• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Some ideas with Snake/Kirby (Although YBM and Infern team so much either one of them should be able to tell you how to play that team):

-Omni-gay (Depends on your slot. If Snake takes 4th slot it leaves you with 1st, so this could be a bad tactic.)
-Double grenades. Having grenades everywhere makes it very hard for the opposing team to attack you and gives great stage control, but it can also get in the way if you're not experienced with them/team isn't used to dealing with that many explosives.
-Snake racks damage/stock tank/stage control, Kirby gimps and goes for those early kills. This is usually the one I see YBM and Infern do, but then I don't know how effectively it works if you ARENT YbM. He gets early kills all the time for no reason, in both singles and doubles.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Kirby d3 is not that great but not that bad kirbys quick attack when spaced right can take away enough shield for say a d3 fsmash to poke and kill also d3s bair or nair go well after a kirby d/f throw and you can get a u tilt off those too I believe

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
@DRDN, no more advice from you. You thoroughly screwed up your chance.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I'm not trying to keep you quiet, just trying to stop you from giving more bad advice.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
If I could read that scrambled mess of text you typed then I could tell you how much it sucks. But then again, that's only me.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Kirby/D3 have the following together:

- D3 DThrow -> Kirby Dair -> Regrab -> Repeat
- D3 Dthrow -> Kirby DThrow -> Repeat
- D3 Dthrow -> Kirby Fsmash/Grounded Hammer
- Kirby Fthrow -> D3 Utilt
- Kirby UThrow -> D3 Utilt

Besides those specific things, both Kirby and D3 can make excellent use of Inhale in dubs (esp D3), and they work very well together, IMO. Kirby racks up damage/kills, D3 kills/stock tanks. It's a good combination.

I'm sure you (meaning Tech_Chase) can ask Y.b.M/Infern about Kirby/Snake, because while I do like it and know a little about it, I actually have never teamed with a Snake competitively before. I've only teamed with a Snake during friendlies. LOL.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
That video is sick. I think this opens up a lot for Kirby if we can get creative, so I'm gonna practice and try out **** and report back all my findings on Sunday!

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Skid Cancel Shield Grabbing certainly opens up more avenues of exploration for Kirby players to try out. Normally dashing in and baiting with a Shield is the common grab set-up, but since the skid into ShieldGrab is 2 frames faster it might allow for a more aggressive gameplay.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Kirby boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Hmm... well, whenever I see someone pick R.O.B I go, "Oh goody a big target!" One grab and it can get fun. :) Although, don't get me wrong, the match itself isn't easy nor hard. I just get into a mindset of getting him up in the air, bait, and punish hard. His poking is quite annoying, though.

Also, I got a question. Do we have frame advantage during a d-tilt trip to F-smash? As in, y'know, you d-tilt them, they trip and then you shove your foot in your face. Is it be a legit combo? Given you tripped them as close to you as possible. Amateur question, I guess. :ohwell:

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the character getting tripped since trip animations are different from character to character. But I'm pretty sure it is even though there's ~27 frames between the Dtilt and a buffered Fsmash.

Can Kirby shield grab MK's SH Fair if its autocancelled?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Timing-wise, yes you can grab Meta Knight out of a SH F-air (auto cancel). Spacing-wise, the Meta Knight should be moving away with the F-air so that your Grab will whiff and he can punish with a tilt.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Alright, I need help on two things:

1) Peach matchup. Second tournament in a row I've lost in Loser's to a Peach. I really just cannot control the match.

2) What are Kirby's set-ups into F-Smash, if any? I really get discouraged and lose momentum in a match when I cannot just get a kill and it'd really help if I could finish up my opponents when I need to.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
1) You should check the match up advice thread.

2) Dair > fsmash (sometimes) and dtilt > fsmash (if it trips and the opponent is in range, should also stutter step for extra range if possible)

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Yeah, I should check the matchup threads. One of the reasons I suggested one of them was for a good reason, lol, I'm stupid.

@Gova: Dair to Fsmash does work sometimes, but it's not reliable. I'll try the dtilt trip one, though. That seems like it'll be more viable.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Alright, I need help on two things:

1) Peach matchup. Second tournament in a row I've lost in Loser's to a Peach. I really just cannot control the match.
Keep an eye on her float height. If she goes too low, fullhop a bair. If she goes too high, keep an eye on her dairs. Learn that move, like how many kicks she does before her hitbox deactivates, so you can crouch under them and shield as soon as you're safe. What helped me when I played Excel_Zero back in PR was utilt OoS>bair in almost all instances, and lots of fullhopped retreating bairs. If she's coming down from high up, DON'T jump and attempt to juggle her with aerials, she'll dair right past you. However, you CAN wait for her to land near you then juggle with utilts/shieldgrabs. Oh, and don't try to gimp her if she's in a position where she can upB and reach the ledge. If she's farther away from the ledge, then by all means go and dair to your heart's content, but if she's near enough that she can sweetspot, keep in mind that her parachute will beat your everything.

I dunno what other advice to give off the top of my head.

2) What are Kirby's set-ups into F-Smash, if any? I really get discouraged and lose momentum in a match when I cannot just get a kill and it'd really help if I could finish up my opponents when I need to.
I personally never setup my fsmashes, because all the setups aren't reliable, really. I use them as punishers for when my opponent is landing or using a jointed move or a move with a smaller disjoint than Kirby's fsmash. The thing that gets most up-and-coming Kirby players is that they depend on fsmash for early kills, and they start throwing it around and getting punished and killed for it, then they lose their advantage, their cool, and eventually the game. What I recommend, Rapture, is that you leave fsmash alone until you're ABSOLUTELY sure it will hit, and not use it as a mindgame, or when you think your opponent might mess up. Use it sparingly! You should kill more often with bair, uthrow, dsmash/usmash, and gimps than you should with fsmash. At least, that's how I feel about the move.

Don't know what other advice to give, can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Hope anything I said helps you out, though.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Rapture, Kirby has no 'setups' into Fsmash. Dair -> Fsmash is unrelaiable, Dtilt -> Fsmash requires a trip (and even then, sometimes it doesn't work), and first hit of Fair AC'd (Auto-canceled) -> Fsmash only works as a mix-up.

With that being said, Kewwky's advice about not using Fsmash works wonders. Start playing games without Fsmash, period. As you get better at finding, pinpointing, and reading habits and play styles, you'll find some applications for Fsmash, and you'll net those kills you need. Hope that helps you!

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Her fair beats our bair so even if it does outrange I don't think it would matter since it would get beaten out anyways.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Her fair beats ur bair everytime, and our bair rarely trades with her bair. It sounds like she has the advantage, but it really depends on how you use your moves, or how she uses her moves. Just make sure you're using your aerials (mostly bair and fair though) in a safe manner.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Can our u air beat her bair if were a little below her?

:phone:
Nope, our uair can't beat her bair no matter where you angle it, unless she's right above you, her bair misses you on purpose, and you're uairing in the opposite direction she's facing.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
what about our fair can the first hit cancel out the bair and then hits 2 and 3 hit her?
Nope, aerials can't be cancelled out (unless it's a glide attack from MK, from what i can remember that's the only one). What would happen is either a trade, we hit her after hitbox disappears/before her hitbox appears, or Peach hits us out of our fair.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
are any of our aeerials faster then her bair and nair?
I think our bair can be comparable in terms of startup/end frames. Fair wouldn't be as comparable, but it's still good. Remember that both characters are "combo" characters, depending on their strings/combos for damage, so they both have relatively fast aerials all around.

Is there a combo that is 0- death on falco?
Nope, unless you count kirbicides, or inhale breaks (we inhale you, jump off, you break out, we footstool you. You'll be too low to recover, and the footstool is 100% guaranteed).

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
I think our bair can be comparable in terms of startup/end frames. Fair wouldn't be as comparable, but it's still good. Remember that both characters are "combo" characters, depending on their strings/combos for damage, so they both have relatively fast aerials all around.

Nope, unless you count kirbicides, or inhale breaks (we inhale you, jump off, you break out, we footstool you. You'll be too low to recover, and the footstool is 100% guaranteed).
Okay thanks I was just wondering!

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hmm... well, whenever I see someone pick R.O.B I go, "Oh goody a big target!" One grab and it can get fun. :) Although, don't get me wrong, the match itself isn't easy nor hard. I just get into a mindset of getting him up in the air, bait, and punish hard. His poking is quite annoying, though.

Also, I got a question. Do we have frame advantage during a d-tilt trip to F-smash? As in, y'know, you d-tilt them, they trip and then you shove your foot in your face. Is it be a legit combo? Given you tripped them as close to you as possible. Amateur question, I guess. :ohwell:
Thank you, really. I would say this is a pretty even MU since both have their own shenanigans.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I can't say I've figured out the Peach MU at all yet, but here's a few things I've found:

-Her stutter step Fsmash beats Bair EVERY time. It doesn't matter which one she pulls out, it wins. Watch out when spacing Bairs, especially if she's hovering low to the ground; she gets down to do Fsmash surprisingly fast.
-If you bait that Fsmash, it can allow you to land an Fsmash of your own, but don't do it often: while it can work, it's not safe.
-Insta-throw turnips. It messes with her game.
-Don't try to punish FF Fair. Ever.
-If she FFs an aerial that isn't Dair, wait for the jab before trying to punish.

Triple R

Smash Lord
So someone keeps on telling me that I should do more falling uairs on people's shields since Kirby has the frame advantage afterwards. My question: is this true? If it is I will gladly throw it into my game more. Does anyone have the tools to test this?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So someone keeps on telling me that I should do more falling uairs on people's shields since Kirby has the frame advantage afterwards. My question: is this true? If it is I will gladly throw it into my game more. Does anyone have the tools to test this?
That is really unsafe. The startup for the uair and the amount of time it takes for you to land after the hitbox finally comes out makes the move pretty unreliable if used that way. You can try to integrate it into your game, but my guess is that you won't like what you see. :/

Triple R

Smash Lord
That is really unsafe. The startup for the uair and the amount of time it takes for you to land after the hitbox finally comes out makes the move pretty unreliable if used that way. You can try to integrate it into your game, but my guess is that you won't like what you see. :/
Well, that's why I'm asking. My instinct is that it doesn't have frame advantage, and the move has comparable lag to bair. Just wondering if someone could test this.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Since when does Kirby get frame advantage on Shield hit? 0_o

When he copies Falco's lasers, lololololol

Top Bottom