• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

kirby up-b super armor???

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
well i was fooling around in training mode with kirby and i put the cpu metaknight on attack and as i started up b it seemed to have super armor agenst the first strike of his fair cuz up-b finished even though he went from 72 to 75 without flinching

i dont know if it was super armor or not but either way its pretty cool

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
o_O

well THAT'S interesting..was it on the way up or down that you got hit?

NIN

Smash Rookie
i have also noticed something like super armor when using up-b, but i cant exactly remember when in the animation it happened--ill try to mess around and experiment with it a bit sometime

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Coulda swore that happened to my Kirby a few times...maybe we should look into this?

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
that would be cool even though im not part of the kirby community

man i feel special ive never developed any characters game or any techs for that matter yayyyyyyyy

now if only i could find something useful for pit

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... I've been knocked out of FC so many times that if there are SA frames on it, they must be pretty short.

Are you sure you didn't just hit FC right after getting hit? I've had times when I get hit by a weak hit right as I'm using FC and it stops all momentum and just goes into the FC animation despite my damage going up.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Hmmm... I've been knocked out of FC so many times that if there are SA frames on it, they must be pretty short.

Are you sure you didn't just hit FC right after getting hit? I've had times when I get hit by a weak hit right as I'm using FC and it stops all momentum and just goes into the FC animation despite my damage going up.
The other possibility is that it's during a very useless time where usually you've already been hit out of it(assuming they were behind you) or they don't bother attacking you because they're in front and there's a giant blue sword thingy blocking their path.

I'm going to be gone for a few hours but an easy test:
Have Squirtle/ZSS stand behind Kirby as he up+b's and jab(1 frame) at various poiints in time during it. After that use Marth's fair(4 frames) to test the aerial parts of the up+b.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion

that might have happened but it definately looked like a hit as i started it

i dunno it was a few days ago in training mode and i dont quite remember because i have no capture card or replay video proof

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Not really. Even if it's true (which I honestly doubt), then it's so ridiculously hard to time that it doesn't matter. You're still going to get the **** beat out of you if you get hit as FC starts.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
you know what does have super armor though, kirbies down b, i heard the armor is so super that the only way to make it fair was to make kirby vulnerable before and after, so if thats not top tier super armor, then idk what is

Pink murder

Smash Ace
Well i do...kinda xD
I use it in two ways.
1.When theyre trying to recover from the bottom, i transform and hit them to thier deaths. (I usually only do it when theyre at a high %, to insure their death)
2.I often use it as a mindgame killing move. They're coming from the corner, if i see them floating to me, i jump just the right distance and transform, they usually land right where my rock is gonna hit and then BAM!

My uses are both hard to explain :/
It would be better if you could see them.

Wanderer7

Smash Rookie
honestly, this could be big _if_ it's true.
make it happen! =)
ummm no. not a chance. i play Ike, second Kirby. Ike has much more SA frames in Aether, we don't really use that much to attack because its so predictable, if you miss the aether you've just given your opponent plenty of time to get behind you, charge up their strongest attack. aether's SA is mostly useful for recovering. the only time Ike can use aether to attack well is when we use it to surprise opponents (like in a situation when Ike would USUALLY jab or Uair we can switch it with aether only to mix it up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIMgVnNsp8

watch the edge battle 50 seconds into the match. even IF Kirby did have like 1 SA frame, just imagine the insane timing needed to use it there.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
You can blow kirby away from his vB if the attack was i think over 30%...but who can take more than 30% in one single blow? xD
So yea, guess it is super armor :p
It's not in a single blow, it's total.

It works unlike anything else in the game. Once you accumulate 30% or more while in Stone form, you take the knockback from the last hit, and it transforms you back, but you don't take damage.

2 easy ways to see this (I'm sure there are plenty more, like Bob-ombs, don't they do 30%?)
1: go to New Pork City, turn into a Stone on top of that big monster. It will dominate you and send you flying, and you'll die at 0% (if you don't walltech or whatever)
His attack normally does what, 200%?
2. Go into a custom stage with spikes and turn into a Stone on the spikes. Each spike hit does 15%. After 2, it will untransform you and you'll fly up the normal amount, but take no damage.
Lol, you use it that much?! XD
Bet you get punished for it though :p
Yes, yes he does.

It's hard to punish it on wifi sometimes, when you think "surely he won't use rock AGAIN"

-_-

/slaplion

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
ummm no. not a chance. i play Ike, second Kirby. Ike has much more SA frames in Aether, we don't really use that much to attack because its so predictable, if you miss the aether you've just given your opponent plenty of time to get behind you, charge up their strongest attack. aether's SA is mostly useful for recovering. the only time Ike can use aether to attack well is when we use it to surprise opponents (like in a situation when Ike would USUALLY jab or Uair we can switch it with aether only to mix it up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygIMgVnNsp8

watch the edge battle 50 seconds into the match. even IF Kirby did have like 1 SA frame, just imagine the insane timing needed to use it there.
that was pretty cool, actually.

anyway i wasn't suggesting that kirby would use it all the time, but sometimes it's nice to have options. especially when recovering. and any SA frames would be good, even if it's only to deal some damage when you're at 190% or something. plus FC's wave pushes the enemy up, down, then away, so it'd be good for spacing.

but yeah, the timing would be insanely stupid and kirby has better options - but another one wouldn't hurt.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Yes, yes he does.

It's hard to punish it on wifi sometimes, when you think "surely he won't use rock AGAIN"

-_-

/slaplion
Hey! I use it less when I'm playing good people. It's hard to adjust... I've been playing so many people who I can just dash up to and hammer (they expect a dash attack or grab) or stone slide forever on Yoshi's Island. BTW Asdioh, that might be my new favorite stage. NOT brinstar. Yea. You heard me right. BRINSTAR ISN'T MY FAVORITE STAGE. Whatcha gonna do about that? Huh? Huh? Nothing. That's right. :p

Top Bottom