• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Actually, I had a conversation today that was pretty interesting, we were talking about how it was fine for girls to be pro-gay rights regardless of their orientation, but guys that are involved are automatically assumed gay. Having some personal experience in this (I mentioned it on the thread, and come on I know what most of you were thinking till I talked about my family) I'd like some thoughts, you guys have any insight or personal experience on this?
Cultural double-standard. Straight men are either assumed to be indifferent to the whole issue, or completely against it. It's just not very masculine to stand up for gay rights. I think it's about that simple.

Queen

Smash Apprentice
I suppose I should say that in terms of religion being what it is, I think it's unfair to say that it must be concrete and without cracks. Faith is, after all, an attempt to bridge and mend cracks, to understands rifts and crevices. I'm reminded of Soren Kierkegaard's Knight of Faith in "Fear and Trembling." The leap of faith is a sort of covenant made between the person at hand and God. No one else can possibly fathom this. However, this is not born of some arrogant presumption but rather because such a thing is by it's very nature undefinable.

But, enough of that. I have a very simplistic understanding of Kierkegaard...

As for gay marriage, I'm of two minds. I'm not overly fond of marriage in the first place but I do think the nonsense "controversy" surrounding it needs to be forcibly inserted into a few unwilling orifices. I'd rather we just head straight for the gate and fiddle, tweak, and completely alter what gender means and the role it plays. There's nothing quite like getting those looks of utter confusion and fear when people can't identify what gender they think one ought to occupy.

As for weddings themselves, I have a small story. One of my friends got married recently and she invited me to her wedding. I was tempted to wear a skirt and heels, but I decided to not freak out her parents, (with whom I was sitting). Anyway, after the ceremony the bridesmaids all did a dance and were promptly followed by the groomsman. After that, a silence hung in the air, which I promptly broke (like hundreds of virginities at hundreds of proms) by screaming, "Let's do the f*cking Time Warp!" And then, we did. Everyone. I've never seen so many people do the Time Warp in unison. Apparently, neither had the DJ. o_O

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
ARMS OF STEEL!

CHEST OF STEEL!

*** OF STEEL!

OMG, <3 the Rocky Horror Picture Show. ****ing hilarious if you attend the live showings.

Smooth Criminal

Queen

Smash Apprentice
The handicapped are always getting f*cked over!

Have there been problems with discussing religion previously? It hasn't seemed overly problematic thus far.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Have there been problems with discussing religion previously? It hasn't seemed overly problematic thus far.
We've gotten this thread locked more than a few times - discussion very quickly gets out of hand.

On a different topic, I wanna test some filtering:

(off top of head)

spick

potato

*looks over list and nods*

Though, the L part of our name might be angry about that.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
The handicapped are always getting f*cked over!

strangly one setence about religion spurs up posters with walls of text about about how they see religions role compared to gay rights.

Lol At the "Time Warp Thing", you cheered me up.

Queen

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps I give people too much credit. <_<

And you're welcome. I love just doin' the time warp in the grocery store, on the street...on other people, you know, the usual.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I saw something pretty interesting in sociology today.

Apparently these male rat fetus' when injected with estrogen, become gay. They also showed us gay rat sex. It was pretty gross. Cuz it's rats and gay lol.

????

Not a gay here srry.

Timbers

check me out
Perhaps I give people too much credit. <_<
religious debate is heavily opinionated rather than factual, which spins the debators into a neverending cluster****. It's the right decision to keep it out for the sanctity of our sanity.
I saw something pretty interesting in sociology today.

Apparently these male rat fetus' when injected with estrogen, become gay. They also showed us gay rat sex. It was pretty gross. Cuz it's rats and gay lol.

????

Not a gay here srry.
that's pretty interesting, actually. Have you been discussing any further studies regarding the nature of homosexuality, or was your prof just like "hey lol gay rats having sex."

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
religious debate is heavily opinionated rather than factual, which spins the debators into a neverending cluster****. It's the right decision to keep it out for the sanctity of our sanity.
All debates are opinionated.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Don't worry, I know it's not a crack, just making people aware.

As for separation of church and state, the free exercise clause must also be respected, not just the establishment clause.

Really, it's not so much that marriage is a solely religious thing, it's that the state has no business in it whatsoever. If people want to make a contract (which is what marriage is in the secular sense) then it has no business in stopping them.

The only institution that can officiate marriage at a level beyond "personal, the couple defines everything"-style marriage is religion, and there only with it's followers.

Secular marriage is ok, because with the state out of the way it because uncontrollable. State marriage is not ok, at least imo.

Better back off the religion though....

Actually, I had a conversation today that was pretty interesting, we were talking about how it was fine for girls to be pro-gay rights regardless of their orientation, but guys that are involved are automatically assumed gay. Having some personal experience in this (I mentioned it on the thread, and come on I know what most of you were thinking till I talked about my family) I'd like some thoughts, you guys have any insight or personal experience on this?
I couldn't agree more, it is just really hard to do.

Bitter Romantic

Smash Journeyman
Southern California [Anaheim/Fullerton, San Diego]
thesage: that's actually what I feel is the best argument so far as to 'explaining' homosexuality :O
that it's caused by the changes in hormones in the pre-natal stage as a fetus :O

dna? nah, should have been more clear and wouldn't explain the variations in sexuality.
environment? too tricky, as gays come from many different backgrounds and are yet, 'gay'
and there are those who come from that 'gay-inducing' background, yet aren't gay

so yeah, the homones as a fetus?
I like that argument best :O

gay rat sex?
you know you liked it ;D

Queen

Smash Apprentice
I bow my head good sirs and madams.

To continue the conversation of sexuality and sociology, does anyone here know anything about Queer Theory? It's extremely radical and undefinable. It refuses to really define gender or sex or sexual behavior in any truly consistent way. It more or less makes all sexual behaviors a choice. It's extremely interesting and extremely difficult to explain and give proper credit.

Also: It's just a jump to left...

Deception

Smash Ace
I have a question for all of you. Do you believe homosexuality (and transexuality) is something you're born with, as in it's all in your DNA, or is it how you are raised that causes it?

Timbers

check me out
All debates are opinionated.
opinions backed by opinions. You can name me any other subject and there'd be a legitimate way to back that claim with factual information. When the debators are left with a subject that holds little to no concrete material to argue with, it quickly turns into biased remarks and opinionated claims, rather than rational and factual.
To continue the conversation of sexuality and sociology, does anyone here know anything about Queer Theory? It's extremely radical and undefinable. It refuses to really define gender or sex or sexual behavior in any truly consistent way. It more or less makes all sexual behaviors a choice. It's extremely interesting and extremely difficult to explain and give proper credit.
that does seem a bit radical, I agree. I'm not sure, I don't think it's a choice you can consciously make, but I think if given enough time to indulge in a certain sexual lifestyle that you can potentially make that "choice."
I have a question for all of you. Do you believe homosexuality (and transexuality) is something you're born with, as in it's all in your DNA, or is it how you are raised that causes it?
I've always believed it to be majority environmental, or more specifically, how a person interacts with that environment. How a person does that is, ironically, biological. So I dunno, a little of column A...a little of column B...

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
I bow my head good sirs and madams.

Also: It's just a jump to left...
where are all our madams anyway? i feel testosterone overloading every page practically.

anyway....i've heard of that, although not much, and it does sound kinda radical. but does it include some of the more bizarre sexual behaviors as well?

i think your born predispositioned to be gay or trans. unless you live in an enviorment that encourages gayness, never hear of those places, or ones that say being gay is ok, it just doesn't seem like the enviorment plays a larger role in it. i have met quite a few guys who came from similar backgrounds as me, both those that include barbie and those that do not, but i think the enviorment affects realization and coming out times.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Queer Theory. IDK sounds like its obviously coming from Gay people seeing as its called Queer Theory, yet it seeks to encompass all sexual behaviors/orientations. My question is then, why call it queer theory which sounds kind of gay centric like their the ones who've got the whole gender thing figured out. IDK I get a lot of that at my school and I hate it when people talk as if straight people are totally confined by the hetero box and gays/lesbians are a liberated people without their own staple behaviors that they adhere too. Everyone does. Still, it sounds intruiging.

The thing that kills me about the old psychology debate of nature (biology/genes) vs. nuture (enviornment/upbringing) is it tends to leave out personal choice. Personal choices then become the direct outcome of those two factors interacting not a concious decision so essentially you are what others have made you. If thats the case, should we punish the guy who holds up the local 7/11 or the mass murder who slaughters 30 odd people? Its not his fault its his nature/nuture.

If you think were merely the result of those two factors and answered yes to the last question then we should by the same logic discriminate against the handicapped and mentally ********. After all they are who they are by result of their nature/nuture (mostly nature for them). Why not make fun of dumb people then? We certainly reward those who are naturally gifted for sports that only require certain physical attributes and a narrow skill set. There only relevant choice is whether or not to play.

I don't really prescribe to this thought though so no I don't like the simplification of the nature nuture stand by. Choices show us who were truly are (to paraphrase Dumbledore) since they have consequential results and reflect all of our concerns set into a hierachy, the most important concerns being most evident in the choice. Choices are a better reflection than a single choice obviously.

I think that sexual orientation is some more determined by natural factors and choice although the choice isn't really a concious one (in most cases) more of a reflection of that persons personality (refined by choices) and that personality moves towards whatever orientation suits it. I agree enviornment plays a lesser role. The person shines through more so inspite of personality or so I feel.

Sanu

Smash Champion
I am so ****ing pissed right now. If anyone pities me, thinks less of me or hates on me for my sexuality I'm going to beat the **** out of them. I finally understand how ignorant people can be. /rant

Edit: Blah, I'm ok now. I'm just angry due to a combination of things; rocky relationship drama, terrible posters on SWF and people jumping off msn while we're chatting without saying a word of goodbye. Sorry guys!

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
If anyone pities me, thinks less of me or hates on me for my sexuality I'm going to beat the **** out of them. !
yeah when that happens the victim often goes O.O
or gets ******

i met someone on FF11 and we were really good friends till i told him i thought i was gay and the friendship like ended right there, even a little bit of pity as well. bumer too, the guy was really funny and cool to be with before then.

(enter taboo word here) rocks!!! /sarcasm

*sends hugs to Sanuzi*

btw im going to TYM4 tomorrow if anyone one else is going and wondering should i gay it out, or just dress normal that day.
for those who don't know what it is:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219954

The.End

Smash Cadet
yeah when that happens the victim often goes O.O
or gets ******

i met someone on FF11 and we were really good friends till i told him i thought i was gay and the friendship like ended right there, even a little bit of pity as well. bumer too, the guy was really funny and cool to be with before then.

(enter taboo word here) rocks!!! /sarcasm

*sends hugs to Sanuzi*

btw im going to TYM4 tomorrow if anyone one else is going and wondering should i gay it out, or just dress normal that day.
for those who don't know what it is:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219954
o.o Gosh, darn it, I need to attend REAL tourneys- I keep ending up at these small tourneys and it isn't so great D:
Anyhow, Why would someone stop being your friend if you told em you were gay? It seems a bit simple minded to me o.o Ah well, i suppose they weren't really your friends to begin with then?

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
The thing about all Psychology and Physiological aspects, they are all interconnected.
All of it benefits the behavior of the organism. Disputes of Nature vs. Nurture, are overall pointless, it is both.

The origins is a completely different matter.
We are all encoded to become Gay, Bi, Straight, ect. However, it is the environment that molds the persons mental sexuality.

I would go into it deeper, but I really don't want to.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
We were sorta having a discussion on it in class. There was even a set of identical twins where one fof them was gay and the other was straight. Thought you guys might find it interesting. Honestly it's probably a combination of genes, hormones (which are influenced by genes), and environmental factors.

Honestly, I don't really see the big deal. I don't really care about another person's sexuality unless I'm interested in "doing" them. Since I'm not into the whole "doing guys" thing, I don't really care if there are any gay guys in the world...

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
We were sorta having a discussion on it in class. There was even a set of identical twins where one fof them was gay and the other was straight. Thought you guys might find it interesting. Honestly it's probably a combination of genes, hormones (which are influenced by genes), and environmental factors.

Honestly, I don't really see the big deal. I don't really care about another person's sexuality unless I'm interested in "doing" them. Since I'm not into the whole "doing guys" thing, I don't really care if there are any gay guys in the world...
Yup, these 'controversies' are perfect examples of Nature vs. Nurture.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
opinions backed by opinions. You can name me any other subject and there'd be a legitimate way to back that claim with factual information. When the debators are left with a subject that holds little to no concrete material to argue with, it quickly turns into biased remarks and opinionated claims, rather than rational and factual.
What would you say to the argument that homosexuality/bisexuality is wrong? I could make a pretty good "factual" case for that, completely ignoring any moral standpoint. I'm pretty sure your feelings would get in the way of that argument.

Queen

Smash Apprentice
Timbers, I agree. I don't know that I believe you can fully choose; I think there is biology involved, but I also think that, in some ways, it's healthier merely to act as though it were coming out of choice. In this way, we can get out of the slave-to-biology mentality. We have a mind and it has influence over our nature. We'd be fools not to use it.

IrArby, Queer is not, contrary to popular belief, a homo-exclusive word. In this context, it's being used more for it's deviance concept, rather than 70's "insult the homosexuals" concept. And queer theory is being posited by all sorts of people, rather than just gays and lesbians. More and more people are taking on calling themselves Queer as a sort of liberation. It involves so many ways of living and being that you can't really know what it means without asking the person at hand, thereby humanizing them. You actually have to engage them, interact and learn about them and their own ideas about the world and love and sex. I love this part of it because I'm always insanely curious to know more about people and the way they act and what their own reasonings are.

Sanuzi, that crap sucks. I work at a gas station and I have never received so many gay slurs for carding people for buying cigarettes and alcohol. I want to scream at them, but then I also want to keep my job...decisions, decisions.

Jigglyzelda, gay it up! It's more fun. Also, it might be distracting. :D

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Jigglyzelda, gay it up! It's more fun. Also, it might be distracting. :D
lol i would but them my sister would send me evil faces all day, but i can get away w/ my peach and teal stripped shirt, plus the tightest jeans i can comfortably fit. couple that w/ my manbag and it works out well enough lol

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
O wow, I haven't been on here in forever. Hey all and glad to see this place still inspires. I'm King (it is in fact my real name) aka Lumberheartwood and I used to come here all the time from November 2007 to last summer. I will try and be on here more often nowadays. Classes have been a drag and I've been busy with many things but I have more time to get online nowadays and I want to see how much this community has grown. O, I suck at Brawl too nowadays. I haven't played it in a long time, but if you still want a match, just say so. I play with all the characters but my favorites were Zelda, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Kirby, and Captain Olimar. :D

Have a good one everybody!! (I'm off to see Watchmen and play Rock Band 2 with friends. Huzzah!!)

IrArby

Smash Ace
@Queen: Sexual deviance aside, queer still denotes some one that by definition doesn't fit it. Partially why calling people queer can easily by construed as offensive, saying that they basically don't belong. And anyway, its sounds as if this is meant to a totally new lifestyle (rather doubtful of these "liberated" lifestyles which imply everyone else is somehow missing the point) unlike any other which still makes it queer in the non-sexual outlier definition.

Just thought I'd itterate (I wonder if anyone feels the same) that the Nature Nuture debate doesn't account for personal decision making power. I mean this less in a being gay or straight sense but in a being whom ever you are sense. Nature and Nuture doesn't account for personal autonomy.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
just a brief 10 cents here, Nature Vs. Nurture ended in a draw with both sides conceding something to the other.

It's most likely that genetics plays a big factor by making a person more or less likely to end up one way or another, but it's ultimately nurture that places a person in one category or another. Of course, based on genetics, it may become EXTREMELY likely that a person will end up a certain way.

If we imagine sexuality as a continuum, then you can say that nuture can move you up or down the continuum, but genetics determines your starting position. I don't think that's unlikely, because I definitely didn't decide to be gay myself... but it's not like my parents raised me to be gay either... at least they never tried to, but I'm sure there were supporting factors there in my upbringing... I can even think of a few, but, whatever the case, it's out of our hands, and we are the way we are now. *shrugs*

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Hmmm... I don't know, my bro and I were raised in the same environment. I personally don't know how external factors could make anyone gay.
Studies show that a lot of what makes a person's personality and sense of self the way they are is determined in the first few years of life. It's hard to tell if that extends to sexuality or not. No way to really know.

and, maybe you and your brother had the same upbringing, but your experiences were different.

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering, why are words like "homosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual,etc" considered inappropriate in public schools? It wouldn't bad if they didn't talk about straight relationships frequently. but they do. and leave gays "out in the dark" which is kind of rude. frankly, I fail to understand while those are considered ,regardless of context, bad.

just wondering why a Public school would have the authority to deem such words innapropriate. any ideas?

Deception

Smash Ace
I personally think biology plays a bigger role in sexuality, but life experience might change it a bit. I know I'm attracted to women because of the way my body acts around them. I never knew anything about homosexuality until I hit puberty. Everyone else seemed heterosexual, so another possibility is that I subconsciously do it to fit in. But I can't really explain it to well. I assume it might have been this way for you guys, except you felt attracted to your same sex.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
yeah... when I was little I was "attracted" to girls... which is to say, I wanted to have a girlfriend to fit in. But, as the other boys developed to be actually sexually attracted to the opposite gender, I developed to be sexually attracted to the same gender.

the thing is though... that didn't happen until I was a little older... I'd assume all my life experiences leading up to that development could have had some effect on that.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Just wondering, why are words like "homosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual,etc" considered inappropriate in public schools? It wouldn't bad if they didn't talk about straight relationships frequently. but they do. and leave gays "out in the dark" which is kind of rude. frankly, I fail to understand while those are considered ,regardless of context, bad.

just wondering why a Public school would have the authority to deem such words innapropriate. any ideas?

Most of the time the words are used in a insulting way, such as, "That's gay". And a lot of the time it winds up making a controversy that may offend others. Schools can make their own rules, the first amendment doesn't apply.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Just wondering, why are words like "homosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual,etc" considered inappropriate in public schools?
Are you sure those are the exact words?

"Gay" used in a negative way usually is (at least in my area), but "homosexual, lesbian, etc." should be fine.

I mean, that's what it's called... They use those terms in biology. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom