• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(L) Shielding (R)

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Assuming we all have Gamecube controllers, I find that most people use the "R" button to shield. I personally use "L", but is there a tactical advantage or disadvantage to either side or is it just a righty-lefty thing?

I think using "L" to shield is a better option because the left side of the controler is underused. What I mean by this is that the right side is used for attacks, specials, jumps, smashes, and grabs. On the other hand, (lol) the left side is used only for directional inputs and taunts.

If you use R you probobly have L set to a specific action that suits your character. If you use L to shield, you may use R for the same thing.

Do you use (L) or (R)?
Why?

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
I'm pretty sure that there have been like five of these since I've been a member here. :) And I don't understand what you mean... We should use the L button because its polite to the left side of our controller?

I use the R button. I've never changed the setings on my controller, so I could use the L button if I wanted to...

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that there have been like five of these since I've been a member here. :) And I don't understand what you mean... We should use the L button because its polite to the left side of our controller?

I use the R button. I've never changed the setings on my controller, so I could use the L button if I wanted to...
It's easier to attack OoS and things of that nature when your other hand is free of an action.

Either way I should have put a poll on here at least. It would make this thread more meaningful.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I use L for shielding. I keep R available for specials/jump/attack depending on which charater I'm using. For example, I use R for specials with Olimar (pikmin stuffs), jump for Peach (floating and attacking simultaneously more smoothly), and attack for Sheik (boost smashing). It's pretty easy to adjust whenever I switch characters. I'm just changing one button.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
I use R to shield... And I don't find it gets in the way of using OoS techniques because you can just use ur index finger to hit 'R' and use ur thumb to hit the other button. But it doesn't really matter, it's just what you feel comfortable with. As a matter of fact it could be that if your right hand is your dominant hand, you tend to use the R trigger and vice versa. But that's just a suggestion.
Personally, I don't even touch the L trigger xD

Nestec

Smash Ace
I use R for shielding since I've never bothered to change it. I think my L is also on shield...Maybe I'll experiment a bit and change it to something else.

Luigi player

Smash Master
I only use L. The left hand has nothing to do besides moveing the controlstick (and taunting). The right hand has too many things to think about anyway, and Idk why but it feels really akward holding the R button... there's the Z button anyway for the right hand. To switch from R and Z all the time would probably be really confusing too...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I use R because I am a very avid righty and am pretty sure that if I used L, my reaction time shielding would be slower and I will be hit more. Simply, for those that are righties, your right hand can take more.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I'm not sure. I kinda do it subconciously, though I tend to use R more than L. I do mix it up occasionally.

Jonas

Smash Champion
L for shield, R for grab.
I use Z to jump so that I can use Up B out of shield without tap jump, so it's best to have my left index finger shield and my right index finger jump.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
I think there are more threads like this popping up.

I always use L do Shield, R only for special Stuff.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I'm weird :p
I do L for attack (so I can do pivot walking more easily and some boost smashing), and R as the default shielding.

KirbyIRL

Smash Journeyman
I doubt there's any real tactical advantage to using one or another, since (regardless of how many options your right thumb has compared to your left) both thumbs can still only be inputting one action at a time. The only time you need to be inputting more than one option at a time is (to my knowledge, which could easily be flawed) yoshi's 'dragon dash' or whatever they're calling it where you have to input 2 jumps and an attack at the same time and the DACUS, which can both be solved by modding your settings to have either L or R set to jump or attack respectively, and you just pick which one you don't shield with. It depends on your reaction time with the hand in question. The only tactical advantage I can see from shielding with L instead of R is if your left index has a quicker reaction than your right, so that you can PS more easily when you know an attack's coming.

Edit: I shield with R. The only modification to my controls is to have L to attack for when I need to DACUS with Falco or Shiek. Otherwise I don't touch L.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Shield with L, tap jump off. I claw with my right hand, thumb on A/C-stick and index on Y. I tend to shieldgrab over Z-grabbing, since my middle finger is found on Z/R.

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
I use R to shield it just feels most comfortable. I tried to use L for shield but it just didn't work out too well. Now I've set L to special even though I don't use it. Mighta used it once though...

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
I used L to shield because in SSB, the Z trigger button was hit by the left index, same as L (Z was shield, while R was grab). In Melee I used R exclusively for wavedashing (easier for me, I couldn't wavedash with L) but in brawl I'd say it's unused.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I use R to shield/air dodge, but sometimes I accidentally hit L when I feel pressured when coming to the ground.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Right handed, and I shield with L. R is usually set to either Attack or Jump, depending on my character.

DarkAura

Smash Lord
i use Y xD custom controls. If i end up fighting without my custom controls i use L it just feels better

Bruce

Smash Rookie
I shield with L cause I jump with Z and grab with X/Y. I find it very comfortable. I can't even play with the standard controls anymore.

I use a Gamecube Controller like most people.

Rolling requires control stick inputs. Doens't it seem weird to use the shield button on the right, when the control stick is on the left?

So therefore I use the left to shield. Left side of my controller is used to direct attacks, and move the character itself. Right side is attack inputs. 2 shield buttons is stupid, and 2 jump buttons is stupid. So I replaced both with another button to make inputs easier.

Logical, no?

Avion

Smash Apprentice
I use a Gamecube Controller like most people.

Rolling requires control stick inputs. Doens't it seem weird to use the shield button on the right, when the control stick is on the left?

So therefore I use the left to shield. Left side of my controller is used to direct attacks, and move the character itself. Right side is attack inputs. 2 shield buttons is stupid, and 2 jump buttons is stupid. So I replaced both with another button to make inputs easier.

Logical, no?
Logical yes. I do the same things for the same reasons. You're a total copier Great minds think alike! :bee:

Pez55

Smash Apprentice
I use L...I pretty much ignore the R button as I rest my right index finger on the Z button

Top Bottom