• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I guess? Kirby's SD is enough to avoid the explosion from grenades, so (if you're in the lead) there's really no problem in just standing there and Shielding/SD'ing grenades. And if you have Snake's ability copied, standing down there means you can throw them right back at him.

At any rate, if Kirby is in the lead, Snake is hard-pressed to do anything substantial to Kirby without taking some sort of risk while Kirby has control of the bottom of Norfair.

Now, if Kirby ISN'T in the lead, controlling the bottom doesn't even matter, IMO. LOL.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
Can you guys give me some tips and ticks to use against mk? My kirby just doesn't get the job done like he used to in this mu.

:phone:

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
You just have to be patient - almost as patient as Kirby has to be against IC's. Never be too aggressive, and remember what MK is capable of to make sure you aren't trying to punish something Kirby can't punish.

And if you're recovering, be very creative with the way you recover. I like to bait MK into dropping down and more often than not he takes a Uair and I'm able to recover safely.

That's really just the general stuff, though. Knowing exactly what Kirby can and can't punish is really key to the MU. If you need any help with that, I'd be happy to elaborate :)

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Can you guys give me some tips and ticks to use against mk? My kirby just doesn't get the job done like he used to in this mu.

All we got is this, pretty much. Still seems empty, but it's because there's not much activity in these boards, which means not much input from different people. Hopefully later on we can keep filling it up though.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
I got this guys:

Against MK remember:

Stay grounded. Shield a lot. Punish him when he lands after wasting his jumps. If he's not in the air, make him wish he was (and the best way to do this is shuffling around with a bunch of pivot grabs and dash grabs mixed in).

If he's off stages, stay above stage level and hammer. BUT STAY SAFE. If you're off stage against him, stay stage level or higher or you're dead. MIX UP RECOVERY.

DSMASH. FSMASH. USMASH. UTHROW. BAIR. AERIAL HAMMER.

Win.

EDIT: Go for the grab combo at 0%. Fthrow>UAir>reverseUTilt>BAir. Even if it all doesn't hit, it's the best option you have @0%.

kirbydabest

Smash Journeyman
ok this isnt really a kirby related question but its coming from a kirby seeking advice what do u do when u feel youve hit a wall and feel like ur not improving as significantly as u want like youve reached a limit to getting better and feel like ur no longer improving but rather stuck in one place

many kirby's who run these boards are pretty accomplished and i just want to know if u ever went through this and how u continued to improve to be more successful in tournament and improved your game

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I know exactly how you feel. For a while, my Kirby plateau'd and I felt extremely frustrated with myself for it. My advice is to:

1. Play MetaKnight in training mode.

This is huge, believe it or not. I'm not saying you should pick him up and secondary him. No, if you wanna stick to just Kirby, go right ahead! All I'm saying is you should go into training mode and play around with him. See just HOW powerful he is as a character. Do a few mix-ups and frame traps, try and gimp a CPU. You'll notice that you'll play a little different as Kirby, and that may be what'll kick-start you. It also helps you with every other piece of advice I'm about to give you!

2. Play differently.

Sometimes it's a style of play that plateau's, and if you feel that's the case, then try and be a little more aggressive, a little more campy, and try and combine your play-style with the opposite that you're forcing. Work on transitioning smoothly between offense, defense, and edge-guarding. With a little bit of practice you'll have an entirely different Kirby!

3. Go offstage

As a Kirby player, gimping is HUGE. If you don't go offstage and/or don't feel comfortable off-stage, you'll find yourself missing a lot of damage and KO opportunities. So, go play some bots (or humans) and go offstage as much as possible. Don't care if you SD or mess up - the point is to learn how to control that incredible area of the stage. Once you do, you'll find yourself netting low % gimps and racking on a ton of damage.

And what I feel is most important:

4. PLAY AROUND/BE CREATIVE

One day, I decided to go into training mode and practice with Kirby's copy abilities. One day, I decided to master B-Reverse Inhale and see what I can string into it with. One day, I decided to run off the ledge and aerial hammer towards the stage as soon as I dropped off (I stage-spiked a Lucario with it).

All of those little things I practiced have helped my Kirby grow (and continue to grow). Go into Training Mode and play around with things. Practice different throw strings. practice odd offstage gimping. Practice any kind of mix-up/cross-up you can think of. It doesn't matter if it's practical or not - just get your mind being creative. While many think a BnB Kirby is the best, I think a creative Kirby can be well-rewarded if played smartly, so go in there and try and think up of creative things!

I hope this advice helps you to become a better Kirby! :)

Triple R

Smash Lord
2. Play differently.

Sometimes it's a style of play that plateau's, and if you feel that's the case, then try and be a little more aggressive, a little more campy, and try and combine your play-style with the opposite that you're forcing. Work on transitioning smoothly between offense, defense, and edge-guarding. With a little bit of practice you'll have an entirely different Kirby!

4. PLAY AROUND/BE CREATIVE

One day, I decided to go into training mode and practice with Kirby's copy abilities. One day, I decided to master B-Reverse Inhale and see what I can string into it with. One day, I decided to run off the ledge and aerial hammer towards the stage as soon as I dropped off (I stage-spiked a Lucario with it).

All of those little things I practiced have helped my Kirby grow (and continue to grow). Go into Training Mode and play around with things. Practice different throw strings. practice odd offstage gimping. Practice any kind of mix-up/cross-up you can think of. It doesn't matter if it's practical or not - just get your mind being creative. While many think a BnB Kirby is the best, I think a creative Kirby can be well-rewarded if played smartly, so go in there and try and think up of creative things!

I hope this advice helps you to become a better Kirby! :) [/b]
I pretty much agree with both those points. Any time I feel like I'm not improving it's because I'm too set in my way, or I'm just too comfortable. I still feel like playing is the best way to improve but just make sure you are actually thinking while playing instead of the basic bair, utilts, and grabs we slowly dose off into as Kirby players.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
I remember there being a thread about it, but it looks like it's gone. LOL. As a general rule, Kirby can footstool those who fall faster than him, and is footstool'd by those who fall slower than him (and himself).

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar

Part V: The Great Question: Spit or Swallow? (or neither?) [And conclusion]

That answer, my friends, depends entirely on the situation and the people involved. Do you like how it tastes? Are you comfortable swallowing? Are you… Oops… umm… wrong guide…
This is my favorite part.

Anyway, now that I look at it. That list IS weird. :ohwell:
And still kinda uncertain of a few

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm thinking of editing it. I got some experience footstooling people (:awesome:), so all I need is the falling speed list someone got a while back at Tactical Discussion so I can make a perfect list. I dunno where that list is, although I asked for it in the advice thread so I may have an answer soon.

Characters Kirby can footstool out of an inhale break:
-Ike
-Dedede
-Wario
-Charizard
-Sonic
-Pikachu
-Zero Suit Samus
-Link
-Lucas
-Diddy Kong
-Meta Knight
-Bowser
-Ganondorf
-Captain Falcon
-Squirtle
-Falco
-Wolf
-Sheik
-Fox

I think those are the ones we can footstool. Could I get confirmation from other kirbies? Is there anyone missing, or someone who shouldn't be there.?

Triple R

Smash Lord
I'm thinking of editing it. I got some experience footstooling people (:awesome:), so all I need is the falling speed list someone got a while back at Tactical Discussion so I can make a perfect list. I dunno where that list is, although I asked for it in the advice thread so I may have an answer soon.

Characters Kirby can footstool out of an inhale break:
-Ike
-Dedede
-Wario
-Charizard
-Sonic
-Pikachu
-Zero Suit Samus
-Link
-Lucas
-Diddy Kong
-Meta Knight
-Bowser
-Ganondorf
-Captain Falcon
-Squirtle
-Falco
-Wolf
-Sheik
-Fox

I think those are the ones we can footstool. Could I get confirmation from other kirbies? Is there anyone missing, or someone who shouldn't be there.?
I always have mixed results with Meta Knight. I've footstooled him before, but he's footstooled me before. I don't have any objections/experience with any of the other ones though.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Meta Knight? Say it can't be soo??? O___O
You tested it Kew? Or are you saying this out of experience?
Experience, I don't have a tv nearby. I just chose the lightest character I always footstool out of an inhale break, and looked at characters who fell faster than him. The ones who fell slower I left out, and I noticed that those were the ones I was never able to footstool, like lucario, donkey kong, mk (he can uair us before we footstool him, and if he doesn't then it could go either way).

Once I get back to my room I'll explain why it works.

EDIT: So, what happens with inhale breaks isn't just that they fall faster than Kirby, there's another thing going on there. If you look closely, the opponent gets to react after breaking before Kirby does, so some characters that fall slightly faster than Kirby can jump above him and footstool before Kirby can finally move again. So, the line of who Kirby can footstool has to be drawn even lower.

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
@Kewkky: I'm pretty sure MK footstools Kirby. LOL. Unless you can prove that Kirby does, which would be mad **** in the MU.

@kirbydabest:

The Kirby guide has a list of strings Kirby can use. My favorites are Uair -> Bair -> Uair -> Uair, Dtilt -> Fsmash/Grab, FFUair -> Utilt (x2 depending on character) -> Bair -> B-Reverse Inhale, and Jab -> Dtilt -> Grab.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Bthrow > Uair
Fthrow > Fair > Uair
Dair > Ftilt/Grab (I haven't failed a single Dair>grab yet, so I'm guessing it's a true combo)
Ledgehop Fair>Grab
Ledgehop Dair>Utilt>Bair (land the ledgehop dair after slamming them down with a ledgehopped upB)

There's lots of true combos and strings everywhere. All of them are % dependent, and there's ones that your opponent can SDI out of. I don't think there can ever be a complete compilation of Kirby strings/true combos since most of us will probably start disagreeing with each other eventually. Best way to learn them is to learn Kirby well enough so that his combos just "come to you".

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
Besides Fall Speed, I think which way you're drifting has an effect on who gets footstooled when the fall speeds are similar. My reasoning behind this hypothesis is because when I go to FS a Falco, sometimes I get FS'd instead. Depending if I'm holding back to drift away from the stage, falling straight down, or drifting towards the stage.

It's just a hypothesis at this point because I'm not wasting the time to sit there.

Edit: Try jab>Dtilt, jab>Dtilt>DashGrab (if DTilt is shielded), jab>Dtilt>Ftilt ; not saying they'll all work, but worth a shot. (Jab>Dtilt works).

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I find ([jab-1] -> [jab-2] -> [D-tilt]) works a lot better than just one Jab.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Canceling after Jab 2 is safer than Jab 1? Hmmm...
I mean, I know neither one is really safe but which one gives you safer frames to follow up with something?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The only time I actually go for one Jab instead of two is to tap against the opponent's Shield to mess up their timing for Shield HitLag (then go for that Grab!)

HeyMaxF

Smash Rookie
Was looking at the Kirby to Snake MU and I didn't see this tactic. A better way to kill him out of his Up B is to just grab him if he's in range. Don't pummel him and let him break out. He won't be able to Up B again and a lot of Snake players I've done this to don't realize this until it's too late. Of course there'll be some players that do and they'll use their Down B to try and recover Which is pretty much a free hit and in some cases you might be able to regrab them out of their Up B.

HeyMaxF

Smash Rookie
Inhale to kirbycide is depends too much on certain situations. You'd only want to do that if you were ahead a stock, it's a positive win whether they break out or not, etc.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Was looking at the Kirby to Snake MU and I didn't see this tactic. A better way to kill him out of his Up B is to just grab him if he's in range. Don't pummel him and let him break out. He won't be able to Up B again and a lot of Snake players I've done this to don't realize this until it's too late. Of course there'll be some players that do and they'll use their Down B to try and recover Which is pretty much a free hit and in some cases you might be able to regrab them out of their Up B.
Whoops! Sorry about that. Yeah, all of us know about that already, and I forgot to add I. I bet it's because it's common sense to me, so I didn't even think about it while writing the tactics... Lol! Thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna go edit it in right now.

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
so lucario's fsmash is pretty annoying, I'm guessing kirby can't punish it very well and i have a hard time getting around the move. any suggestions on how to deal with it?

Top Bottom