• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kong Kollege: Diddy Kong Tactical Discussion

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Soooo who's going to Apex? Hoping to see a bunch of high-placing Diddy's (or at least making it out of pools lol), and I'd love to do some Diddy-o's and double Diddy team matches with you guys.
I would absolutely love to go to APEX but unfortunately it's not in the cards for me this year. I'd really like to meet/play with you Guru.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I wanted to go and tag along with the other AZ people going, but flights from AZ were way too expensive for me on my college budget. I'd also have to get it off from work which is almost impossible, I requested the Kings of Cali weekend off 3 months in advance and got declined. I wouldn't place well at apex but I'd love to watch all the great players in person. Good luck to everyone that goes.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I finally learned how to instant Peanut AGT, it came into my mind to use Z instead of C-stick like I normally do for AGTs. I think continued exploration of peanut banana options will help me with the confidence/muscle memory to make super hype set ups without having to think too much about them on the spot. I enjoy how well diddy just sort of... happens when I play him, like the movement and neutral game just feel natural and I have more time to think about whats going on in the match.

Any new techs or options that are possible now due to the earlier airdodge cancel window on popgun? I'm not 100% familiar with all the old options so pretty much everything is new to me.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I just picked up Diddy because I liked bananas and he's doing super well for me. I really do love his moveset and that fair... It is also making me a lot better at wavelanding to pick up bananas and you can do really cool continued combos with them, dash attack and z.

Is it possible to AGT a shot peanut?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Yeah, because the popgun is air dodge cancel-able so early you pretty much just have to air dodge forward and press a/z to catch it, and if you want to instantly toss it again you should press a/z(Whichever you didn't catch it with) immediately after. Make sure you do this when short hopping forward as well. Spider Mad has some vids of diddy tech but I can't find them.

Edit: you actually only need to press a/z/c-stick once to get the throw as the air dodge itself catches it. I just have the habit of pressing 2 to make the window easier to get.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Yeah I got down forward down pretty well. Also been working on some of the ledge popgun>agt stuff with a banana on the ledge. I have a pretty easy and fast set up for the situation when edge guarding so practicing it is fun and not too difficult. Not much else I can do to practice between smash fests, I'm home for break so I'm a decent distance from my practice partner now.

I love this character.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Good ****, kongrades. Vids of any tournament sets would be cool to watch.

There haven't been any tournaments in my area for 3.0 yet. Apex seems to be the next one for me. Such sad face.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Longest tourney ever. I got absolutely destroyed by okamis sheik and aeros fox. My melee fundamentals are seriously lacking.

I timed out a Mario player on the stream too :3

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure where I placed at Forte this weekend, but I feel like I leveled up TONS in the fundamentals department. Also that tourney was stacked as ****. This stupid monkey finally has all he needs to be successful.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Now dis is a fast didday, I remember bladewise's matches from the time he fought Gimpy waaaay back, dude is great. If I could move like this I'd be so swaaag

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I actually wanted to say something about that. Coming from melee, maining fox, I pretty much constantly move around and wavedash off platforms and such, just keeping mobile. My movement looks pretty similar to bladewises, but with glide tosses and such. What I've been trying to work on while watching videos of you guys is to stop moving pointlessly and just try to control space in an inteligent manner, something I think you guys coming from brawl diddy understand a lot better.

jtm94

Smash Lord
Been playing Diddy for a few weeks and I really love his arsenal of moves and banana/peanut AGT shenanigans. He is super fun for me to play and I don't feel forced to play him any kind of specific way.

How does one deal with sonic though? Seeing as he has pretty sufficient movement to dodge peanuts and can roll over bananas without consequence.

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Honestly you can take comfort in knowing that you basically beat all of his attacks with Nair and Bair. You can't really catch sonic, so you more or less have to punish bad spacing or approaches. Nanners beat his spin attacks btw.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
You have to keep constant pressure on sonic with bananas. Aim at throwing them at sonic during spins, as sonics usually start repeating the spin approaches once they get flustered.

jtm94

Smash Lord
I pretty much threw out Nairs to beat homing attacks, and sideB kicks seemed to beat out spin attacks.
I will work on it all more, thanks!

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Something I realized no one's experimented with is Z dropping a banana and doing an aerial right after. In Brawl/B+ you'd catch it, since you could catch items with aerials, but since you won't, you can cover yourself when coming down on someone's shield from above this way.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I've play around a little bit with it, its fun to do a deep nair after a z-drop on shield and then start jabbing/tilting/general pressuring the shield. If they stay in shield long enough for the banana to bounce and then hit them again, its a trip. if they act out of shield you can punish it, all depending on how the opponent reacts while under quasi-pressure.

I find that just Jabbing the shield while the banana trips them is an amazing way to let the salt commence. People will soon realize that potassium is the best salt substitute.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Zdrop cover. Zdrop pressure. Gorgeous.

So if an opponent DIs inwards on side grab, it combos into upb. At earlier percents, you can also hit with nair, upsmash, utilt. No jump needed on the nair either.

At super low percents for spacies, shooting peanut gun if they DI away resets them. At higher percents, its a free fair

Also experimenting with doing sideB kick offstage to set up better edgeguards on fox

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
For some Anti Spacie Technology, use the run off shortened side-B kicks (or the hump if you want cheese and humiliation) to counter those predicatable side-b sweetspots. Z drop is a great way to bait a shield for grabs or a diddy hump btw.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Just uair off sideb grab, it hits spacies and falcon easy at low percents for another grab -> uthrow -> sideB/downB/whatever iirc

Then again that's if they DI wrong lul

I usually just waveland off it towards them since most people DI it away, follow up.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
, it looks like if you get a good grab-box while diddy is 180 degrees horizontal you'll be able to grab him out of it. It would be a weird interaction, and I'm not sure how well grab priority would help.

Top Bottom