• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Video Thread

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It's actually pretty dumb how she can basically just spam down-smash and dash attack repeatedly because Kirby has no good punish against it. You have to play grounded and go for chip damage while not losing the neutral almost at all or else she gets a million free turnip pulls.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I'm going to HTC Throwdown tomorrow ft Mango, Leffen, M2K, Hungrybox, Colbol, Lucky, PewPewU, Lucky and so on...

Will be bringing my own separate recording set up to record some high level Kirby matches.

Ministry

Smash Ace
i just watched your match vs anson. the last game i was so nervous for you!!. good job. epic clutch. you played neutral very well.

i realized you had problems following up after back throw. his drop airdodge was giving you problems. i thought about the options a lot. if you know hes going to drop low after back throw. would SH hammer be viable. it stays out long and should catch his airdodge onto stage. its better then missing and being offstage with bad position. and if it doesn't send of stage it will still do dmg. just theroy crafting really.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I think reading the airdodge then f-tilting on stage would probably be the optimal choice. He had the option to do raising down-airs from off stage which is super risky for me. Overall it was nerves getting our bad habits to come out.

And I got 33rd place at a national in California. Not bad for going all Kirby.

Ministry

Smash Ace
why would ftilt be better then dtilt. you were missing the dtilt so i dont think the ftilt would of been much different. i think sibe b in the situation could be viable.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Side b is too risky because the sweetspot isn't actually that big. F-tilt is good because it has low recovery and a fast hitbox with good knockback.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
F-tilt and d-tilt are actually almost identical in frame data. D-tilt comes out 1 frame earlier, but f-tilt lags 1 frame less after the hitbox comes out.

And obvious stuff like f-tilt has more knock back; if I miss I can re-whiff; if it lands, it's an easy edge guard.

Anyways, here's the youtube video of my streamed match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mHAeo5Zr8c

Last edited:

Ministry

Smash Ace
in situations where he is constantly tricking you, maybe you should consider different "risky" options, that might work out. since u didnt land 1 dtilt or ftilt in that specific situation. the optimal option isnt always the best

Last edited:

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Good job smiling on stream.

I saw a lot of slow reactions off grabs. Don't give your opponents more time put inputs. You can get at least one pummel at 0-50% if you do a frame perfect up-throw buffer. You can do 2 pummels if at 50%-100% with a frame perfect up-throw buffer. If you notice that your opponents are going to be teching away, up-throw will guarantee no follow ups unless they are landing on platforms. Try mixing up your throws. Down/Back throws are very fast throws that are easier to reaction tech chase. Anticipate get up shine or get up attack and challenge that with d-tilt. D-tilt more in the neutral versus Falco. It feels like you have more control of the game when you dash dance more, however I felt like you didn't get much out of your dash dance besides it distracting you from grab punishing earlier. I saw a lot of unsafe back-airs meaning you are hitting them too high and not fast falling them. You can actually bair to u-tilt on shield to create pressure if your aerials are perfectly timed. Besides that you have a good idea of what to do in the neutral.

Woohoo!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Yeah with the u-throw vs other throws thing, I have the Sheik dilemma where I am worried about going for reaction tech chases with d-throw because if I mess up, I can get punished heavily. That's why I usually just u-throw because even though I can't really follow up, I feel safe and that I'm getting some momentum, while my opponent will feel like I'm breaking their momentum.

I'm aware that I do a lot of sloppy bairs. I think the reason why I am neglecting to fast fall them is because I'm focused more on spacing. But hopefully I can improve my speed too.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
can't falco avoid everything by teching away?
Only with up throw will a follow up be impossible.

Anyways, shameless plug but here we go!

I made a new thread with videos from HTC Throwdown that I recorded off a second hand recording device!

You can check out the smashboards thread here.

Dodger

Smash Ace
Nice going vs. Ansn Cereal Rabbit. When you said second hand recording device I was expecting potato quality. I was pleassantly surprised =).

Man I really want to get a match on stream some day. I'll probably choke super hard, but I love making commentators struggle to find something to say about Kirby xD.

(I made it out of Pools at a Mayhem once, but played my sets off stream unfortunately)

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Falco's tech chase can be covered even DI away, tech roll away. At least at 0% It is pretty frame perfect though

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
It's possible, but not optimal. We can option select and force him to get-up shine or spot dodge and get a second read off of that with d-tilt, regrab, or swallow. Then all of it is like super unsafe so..... IDK :'( Play a different character *cry face*

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
Hmm I wonder if they removed it. I'll look for another link.

Dodger

Smash Ace
Hi guys. So I played on stream at a tourney the other day! It didn't go so well... (I cannot believe I blew the lead in the second game >.< ) but at least now I can get some advice from my fellow Kirby players!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh3xztxBd8E

I know I roll too much. I also need to do a better job of avoiding the thunder.

I know I struggled with edge guards I usually am a bit better at it but in my defense Pikachu is HARD to edge guard.

I was also not prepared for the ledge dash, how should I deal with that? stay back further from the ledge?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
It seems to me you need to work on your movement and putting positional pressure on your opponent. Just playing the game more would be the best thing to do I think. You weren't really putting enough pressure on the Pikachu it looks like.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Honestly rolling too much with Kirby is actually not bad and can be near unpunishable.

In reality spamming rolling isn't bad for like half the cast, as long as you aren't rolling in very predictable ways (e.g. back against ledge or them attacking your shield to bait roll). It can look noobish rolling around but only the fastest reacters can actually punish an unforeseen roll (for top tier rolls = 31-32 frames).

I'd say Kirby's Roll to roll, Roll to spot dodge + something, or roll to attack/grab are pretty amazing and spammable. He doesn't go the furthest with his roll but everything out of his roll is pretty much unreactable and hard to punish (even just roll to crouch can bait a whiff and give you a free running reverse Bair into something or another attack). His small size and roll animation also makes it more effective than most.

I've been experimenting with very fundamental minimalistic types of play recently against the best locals and things like Roll to Ftilt are so fast to come out and recover (only 28 frames on Ftilt, has good early KB, and it does 11 shield stun/damage). When spaced well they can't do anything about it, Roll to uptilts are the most infamous Kirbyism, almost as good but you can't space it really. A lot of people actually get quite annoyed at how consistently it works and even when they know how I'm about to play.

Dodger

Smash Ace
Guys. GUYS! I won a game. ON STREAM! I lost the set, but oh well. I hadn't been to a tourney in several months so I was definitely rusty and hesitant to pull the trigger on some edge guards. Oh and the Fox was an odd duck, preferring to dthrow tech chase over uthrow > uair. Not sure what I was thinking with the fsmashes early in game 1. I blame the rustyness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJV8btXL1vQ

Top Bottom