• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kong Kollege: Diddy Kong Tactical Discussion

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
move faster and start using peanut gun WL on-stage in tandem with bananas rather than cancelling it everytime, I can't see all the fake out potential doing that when you never show to release it
You mean keep the naner while zoning with nuts? I could stand to camp chars like MK a bit harder.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I don't think moving faster is the problem, when I'm on my game I think I'm one of the faster Diddys I've watched play. I just need to be less predictable and ****.

I fought bstuck and was doing really well.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
I feel like you can camp every character a little harder. Realistically, we shouldn't be approaching unless its a mixup, bait, or a high chance of getting the grab or aerial

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Dude, trust me, tripping on hit is a HUGE improvement. I love stale rock bananas, but with the trip, we can keep extensive combos/damage/pressure constantly while transitioning between putting our opponent in the air and the ground.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
You mean keep the naner while zoning with nuts? I could stand to camp chars like MK a bit harder.

I don't think moving faster is the problem, when I'm on my game I think I'm one of the faster Diddys I've watched play. I just need to be less predictable and ****.

I fought bstuck and was doing really well.
That and just use the waveland more like if you were playing Wolf, especially to grab any of the opponent's land bananas. There's also FH Peanut to WL on platforms on BF stages, with the AD cancel timer made earlier he can probably do it on a lot of stages now.

Do you want to have a move faster contest? I kind of don't blame you though, the hard press air dodge doesn't let people reach their full potential in APM of Wavedashes. Do you want a BF transversement Banana Peanut gun WL WJ Wavebounce AGT'off?

Dude, trust me, tripping on hit is a HUGE improvement. I love stale rock bananas, but with the trip, we can keep extensive combos/damage/pressure constantly while transitioning between putting our opponent in the air and the ground.
Sounds fun but I always look at why they changed it in the first place

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'm gunna miss that semi-spike angle when you get the nice nanner hit near the ledge, but this will make extended tech chases so much easier.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Boss is a super smart player.

I'll miss smackin people offstage with bananas too. Especially when people miss the tech and airdodge offstage. FREE STOCKSSSS

I feel like diddy is at his best when you mix banana play and normals constantly.

Poppinfresh

Smash Rookie
I feel like Nair is a really powerful approach on fastfallers, but it seems like the best frames to hit the opponent are the first few. It feels like I need to hit the Nair deep, leaving me next to my opponent and ready to be grabbed. Fox decreases the punishability of his shffl'd aerials with a shine and a jump cancel. Is there a way to increase the safety of Nair? Or to apply presseure after Nair? Is a simple jab quick enough? I played brawl and am still new to the mechanics of M.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
Sup Kongs? I play a lot of characters and haven't really settled on a main yet, and Diddy has always intrigued me. His style seems pretty dense though, sometimes I don't use any bananas or peanuts bc I'm just absorbed with his awesome tilts, aerials and dash attack. Other times I'm all projectile. Last night, I saw on the Xanadu stream a Diddy by the name of Guy, he looked filthy. I really liked that he would pick up a banana, jump and reverse pull the second, reverse the Popgun (so in the same direction) and airdodge up to AGT the first banana forward.
Seems like bananagins are a tough thing to explain, I imagine I just need to practice tossing them all over to get the understanding of their uses down?

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I feel like Nair is a really powerful approach on fastfallers, but it seems like the best frames to hit the opponent are the first few. It feels like I need to hit the Nair deep, leaving me next to my opponent and ready to be grabbed. Fox decreases the punishability of his shffl'd aerials with a shine and a jump cancel. Is there a way to increase the safety of Nair? Or to apply presseure after Nair? Is a simple jab quick enough? I played brawl and am still new to the mechanics of M.

I'm pretty sure the only way to make nair safe on shield is if the shield knockback makes them hit a banana, or you cross them up and end up behind them. Or you hit luigi's shield.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
Both legs and one arm start behind Diddy, and the hitboxes are all on the ends of his limbs. So actually deep is not the best, try hitting with the back of it first. Use RAR or crossups

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
You basically want the ending hits instead of the first frames. Chances are if you're playing a fox, you'll be using nair as more of a mixup option cover rather than an approach, or just to keep them in the air. You want fox to do most of the approach attempts so you can bat him with bananas and force him into another situation

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
As for you flush, bananegins come to you when you wildly experiment with diddy.
Our resident mad scientist would be Guy, as I'm more into the sideB antics

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Diddy retribution in 3.0

We shall have TOURNEY RESULTS MY BRETHEREN!!!!
PLACINGS!!!!!

I NOW PRONOUNCE THIS DIDDY KONG COUNTRY

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I think the biggest thing I realized is gonna hit me is that DA's hits nearly always connect fully now on hit. It should make DA offstage pretty amazing. A lot of the time when I go for it they just fall right out of it on the first or second hit, so I punished myself for trying it despite hitting.

If all the hits connect it's a free upB I'm pretty sure. Only thing about that is you don't always get them on the right side with it since Diddy can go behind them with DA.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Boss did this a lot, and he made it to GF against JCaesar just from tactical dashdancing.
You mean this kind of thing from Boss?
DD works wonders, pretty universal back-bone of Smash.
With a Banana? That's fun too, but if you're a 'fast Diddy' then it better have a lot of DD going on...

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
The changes make me so happy.

No time to mess around with him till thurday afternoon though.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Love that weak side-b is now strong side-b so I don't have to perform the stupidly strict input to get adequate distance! (I remember Disqo)

It says you can control the distance by holding back, that might affect my pre-DI if I get hit by something quickly but I think it'll be fine.

Also lol at Peanut gun having an even earlier AD cancel? Wasn't it lowered in 2.6? Haven't played yet but that's possibly gonna open up more stuff I think would be possible now; unless it also somehow ruins some things if the cancel window also thus now ends sooner like certain Platform AGT'ing off SHs/FHs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZaBPp5ZF0#t=116 this is a bad example cus it'd be do-able faster but with certain FHs if the windows shorter then, well, he'd probly reach the apex of his FH by the time peanut gun would uh.. man I didn't get any sleep from staying up last night lol

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Donkey Diddy Kong Country

The Airdodge window for Peanut Popgun is overall expanded; you can AD 2 frames earlier.

I'll be updating the Cranky Guide with specifics on 3.0 changes within a couple days. But til then, feel free to ask about changes here.

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
Hoooly Diddy feels soo strong now. Side B grab attack links into Nair really easily, bananas forcetripping, small buffs across the board.

I love it.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
So a thrown peanut will cause almost the same effect as our old bananas. I got an thrown peanut to banana to fsmash kill on a Mario.

Also, with sideB now, don't trick yourself into spamming it Cuz it looks like itll grab far. Its still a commitment. In my opinion, every diddy should be leveling up their banana game now, before people start learning how to deal with it.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Yeah a common mistake I see many Diddys make is carelessly throwing out SideB's thinking it's easy to land the grab now with the set distance. It's still negatively disjointed like similar forward-moving moves and thus easily beatable by most moves.

I'm finding the kick to be really great at closing distance alongside peanuts/nanners against projectile-heavy players like Link, Tink, Peach and Mario. Long duration along with the ability to vary your distance more reliably makes it stuff projectiles pretty well.

Marth is such a frustrating matchup for me as Diddy :( I feel like out of all matchups I have to play uber defensive with bananas and peanuts against Marth because he easily swats all my approaches and can rack up serious percent from one grab via juggling. Granted the combo opportunity is great out of landing a banana hit now but getting in there at all is bothersome to the point where I just play super patient footsies baiting an attack to go in with a banana toss. May just be a personal mental block I have against the character, I dunno. Roy may be a similar problem but I'd need more experience against him (and the new cast overall).

Top Bottom