• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I really don't mind the hair flic thing but I do agree the fairy would be funny to add back in. Also to get on peoples nerves to Taunt cancel it and add in the SFX from OoT "Hey, Listen" would be pretty funny. I think it would be cool though if someone could do custom taunt of him playing an Ocriana or the harp. Like how TL has his Windwaker taunt for the baton.

Overall my opinion on Links Boomerang from 2.1 to 2.5 was reasonable. as much as I like playing Link the boomerang in 2.1 that knock up I agree was a bit much. Maybe you guys could do the cannon thing like how Minus did with his boomerang where the distance of the throw is dependent on how long you hold the B button. Which that is Canon to the Magical Boomerang from Zelda 1. Idk. Just throwing some ideas out.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
We just need to port Melee link's "...eeeehhhhh... ;)" instead of the "...ugh..." like sound he currently makes.

If we bring back the fairy, it better say HEY! and LISTEN! lol

:phone:

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i'm gonna start playing link a bit more and record some videos

because i think link is one of the coolest characters in nintendo's library of characters

also mario, but this is the link boards so there you have it

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
i'm gonna start playing link a bit more and record some videos

because i think link is one of the coolest characters in nintendo's library of characters

also mario, but this is the link boards so there you have it
Please do gimpy. He is really fun to play in 2.5, though I'm sure you already know that.;)

Aside from the few problems link mains in this thread have, he truly feels better than he ever has in smash, and I trust that the missing sword hitboxes and even the hotly debated rang change will see some kind of tweak in the future.

So for now any new link mains are appreciated. Especially people like you who have good people to play against and can record matches. (Please post them in the video thread. I for one would love to see them)

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
let's not get ahead of ourselves, i won't be actually maining link in a game that has a playable bowser haha

but i will play him a bit because he's a cool guy

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
let's not get ahead of ourselves, i won't be actually maining link in a game that has a playable bowser haha

but i will play him a bit because he's a cool guy
Well actually it doesn't seem like you main anyone right now. Bowser mains you but who do you main yourself?

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Tbh link is freaking good compared to the garbage 3 games he's been in. Besides the boomerang his speed buffs and power tweaks and being able to pressure better and better items makes him pretty dangerous.

Of course your going to need a 2 main for such characters if you have a hard time with fox and Falco but at least it's not no 90-10 anymore.

Link can beat the lot of melee top tiers and high tiers such as peach, jiggs, marth, falcon, Shiek....... Ect so I link can win. The only thing I would add in is the vbrawl zair and n64 boomerang and he would be solid high tier or maybe top tier.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Wow I hope not. If Link was Top Tier or High Tier he would be lackluster compared to maining Melee Link. It would take all that "IN YOUR FACE" when you stomp a Marth or Fox away. I mean whats more hard core than maining a lower tier?

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
That's not a good reason I would rather have him playable than just for brags and saying "In your Face" link is better than a low tier atm and he just needs 1 or 2 more tweaks to make him legit.

Link is a easy char to use but hard when your trying play with him competitive b/c there's soo much depth to him since he has a lot of options given to him.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yep, losing all the time but sometimes beating mediocre players no matter how good you are because your character is bad is pretty hard core. (referring to melee link). We aren't aiming to make any character not viable. You should play a character because you either love that character or their playstyle not because they are bad and you have some arbitrary thing to prove.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I was in no way saying that. I have always mained Link even before knowing he sucked. I just hate Top Tier characters but enjoy fighting them. Link is already High Tier that's all he needs to be. He can win against all of the cast and he even destroys a lot of them. He has bad match ups but they are still winnable. Because of his weight he will always get shine ***** by Fox but that's just how it is but now you can at least beat a fox at your same skill level.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Agreed as well, I play Ness cause I love Ness, I dropped the mentality that playing a low tier character well means much awhile ago.

got a question, which role do you guys think Link does better, camping and punishing approaches or agressively spacing (basically defensive vs aggressive playstyles). I'm going to my first monthly tourny, and among other things I'll be showing off my Link.

I ask this 'cause currently I have a very defensive playstyle, involving either holding bombs, or dropping them on the ground/platforms at any time I'm not in immediate pressure (after stock, while retreating, after combo finisher) and using these bombs to either start/extend combos, fill space, and stop any combos on myself (if the miss an attack and hit grounded/platform bomb, or hit me while I'm holding one they go boom). I'm wondering if this will be effective against high level Falco players, who apply pressure from and distance, or against characters like Falcon/Zamus/DK who can just run down these kinds of playing.

I feel as though I play a little too defensive, but I have already gotten used to how I play, and don't really want to change too much unless it really is better to change.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Defensive "campy" to force an approach then do some intricate Link combos to punish them for approaching you. Or until a projectile has a confirmed hit then use it as a combo opener. I guess thats the basics. I would think you would want to keep the bomb setting stuff to the very minimum. High level Falcos will be laser pressuring you so projectile shenanigans wouldn't be very useful. I don't think they would anyway. Thats just my vague opinion but who knows if I am right.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Link is best at zoning Tbh, buttttt your suppose to be going from different styles to make sure your opponent can't read your style b/c if he does it's combo for days for link.

Like for example let's say I'm going into the match a d going to camp to see how my Opponent respond so I'm going to be throwing everything at him. If he starts to get ***** b/c him trying to be aggressive but can't get through he wall barrier I set up most likely he's going to A:Keep charging into the **** or B: play campy as well an more likely that's your key to start to go in a little.

That's when reading comes into play as a link main your whole match is just reading on how he is responding to your style and by mixing it up from defense to zoning to aggressive to passive and using different moves from each style makes link Lethal that it's scary.

I could go on an give an link Guide but it would be tooo long if a post lol but just giving you an idea on how to use different styles in game to confuse/mindgame /Read and win with link.

That's why I think link has the most tools than any char in game from Styles to AT's To options he have them all and he's soo deep and a dept char he is that's it's kinda overwhelming that he has soo much

GMaster171

Smash Ace
So, if what I understand is correct, the best was would be to use the camping game to feel out my opponent? I guess this does make sense, and is much safer than using Link in aggro mode to try the same thing. If camping doesn't work, I'm pretty sure you would still have the space to switch up your playstyle to a more aggressive style.

I guess I'll try this this weekend, I do have a solid camping game imo, but then again I haven't played any human Falcos yet. I'll see how it goes (and have videos up sometime after Saturday, will expect a critique :D )

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Yea, I know that, I stepped away from using CPU's as actual practice awhile ago, I fight them for fun, with odd tactics, or just when practicing some guaranteed combos. This is why I'm concerned about my current tactics, and if they would actually work. I'm trying to keep match-up judgements as far away from CPU battles as possible, the opinions I had on Falco came from watching many Falco mains, and how he approaches, deals with camping and how he deals with pressure.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
Best style with link... All around style. If you do that you will be winning tournaments

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i realize i'm a little late here, but playing a low tier in a game and using it as an excuse to look better when you beat somebody and make it not count as much when you lose is some of the stupidest garbage ever

its your fault for picking a low tier from the start anyway

picking low tiers is a bad idea if you want to actually be good and matter in the community.

dont do it.

take it from somebody who has picked a low tier and actually been good, please don't play low tier characters if you want to be good. lol

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
there is no exception to that rule, playing bad characters is a bad idea.

pikachu when played correctly is not THAT bad of a character

link on the other hand is a very bad character in melee, and bowser was even worse.

i know a bit about placing well as a low tier, and i don't recommend it if you want to make an impact that matters

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
That's pretty good advice.

If you can play a character you enjoy and also can win with it, great... however recognize that if you want to be successful, you will probably have to do what works. In Melee, that was playing at least a solidly good character. In P:M, it very well might be picking up a secondary for your character's bad matchups.

Honestly, I think that this is where this game is going to go for quite a few characters. You'll have characters you can absolutely solo throughout an entire tournament (ex. AE 2012 Fei Long/Cammy/Akuma, etc), or you'll have characters that can reasonably solo through a tournament barring you avoid a certain MU (ex. AE 2012 Zangeif) and then below that, you'll have characters that might have a shot... but it might just be better to have a secondary (ex. AE 2012 Juri).

Link might be one of those characters that can reasonably solo through a tournament barring certain MUs (could imagine Sheik one such character for him). Of course dedicated players will try to plow through those MU's anyway.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I haven't posted in awhile, but I've been practicing a lot for two tournaments coming up and pretty much completely revamped my style coming up with a new unique approach to the character to better fit his changes in 2.5b. I was struggling to keep up for a long while after the patch but I'm starting to feel confident again. Hopefully I can get some videos from these tournaments or maybe you guys will catch me on stream. I plan on getting recording stuff very soon(my camera just broke :/) as well.

Anyone else made progress with their play?

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I haven't posted in awhile, but I've been practicing a lot for two tournaments coming up and pretty much completely revamped my style coming up with a new unique approach to the character to better fit his changes in 2.5b. I was struggling to keep up for a long while after the patch but I'm starting to feel confident again. Hopefully I can get some videos from these tournaments or maybe you guys will catch me on stream. I plan on getting recording stuff very soon(my camera just broke :/) as well.

I just went back to playing like melee Link now, seems to be the best method, it helped out

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice

I made huge strides last friday. I played many hours of back to back matches with a really good melee player who has gotten into PM.

I think what people don't understand about 2.5 pm link is that he isn't slow. Far from it, he is pretty fast. I constantly see him played like melee link. So many more moves are fast and viable. I had people at the smashfest complaining that " Link is unpunishable if space correctly" I disagree, but I was doing really well.

You can be very aggressive. Having a boomerang out, 2 bombs on the ground, one bomb in hand, and waiting for an approach is incredible stage control against a lot of characters.

I feel that link is one of the more well rounded characters against the majority of the cast. That's not including spacees which still kinda **** him.

Also, as a side note, Link's recovery is crazy and very hard to edge guard if you are using all of link's tricks. Everyone needs to look into what you can really do off stage. Watch what Hylian does with AGT, and get better. If you are doing it right you should be able to dodge and space his recovery to make it back from just about anywhere.

Look to melee Link for staying safe and with full hop nairs on shield to double jumps, but look much further for everything else that makes 2.5 link so solid.

I will be posting more videos of my Link to show you guys how fast and safe he can be soon. That first vid was from a couple weeks ago and was a really bad example.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I haven't gotten to try out the new 2.5 yet, but from playing 2.1, I instantly feel in love w/ Link and even tried him in a tournament match even though I never played him before. From 2.1, Link seemed like a top tier/high tier. I'll have to wait & find out how 2.5 Link is, but w/ 3 bombs/boom/and Z(which I never seen Link's do), is soo good for mixups, and he pretty much has the tools to beat any character. His moveset allows for serious hardcore zoning & camping.

Do you Link's even use his Z tether for spacing? It's so good if you don't use it already.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I haven't gotten to try out the new 2.5 yet, but from playing 2.1, I instantly feel in love w/ Link and even tried him in a tournament match even though I never played him before. From 2.1, Link seemed like a top tier/high tier. I'll have to wait & find out how 2.5 Link is, but w/ 3 bombs/boom/and Z(which I never seen Link's do), is soo good for mixups, and he pretty much has the tools to beat any character. His moveset allows for serious hardcore zoning & camping.

Do you Link's even use his Z tether for spacing? It's so good if you don't use it already.
It's good against normal sized characters, but smaller characters are hard to hit with it, they usually make it right under the chain to punish me

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
The claw is the only part of Zaire that has a hitbox, and the hitbox only stays out while the claw is extending outwards. Around the time the claw shot reaches its full length, the hitbox goes away.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I realized compared to melee the aerial up-b has greater handling and a little bit wider hitbox range. Any good combos that lead up to this? % ranges would be really appreciated.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
As a multi-hitting move, it's fairly easy to SDI out before the up+B finisher connects. It's usage is still similar to Melee imo, recovery only. Now TL's Up+B on the other hand, is a completely different story.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
As a multi-hitting move, it's fairly easy to SDI out before the up+B finisher connects. It's usage is still similar to Melee imo, recovery only. Now TL's Up+B on the other hand, is a completely different story.
Yep, his grounded and air Up-B are really good now, Link's air Up-B remains pointless for anything besides recovery from what I can tell

Someone make a perfect port of melee Young Link on TL and I'll get good with him!

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Why is his grounded one so good? Aside from charging it and moving it seems the same as Melee. Also I second that, I like the way YL looks a tad more than TL.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
You can't break out of TL's like you could in Melee. Moving lets you chase after people, cancel it off an edge, etc.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Best style with link... All around style. If you do that you will be winning tournaments

So much friggin this.

Link da bess right now; you just have to know when where and how to use his -entire- kit. And no that doesn't mean just his Bmoves; you can't be giving your opponent center stage just because you want to pull out another bomb. His Amoves and aerials are great in this game; perhaps not as amazing as spacies but they're a huge improvement over Melee and are well worth using. Every move he has is an option first, not a last resort. He has no gimmicks; that's what makes him hard to use.

Link is the exact opposite of a one-trick pony. If a top player dedicated his time and effort to Link, he would have a good shot at winning tournies. The tricky part is that while nothing he does requires a silly amount of techskill, to play him optimally you have to consistently prove that you can use all of his tools optimally.

Top Bottom