• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Video Thread

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Crouch so you're low to the ground and minimize the amount of area she can hit you. By doing so, remarkably little of her moves actually hit you, including her dash attack, jabs, grab, and any sort of rising aerial. It also makes her have to aim her float aerials and turnips in a more narrow area, which means they'll be easier to avoid and more obvious.

If she sits there and crouches, you can bait her D-smash and grab her, or space your Bair.

Though it seems like a good idea to just lob Bairs at her, you have to be somewhat reserved because you have no aerial mobility and she spends a lot of time moving back and waiting for you to miss so she can run under you and do SH Nairs, dash attacks, and FC Nairs. Or she might just move back and space Fair and beat it outright. Lots of stuff works.

In general, use your movement and try to keep yourself from being trapped in bad situations. Don't get desperate to hit her, and stay as safe as possible.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If Peach runs directly at you and gets close enough to D-smash, stop crouching. Problem solved. She's really slow :/

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Peach's dash attack is duckable? This is good news. Very good news, indeed. I will abuse this knowledge to the fullest.

Thanks, KirbyKaze.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDo2Tsvih6I&feature=related

me vs bunbun my head completley fried due to wearing a leather jacket like a ****** and we learn how rigged the F***ing edges are as ppichu anyone else in the F***ing game would have sweetspoted.

no johns but for the last 2 matches and I remembered was I camped really hard, I got a 2 hit combo and I was super hyped because I suck at comboing. Why would I lsiten to people telling me to counter pick dreamland vs kirby? WTf?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah my f***ing brain was cooked, unlike most people my johns are uber legit I was getting 4 stocked like 5 times in a row by some random guy and my john was the the tv was way to high(downstars before we knew we were meant to be upstairs.) when we went upstairs I coplately ***** his s***.

also I can't believe I in fact lost EVERY pichu ditto I played that day WTF? I also didn't lose to any puffs that day and I did well against all the marths I played I took 2 stocks off of sweet's marth. but theres a was reason why I don't play on YS as pichu.

strife98

Smash Rookie
I'm still getting used to all the advanced techniques of Melee and would like any help on moves and skills that would help improve my game. Here is a video of my best fight. I'm TRGT (Target)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHh2b45EmoA

Any help would be very thankful and appreciated. ^-^

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Why would I lsiten to people telling me to counter pick dreamland vs kirby? WTf?
Someone please explain this, I thought the stage was good for me.

Also, why does BunBun play just like me except with hammers and actually being good?

Any help would be very thankful and appreciated. ^-^
It pains me to say this but there's one really obvious thing you're doing wrong: you're not wave dashing.
Instead you're using dodges which leave you in a helpless state at the end. What's more, your opponent knows exactly where your dodge will end as you have no control during the move. I'm surprised your they didn't capitalise on it more.

strife98

Smash Rookie
It pains me to say this but there's one really obvious thing you're doing wrong: you're not wave dashing.
Instead you're using dodges which leave you in a helpless state at the end. What's more, your opponent knows exactly where your dodge will end as you have no control during the move. I'm surprised your they didn't capitalise on it more.
Yeah thats the main thing i need to start doing >.<. Like I can wave dash, I just need to start using it in battle and getting used to doing it.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I would say to expect a lot of failures at first as being able to use a technique and being able to pull it off in context are two different things. Expect it to make you worse before it makes you better. If you persevere at it though, you should see improvements in time.

The other changes you should make are less obvious and should be suggested by someone else as I have no real tournament experience.

Massive

Smash Champion
You're approaching with forward air(fair)... actually you're doing everything with forward air. You need to use Kirby's Back Aerial(bair) a LOT more. It's arguably the most useful move kirby has. The fair is good for shield pressure or making yourself difficult to hit, but effectively useless from a KO perspective (they can always DI away from the 3rd hit, making KOs a rarity). Kirby's up aerial(uair) is great for KOs, but it is substantially more difficult to connect than bair.

Arguably kirby's best smash attack by a large margin is downsmash, look into that (It will kill upwards at an OK percent, there is also a ring it generates outside of the regular hitbox which hits opponents sideways).

I can also say use uptilt more frequently. Newer players who don't understand DI as well can be easily undone by a kirby uptilt, even foxes.

Finally, when you've knocked someone off the side, DO NOT WAIT FOR THEM TO GET BACK ON.
Every character except jigglypuff is more vulnerable when they are off the stage. Stand near the ledge or take the ledge to reduce your opponent's recovery options, then exploit them (usually with bairs or tilts).

edit:
Don't worry too much about mastering wavedashing, it is merely a tool in your arsenal. You need to get your fundamentals down before you worry about adding something which only adds substantial benefit at higher levels of play.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Don't worry too much about mastering wavedashing, it is merely a tool in your arsenal. You need to get your fundamentals down before you worry about adding something which only adds substantial benefit at higher levels of play.
I don't think you understand. I didn't suggest that because I felt he needed to wave dash, I suggested it because he uses dodge in its place and that makes him far too vulnerable. A felt he'd be better off learning to wave dash now than learning how not to dodge, then having to learn how two again when he finally did master wave dashing.

EDIT: And one thing to keep in mind is that Kirby hits with the back of his head during mot moves. In some it's more powerful than the regular hitbox. This isn't something to actively try to accomplish as the range of such hitboxes is shorter and the setup generally leaves you open. It's simply good to know so that you can use it wen you have to.

Massive

Smash Champion
I don't think you understand. I didn't suggest that because I felt he needed to wave dash, I suggested it because he uses dodge in its place and that makes him far too vulnerable. A felt he'd be better off learning to wave dash now than learning how not to dodge, then having to learn how two again when he finally did master wave dashing.
Do you mean rolling? I don't think I saw him spotdodge a single time.
Yeah he probably rolls too much, but he isn't being punished for it (yet). That will go away when someone starts punishing it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with rolling, I think he should keep doing it.
If he needs to practice any Advanced Tactic it should be L-Canceling, probably the most important advanced tactic in the game. Wavedashing is useful, but for lower levels of skill it's more a flourish than anything else.

EDIT: And one thing to keep in mind is that Kirby hits with the back of his head during mot moves. In some it's more powerful than the regular hitbox. This isn't something to actively try to accomplish as the range of such hitboxes is shorter and the setup generally leaves you open. It's simply good to know so that you can use it wen you have to.
...what?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Do you mean rolling? I don't think I saw him spotdodge a single time.
Rolling = Dodging. If I meant spot dodging I'd've said so.

Yeah he probably rolls too much, but he isn't being punished for it (yet). That will go away when someone starts punishing it.
You think so? In that case my advice is totally useless. As you say, wave dashing wouldn't do him that much good, it was simply an alternative that wouldn't require a change of playing style.

Put simply "When facing away but still touching your enemy, don't turn round to Fsmash". There are rather more examples than that but it sums things up quite well.

Massive

Smash Champion
I'm going to go on the record and say that fair is a better approach then bair.
I agree with you.

Fair is a great approach. My statement was not a generalization; it was a critique on the posted video.

I guess I should have said something like:

Using fair as your only aerial is not conducive to winning a match. Bair will KO more easily Fair will. Fair is a good, safe approach that negates much of the danger of shieldgrabs, but don't rely on it to kill anything reliably.

strife98

Smash Rookie
yeah i don't really know why i didn't do anything when i knocked him off the side of the map, but one thing i won't do is edge grab while they are trying to recover. I mean i know it's a legit skill and you even get a bonus for getting a kill doing it, but i personally really don't like it. I feel better knowing that I win (or almost won) a match for my skill and not having them fall when they have a chance of saving themselves. I mean spiking them down and edge guarding i will do because there are ways of getting around that.

anyways, L canceling is another i need to start doing, again i know how to do it, i just need to implement it into my style. i'm still trying to start bairing more, still finding my self turning around to do a bair then turn back around to do a fair >.<. i usually try to dair them when they are off the edge, but i don't even remember (if i even had a reason) why i just did nothing and let him come back :/. the thing is i don't own melee sadly so i can't practice at home >.<. i have to go to my friends house and have him teach me lol. one of his ways of teaching is losing is the best way to learn XD

Top Bottom