• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kong Kollege: Diddy Kong Tactical Discussion

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
So what new characters will you guys be playing when 3.0 drops?
I'm pretty hyped for Samus, I'm a pretty big metroid fanboy as well

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'll probably play Olimar a lot, I felt his kit would have flown nicely into melee and the differentiation of the pikmin will make it really fun.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I juiced the apples...
Screw crisps...

BCUZ BANANA

I like to play everyone...

Edit: Bcuz Banana

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Man, just got PM working on Dolphin. Wish Fraps didn't push my laptop's limits and make it lag. If not I'd be throwing up so many videos, the quality is so ****ing good.

Smash on keyboard actually is really ****ing awesome. Waiting on my GC adapter.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
JCaesar´s Diddy is tight! Just saw some matches from 3.0 Diddy. And it seems he can actually combo.

Also, just turned Daddy Kong a few hours a go! :)

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Grats.
Otherwise, Diddy doesn't need to combo, his too hawt, check out them bananas.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Alright kongs. Let's get down to the walnuts.

With 3.0, and our small group dedicated to helping diddy take over the world, we should start discussing matchup knowledge to further each other and the rest of our future kongs.

Personally, I think our most influential matchups that really test diddy are:
Fox
Marth
Snake
Link
Toon Link
Mario
Luigi
Wario
Zelda(****in **** dude.)
Ivysaur
Squirtle

I picked these because they all have something that deals with bananas or gives us trouble because of our combo weight and fall speed better than the others in the cast so far.

Lets start with a general consensus on who to analyze first, maybe make a seperate thread and OP with links to our discussion.
I move for marth first.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Marth!
Quote from a while ago, but basically...

1) Don't act first if you don't HAVE to (if you're afraid, and act out of fear, you did what Marth wants you to do)

2) What do you do to deal with getting Bananas BACK if Marth takes them? He can easily (see post below)

1) A topic that everyone here has discussed thoroughly, and I'm not sure I could ever elaborate on it enough, is the act of non-action. Being passive and near, Diddy is still threatening. Akin to Pika and Sonic, who people have been struggling severely with too. Trying to do too much has proven to both be ineffective in the game itself, as well the consistent game-plan across the player-base. Funny enough.

This is just something to be actively mindful for. (actively thinking of things like air resets, for instance) It's there, and fairly free, but not if there's a commitment to something, because commitment itself is what doesn't allow the opportunity at ALL.

2) For buffs/whatever, I've been trying to figure out how to insure Banana's don't screw Diddy over. Like...
There are some characters that have such defensive camping mobility, yet remain threatening, and during this, they can get a Banana fairly easily. The similar issue Marth has with Diddy/Pika/Sonic, is the issue Diddy/Pika/Sonic can have with Marth. Stale-mates in neutral, in a way.

There are some characters that can easily swat and catch Banana's in a single motion, or make great use of them if they ever get their hands on them. Marth again for an example, but classic stale-mate-pressure characters like Sheik/Pit can catch and use them well too.

What's the best way of stopping this? Say even, you lose a stock, they grab one waiting, and you don't catch them with offense immediately. So it's a reset to neutral, and they throw it at you.

I've been trying U-Tilt, and snagging one with Pivot U-Tilt is flashy, but tough to position well without being in danger, especially if they're aware of your ability to Pivot them, that it swats them, and they prepare for it (essentially talking developed-meta here)

F-Air/B-Air/other aerials are slow and committing. Doing things like that is what I want OPPONENTS to try when I throw it at them from Neutral, so I'd rather not do them AS Diddy.

I contemplated that replacing his U-Air (which I'm not a fan of) with some quick Tail-use attack that just taps the air in front of him lightly, would be a great counter-counter-Banana tool. Or even moving his N-Air to U-Air and making his N-Air a quick single spin like DK64 with his tail.

Otherwise, what's Diddy's counter-Banana meta-game like/where's it going?

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
You kidding me? Those chars can give diddy ****

Counter banana game is just somethimg you have to work on. Wave dashing handles a lot of issues. Personally, when someone else has a banana, I feel fine. I know their options, so I can act accordingly. Honestly, I think its chars that can attack through/out projectile bananas are more dangerous than them being thrown back at us.

Which is why I think marth does well in this area. He can get in, and then **** us up due to our weight/fall speed

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I just end up neglecting Banana's against Marth. If I'm Marth, I love when Diddy throws them, since it's almost advantageous for me if they try. As Diddy, I could get away with it, but I know it's only because the Marth isn't me/someone who knows what they're doing around them...

Do shot Peanuts clash with tossed Bananas?

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Yeah they do. Everything clashes.

Actually I just played a really good marth, and I kept bananas out as much as possible. Even if marry can fair through them, we would be worse off if we didn't have them. Marry with a banana is counter productive to his play style, so him picking one up shouldn't even be a problem. In fact, that should prompt you to jump in

Bryonato

Green Hat
Started playing a little Diddy the other day. As a Brawl Diddy main I was a little overwhelmed. Not really sure where to start with this character because it seems like he has a tooooooooooooooooon of depth (sorta intimidating). When I first picked up PM I essentially dropped him for Ness. I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before but after maining him in Brawl what do I need to know in regards to PM?

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Well. I'm also from brawl. So naturally, you'll be gravitated towards heavy banana use. This isn't bad, but you'll need to learn your best options when they're not immediately available to you.
I could tell you all the differences but the next update is on the way, and I don't wanna give you mixed info. You're best bet is to wait until 3.0, so you'll be up to speed.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I meant Zelda is the char that I'd put more than once on there, basically.

But for me it would be everyone, since I lose to everyone all the time apparently.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Well. I'm also from brawl. So naturally, you'll be gravitated towards heavy banana use. This isn't bad, but you'll need to learn your best options when they're not immediately available to you.
I could tell you all the differences but the next update is on the way, and I don't wanna give you mixed info. You're best bet is to wait until 3.0, so you'll be up to speed.
That's what I was thinking too. Appreciate the response nonetheless.

DIDDY KONG COLOR TIER LIST? (All but the original suck imo but I use the purple)
I used purple in Brawl but I use blue in PM.

God tier: Purple/Original

Cool Tier: Blue/Yellow-White

Meh tier: Green/Pink

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Looool I love Dixie Kong so I usually use Pink.
Green just stands out to me so i use it every now and then.
Dixie Kong for life tho. Lanky Kong fur would be OP. With the light blue clothes. Not a model hack, just the texture. Make it happen!

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I've also noticed that with Marth.
Once getting a couple just... somewhere on the stage... is a great shift in game-flow. It's getting them there that I'm afraid of. If someone SH PKF's or SHLs me when I'm Marth, I love it, as does any Marth really. With Diddy, it's the same idea, just has more of a process for Marth to work with in regards to getting me in sticky spots.
I've found just Down-B so they go towards him, twice in a row, is the best option. Nice when it happens, but still, I'm not a fan of them in terms of the semi-universal use they can provide with the abundance of diversity in play in other match-ups.
Marth is lame, makes me lame too.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
move faster and start using peanut gun WL on-stage in tandem with bananas rather than cancelling it everytime, I can't see all the fake out potential doing that when you never show to release it

Bryonato

Green Hat
My main problem is that when I get bananas out I have no idea wtf to do with them. In Brawl Diddy made sense to me but PM moves so much faster I just don't know how to utilize them.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Well, its been leaked that bananas will indeed trip on hit like brawl. The trip can still be teched, but at least now bananas will have a stronger metagame

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Still don't know how I feel about that, need more puff FFAs to enlighten my mind

Top Bottom