• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kong Kollege: Diddy Kong Tactical Discussion

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I've gotten in the habit of WDing out of shield. But when I'm really panicking I always aerial OOS. Definitely bad yeah.

I stopped playing with music because I thought it was actually ruining my focus and made me too crazy due to fast music and stuff, but I'm gonna do that again to see if it actually helps.

fair is antiair king

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
"Fixed a bug where the sound effect for Diddy's shades breaking would play whenever he was hit after the shades were already broken"

What the **** is this? how long has diddy had secret shade taunts? >.>

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Looks like the status where you can't throw an item in your hand in the air doesn't only apply to Diddy. Charizard can do an aerial with it in his hand during downB. Wonder how well this applies to some chars.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Got 3rd at small PM tourney. Beat TheGoodDoctor and ORLY, and then lost to Kels and ORLY in LF. Kels then beat ORLY and won. I forgot they buffed Up-smash's hits connectivity or somethin but I think that was helpin with spacies, I always CP skyworld for them if they didn't ban it. I remember Disqo sayin FD was good against Fox(?) but that does not hold true fox requires a stage to gimp him or platforms to DA Up-smash off of so idk what stage would be best besides skyloft. Diddy can pry handle most MUs, but otherwise I recommend DK/Squirtle for Falcon and D3/MK for Fox or Falco: and then idk about Marth or Sheik but I think Diddy can takem both though but I so far just went DK for'em and he might be able to take Marth but pry not Sheik so even though I've heard and sometimes seen you guys sayin Marth and Sheik are horrible for Diddy I haven't tried it since 2.5 diddy but I'm gonna pry go'em unless I get a better MU in my head to go for'em (I heard Squirtle also gets beat by'em but I think he could pry handle'em too if they don't know how to beat withdraw but idk how much compared to Diddy, Ike gets beat by Sheik and goes around even with marth. ZSS might do okay vs them. I don't try Ike vs kel's spacies since he's played metroid and vro a lot) Also wouldn't mind tips on Diddy vs Ness.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Just lame it out against ness, don't get grabbed as disqo said. You pretty much out prioritize everything ness has besides fair. Barrage his recovery with projectiles till he cries.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Diddy vs fox on FD was good when we had 2.5/2.6 nanas.

Vs ness: don't get grabbed, avoid pkfire
Yeah I don't know how to analyze the differences of that change, how does that work out to make the MU different/worse; especially when I thought they're more potent with the trip or something?

anymore tips on ness, should I be going for grabs myself or something? What's the consensus of what throws to use, especially with this up-air change, should I always do up-throw on spacies and d-throw on everyone else?
Just lame it out against ness, don't get grabbed as disqo said. You pretty much out prioritize everything ness has besides fair. Barrage his recovery with projectiles till he cries.
Once he completes the PKT2 on himself I think both nanners and peanuts got beat by it, wonder if you like had both hit at the same time if it'd work lol. Otherwise before he gets to hit himself that's pry the best thing is projectiles, but I remember Oracle just suggesting to go out there and gett'em more than projectiles but that was when his side-b could travel further

Also does port selection determine stage spawn point? That could matter for stages with platform spawns for beginning game DA runoffs

Last edited:

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Stage appearance is pretty random.

Our 2.6 nanas smacked smacies super hard. Unlike being able to combo like we do in 3.0, bananas had a KB that was like, weight or fall speed based, or something. So hitting a spacie was more of a surprise that they couldn't tech on reaction more often than not. Plus if they got hit near the ledge, it hit em pretty hard

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I almost lost to a good Ness at last week's Xan.

Pick a flat stage. Make Ness's methods of approaching very straight forward and punishing him for what he does will be that much easier. Don't fall for his fake movements. Hold a banana and fake him out, wait for him. Avoid PK fires. You'll be fine. Remember that since bananas clash and Ness has a lot of large disjointed and active hitboxes he can power through your tosses and approach that way. Bait him out.

Also worth noting that your items can make good shields vs pk fire since they're able to clash with the projectile.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
And as a last note, heads up; pretty sure Diddy's upb is bugged (yet again). If you hold back while at a certain angle to sweetspot the ledge (50-70 degree trajectory it seems), despite touching the ledge for nearly the entire sweetspot duration of it, Diddy won't grab the ledge at all. I've tried over and over. It keeps happening.

This is definitely the cause of a few BS deaths I've had here and there.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So hitting a spacie was more of a surprise that they couldn't tech on reaction more often than not. Plus if they got hit near the ledge, it hit em pretty hard
So what stage would u recomend besides Skyloft vs Spacies or each in particular
Remember that since bananas clash and Ness has a lot of large disjointed and active hitboxes he can power through your tosses and approach that way. Bait him out..
No comprende, so I don't rely on camping him out?

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
So what stage would u recomend besides Skyloft vs Spacies or each in particular

No comprende, so I don't rely on camping him out?
Yes you do, remember Diddy is good at baiting and punishing, see him approaching raw with aerials and kill him for it. Harass at range with nutsacks on a no platform stage and if there are platforms don't bust nuts too much. He can't deal with Diddy o ssomething like fd. BAN SMASHVILLE AND DRACULA STAGE. He gets way too many recovery options there. Avoid using forward glide toss recklessly due to Ness's hard to predict movements. You do not want to get Ness DJC/Lucas river dance/Yoshi djc naired because you thought they wouldn't just juke.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Baaack in my day we had to figure out Easter Eggs for ourselves!

Looking at the Apex pools I immediately see 4 Diddy's: Disqo, Boss, Bladewise and myself.

Disqo vs Jolteon should be hype.
Boss vs Oracle should be hype.
Bladewise vs Vanguard should be hype.
Myself vs Axe should be hype.

Anyone else I'm missing? I honestly don't know too many Diddy players (we're a rare breed I know) so sorry if I missed one.

Definitely wanna play you guys and watch (and hype up) your good sets. Really really eager to see how you guys play this funky munky.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
****, I don't know to cheer for with Guru vs Axe. I'll be watching the stream as much as I can, good luck you guys.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
If junebug is going, he's a diddy. If guys going, he's a diddy. I'm pretty sure we'll see plenty others as well. He's becoming kinda popular

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
On the plane to NY hype train oooooooooooo.
I mean....using rocket barrels to NY hype train ooooooooooo. Shout outs to Funky Kong for the fly ride

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Good ****. The NY crew and I just got here. They're still setting up so we're just practicing in our rooms. Sooooo ready!

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Oh **** guru you knocked axe into losers? good ****.

Grats to Disqo on beating jolteon in pools, good luck against sethlon

melonmonkey

Smash Rookie
Hey all, figured this thread needed some spicing up. I used to be an ivy main before they nerfed him, and now I'm a 4/10 diddy main. I finally consider myself good enough to kind of know what I'm talking about, so here I am to contribute to the discussion.

Anyway, thoughts on the shiek matchup? I feel like her needles hit a bunch of our good options and engagements end up unfavorable against her long legs and arms.

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Yes it is possible. Mr Guy over here is a good example because he found a way to AGT a shot peanut if you are quick enough.

Good job at APEX overall guys. I'm really sorry I couldn't make it because I really wanted to meet you guys. I attended a Round Robin tourney this weekend with about 10-12 people from the San Antonio scene and placed 2nd overall. I got some pretty good vids against some solid players so I'll link to them if anyone is interested. I really feel like Diddy can go in on Peach and Ganon in particular. Marth seems to be in our favor whereas Fox is a tricky one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcHL...st=PLH2pxgOx7XCWS2dTULyKTIVk_VF5ZMTPU&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ku...st=PLH2pxgOx7XCWS2dTULyKTIVk_VF5ZMTPU&index=2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KZK...st=PLH2pxgOx7XCWS2dTULyKTIVk_VF5ZMTPU&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBls...t=PLH2pxgOx7XCWS2dTULyKTIVk_VF5ZMTPU&index=12

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Guru and I did a Bo5 set at apex. Game 5, last stock last hit, the man pokes my shield with an up smash on ps1 while its transforming. Hardly respectable, run it back.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Guru and I did a Bo5 set at apex. Game 5, last stock last hit, the man pokes my shield with an up smash on ps1 while its transforming. Hardly respectable, run it back.
COME AT ME, BRO KONG

Disqo and I probably have the best "how we met" experience. Eli, Strong Bad and I just randomly break out into the DK Rap a cappella and Disqo jumps in and joins us in song like 3 seconds later. We start talking immediately afterward lol. Krazy Kong mains, man!

Apex was a truly amazing experience. Was a real eye-opener not only as a Diddy player but also as his main dev. I'm even more determined to step up my game and push the character's limits even further.

I got a bunch of money matches recorded on AZProjectMelee's setup so once he uploads em I'll link em here.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Disqo and I probably have the best "how we met" experience. Eli, Strong Bad and I just randomly break out into the DK Rap a cappella and Disqo jumps in and joins us in song like 3 seconds later. We start talking immediately afterward lol. Krazy Kong mains, man!
Eli and SB both got destroyed though lol

Top Bottom