the ultimate Link teammate.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
I ended up playing with a Peach and a Shiek, so I agree, though we primarily lost because I play like a rabid pyromaniac helicopter. Still, I never really felt like it worked until I switched to the Dorf. Owies.

Anyone with a strong KO move and good mobility works well with link. This means pretty much every top tier who isn't Peach or Sheik.

Fox is still the ultimate Link teammate.
That sounds like C. Falcon to me, what with the knee and the running speed, but maybe that's just because the Falcon I know best gets high on movement. Plus, he's easy to help out recoverywise, as is Doc. Both of them can also help out Link's recovery (although it doesn't particularly need too much help). I'm not seeing this with Fox as much. His bair and shine and uair and usmash and everything else is certainly good, and he can practically teleport across the screen, but the Falcon's a heavy-hitting speed demon in a lot of ways; he's just a big target who can get comboed too easily (if I'm not being stupid). His arials are not to be ignored, nor is his funkadelic movement. If this is all fair (I must resist) to say, then why is Fox so much better in this instance? I can understand how Fox is better than Falco, Marth, Jiggs, Shiek, Peach and the Dorf, but why is he better than Falcon?

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
That sounds like C. Falcon to me
cough falcon isnt top tier johns johns

although if those are the qualifications then falcon fits the description. the thiing with fox though is that he is faster (attackspeedwise) and can combo in teams better. hes got a better edgeguard, can save his teammate easier, gimps like a mofo, and apparently embarrasses jigglypuffs to an inordinate degree at nationals. but that last one is a bit less relevant.

but maybe that's just because the Falcon I know best gets high on movement
lolyeah

edit: were you saying that fox is a big target who gets comboed easily, or falcon?
both do, but falcon gets hit harder cuz hes so easy to edgeguard once you put him off the stage. plus no shine to combobreak with

Skler

Smash Master
Falcon is worse than Fox is almost every way. The knee is really good, but Fox is just better at killing, not getting killed and doing all the other important teams things. He also has more options while recovering, and is really easy to help (throw a boomerang and he can just phantasm at it or firefox above it to fall into it, Falcon can only upB and pray he'll reach it). Fox delays his recovery a lot better too.

Fox is also a smaller target with better projectile deflecting hitboxes, and Link should be filling the screen with projectiles in teams. Fox maneuvers around your attacks a lot better than Falcon does, and he can also play a really gay defensive game if need be.

I just find Fox to be a lot more versatile. He's good at everything except not getting comboed, and Link is really good at freeing his teammate from combos.

It's also worth mentioning Fox's usmash is a better kill move than the knee on the two most obnoxious teams characters (Puff and Peach). The knee is super good, but a well played Fox is my favorite teammate forever. He doesn't even need to be that well played, he just needs to usmash whoever hits you out of the spin attack.

Man, teams are so much fun. Spam spin attacks all day.

Top Bottom