• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Video Thread

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Seems like it. We get the regular skilled people, the odd newcomer making an honest effort to learn, me being a pain but also trying to get better in my own way and the occasional Pichu or Bowser supremacist looking to argue their main up the tier list.

Maaaaaaaan.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
if you gain the ability to regulate your move spam to more appropriate times and wavedash oos/in general instead of rolling everywhere, your speed and control will improve drastically.

edit:

just play like 2003 sheik vs. pikachu. f-tilt a lot, wd back a lot, d-tilt a lot, etc. jumping is risky when you're both in a neutral stance because his uair *****, his u-smash *****, and his nair is significantly faster than all your aerials (except bair) so he can often stuff your aerials before they come out if he SHFFLs into your space when you're airborne. obv you have to jump to chase/pressure/follow him, but if you're both on the ground, there are usually better defenses in that MU than jump back fair. waiting tends to be good vs low/mid tiers.

fox is gay but you could have had it with better edgeguard decisions and if you didn't do so many moves. play spacing games with your movement and try to trap him somewhere. you're lagging yourself up and giving him openings by doing so many moves all the time. don't roll into his dd space.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I the first one you seemed to have a clear shot with an aerial Swallow when you were recovering on your first life. I don't see why you didn't do that as it was clear you weren't going to kill him again that stock and it would have changed the outcome of game 1 completely. Game 2 he had a better idea of what was going on in the match and there was less you could do about it.
I'd say you did pretty well in the Fox match but the Pikachu one had a fair bit of stupidity on both sides.

Triple R

Smash Lord
if you gain the ability to regulate your move spam to more appropriate times and wavedash oos/in general instead of rolling everywhere, your speed and control will improve drastically.

edit:

just play like 2003 sheik vs. pikachu. f-tilt a lot, wd back a lot, d-tilt a lot, etc. jumping is risky when you're both in a neutral stance because his uair *****, his u-smash *****, and his nair is significantly faster than all your aerials (except bair) so he can often stuff your aerials before they come out if he SHFFLs into your space when you're airborne. obv you have to jump to chase/pressure/follow him, but if you're both on the ground, there are usually better defenses in that MU than jump back fair. waiting tends to be good vs low/mid tiers.

fox is gay but you could have had it with better edgeguard decisions and if you didn't do so many moves. play spacing games with your movement and try to trap him somewhere. you're lagging yourself up and giving him openings by doing so many moves all the time. don't roll into his dd space.
Thanks for the advice. When I read it I knew what you typed is true. I really just have to be more patient and space more instead of rushing in with fairs all the time. Wavedash outta shield I'm beginning to use more against shield pressure, but then I went back to rolling alot again, I'll have to remind myself not to do it as much.

I the first one you seemed to have a clear shot with an aerial Swallow when you were recovering on your first life. I don't see why you didn't do that as it was clear you weren't going to kill him again that stock and it would have changed the outcome of game 1 completely. Game 2 he had a better idea of what was going on in the match and there was less you could do about it.
I'd say you did pretty well in the Fox match but the Pikachu one had a fair bit of stupidity on both sides.
A swallocide would have been too risky. Fox can just stuff an inhale attempt with bair if he wants, and if I miss I put myself in a position to get shine spiked.

Thanks for calling both me and the pikachu stupid. That sure was helpful....

Massive

Smash Champion
It might just be your style, but I didn't really see you doing anything out of your dair approaches. It's a pretty standard approach for me to dair>lcancel>utilt spam on the back of people's shields (you can start utilts before they can get out of the shield stun if you time the dair correctly).

I used to do this to N64's pika pretty frequently and it usually leads to a free uair at mid %s... it actually works pretty well on most other characters I've run into as well; the utilts will usually clink a shine and it absolutely wrecks any characters with a shield size problem *coughgannondorfcough*.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Thanks for calling both me and the pikachu stupid. That sure was helpful....
Sorry. I thought you played well in the Fox matchup but upthrow over the edge killing yourself really did seem quite dumb. I was impressed by his ability to wall jump and recover from that but not by his ability to kill himself attempting to stop your recovery later on.

Triple R

Smash Lord
It might just be your style, but I didn't really see you doing anything out of your dair approaches. It's a pretty standard approach for me to dair>lcancel>utilt spam on the back of people's shields (you can start utilts before they can get out of the shield stun if you time the dair correctly).

I used to do this to N64's pika pretty frequently and it usually leads to a free uair at mid %s... it actually works pretty well on most other characters I've run into as well; the utilts will usually clink a shine and it absolutely wrecks any characters with a shield size problem *coughgannondorfcough*.
I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm so used to waiting for a response from them cause usually things aren't safe, but I'll have to try that and see how it works.

Sorry. I thought you played well in the Fox matchup but upthrow over the edge killing yourself really did seem quite dumb. I was impressed by his ability to wall jump and recover from that but not by his ability to kill himself attempting to stop your recovery later on.
It was a fthrow not an uthrow, plus that was an error by me. I meant to dthrow him. I would never go for a kirbycide throw at that low of percent. They can break out way too easy. Plus he didn't wall jump, he just upb'ed back to the ledge... I don't even have to look at the video to check cause pikachu can't wall jump in melee lol

Edit: Another video of me. This is from the end of January at a big round robin best 3/5 tourney/smashfest thing we had. It's against MaxBerger's Fox. I'll probably be having a decent amount of vids since Jamesparrow has been recording alot lately at tournies and stuff. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTeDhxdRr3A

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It was a fthrow not an uthrow, plus that was an error by me. I meant to dthrow him. I would never go for a kirbycide throw at that low of percent.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the horizontal throws. That explains it.

EDIT: And I can't see the latest video due to youtube spontaneously deciding to lock me out by linking to my google account that never worked. Stupid youtube changes!

EDIT 2: Fixed the problem (for now) and I'd say you did really well there. I'm not sure your dodging paid off but the Ftilt of Doom was great and the double Bair > Swallowcide was insane!
This Fox didn't seem to grab you as much as the last one and I don't know how he filed to when you used Stone.

BunBun

Smash Master
I've only watched like 2 mins so far, because MLP is on, but NEVER use up B to get onto the stage if you can help it xD

It's like a free KO if they hit you.

Also, when you recover against Ganon, go low, always. You can meteor cancel his dair, and that's all he has low that you can't tech.

Your music choice is pro though. I love that song.

EDIT: Lol, use some uair. Also, nice crouch under his down b =3

n0ne

Smash Ace
ryuu seika, well, when uve been playing melee since 2001 the music kinda gets boring so u try to change as much as possible just to make it different . And yeah... as i said.. i used him for fun
Matches 2 and 3 are better
My mains are Falcon Mario and Dorf

bunbun thx but that was pure luck lol and a lil bit o reflexes

BunBun

Smash Master
I just tested it lol.

Interesting find though, if you use uair instead of fair, you get the same distance as with fair, but you keep the vertical that you normally get with the jump =3.

Also, bair jumping goes the same distance as fair jumping.

Basically, Uair jumping is superior in terms of actual recovery.

Massive

Smash Champion
I didn't know there was a recovery distance, that's kind of cool.
Granted the difference in horizontal is pretty small, but still, the uair one actually looks useful.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I thought this was fairly common knowledge?

Anyway, need to get some kirby vids recorded for critiquing purposes, taking smash less seriously recently so trolling my way through tournament with kirby sounds like a good use of my time :)
Would probably do better than my spacies lol

Triple R

Smash Lord
I thought this was fairly common knowledge?
I don't know if you are talking about the recovering in general with a move or the uair thing, but the uair is not common knowledge. I have never seen anyone do it.

Edit: oh i kinda didn't read all your words bunbun. So it goes the same distance, but uair just gets you a little higher while recovering... In that case I'm going to keep on using fair, cause it's more practical when people are edgeguarding you anyway.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I was talking about recovering with moves in general but the fact that uair gives a bit more vertical leeway is kinda intuitive because you can get out of the move quicker so can jump earlier. Fair and bair last a bit longer so you can't retain as much vertical movement in general, and dair is just lol.

I usually just do fair if I'm recovering from a corner as it's easier to maintain the direction that way, but switch to uair if I'm having to recover anything under horizontal from the stage from distance.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Game 1: you died by dodge recovering into a ledge hog when a Final Cutter would have saved you. Later you dodged down into an attack that sent you flying. Also, you'd have been shot less if you chose port 3.
Game 2: your dodging didn't do you any good ever. Why did you do it so much?
Game 3: *shrugs* who knows what went wrong here.

BunBun

Smash Master
Game 1 you died by dodge recovering into a ledge hog when a Final Cutter would have saved you. Later you dodged down into an attack that sent you flying. Also, you'd have been shot less if you chose port 3.
All of this is useless advice. Nice job.

RRR: I haven't watched any of it yet. I'll get back to you on it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
How is that useless? I keep seeing people dodge upward while an opponent hogs the ledge. I really don't understand why they don't just Final Cutter as they were clearly close enough to make the stage (rather than the ledge) if they did. How is "know when to dodge and when to cutter" not helpful?
"Starting closer to a Falco gets you shot less" seems like simple but reasonable advice too. Picking port 3 positions you more centrally so you'd be closer no matter what they picked.

BunBun

Smash Master
Just in that one case, there is none. However, trying to give general advice that ever includes "use final cutter to recover" is just wrong. Ifit has the possibility of saving you, air dodge is always the better choice.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Game 1: you died by dodge recovering into a ledge hog when a Final Cutter would have saved you. Later you dodged down into an attack that sent you flying. Also, you'd have been shot less if you chose port 3.
Game 2: your dodging didn't do you any good ever. Why did you do it so much?
Game 3: *shrugs* who knows what went wrong here.
Game1: You do realize how close that dodge was to getting me onstage, right? Plus I had no more jumps I couldn't get any closer. The final cutter would have been edge hogged in the same manner. It wasn't close enough to land onstage. I airdodged because I was right next to Falco. If I didn't airdodge, Falco could have simply bair'ed me and I would've died. Airdodging was probably the best option. If I would'nt have shot a laser on my 4th jump, the dodge probably could have made it back onstage. Using Final cutter there would have been a sure way to get edgehogged.

As far as the dodging down. A time would be nice. A saw I did it twice, but they are both accidents. Once was because of a laser. Without a time I don't know how to respond besides it was probably an accident.

Picking port 3 for that reason is silly. Falco will shoot lasers if he wants....

Game2: I don't know what you are talking about here. I didn't really see myself airdodge at all. If you mean rolling, I will agree I need to roll less.

Top Bottom