• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Yo.
Link is a solid character. He has so much range and his zoning game is incredible. AGT is also a great tech to have under your belt, so learn it.
My issue is that not many players are putting in much work with him. (Yeah, I'm gulty of this , too:() With a little bit more representation in tournies, he'll be a contender.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'm trying to put in work :). Going to start training pretty hard for a chicago tournament in feb.

Skeith

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skeith1
3DS FC
2019-9982-9908
Finally a thread for Link in this :). Hope to see this quite active in the future.

Soldner Kei

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SoldnerKei
Link is pretty solid, is a good character with good tools, only match up that I think he has trouble is with spacies and sheik, not unwinneable but I have a bad time when they get in my face... I miss dsmash while holding bomb in 2.5 thou :(

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah spacies and sheik aren't fun :/.

monkeyx4

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3936 9382 6790
What Happen to the other threads >.> all that info all of us put in gone....

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Looks like the forums on smashmods were closed. Shame.

We know you're putting in work Hylian:bee:. Good luck with your tournament!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I don't think they've been officially closed, pages for Pit onwards are still active.
Anyways, I think in general Link has issues when he gets pressured, doesn't matter who it is.
Some characters are just better at pressuring him than others. However, I do think spacies and Sheik are much more manageable than they were in Melee, though I'd have to see exactly how that pans out in tourney play.

*edit*
nevermind, looks like they're closing all of them... WHY???

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I recognize a few names from the Brawl Link boards. :) This is great that PM has its own sub-forum, and for its characters!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
The more Brawl players that switch to PM, the better.
Not that Sakurai pays attention, but a dwindling competitive scene for Brawl sends a clear message for Smash 4 to not be like Brawl.

Eh... who am I kidding, Sakurai doesn't care about fans, he want "new" gamers so he can make more money.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I don't Sakurai ever wanted a competitive scene for Brawl in the first place.

And the idea of Brawl players picking up PM sounds too good to be true.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I don't know how he even got the impression in the first place that there was something wrong with the game being competitive.
You can play Melee casually no problem, just don't play against people who are competitive, and will demand you turn items off and only do teams or 1v1.
Did he not notice, Halo and Street Fighter both have HUGE competitive scenes, there are still A LOT of people who aren't competitive that play for fun.
As a matter of fact, my ex-gf was in a sorority, she and her sorority sisters would actually get a bunch of 360s and have huge LAN parties.
The point, a game can be competitive and casual at the same time w/o altering and nerfing it to the point it becomes stupid.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It's easily possible to drag players from Brawl to P:M.

You just need to scoop them when they're most fed up with the game so they're more likely to give P:M a shot. Also the contrast in quality will blow them away, and that effect will be inflated if they're frustrated with Brawl.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
P:M is a fun game, and I think a lot of brawl players like it because their "favorite" character is still in P:M but w/ upgraded abilities. Excluding, Pit...I think he's a little nerfed, but I haven't played him enough to figure out.

But Link is amazing in this game, I played him once and feel in love. His zoning/control of space is so good because the projectile lag is very low. Link can pull out bombs/arrows/boom/Z-button so fast in this game. Up-B OOS seems a little buffed too, and his attacks speed is a lot faster. I think I'll be maining Link in P:M, but I still have to see who else I can be good w/.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
2.1 boomerang hits people straight up, making it awesome for combos. However, in 2.5, it hits at an angle: up and slightly away after it is thrown and slightly towards Link when it comes back.

Personally, I don't feel much of a difference.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
2.1 boomerang hits people straight up, making it awesome for combos. However, in 2.5, it hits at an angle: up and slightly away after it is thrown and slightly towards Link when it comes back.

Personally, I don't feel much of a difference.
Neat, thank you very much. Along with the bombs, is this the only change to Link in 2.5?

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Something about his grab changed.

He also can't dsmash while holding a bomb anymore (which was so cool).
The change to his grab is an extremely important one to note. The grab can no longer grab people out of the air like in 2.1, which is an extremely big nerf. There is a normal grab box around Link's hand that will grab foes in the air, but it is extremely small.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Overall Link just feels a lot worse to me :/. He's not as fun to play anymore, probably going to end up switching mains.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wait.

wat.

why?

He hasnt even changed that much, has he?
His rang hits up and away now instead of straight up, which messes with half of my bomb tricks and makes it really hard to combo off rang in general. He's also worse at comboing. With rang hitting people away now it seems he's better played more campy as throwing rang close to someone isn't really worth the risk anymore, and I'd rather not have to play like that.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Was there any positive changes to link in 2.5? Because I personally think he'll drop in places because he can't even grab aerial targets.

Same with TL, he's so depressing now.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
His rang hits up and away now instead of straight up, which messes with half of my bomb tricks and makes it really hard to combo off rang in general. He's also worse at comboing. With rang hitting people away now it seems he's better played more campy as throwing rang close to someone isn't really worth the risk anymore, and I'd rather not have to play like that.

Ah jeez. Don't give up, though. You might find something else that can make it work.

Dng3

Smash Apprentice
I felt link was perfectly balanced in 2.1. His boomerang's intended design was thrown out the window in 2.5 and along with his other changes he was basically nerfed without much reason.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Does anyone know who was BEHIND the nerfs that Link got?
Not being able to air grab actually is quite a nerf, its one thing I HATE about Melee Link.
Better not have been some Fox main who thought "wahhh, Link is too good against Fox now.".

Btw Hylian, don't give up on Link regardless, you're a model for the community.

Revven

FrankerZ
He can definitely still grab characters out of the air. Please actually test it out before saying he can't. I just did it like twice today (of the few matches I played with him).

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Actually the rang change is screwing with stuff.

However, SMK is right in the fact that he can still grab out of the air. That has to do with mechanic changes, where a character's limbs were made to no longer be grabbable ala Melee. His ability to grab out of the air so well was because you can grab limbs in brawl.

So calm down, SMK.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
They should keep the rang exactly the way it was in 64.
It's not fair Falco can laser you into submission, and Link can't stun the crap out of you with a point blank boomerang (which is already riskier to begin with).

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
<Magus>i made it melee/64, but like 64 the return hit has about the same kb power as going out
<Magus>melee return was really weak
Yeah. Straight from the horses mouth.

64's rang was pretty good because of the hitstun, so who knows how well it can work here when explored.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Was there any positive changes to link in 2.5? Because I personally think he'll drop in places because he can't even grab aerial targets.

Same with TL, he's so depressing now.
Toon Link actually got some buffs from 2.1. UpB kills better, Fsmash kills better, UpB ground can't be shielded in the middle of it like it could before, throws are better, Dair isn't auto-suicide off the stage, and Fair is better. Just sayin'.

They should keep the rang exactly the way it was in 64.
It's not fair Falco can laser you into submission, and Link can't stun the crap out of you with a point blank boomerang (which is already riskier to begin with).
It actually matches Smash64 more now.

As for the grab - Link can still grab airborne enemies with his hand, but the hookshot itself does not. This was done to reduce the potency of the chaingrabs, and make them slightly more difficult to do.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Does anyone know who was BEHIND the nerfs that Link got?
Not being able to air grab actually is quite a nerf, its one thing I HATE about Melee Link.
Better not have been some Fox main who thought "wahhh, Link is too good against Fox now.".

Btw Hylian, don't give up on Link regardless, you're a model for the community.
I won't give up on link. It's just disheartening to start losing to people I beat or go even with consistently just because of the rang change :/. It really is a pretty big nerf I think.

I like the grab changes to link. Only thing I dislike is rang and I think it's a lot more important than people realized >_>.

Top Bottom