• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kuja's (In)Complete Guide to Making Sonic an annoying ___!

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol, I have stylistic problems outside of Final Destination too. My playstyle is heavy on spring drops and spindash feints. Double jumping from a spindash roll or trying to drop springs on people doesn't work too well in smaller levels with platforms, Battlefield in mind (IMO my worst 'popular' level). Rely on your tilts and shorthopped moves more when you're in a platformy level.

If you're trying to hit Homing Attack and knock someone forward, try fast falling first. HA seems to work best at around a full hop's height (or lower) away from an opponent. If you're higher, you'll hit them so they go 'behind' you. If you're lower, you'll hit them 'forward'.

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
i had noticed the dash slide and screech stop with sonic a while ago and made a thread about it called sonic fox trot but i didn't get into it as much as pk. and frostbyte also gave me some advice there but it didn't become such a big thread. and then another person made a thread on this too. i find it really hard to control tho >_< although i admit i haven't practiced enough =/

Rambo23

Smash Rookie
A good way to confuse your enemy is go right at them with a spin dash then spring jump up at the last second then follow up with a Dair. I wouldn't use it often but it works once or twice.

Tenki

Smash Hero
:)

lol this guide got me into playing Sonic.

Looking back at it, alot of it is kinda... outdated, since there are some pretty interesting techs and strategies that have come up since then, like ASC, retreating Fsmash, and uh... some spring usage.

Buuut- the points about tilts and, more importantly, homing attack still stand.

I still use homing attack to feint a landing and punish a dash attack, or just to punish a laggy move in general XD

Also, after a bunch of Sonic dittos, which I suck at horribly, Shield> U-air is everyone's counterattack to a predictable homing attack, so watch out for that :[

[edit]
even if I DO know this, I still get hit by it all the time.

srsly, IRL when I'm playing against some of you guys, I'm like "AAAARGGGHH HOW DO YOU STOP HOMING ATTACK!!?!?" ;_;

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Also, after a bunch of Sonic dittos, which I suck at horribly, Shield> U-air is everyone's counterattack to a predictable homing attack, so watch out for that :[

For some unexplainable (?) reason, I also suck at Sonic dittos.

Sonic dittos are boring anyway... it takes like two times longer to finish a stock match.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I used to suck at dittos as well.
I couldnt get used to the opponent moving as fast as me

but than i got used to it after doing it a few times

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and i love sonic dittos, because only combonations of sonic and MK in 1 on 1s are the closest thing this game has to melee

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
who wins that anyway? nobody ever plays JP so i really dont know...

and what the hell happened to the dude that made this thread anyway?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Actually it might be based on charge :/

i don't know what happened to Kuja, but I did find ways to make Sonic an annoying ___!

If you have a 2+ stock lead, grab, dash attack, and spindash ALOT.

get them to 200+ %, then grab+pummel like you never have before

Then U-throw to death.

Recently, some people I played got really pissed off at playing against me because I'd start pummel-releasing them every time they missed XD

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I don't think there's any amount of charging that would let you beat it. I'm about 90% confident of this.

Or to put it another way, I would wager my left nut on this but not my life.

The oneDX

Smash Rookie
I dont suck at sonic im good at dodges and stuff but the whole **** point is that he can only do merely combos sonic is my favourite character all the way though im just glad hes here in brawl

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Yeah... Sonic has like... a handful of actual combos. His slow aerial movement speed (AAAARGH) makes him kinda soft on the combo-front. Tech chasing from down-throws= fun though.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Sucks when people know how to avoid it though. That's why I've been using Fthrow a lot more. It leads into homing pretty well by catching jumps or bypassing airdodges (and does like 1% more).

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't think there's any amount of charging that would let you beat it. I'm about 90% confident of this.

Or to put it another way, I would wager my left nut on this but not my life.
Non-full ones can be defeated by spin charge. I usually do 3-5tap charges, so hah.

And if you're scared for your life, then I guess you can drop a spring on it.

Speed Demon 64

Smash Rookie
First of all, I think that Sonic is a great character. He is one of my mains. I find that most of the things that TheMagicalKuja said in his guide was true, however, he didn't talk about using spin charge/spin dash effectively. What I do is a pretty good and annoying tactic. I use spin charge if I'm a few character lengths away, then use a tap jump as soon as I make contact with the enemy, then use an airial to fit the situation. Using up or forward works the best. This is a pretty well known tactic, yet I still don't see a lot of Sonic players using it. It is his only attack combo I know of that can do about %30. (%35 if you do spin dash, but harder to pull off succesfully) I also use the up smash while in a dash to do a smash attack and still move a little. Trust me, it is unpredictible, and does significantly more damage than the basic slow roll. (Dash attack for those of you who don't play Sonic games) It can also KO an opponent if they are high enough in damage. I hope this is useful to someone, but the up smash in the middle of a dash is kind of hard to pull off. And if you use this too much or spam it, it will lose its unpredictibility, and will become less effective. So use it appropriatley!!!

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
the range of the homing would be a useful thing to add.
i've done some testing and atm the range as best i can describe is almost exactly half the length of Final Destination. I just sat at the edge and slowly pushes the opponent further and further away. This is the length i got to...
so yer. 1/2 FD.
wud b useful to know so u know when u wanna go for them or just fake one out with the 45 below the horizontal (uses not gr8 but hey, mindgames i guess :()

@speed demon- yer its a flippin gr8 combo.. done around 26 % damage which is a heck of alot for sonic.. :)

also for the range of the homing i shud add that it goes for all angles around sonic. so if u r about half fd above ur opponent u will hit etc etc... just so thats cleared up just in case some1 asks.

Speed Demon 64

Smash Rookie
You're right Greenstreet, the combo does do about 26%. But you can easily start juggling your opponent when using this combo. So after you use the air attack, then 2nd jump and do an uair, then do spring jump(make sure the spring DOESN'T hit them) then do a dair. The whole thing does around 45% which is a lot of damage for a single combo. This is rather hard to successfuly pull off, but the reward is a damaged foe.(litterally because they have more damage, but also psycologically because they will not know what else you can do and they don't know when you will do it again) Sorry, I know my comments are rather long, but again, I do hope that this will be useful to someone trying to become better with Sonic.

Tenki

Smash Hero
First of all, I think that Sonic is a great character. He is one of my mains. I find that most of the things that TheMagicalKuja said in his guide was true, however, he didn't talk about using spin charge/spin dash effectively. What I do is a pretty good and annoying tactic. I use spin charge if I'm a few character lengths away, then use a tap jump as soon as I make contact with the enemy, then use an airial to fit the situation. Using up or forward works the best. This is a pretty well known tactic, yet I still don't see a lot of Sonic players using it. It is his only attack combo I know of that can do about %30. (%35 if you do spin dash, but harder to pull off succesfully) I also use the up smash while in a dash to do a smash attack and still move a little. Trust me, it is unpredictible, and does significantly more damage than the basic slow roll. (Dash attack for those of you who don't play Sonic games) It can also KO an opponent if they are high enough in damage. I hope this is useful to someone, but the up smash in the middle of a dash is kind of hard to pull off. And if you use this too much or spam it, it will lose its unpredictibility, and will become less effective. So use it appropriatley!!!
This post has been bothering me for a while now. Most good players will dodge as they see you running or approaching (whether it's for upsmash or coming in with a spindash combo), and up-smash leaves you open for quite a bit, allowing them to punish you if you miss.

full charged ground-based combo:
10% from roll hit
7% from jump hit
9% from U-air, 11% from N-air, 10-14% from F-air, 13 % from B-air.

However, the jump attack tends to knock opponents who DI in a bad trajectory from Sonic so that they end up being sent too far forward or too far backwards for an aerial followup.

Most of the time, I just go from the roll attack straight to the aerial, and at the most it does like 23.

I only really use it for disruptor combos or attacking people as they're getting up. Or for doing the B-air finisher at higher %'s.

Also, your:
Spindash combo>U-air> double jump U-air> spring> D-air is escapable.

Your opponent can airdodge on the double jump U-air, as well as after you use the spring.

Aerial Spin Charge (air down-B)'s combo is alot easier to pull off and almost guarantees the 16-18 damage from the spindash before you do the aerial. An un-stale ASC does 18 on a double hit, while popping your opponent up nicely for an aerial followup.

Combos don exits1

So yeah. Here's the simple combo:
ASC = Aerial Spin Charge
SD = Spin-Dash (the ground portion)
SDJ = Spin-Dash Jump (does damage)

ASC [hit]> ASC [hit 2]> double jump+Aerial

F-air: 28-35 damage
N-air
: 29-32 damage
U-air: 27-30 damage
B-air: 31-34 damage

Please refer to the side-B/down-B mechanics thread for more information `.`;

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
sometimes i shake my head when i read people say a character is good, then they say it's one of thier mains, like that's a legitamate reason. :urg:

DK2

Smash Apprentice
Hey thanks for the tips this stuff is really helpful for my next I might go up against. But still Sonic is freaking sweet on Brawl.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Side Taunt: Spam it.

Nothing will be more grating than to hear Sonic's American voice shout "YOU'RE TOO SLOW YOU'RE TOO SLOW" over and over again. It's the best thing to anger your foe or interrupt Link/Zelda make out sessions. SPAM IT. And even if you're not playing that version or too weeaboo for it, the running taunt just looks too **** cool. USE IT DAMMIT.
This is sig-worthy...to the profile!

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
How do you guys get past an edgehogging GaW? I keep running into one of his smash attacks or the turtle. I used a midair Side-B and got over the turtle once, and I thought that would work pretty well, but I haven't been able to replicate it.

Top Bottom