• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light House Social and General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I doubt a competitive TF2 thread would be accepted, since there's already a boring thread on it, and you know, I can't get away with making a SSBM thread. I think.

Geez, I can't believe I only play 2 games :ohwell:

SwampertTheGreat

Smash Ace
I doubt a competitive TF2 thread would be accepted, since there's already a boring thread on it, and you know, I can't get away with making a SSBM thread. I think.

Why would you need to make a ssbm thread?
Also you can post whatever in the TF2 thread.Doesn't have to be casual

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i generally never hate on anything

except two things

dragon ball evolution movie

and

sharkboy and lavagirl

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
:shrug: Bad timing.I might download it but i'm not not sure
If you do end up downloading it, let's play sometime! :)

Why do you only play 2 games? (Unless you don't own any of the current gen consoles?) You are more than welcome to post competitive stuff in the TF2 thread here in the LH. And we already have other rooms where you can discuss SSBM in.

Why would you need to make a ssbm thread?
Also you can post whatever in the TF2 thread.Doesn't have to be casual
^
This.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I don't care for death metal myself.

But Dethklok is hilarious because they pretty much just make fun of death metal. And their music is pretty good. Sound wise.

Also, they have a song called 'I tampered with the evidence at the murder site of Odin'.

They're just so ridiculous. And silly. I like to laugh. :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha speaking of making fun of death metal

RAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPERAPE

i am a terrorist straight out of hell

Gates

Banned via Warnings
But I'm not a mod. o3o
If you were an alt account of F8AL, you'd find a way.

Also, why would anybody automatically "hate" on KPop? I just look at it as music in another language, not unlike anything that could be produced over here in the West.
Yeah, but I also hate American pop music, and from what I've heard KPop is not that much different.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Yeah, but I also hate American pop music, and from what I've heard KPop is not that much different.
To each their own. I don't really go out of my way to listen to American pop except if it's **** from the nineties. *****es don't know 'bout dat Chumbawumba. Foreign pop I hold in a similar esteem (I don't really go out of my way to listen to it, I mean) but it's a helluva lot more superficial 'cause, y'know, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE WORDS.

If I had to pick a current pop artist that I enjoyed listening to, however, it'd be Jason Mraz. He's a great lyricist and he's got a great voice to back that up (helps that he can play guitar well and he can write his own music). It'd be asinine to say that he's totally immune to the whims of record labels and all of that (aka "HE'S NOT A SELL-OUT PFFFFFT!"), but I will go out on a limb and say that he's a helluva lot more genuine than the likes of Ke$ha or Nickelback. At least, I'd like to think so.

Also, Gates: What kind of music do you listen to, if at all? I'm curious.

ODIN: Dethklok is ****ing hysterical and surprisingly talented. I agree with you there.

Smooth Criminal

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kesha writes her own music and can play the guitar, along with many other instruments.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Eh.

I can't "hate" on any genre of music, but if I had to pick one genre in particular for any measure of my disdain, I'd definitely blacklist deathmetal/core/whatever the **** ******** appellation is given to it. This genre pretty much prove the point of anybody that thinks screaming in certain parts of a song (or through a whole song) is ********. Some of these guys either sound like a cheesy rip-off of Doctor Claw or a draconian version of Fat Albert. Speaking of the instrumental side of the spectrum...Christ, I can ****ing bang on the drums all day too. Definitely not hard, especially with the 'pedal. I can also pluck random chords on a guitar to make noise. All-in-all, putting them together, it feels very ad-hoc to me; that none of the elements that comprise music are really coming together, but just tossed in there suddenly to create noise. It's all very discordant, and not tastefully so.
This is one of the most hilariously ignorant and uninformed posts I've ever read. Hahahaha.

Hahahaha.

hahahahahah

Luigitoilet

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
This is one of the most hilariously ignorant and uninformed posts I've ever read. Hahahaha.

Hahahaha.

hahahahahah

Luigitoilet
If you actually bothered to read the second paragraph, you'd find that I said that not all of it sounds like that and that for every track that I dislike I'd probably find one or two that I could stand to listen to. I also said that I don't dismiss musical aptitudes and that there still is a level of complexity to that kind of music regardless of how it sounds. I just don't like the bulk of it.

Derp. You think I don't have **** like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Napalm Death, or Nonexist on my computer? You'd be flatass wrong, LT. Hell, I even own a couple of albums from the aforementioned bands (chiefly Nonexist and Cradle of Filth).

Get off of my nuts.

Smooth Criminal

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
That doesn't take away that you also said

"Christ, I can ****ing bang on the drums all day too. Definitely not hard, especially with the 'pedal. I can also pluck random chords on a guitar to make noise. All-in-all, putting them together, it feels very ad-hoc to me; that none of the elements that comprise music are really coming together, but just tossed in there suddenly to create noise. It's all very discordant, and not tastefully so."

just because you said "I don't actually mean what I just said a paragraph ago" doesn't mean you aren't allowed to be called out on it.

so ok, i apologize. one of the most ignorant and uninformed 1/2 of a post is what I should have written

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
That doesn't take away that you also said

"Christ, I can ****ing bang on the drums all day too. Definitely not hard, especially with the 'pedal. I can also pluck random chords on a guitar to make noise. All-in-all, putting them together, it feels very ad-hoc to me; that none of the elements that comprise music are really coming together, but just tossed in there suddenly to create noise. It's all very discordant, and not tastefully so."

just because you said "I don't actually mean what I just said a paragraph ago" doesn't mean you aren't allowed to be called out on it.
Fair enough.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that you didn't read the latter half of my post, though, acknowledging that there are some tracks that stand out to me and that I blatantly worded it as such to contradict previous sentiments of mine (i.e. "music is NOT stagnant, regardless of genre"). I think I was being rather concessionary there, don't you think? If I really abhorred it, I wouldn't have said what I said.

Maybe I worded it poorly or something. I dunno.

Anyway, no hard feelings LT. :c You have a right to call people out on **** like that. This is a forum, after all.

(I just caught your edit.)

Smooth Criminal

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Good for her.

I still haven't found a song from Kesha that I like that "breaks the mold." You can be classically trained (like GaGa) and still suck ***.

Smooth Criminal
Why would she "break the mold"?
She works mainly in one genre (pop if you're being vague, synthpop/dancepop if you want to be more specific), like 99% of other artists.
Asking her to "break the mold" is like asking a professional painter to mold you something out of clay.

She doesn't suck (at least for you, there are plenty of reasons for someone to dislike her specifically, but none that you mentioned), you just aren't into that type of music. There's a difference.

Also if an artist is signed to a major label, they've sold out, no matter what. They've basically agreed to do pretty much anything the label wants to make sure they sell as many records as possible. How hard the label enforces that is up in the air.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Why would she "break the mold"?
She works mainly in one genre (pop if you're being vague, synthpop/dancepop if you want to be more specific), like 99% of other artists.
Asking her to "break the mold" is like asking a professional painter to mold you something out of clay.

She doesn't suck (at least for you, there are plenty of reasons for someone to dislike her specifically, but none that you mentioned), you just aren't into that type of music. There's a difference.
Okay, I goofed here. I didn't mean to make it out that Kesha sucked and she was talentless. I was just pointing out that she could be classically trained to play a few instruments (again, Like GaGa) and still not put out good music. As far as the "good music" thing goes, it's highly subjective and varies.

I'm not asking her to transcend musical boundaries, Spelt, or perform music outside of her scope. I just haven't heard anything from her that I like that isn't a redux of just about every other pop song in existence. "Breaking the mold" was probably the wrong thing to say there; perhaps "breaking the ice with me and my tastes" would have been more apt.

So, in short: You're right. I don't like her because she's not my cup of tea. I did not imply that she was without talent or anything like that, though.

Edit: Again, if you read, I agree with that notion. In the words of DJ Alan Cox:

Once you take that money for your first gig, you've more or less sold out. It's not about playing for yourself anymore.
Smooth Criminal

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I hate that concept of "selling out". It seems so teenage to get caught up in worrying whether or not an artist you like is a "sellout". Who cares? Do you still like the music? So so what?

Getting paid for your passion and skill is not something to be ashamed of and it is really a position that all artists want to be in.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I hate that concept of "selling out". It seems so teenage to get caught up in worrying whether or not an artist you like is a "sellout". Who cares? Do you still like the music? So so what?

Getting paid for your passion and skill is not something to be ashamed of and it is really a position that all artists want to be in.
^

Which brings me, subsequently, to that conclusion.

Smooth Criminal

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yuri -> Name
Nuna -> Honorific used by a male to address an older female (you've seen me call Lythium "nuna" on various occasions)
Neomu -> Very / So
Yeppeo -> Pretty

Nuna neomu yeppeo!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
In all my years of reading, I've never seen any dialect of Chinese written phonetically like that.

(Any of the Eastern Asian dialects, really.)

Pretty neat.

Smooth Criminal

Gates

Banned via Warnings
*****es don't know 'bout dat Chumbawumba.
I get knocked down.
Then I get up again.
You're never gonna keep me down.

If I had to pick a current pop artist that I enjoyed listening to, however, it'd be Jason Mraz.
lol, wow, seriously? Do you drink Natty Lite while listening to it and chilling out on the lawn of your frat house, brah?

I hate Jason Mraz, John Maher, Bruno Mars, Jack Johnson, and pretty much anyone else with the "solo white guy with acoustic guitar" setup. I like energetic, exciting, and emotional (but not emo, there's a difference) music, and their songs just never have that kind of thing going on in them.

Also, Gates: What kind of music do you listen to, if at all? I'm curious.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12120722&postcount=253
15th question.

Kesha writes her own music and can play the guitar, along with many other instruments.
If you can call what Ke$ha records music that is.

Ke$ha is basically everything I hate about pop music. Vapid blondes with autotuned singing about the most pointless ****

Yuri-nuna neomu yeppeo!

More like Girls' Generation neomu yeppeo!

But then Hyoyeon.
God dammit Tery, you come to this country you need to speak the language.

In all my years of reading, I've never seen any dialect of Chinese written phonetically like that.

Pretty neat.
It's Korean.

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
Derp. You think I don't have **** like Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, Napalm Death, or Nonexist on my computer? You'd be flatass wrong, LT. Hell, I even own a couple of albums from the aforementioned bands (chiefly Nonexist and Cradle of Filth).
Just reading over this and a few other comments about death metal and the like, you don't know much about the genre to think that ANY of it doesn't take technical skill, intelligent song writing, and practice over all.
I dunno if you've tried to sustain the kind of vocals that death/whatever metal bands have to sustain, but I'll tell you right now that I've had a ****ton of issues with it.
Ignance, bro, ignance.
Oh, I quoted the above post but I as responding to whatever else you said. Napalm Death is a horrid band. Get @ Magrudergrind because they're much better grind.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
lol, wow, seriously? Do you drink Natty Lite while listening to it and chilling out on the lawn of your frat house, brah?
Natty Lite? **** that swill. Nastyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Lol.

As for the rest of your attack: Yeah, I'm guilty as sin. I happen to like select tracks from those guys. Nothing saying I don't like other, more hyped-up things though, as indicative from my earlier conversation with LT. My tastes run the gamut.

Shout outs to you liking Metallica, btw. They're one of my all-time favorite bands.

(Please tell me you hated St. Anger as much as I did.)

Edit: Wretched, you reallyyyyyyyyyyyy need to read the rest of my post(s) bro. I acknowledged that it takes a certain measure of skill and musical aptitude to produce that kind of music. I never said anything about those bands being talentless; as a matter of fact, I was saying that I like songs from those bands and that I own the albums from a pair of them on that list.

Smooth Criminal

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~

Pretty neat.

Smooth Criminal
It's Korean.
Thank you, Gates. Besides, Chinese dialects are such a ***** to write out phonetically.

Gates said:
God dammit Tery, you come to this country you need to speak the language.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Never listened to St. Anger.

I don't listen to music that much actually. I only have 2 or 3 gigs of music on my iPod and the rest is empty space.

Chinese isn't hard to write out phonetically if you know how. You basically just spell out the pinyin and then put the number of the inflection used.

1 = Flat tone
2 = Rising inflection
3 = Falling, then rising
4 = Falling inflection

ex: Ni3 shi4 yi1 kun3 chai2 (You are a ******)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom