• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kong Kollege: Diddy Kong Tactical Discussion

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
The only reason I mentioned a change to the U-Air (or moving N-Air) was this.
I contemplated that replacing his U-Air (which I'm not a fan of) with some quick Tail-use attack that just taps the air in front of him lightly, would be a great counter-counter-Banana tool. Or even moving his N-Air to U-Air and making his N-Air a quick single spin like DK64 with his tail.

Otherwise, what's Diddy's counter-Banana meta-game like/where's it going?
To have as a quick aerial disjoint to deal with counter-counter-Banana stuff.

Adding the Tail to the current U-Air as a second hit-box, or to the D-Smash and changing the move entirely, have to serve more purpose in function than 'because Tail'
Especially if you're bringing it up in TACTICAL DISCUSSION!
;)
Be reasonable. Your name doesn't matter here. Everyone playing Diddy is a 'Diddy' in a way.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'd guess somehere in/near norcal, but thats just throwing a dart at a map.

I really hate FD as diddy. I like platforms too much, they make extended juggling safer by allowing for tech chases on them. I try to ban out FD and smashville when I can because I feel that without consistent platforms Diddy's options to even try to reset a situation in the air fall very short. With a platform if you get a hit you can apply pressure by getting closer to the area you sent them without leaving the ground and your grounded options. Often the pressure can force early jumps and then I can throw bananas up to cover one option of movement and try to hit them out of the air with anything. The platforms also help me with the "opportunistic camping" and not getting stuck in pressure.

These are really just general smash things, but i think that diddy benefits more from them than others due, mostly due to having a good projectile and mobility.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I fixed the spelling on that previous post, and organized it a bit. It was pretty messy.
Kelowna, BC, Canada

I'd guess somehere in/near norcal, but thats just throwing a dart at a map.

With a platform if you get a hit you can apply pressure by getting closer to the area you sent them without leaving the ground and your grounded options. Often the pressure can force early jumps and then I can throw bananas up to cover one option of movement and try to hit them out of the air with anything. The platforms also help me with the "opportunistic camping" and not getting stuck in pressure.

These are really just general smash things, but i think that diddy benefits more from them than others due, mostly due to having a good projectile and mobility.
NorCal is fun enough. I could dig it.

Why can't you 'apply pressure by getting closer to the area you sent them without leaving the ground' on FD/SV? If you hit them, you can still force early jumps and cover an option of movement. Are you referring how they give people more 'incentive' to jump because a platform is there to land on?
Interesting how you don't like flat stages, but I'm not sure it makes much sense through your description. haha

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Its not that applying pressure without platforms is impossible, I just enjoy that they allow me to be physically closer to them while pressuring them by standing, thus shortening the time they have to react/plan before they are in range of my attacks. I don't dislike flat stages, I just enjoy the options I have on platformed ones more than the benefits I get from the lack of platforms.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
So I was watching an anime. And the villain is playing chess with the townspeople for sport before killing them. He's reading the rulebooks then shortly mastering the games. His servant states it and the villain replies: "Shogi, Go, Gungi; they all have the same feel in the end. You have a rythym. And once you realize your opponents rythym, you disrupt that rythym. And after that, they begin to play to your rythym"

Sage advice brothers.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Here is some play where AGT rethrow REALLY helps Diddy get around and cover things, I think I demonstrated it well in the third match and a bit in the second with some upward AGTs. Been working on neutral game as much as possible.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/479195444 (First match is at 27:30, I think they forgot to upload this one along with a few others)

Bit more video with some Diddy tricks, later in managed to do two popgun shots offstage along with a few AGTs (starting offstage already, not onstage) without dying.

So, one important thing from that video is you do NOT have to AD downwards in order to AGT down and rethrow the banana mid-air (I DID however AD downwards at around 40s). You can AD in place and still keep up with the banana as you go down. This wasn't very useful to do before since if you AD downwards and AGT it makes you fall too fast to be able to rethrow in time if you're onstage. That's important I believe. I'll have to do some testing.

(This reminds me that at one point I had to beg for AGT to be left in. It was originally a bug that needed extended testing/fixes. Lmao, I used to fly around with it because AGT used to go so far left/right that you could just AGT rethrow the same banana over and over in the air as long as you went left/right, or diagonally.)

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
This also reminds me that, if you're precise enough, this can work (provided the opponent is offstage and you have a banana ready to be picked up):

smash downB (banana flies offstage), jump, instant popgun, AGT your banana TOWARDS the other banana, AGT rethrow it down, popgun, rethrow up, delayed jump + popgun, (if you're on a stage with a wall you can do even more with a walljump/cling here) recover.

How practical this is, not sure. But against slower recoveries I bet this kind of stuff can do work. (Thinking ROB in certain situations, DDD, etc)

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
I have a question for y'all Diddy mains, recently i've been watching Brawl and I saw a Diddy Kong do an infinite with bananas, so I was wondering if this infinite would be possible in Project M( I would assume if done it would require more speed).

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I have a question for y'all Diddy mains, recently i've been watching Brawl and I saw a Diddy Kong do an infinite with bananas, so I was wondering if this infinite would be possible in Project M( I would assume if done it would require more speed).
Fortunately, no. Bananas in PM knock the opponent away quite a bit if they're hit head on, usually at an angle where they can tech off the ground. However slipping on a banana as you walk over it is still in, but you can tech the slip now as well. The infinites are removed completely.

If you tech chase really well, you may still be able to hit them with bananas over and over however.

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
I just watched your stream matches and good **** Guy! Your Diddy is getting much better in the neutral. There are definitely some things I picked up from watching that.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Just some things I picked up from my play at a smashfest last night.
Zdrop to sideB or just Zdrop in general is so abusable but only after you've applied a decent amount of work and mixups in match.

Upthrow when you're near a banana. Throw that **** up at them. This basically increases your ability to follow up when they get to the ground by like 9,001 percent. Because unless they have a ranged attack or an extremely safe on shield option, its a free grab. Otherwise, you can just freestyle that junk

Throw mixups. Throw them offstage of course. But mix in your dthrow sparingly so they DI wrongly and BAM. Kicked in their dumb captain falcon chest.

Offstage peanut to UpB option coverage. If they're far enough offstage, jump out and peanut gun. Hell, use both jumps if you want. If they miss, you charging UpB in their recovery arc will probably hit them, hopefully farther off or into the stage. Art is an explosion. Guess that reference.

Banana dthrow on shield. Unless they just have a spirit bomb sized shield, banana will most likely trip them if they're late in picking an option. Running in with this is a good mixup if they're shielding a lot and they're also used to your sideB approach. Well **** disqo what do I do now? Show them the floor.

Play more DKC. Seriously. This. Massive game improvement.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
DK64 multi-player count?
To be fair, I haven't played a Zelda, Mario, etc game either.
Smash... Dota... HoMM3... MvC2 and GGAC to an extent but more for lulz, and that's about it.
Pokemon Soul Silver? haha

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Here is some play where AGT rethrow REALLY helps Diddy get around and cover things, I think I demonstrated it well in the third match and a bit in the second with some upward AGTs. Been working on neutral game as much as possible.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/479195444 (First match is at 27:30, I think they forgot to upload this one along with a few others)

Bit more video with some Diddy tricks, later in managed to do two popgun shots offstage along with a few AGTs (starting offstage already, not onstage) without dying.

media=youtubeVzN-Uqihh5s/media
Match video is good, only two things you don't utilize now that I see is Wavebounce banana pull and earlier SH Bairs to WL/DJ/Up-air(or any other aerial besides Dair is possible but not practical: SH Bair to Fair/Nair I think is possible but u gotta be frame perfect, and Bair I think comes out later than Up-air so its harder to perform besides not having as good hitbox coverage unless you're going for safe distance rather than a cross-up [don't go for cross-ups if they are known to CC d-smash]). I don't blame you though, going for certain early aerials is risky without 1 frame of buffer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=H7a1U1UfrNw#t=220 3:41

I'll add trick video to playlist soon, I didn't think of wall-jumping back to grab the banana

also here's a snake video I made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cj38yvmOnU not much applies to Diddy but all the item based characters can craft and mold off each other's specifics with enough creativity (Hylians edge tricks for instance made me want to try to find similar stuff for Diddy) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZaBPp5ZF0 ). That's why everyone should be subscribed to the P:M Links/Snake/Peach/ROB forums and watch any of their respective Brawl counter-part tutorial videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQvsf_1JMyE

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
I really dug it. Everything looked uncharacteristically smooth for some reason. I used to get really mad watching your Diddy Guy. Now I'm honestly entertained and impressed.

The barrels looked like they came out a bit quicker but im not positive. The Side-B has me hype and freaking banana kill setups!

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
I was a Zelda player, still am actually (I feel like shes 'auto' though after getting chillindude down to his last stock in a bracket match). I'd much rather pick up diddy, I mean like DKC2.That's it.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
A Convert of the Witch Queen! Bring the fruits, leaves, flowers, insects, eggs, and small reptile delites!

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I like the animation silliness on FoD with things like Samus D-Tilts, even Bananas reflecting/see-through in the floor. So cute.
Dash-A still seems sadface to me. I want to JC it into D-Airs or something SO BAD!
**** hard work, I'm exhausted today. Need to eat more APPLE CRISPS!!!
I mean... bananas...

Top Bottom