• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Got 7th at this tourney: http://smashboards.com/threads/anti-the-dul0r-presents-crossfire-results.335000/
Mostly played Link, a bit of ZSS as well.

Unrelated question: Why is it that sometimes my tether comes out when trying to perform an AGT? It shouldn't be possible with a bomb in hand and often causes my death during recovery.
It's because you aren't hitting A or the C-stick fast enough to throw the bomb. To agt you are actually instant throwing, which means you are cancelling the first few frames of your airdodge with an item throw. So if you miss out on that frame window and hit the throw button too late you will zair instead since you can zair out of an airdodge.

Perfecthell4

Smash Apprentice
Zair also has a certain window, you can't do it late in the air dodge. So if that's the case, then there is a tiny window just after the item toss window but before the Zair window ends in which it is possible to zair while holding a bomb?

Thankfully, It didn't happen to me in tourney haha, would have been pissed.

Edit - I see now, not sure why i thought the Zair window was smaller than it actually is, but you were right it's late input causing a Zair.

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I noticed that sometimes when you grab ledge with tether and your opponent grabs it at the same time, you both cling on, and no one is sent tumbling to their death. Why does this happen?

B.W.

Smash Champion
I noticed that sometimes when you grab ledge with tether and your opponent grabs it at the same time, you both cling on, and no one is sent tumbling to their death. Why does this happen?
Because it's been coded that way. Tethers can now connect to ledges that other characters are edge hogging.

They did it this way because tethers in Brawl were dumb, and they also aren't (currently) able to make tethering the way it is in Melee.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Well I'm looking forward to a house tourney I'm attending this weekend. Hopefully the bit of combo theory I've been doing will help. Wish me luck. :)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Zair also has a certain window, you can't do it late in the air dodge. So if that's the case, then there is a tiny window just after the item toss window but before the Zair window ends in which it is possible to zair while holding a bomb?

Thankfully, It didn't happen to me in tourney haha, would have been pissed.

Edit - I see now, not sure why i thought the Zair window was smaller than it actually is, but you were right it's late input causing a Zair.
You can Zair out of any point of your airdodge, there isn't a window.

Perfecthell4

Smash Apprentice
That's what I meant in my edit, sorry if that wasn't clear. I miss the AGT much less often now that i'm more conscious of the timing.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Edit: Has anyone else tried using DI to the left or right while charging an arrow after a jump or short hop. I was playing around in Training mode and found it gives Link an interesting approaching or retreating shot with the bow if you hold it for a bit so it doesn't do a B reversal instead.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Yo guys, went to a 7 man bracket tourney this weekend and ended up placing third. I went Link mostly and used Snake as a last resort.

I ended up placing third. Both times I lost to stingers (once in winners bracket, again in the losers final bracket). His Zard is insanely good.

The entrees and placements were:

1st: Esam
2nd: Stingers
3rd: Me
4th: Bl@ckChris
5th: Archer
tied for 6th: Peter/Kris

Not sure if this is right in terms of placing, but this is what I remember. I'll have to double check if this is correct on the results thread when it gets uploaded.

Sarix

Smash Ace
Nice going BryE, it's good that there are other Link players aside from Hylian who can place in top 3 (myself excluded).

Edit: It's kind of a shame that the Link boards for P:M seem to be so on and off with activity, considering this is the best he's ever been.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah no kidding :/. I answer questions when people ask but people aren't asking much lol.

Good stuff Byre.

Sarix

Smash Ace
It might be worth starting a moveset discussion or something. I've been making my own personal notes of potential combos, zoning tactics, and uses of each move in general in a document on my computer.

Edit: Also Happy Easter to anyone who comes on the Link boards.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Nice going BryE, it's good that there are other Link players aside from Hylian who can place in top 3 (myself excluded).

Edit: It's kind of a shame that the Link boards for P:M seem to be so on and off with activity, considering this is the best he's ever been.

Thank you, and thanks Hylian. I appreciate it.

During my bracket match with Bl@ckChris, (who uses Fox) I was extremely nervous.. Thanks to my friend, Blade, I've been practicing the Fox/Link match-up pretty frequently. And I actually did good because of it.

Imo, I wouldn't find it too surprising to see Link players get placed in top 5. Link is a pretty strong character from what I've experienced. But honestly, I also like the fact that almost any character can get placed fairly high.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I do agree that Link is a very solid character now, which is how he should be. I probably will actually to place pretty well once I get time to practice after this semester of college ends lol, so many projects. Even though he doesn't have his 2.1 boomerang I still find it pretty useful in my zoning and trapping since I can use it as a method of dividing attention at the very least and creating mix-ups.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I do agree that Link is a very solid wavedash now, which is how he should be. I probably will actually to place pretty well once I get wavedash to practice after this semester of college ends lol, so many projects. Even though he doesn't have his 2.1 boomerang I still find it pretty useful in my zoning and trapping since I can use it as a method of dividing attention at the very least and creating mix-ups.
Yeah I agree, the fact that he doesn't have the same boomerang he had back in 2.1 doesn't mean much to me. Mainly because it always manages to save my tail whenever it's returning. And it's really useful for setups/restricting approaches/getting out of grabs.

I've been trying to incorporate more usages for dropping bombs on the stage, like Hylian did when he plays against Sethlon.
I started doing this since it sorta saves me time trying to pull out another bomb, although it might be best to do this when your opponent is offstage if you can't gimp them.
I also want to work on footstool bomb combos like I used to do back in Brawl.

Also, lol'd at smashboards little April Fool's joke. :p

Sarix

Smash Ace
Yeah I agree, the fact that he doesn't have the same boomerang he had back in 2.1 doesn't mean much to me. Mainly because it always manages to save my tail whenever it's returning. And it's really useful for setups/restricting approaches/getting out of grabs.

I've been trying to incorporate more usages for dropping bombs on the stage, like Hylian did when he plays against Sethlon.
I started doing this since it sorta saves me time trying to pull out another bomb, although it might be best to do this when your opponent is offstage if you can't gimp them.
I also want to work on footstool bomb combos like I used to do back in Brawl.

Also, lol'd at smashboards little April Fool's joke. :p
It was good joke on making every character basically have 0 to death combos.

I often find the boomerang comparable to Rachel's frog in BB in that it has a lot of offensive and defensive utility.

When it comes to dropping bombs I often like to incorporate them by dropping one to create a little "bomb wall" to test my opponent. If they run in then I can grab the convenient bomb and chuck it, if they stay back more projectiles and set up time for me. The effect can also be achieved by throwing it up or just holding it.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Hey guys, just came back from a tourney at ECUgaming. Ended up placing 2nd in another 7 man bracket.
I played a bunch of players who mainly used Falco and Marth since they were essentially Melee players. The only player that I lost to was Dr. PeePee. (Grand finals was a troll match with Mario dittos between the two of us).
I also tried out footstooling in my friendlies and bracket matches. For the most part, no one were teching them so I assume it caught people offguad. Had some clutch matches too.

Yeroc, the guy who works on ZSS, was there too. He's pretty chill.

Also, the PM Link boards are so dead. :[ Really wish there was more activity.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I went to a melee tournament today lol, I'm getting rusty at PM :(.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
How'd you do in the melee tourney?
I got 9th in singles and 3rd in teams. I beat 3rd place in singles round 1 of the bracket and then ended up with an incredibly hard bracket afterwards lol.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
BryE, if its not too much trouble, I have a texture request.
I'd like a normal Link, except with mocha skin and black hair.
Here's an example that I have using Toon Link:

Basically, exactly like that. Link with none of his gear or clothes altered, but with mocha skin and black hair.
Possible? THNX!!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'm not BryE, but I was able to throw together a texture replacement for default Link:

I hope that's something like you wanted.

Here is a link to the download.
That looks very good, thanks!! :)
However, would it be possible to make the skin a little bit lighter?
Closer to a mix b/w that shade of brown and his normal skin tone.
Also with light brown eyes rather than yellow-ish eyes.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I got 9th in singles and 3rd in teams. I beat 3rd place in singles round 1 of the bracket and then ended up with an incredibly hard bracket afterwards lol.
I hate having a hard bracket with impossible players. :( Fortunately for me, it doesn't happen to often since the NC scene isn't that great at Project M. (Or smash in general)
All we have is Dr. PeePee. lol

All this talk of re-texturing Link reminds me of two finals I have to get done hehe.
:o How so?

Also, does anyone else use zair a lot? After exploring some bomb tech usages, I started zairing more since it's a really good move.
Goes through projectiles like Mario's Fireball, Zard's Flamethrower (I think), even Link's own projectiles. Not only that but it can easily save you when trying to recover onstage after exhausting all of your jumps. The only downside is that you gotta commit with the zair.

Sarix

Smash Ace
:o How so?

Also, does anyone else use zair a lot? After exploring some bomb tech usages, I started zairing more since it's a really good move.
Goes through projectiles like Mario's Fireball, Zard's Flamethrower (I think), even Link's own projectiles. Not only that but it can easily save you when trying to recover onstage after exhausting all of your jumps. The only downside is that you gotta commit with the zair.
Digital Animation major, though I specialize in character animation. Texturing our models tends to be life or death for projects.

I use Zair often myself. It's a really safe poke and is great when playing footsies or trying to outzone opponents at mid range. It's also a nice spacing move in neutral.

For recovery I tend to use it often out of an airdodge when I know I can catch the ledge because I play with a lot of players who try to spike me offstage as their main form of edgeguarding. But then again I'm like one of 3 players in West MI who plays a zoning character, so projectile edgeguarding is fairly rare.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Digital Animation major, though I specialize in character animation. Texturing our models tends to be life or death for projects.

I use Zair often myself. It's a really safe poke and is great when playing footsies or trying to outzone opponents at mid range. It's also a nice spacing move in neutral.

For recovery I tend to use it often out of an airdodge when I know I can catch the ledge because I play with a lot of players who try to spike me offstage as their main form of edgeguarding. But then again I'm like one of 3 players in West MI who plays a zoning character, so projectile edgeguarding is fairly rare.

Yeah I play against one of my friends who just loves to edge-guard a lot. So I have to be slightly innovative with my recoveries every time I get back onto the stage.

However on stage, using zair is a great tool if you want to poke at someone who has slightly more range than Link (Marth, DK) And when you use footstooling, it's a wonderful move if you want to reset your opponent in a standing position (that is if they don't tech the footstool or you hit them before they land).

I Myself

Smash Cadet
BRLNK88: Glad to be of assistance! I can do Link's alternate colors with the same hair/skin/eye setup too, if you want.

BryE: Speaking of footstooling, I've been trying to incorporate that into my game for all characters. The people I play against usually don't expect it so it makes for an easy followup. So far I've found that Link's down throw usually combos into one at lower percents, but I haven't been able to reliably land one after anything else. What do you find works for linking into it?

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
One flaw Link did inherit from Melee is trying to score KO's at high percents.
I was playing against a friend's D3, had a one stock lead while he was at around 160, got in 3 or 4 d-throws and kept missing the fair. He took another stock then got me up to 90 before I finally slipped in a uair around 232 (its of note we were playing on Dreamland). It's similar to the issues Marth has, except Marth has an easier time getting grabs and is much faster. I really started to panic when he somehow got 2 Gordos in a row, and he kept throwing me off AGT-ing the Waddle-dees, which I had no idea he could even do. I've decided Link has some good defensive options against Squirtle, but Ivysaur is an enormous pain in the ass.
I actually like Toon Link better at scoring high percentage KO's, dthrow leads into an easy aerial up-B on most characters.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
BRLNK88: Glad to be of assistance! I can do Link's alternate colors with the same hair/skin/eye setup too, if you want.

BryE: Speaking of footstooling, I've been trying to incorporate that into my game for all characters. The people I play against usually don't expect it so it makes for an easy followup. So far I've found that Link's down throw usually combos into one at lower percents, but I haven't been able to reliably land one after anything else. What do you find works for linking into it?
Against lighter characters, yeah, dthrow is a good tool for footstooling at lower percentages. However I say it's best to experiment against different characters using different attacks and setups. The stuff I assume you could possibly do are:

- Throwing bombs at my opponent while I'm above them (throwing them downwards) then footstooling them.
- Footstooling after a Dtilt.
- Footstooling after an Utilt or Usmash against heavier characters.
- Footstooling after a Bair (if the opponent DI's towards you).
- Footstooling after the second hit of Fair.

Here's a combo I did against a friend of mine during friendlies. (Second combo isn't anything special)

It's nice to know that you are experimenting with footstooling. It's an underused technique that doesn't get much attention. :chuckle: However the hard part about trying to predict people's DI so you can footstool them. It's really hard on some characters due to differences in weight/hitstun.

I also posted a thread about footstooling as well as showing some possibilities and setups usages.

http://smashboards.com/threads/pm-link-2-5b-possible-link-footstool-setups.335583/

Top Bottom