• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Video Thread

Massive

Smash Champion
dmac says he's been playing you (and everyone else up there) recently.

He usually outright refuses to play against my kirby, I HOPE YOU'RE MAKING HIM FEEL BAD.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hmmm..
A few things I noticed:
You should tilt more.
Nair isnt very good the way you are using it (its hard for that move to be good lol)

I dont know i'm watching it really early in the morning... But the only otherthing is that your opponents DI was bad, so uthrow->uair could have worked.

Oh and uair more after utilts.

Massive

Smash Champion
This falcon doesn't try to sweetspot, you shouldn't have been able to fsmash him or even connect that bair to kill on those two respective stock. Usual ledgeguards against falcon are jump-off bair or just dtilt poke > ledgehog.

You could've techchased him and regrabbed after dthrow, since he didn't tech roll effectively.

I can't really offer any more advice, because that falcon was mad sloppy and wasn't punishing properly. But for future reference, Falcon's dthrow > knee is guaranteed on kirby and jigglypuff to any % where it'd matter. There is no escape with airdodge and you can only make them miss by using DI mixups/training.

Don't screw with hammer vs falcon. Take his power and chase him off the side with an aerial falcon punch.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I saw your matches. Nice Kirby. It plays basically how I think Kirby should be played for the most part. You have funny fair gimps.

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
Dude RRR you have a pretty awesome Kirby, I especially like your use of Fair, never thought that move could actually be decent...

Also that kirbycide uthrow on JJ was tight as hell. the moment you grabbed the fox I was like DOOO IT!!

Triple R

Smash Lord
Haha, yeah. Fair is a funny move. It doesn't connect in certain situations and others it does. Gotta mess around with it lol. I think I rely on that move too much though. Still have a lot of things to tweek in my gameplay.

Might as well post the singles videos from that tourney. Unfortunately no pools matches. Just me losing to Frootloop and Mattdotzeb in bracket:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgL-0GhOlPs&feature=plcp - vs Frootloop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9TXySJfsk&feature=g-user-u - vs Mattdotzeb

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Not to sound mean as you have done far better than I or pretty much most Kirbys at this points but there were a lot of awful awful decisions against Matt. The most obvious thing was your punishments of his super obvious recoveries. He Phantasms onto stage with no fear and you just dont capitalize as well as you could. The stand out would be game two where he literally phantasms and you jab and utilt missing both. Against spacies you have to be ON that, gimping recoveries is kirby's absolute best option for kills against them and there's no reason to be doing anything other than the super safe stuff like Dtilt and Bair. I think the one that made me saddest was when you punised with a Sourspot Dsmash when you could have just like, dtilted and gotten a stock.

The other big thing was the Bthrow suicide. You got the grab and just sat there for a moment and it gave Matt time to react. Bthrow comes out fast, so fast that most players cant properly react to it and even if they can, if they're falco they will still die. You as well as all kirby players have to be committed to the suicide. If you're even going to attempt it you have to get in the habit of not even thinking about it, just doing it and if you accidentally give them time to react, just give up on it and go with a safer option like Dthrow. What's funny is you actually did it with an Fthrow though im not sure if that was a mistake or not. You got the grab and just went right into it, without giving him time to react. That's what you want to be doing.

Massive

Smash Champion
All this inspiring RRR video makes me want to actually enter a bracket as kirby for once, lol.

One thing I've noticed about your playstyle is that recover to the ledge preferentially over the stage, even when you have plenty of vertical to do otherwise, you end up geting punished for using up-b as your last resort when you could be airdodging on or coming in with a dair/fair/bair and avoiding getting hit entirely or even hitting them.

I'm not saying going for the ledge isn't effective sometimes (it totally is, especially with uair shenanigans), but coming from someone who plays jigglypuff as well, recovering high is almost ALWAYS safer than recovering at edge level.

It's also been my experience that relying on dtilt for ledgeguarding vs falco is a lot better than dsmash, since the knockback is similar and you get out of animation a lot faster. The shorter animation occasionally gives you leeway to jump and bair him if you guess wrong and he goes high instead of low.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
If Kirby can dtilt a recovery, can't he also dair it? I like to go for dairs if I can. If they hit, they lead into follow-up dairs (definite kill). If I guess wrong, I should still have time for a DJ bair or uair.

The other big thing was the Bthrow suicide. You got the grab and just sat there for a moment and it gave Matt time to react. Bthrow comes out fast, so fast that most players cant properly react to it and even if they can, if they're falco they will still die. You as well as all kirby players have to be committed to the suicide. If you're even going to attempt it you have to get in the habit of not even thinking about it, just doing it and if you accidentally give them time to react, just give up on it and go with a safer option like Dthrow. What's funny is you actually did it with an Fthrow though im not sure if that was a mistake or not. You got the grab and just went right into it, without giving him time to react. That's what you want to be doing.
I hate to be that guy, but I distinctly remember bringing up Kirby's bthrow suicide option on these Kirby boards at some point in the past. At that time, my conjecture was soundly rebuffed by the big names here, and I was led to believe that Kirby's bthrow Kirbycide was an awful idea, surpassed in awfulness only by his fthrow. :ohwell:

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Bthrow is still Kirby's 2nd worst throw, and Fthrow is god awful but my point is if you're going to use it, you have to get in the habit of not even thinking about it because the brief instant you spend thinking about it is enough time for your opponent to not die from it. Against floatier characters like Peach and Marth or large recoveries like Puff and Pika Bthrow Kirbycide is still an awful awful idea but against Fox/Falco it can work if a) you're fast on it and b) they have at least some amount of prior damage so they dont just auto fall out of it.

Massive

Smash Champion
Dair is not good for ledgeguarding unless they're already a bit below the stage and you can connect most of the hits, actively forcing them downward. If you dair someone from the stage and only connect 1 or 2 hits (which is not unusual for a ledgeguard dair), they will be out of hitstun well before your animation is over and basically get an unchallenged recovery.

If you're going to ledgeguard a non-vertical recovery with an aerial, use bair.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Well, I can see how they'd get back if you only land one or two hits, but what if you land it early and L-cancel it? What I mean is, dair onstage at the ledge and landing will allow Kirby to recover in time to edgeguard the opponent in time, even if only a few hits connected, kinda like how Falco, Falcon, Ganon, DK, etc. dair onstage to edgeguard and recover from the aerial fast enough to edgeguard again. If only a couple hits connect, the opponent will still be sent downwards and Kirby will be in a better position to dair again or whatever.

Massive

Smash Champion
Well, I can see how they'd get back if you only land one or two hits, but what if you land it early and L-cancel it? What I mean is, dair onstage at the ledge and landing will allow Kirby to recover in time to edgeguard the opponent in time, even if only a few hits connected, kinda like how Falco, Falcon, Ganon, DK, etc. dair onstage to edgeguard and recover from the aerial fast enough to edgeguard again. If only a couple hits connect, the opponent will still be sent downwards and Kirby will be in a better position to dair again or whatever.
Except the hitstun on dair is so very short that they can just hit their recovery again almost immediately. You're basically doing an ineffectual ledgeguard to set up to do the same ineffectual ledgeguard again. Why not do a move that may actually let you ledgehog and take their stock.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yeah, I had a lot of mistakes in my game play. At least there's plenty of stuff to improve on. Always gotta make my movement and attack more precise and tight.

As far as the throw thing goes. That bthrow was an accident. I was trying to dthrow, but I guess I forgot what direction was down :(. The reason I sat there for a sec was not me thinking, it was me trying to get me to dthrow, then a bthrow finally came out. I must have been hitting a bad angle or something. As far as the fthrow you mentioned Reaper, I don't actually remember it specifically but I'm pretty sure I did it on purpose. I "throw" it in there once in awhile :p

@bubbaking - listen to massive lol. Dair isn't the best edgeguard. After you hit with it, 90% of the time you have to prepare something right away to edgeguard again. If you think you have the endurance to keep dairing and having it work, be my guest. It's more a thing of who will mess up first, and frankly it's easier for the kirby to mess up the dair than you think.

Bigglestheman

Smash Apprentice
@bubbaking - listen to massive lol. Dair isn't the best edgeguard. After you hit with it, 90% of the time you have to prepare something right away to edgeguard again. If you think you have the endurance to keep dairing and having it work, be my guest. It's more a thing of who will mess up first, and frankly it's easier for the kirby to mess up the dair than you think.
How can Kirby mess up dair you just have to hit down on the C-stick and it comes out....unless you're hacking! CHEATER! RRR is using illegal mods we might as well ban this man right now!

And here I thought you and :kirbymelee: were close like brothers but you just stabbed him in the back!

RRR vs Kels
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zo4fIuaDJY

RRR vs Frootloop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnbd7vRT87Y

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Uhhhh. I still play this game.........maybe my friend gkinfinity will post some friendlies if I ask him to? Would be fun to hear things about my matches

Triple R

Smash Lord
I just have a habit of rolling a lot. If you're talking about DSF, I have no idea. If I remember correctly we were walling each other out with a lot of dtilts. Probably got impatient and wanted a way to get in.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Posting a couple more matches from a couple pool matches from a tourney: http://smashboards.com/threads/smash-gaming-generations.336691/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhqd1kHp0Fc - Me vs HIM (Marth)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ghK9fOXK8 - Me vs Metriod (Falcon)

Got 4th out of 15 entrants - Lost to Kels then Zelgadis
Got 1st out of 4 teams

Might as well post about this past weekend's tourney too: Mall Brawl 2 - http://smashboards.com/threads/mall-brawl-2.337090/

Got 5th out of 37 entrants - Lost to Frootloop then Zelgadis

Top Bottom